Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red Bull overdose?

• 07-06-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

Went out last night and was the designated driver (by choice since I had work today) and decided to drink red bull to keep me awake. After 6 bottles of it my head was going loopy.
    It's really hard to explain the feeling I was having and since I dont drink red bull very much it's effect was very noticable.

By the end of the night (2am) my hands were shaking and my mind was all over the place. I was overanalysing everything and it was freaking me out.

Has this ever occured to anyone else? If you're out some night and not drinking, give it a go and see if the same happens you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Caliden wrote:
    Went out last night and was the designated driver (by choice since I had work today) and decided to drink red bull to keep me awake. After 6 bottles of it my head was going loopy.
    It's really hard to explain the feeling I was having and since I dont drink red bull very much it's effect was very noticable.

By the end of the night (2am) my hands were shaking and my mind was all over the place. I was overanalysing everything and it was freaking me out.

Has this ever occured to anyone else? If you're out some night and not drinking, give it a go and see if the same happens you.

Someone slipped a roophie into your drink man. Is your hole sore this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You probably had about 6000% your recommended daily allowance of caffeine

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Red bull contains a shedload of caffeine so it probably has something to with that. Didn't think it would have that sort of effect though. Thought you'd just wouldn't be able to sleep for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You dumped a load of sugar and caffine into your system... and you're surpised that this would have an adverse affect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

My head is fine, my drink was either in my hand or being watched by one of the lads all night.

You dumped a load of sugar and caffine into your system... and you're surpised that this would have an adverse affect?

I had hoped to be 'perky' since I wasn't drinking but I didn't expect something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I was drinking a lot of red bull during the day ... along with coke ... and coffee ... definitely bad for you ... limit yourself to 1 can ... from time to time ..

I tend to get very motivated while I'm drinking it ... and very hyper (would also get slight shakes) ... after doing this for a week or two though ... I really feel completely burnt out so I'm trying to stay off it as much as possible .. I guess there is a reason you can't buy it in france

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, you're meant to have a redbull for an energy kick, not drink 6 in a row. Of course it f*cked you up, it's just full of chemicals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You see... this is why we end up with idiotic warnings on everything.

Also try to avoid eating 6 Big Macs in a row as it might make you ill and hitting yourself in the head with a hammer 6 times probably won't be good for you either... I'm sure there are others to watch out for but hopefully you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

With a hammer you say...?

I usually find after 1/2 vodka red bulls I cant sleep at all. Even if I've had a load of drink. Dont understand how people can drink the stuff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Awful stuff.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

I had this before - its horrible. And when I used to drink vodka and red bull, I'd feel my heart thumping all night and I'd also feel like I was going loopy. Vodka and tonic didn't have the same effect so I know to blame the red bull rather than the vodka!

On the topic of vodka and red bull, a friend of mine was advised not to drink it anymore by his doctor because he was starting to develop a heart murmor.
    I think the science behind it is that the vodka slows your heart down but hte red bull speeds it up.

I'll think I'll stick to good old teeth rotting coke from now on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Its the caffeine same thing happens to me if i drink even one can. I get twitchie and start acting like someone with ADD.

Cant imagine what would happen if i drank six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

similar thing happened to me a few months age, but there was a bit of vodka involved as well!! went to bed around 3, didnt sleep until 8am!!! could actualy feel my heart beating as well, felt really wierd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Isn't this like the equivalent of drinking 24 cups of coffee with about 10 spoons of sugar in each. If that didn't give you wings I dunno what would :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I drank 5 cans of Red Bull once and fell asleep on a couch 1 hour later. Seemed like a bit of a waste. Anything stronger out there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

krazy_8s wrote:
    I drank 5 cans of Red Bull once and fell asleep on a couch 1 hour later. Seemed like a bit of a waste. Anything stronger out there?

just inject caffeine straight in to your blood stream. Does the trick for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

just inject caffeine straight in to your blood stream. Does the trick for me.

I don't drink caffeine, since I'm just a little hyper anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Caliden wrote:
    On the topic of vodka and red bull, a friend of mine was advised not to drink it anymore by his doctor because he was starting to develop a heart murmor.
    I think the science behind it is that the vodka slows your heart down but hte red bull speeds it up.

I'll think I'll stick to good old teeth rotting coke from now on though.
    Just stay away from coca cola aswell tbh. Ginger Ale is the way of the future.

As an aside, is anyone else a bit suspicious of Deep Riverrock or am I just a bit paranoid?

similar thing happened to me a few months age, but there was a bit of vodka involved as well!! went to bed around 3, didnt sleep until 8am!!! could actualy feel my heart beating as well, felt really wierd

Surprisingly I went to sleep easily enough, I think it was looking after the lads that wore me out, they were like a big bunch of kids. Except they were drunken kids with kebabs and if I even hinted that I thought they were drunk I got an earful of slurred words and insults questioning my sexuality.

