Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT Broadband is down, anyone else?

• 25-06-2007 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

One of my company's offices broadband is down (Tralee). Rang BT and they said a digger had cut some cables in City West in Dublin and it'd be the end of the day before we heard more or anything at all.

The tech guy on the phone was very casual altogether and said "shur, if it's not back by tomorrow, we're all screwed anyway"... We have a 5 day SLA so there's no point in ringing us back...

Wtf like...

Anyone else having similar trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Business (leased) lines in some areas are having issues as well.
    exactiv wrote:
    The tech guy on the phone was very casual altogether and said "shur, if it's not back by tomorrow, we're all screwed anyway"

The guy we got said the first they knew about it was when they came into work this morning (nice monitoring skillz :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Rang up on behalf of one of our customers, and got the same reply. On the phone to them now to be what the expected fix time will be. was told it was nationwide this morning, so a bit surprised there hasn't been too much on this.

Edit: just been told it has now looking like been fixed by tomorrow morning, as the problem is a lot more severe than they first thought.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

exactiv wrote:
    The tech guy on the phone was very casual altogether

I got the same from a BT customer I was taking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Hi,

It all went titsup at 7.30am according to our monitoring systems. We have a 2 meg SDSL line from BT. Anyone got any updates? On the phone to support but i'm on hold, and have been for 10mins now :(

Murf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

This should be back at 7pm ish tonight, Unfortunatly some idiot in a JCB decided to dig up the fibre at BT's interconnect by mistake and took down the (EDIT) MOST OF ESAT network, and I aint talking bout just the broadband, phones were also lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Roddy23 wrote:
    was told it was nationwide this morning, so a bit surprised there hasn't been too much on this.

I'm with BT in Swords, have had broadband since at least 11am. Was in bed before, so don't know if was gone earlier...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Ya was onto them first thing this morning. Apparently anyone with static ips in the 193.x.x.x range is expected to be down till 6 this evening.

EDIT

just rang and wont be up till 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Was on to BT tech support this morning, the fibre break was repaired in the wee hours. Anyone with issues should restart the MTU/Router/modem as appropriate.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Unfortunatly some idiot in a JCB decided to dig up the fibre at BT's interconnect by mistake and took down the (EDIT) MOST OF ESAT network, and I aint talking bout just the broadband, phones were also lost.

This happened to what was then called ESATX (now BT) in citywest in 2000 or 2001 as well , a JCB jockey chopped them off .

Have they no redundancy ?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

exactiv wrote:
    One of my company's offices broadband is down (Tralee). Rang BT and they said a digger had cut some cables in City West in Dublin and it'd be the end of the day before we heard more or anything at all.

The tech guy on the phone was very casual altogether and said "shur, if it's not back by tomorrow, we're all screwed anyway"... We have a 5 day SLA so there's no point in ringing us back...

Wtf like...

Anyone else having similar trouble?

I'm sure with construction and digging up and using JCB's it probably happens more so then you think. I think the next time someone calls and is told the whole southside is without broadband then its usually a fibre break caused by some fool digging where there not supose to or with out any due care or checking the plans for local area maybe.

I'm sure if the BT network was down as it was as serious as some saym then i would imagine there departments where all effected, dont they have a building in citywest?

Basically stop moaning, sh*t happens and nothing can be done about it, i doubt they decided to wake up monday and break a fibre cable.

I can understand some people having a moan about there ISP providers, but most people here rant over any little excuse they are given from what i read on Broadband/Wireless issue.

I read another Thread here, that said that Ireland where 10years behind with broadband, so get use to the crap service you and i receive cause its going to be a while yet before we catch up.

• Advertisement

Basically stop moaning, sh*t happens and nothing can be done about it, i doubt they decided to wake up monday and break a fibre cable.

**** happens and noting can be done about it, that really is the slogan of modern Ireland, isn’t it?

Whatever about your self, I’m afraid that isn’t an acceptable altitude for construction or utilities firms to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

monument wrote:
    Whatever about your self, I’m afraid that isn’t an acceptable altitude for construction or utilities firms to have.

OK, i can understand company's may need broaband and rely on it a lot, but surley big companys have a back up plan incase of this happening, they would lose a lot money otherwise that would surley not be compenstated back.

I'm sure fibre breaks happen all the time, mainly been caused by construction companies digging all over, yes they should be more careful, but they way some people here moan you would think it was the end of the world something.

Yes on both counts, but it's more then big companies who rely on BT or other isps, the internet is now needed by a huge range of firms in a wide range with a business types.

Downtime even for one man companies or freelance workers of many types could cost stress, time, money, a dent in their reputation etc. But you're right on backups, even one man operations should have a back ups.

Advertisement