I had the last laugh this morning though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

and it also contains taurine which is still illegal in a few european countries

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Red Bull is one of the most disgusting tasting things out there, I don't know why anyone would drink it.

v:ov

5starpool wrote:
    Red Bull is one of the most disgusting tasting things out there, I don't know why anyone would drink it.

have you tried kick, it's the tesco version of it. It tastes like a tinker's armpit. Fúckin' mank stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine#Overuse
    Caffeine intoxication
    An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of 400 milligrams (more than 3–4 cups of brewed coffee), can result in a state of central nervous system overstimulation called caffeine intoxication. Some people seeking caffeine intoxication resort to insufflation (snorting) of caffeine powder, usually finely crushed caffeine tablets. This induces a faster and more intense reaction. The symptoms of caffeine intoxication may include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.

80mg of caffeine per Red Bull, so you had 480mg in total. Did you really think it would be a good idea?

I didn't know the outcome would be as severe as it was. Definitely one of those things you only do once. (no yorema jokes please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Some people seeking caffeine intoxication resort to insufflation (snorting) of caffeine powder

Nothing like doing a line of double-frappuccino to get the day going..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

I'd say the arse is cut out of yourself this morning. :D

I drink alot of jager and red bull and find I wake up early with my heart pumpin outta my chest after a nite on the stuff.
    You'll hit an almighty 3 o' clock slump mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Shadowless wrote:
    I drink alot of jager and red bull...

Do you mean you mix Jaegermeister and Red Bull? Jaysus - that'd taste like the sweat from a Sumo-wrestlers' jock-strap...

• Advertisement

It actually felt like I had a mild hangover this morning because I wasn't really hungry and the throat was bolloxed but I was just wrecked tired really.

Normally if I had vodka and red bull and I'm woken up by a loud car or someone in the house I can never go back to sleep even if I feel wrecked.
    Certainly one of the wierder nights I've been out on.

"Woah man, I just like, cant function unless I have 10 coffees a day"...Bollocks...it just makes you the jittery hyped up ****er that you are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you drug addicts disgust me

on a side note, red bull + jagermeister tastes like fizzy cola bottles.

Thing is I hate coffee and an apple has the same effect as 2 cups if I'm not mistaken and I like apples :D
    Mordeth wrote:

Agree with this and I also like to add that a blue Aftershox and red bull tastes like blue Mr. Freeze or some sort of blueberry bubblegum

this is actually true I think... eating an apple wakes me right the **** up, i read years ago about what it was.. but even if it's just a placebo It's nicer than caffeine.

mm... sugary fruit goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Mordeth wrote:

Red bull & Jager is called a Jagerbomber, and it tastes CLASS... Although I've heard the reason so many people like Red Bull is because it tastes like Calpol and a lot of people took this as kids whenever they were sick... So they've gotten them addicted young!

• Advertisement

granny smith > *

Caliden wrote:
    granny smith > *

uber pwnage

one of the pubs in carlow has the jager/red bull combo on it's drink list, all because I used to drink it the whole time and went around telling everyone in the place how lovely it was.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mordeth wrote:
    this is actually true I think... eating an apple wakes me right the **** up, i read years ago about what it was..
    mm... sugary fruit goodness.

True apparently, though I can't provide evidence, I heard it myself from a nutritionalist.
    but even if it's just a placebo It's nicer than caffeine.
    careful now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like Red Bull but 6 in a row is crazy. :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Sounds like a lot of Bull to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

I was on a stag weekend last year. Overdid it the first night with just beer so the next day started on redbull and vodka at about 5pm and drank it straight through til 7am.

I never drank it before then and knew there was ceffeine in it but didn't really think anything of it. :o

I was in bits for two days. Shaking like a leaf, vomiting CONSTANTLY, pins and needles all over my body (including my scalp :confused: ), couldnt sleep, really dark depression (much much much worse than the usual post-stag mash), was seriously worried about having a heart attack or stroke.

It was, easilly, the sickest I've ever been in my life and I'd not touch that shyte for love nor money ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Obviously it was the red bull that did that to you and not the 14hrs of drinking....

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Obviously it was the red bull that did that to you and not the 14hrs of drinking....

You'd be surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

Ciaran500 wrote:

I've had more than my fair share of weekend and weeklong sessions and I've never felt anything like I did after that redbull.

I was shaking like I'd Parkinsions, my eyeballs were fluttering and rolling, skin crawling and heart beating like drum, sweating like a pig, vomitting like fukc ....

I most certainly do not concurr with your synopsis of too much Guinness Dr. Ciaran.

Red Bull: Anxiety disorder in a can

Advertisement