Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run '07.

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Hope this is in the right forum.
    Basically looking for some training advice for this years warriors run, I am looking to improve my time form last year - 1Hour 23Mins.
    For those not in the know, its a 10 mile race, which takes you to the top of Knocknarea Mountain (1,070 foot.)
    http://www.warriorsfestival.com/about-warriors-run.html

Basically I have been training (along with gym work) for 2 weeks now, here's how the routine looks.
    Monday: 20mis cross trainer, very high intensity. Gym work (legs & shoulders so I stick to a short cardio session, also usually still burned out from sat...)
    Tueesday: 30 mins on treadmill. Gym work, approx 1 hour.
    So I am trying to keep this as short and fast as possible keeping the treadmill on a random setting with the incline getting pretty steep inplaces. Yesterday I did 6 KM in just over 30mins (not sure if this is good/bad/normal).
    Wednesday: Rest day.
    Thursday: 30 mins on treadmill. Gym work approx 1 hour.
    Friday: Rest day.
    Saturday: Long run, usually 1 Hour 10 mins, with a lot of hills, its as close as I can get to the actual thing but its got a lot less of an incline.

One of the problems I'm also having is, usually when I climb a steep hill and I'm coming down I start getting stitches in my cheast / stomach. So if any one had any cures for this.

so basically can some one here rate my performace / give suggestions.

I am also coaching a girl to do this she prefers to keep to longer runs herself so if any one could recommend anything for her it would be great.

H2DC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

My recommendation would be to actually run as much as possible. You'll need to be able to run up and downhill so try do that if you can.

Doing 30mins runinng and an hour gym work seems a bit off for a race that's going to take you over an hour. You need very little upper body strength for a that length of running. It's endurance moreso than strength you'd need in the legs and running would be the best way to build that up. I'd reckon you'd be better off increasing running time and doing less strength work.

I don't know about the stitches, has it been happening long? If it's a recent development it'll probably go away as you get used to the training.

As a modification on what you're currently doing, I'd recommend this:

Mon: 30mins running at a comfortable pace, sit-ups, press-ups (not many)
    Tue: 35 mins runinng - 10 easy, 15 tempo (hard but controlled, breathing shouldn't be shallow), 10 easy
    Thurs: 30-40mins running at a comfortable pace, sit-ups, press-ups (not many)
    Sat: Long run 70 mins. This shouldn't have you wrecked on Monday.
    Sun: If you're feeling sore from Saturday, go for an easy jog,swim,crosstraining for about 15 mins if you get a chance. This increases blood flow to the muscles so speeds up recovery.

To train for a race you need to run. Gym work would top it off but it would be a better use of your time to run more and spend less time in the gym. If you are injury prone or just coming back from an injury then you might need it but in general gym work is not hugely importnat for races that last over an hour.

As you get used to the training, increase the time spent running in small amounts for the first few weeks. For the last week or two, reduce the time spent running and keep the pace the same to bring you into the race fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Sorry its worth mentioning that I'm going on holiday next weekend :D hence all the gym work, I will be winding this down and increasing the running from then on... I've basically been concentrating on increasing the pace / incline work.
    I will be running up hill, some of it off road, so I've been trying to get as many hills as possible / making treadmill sessions as tough as I can take.
    As you get used to the training, increase the time spent running in small amounts for the first few weeks. For the last week or two, reduce the time spent running and keep the pace the same to bring you into the race fresh.
    This is pretty much as I had planned. Its unfortunate I'm going on holiday so soon as I plan on missing on a full week of training.

A lot of the reason I've been wrecked on the monday is I have had an old knee injury acting up and just finished my physio, then straight into training for this so it hasn't had too much time to heal.
    As for the stitches it usually happens when I reach the top of a hill (about 20mins in) then start back down and onto a flat. Maybe its just a conditioning thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

jesus i mite do that meself....on a scale of 1 to murder ,how tough is it do you reckon?? would you need to do it wearing some class of hiking shoe/boot or would regular runners do the job? just wondering what you would advise from your experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alano

On a scale of 1 to murder it fits in at about "tough". This year the race is reverting back to anti-clockwise direction, so you are running up the mountain from the other side. Some speculate that this direction (which has been used in years gone by) is actually tougher.

I cannot recommend this race highly enough, well organized and great fun.

The Warriors Run is part of is a part of the Warriors Festival which goes on over the weekend. There is a Queen Maeve crowned every year (sponsoring pubs all out 1 girl forward). The winner of the race gets to spend the night with the newly crowned Queen Maeve, or at least that is the motivation I use while I am huffing and puffing my way round the course ;-)

As to whether you need trail runners or regular runners, regular runners will usually do the trick. The mountain would have to be very wet before requiring trail runners. You are only off road for only about 2-3 miles of this event (getting up to the summit), and there are only a few slippery sections.

Man... There goes my whole training routine, wasn't expecting them to change the direction. Although I actually found I was running uphill for most of the way when I did it last year so maybe I'll actually be running downhill for the majority of the time this year :D

Gucci, nows the time to get cracking with the training. I only started training around this time last year so its not too late.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you should try some of the imra runs for training between now and the race. in my experience training is all very well but it is really practise races that get you in shape for your goal race. Especially hill runs like this one.

If you are in Dublin you can try some of the imra routes in the evenings and weekends in the mtns to get very similar routes experience..

shieser, i just checked my diary and my cousin is getting married on the saturday (i was nearly beat by my girlfriend for forgetting!) so i will be in no fit state to do the run that morning, il keep it on the back burner for next year!!im presently in reasonable shape anyways, doin a few 5mile and 10k races(not competing for a front position by the way!!), would have been a nice tester and a good excuse to spend a weekend in sligo!

I had a class weekend all planned, go out for dinner Damien rice concert early enough, spend the night out in Dublin.
    Found out a week ago the Warriors Run is on the day after the concert... So looks like I'll be having an early night after the concert :D

well good luck with it anyways, you'll want to be saving your energy for a long night with queen maebh anyways ;);)

Haha hopefully she wont break my heart :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Man that looks like a class race... Problem is I've been doing speedwork all summer and wont be starting my longer runs for a few weeks yet... Still I suppose I could run it just to complete it and not worry about the time....

I would imagine the craic afterwards would be mighty !!!!!!!

Red

Its well worth doing, the most I'd ever run before I did the race was about 7 mile, it was tough enough but sure theres still plenty of hill running.

I did have a few beers afterwards that night :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Im a local to the area of the race and have done it a few times.
    Less than 2 miles of the race is actually flat. 5 is on undulating ground of varying severity and 2.2 is on the mountain.

Heres what id recommend for specific training for this race.
    Weekly Tempo runs building up to 35 mins of hard errort so your used to the constant effort a race requires. Try and get a tempo in on undulating ground to get the technique of carrying the effort through the hill so that you speed up on the downhill.

Long reps: e.g 5-6 by 1 mile at 10k pace, (or 4 by 5 mins whatever you can manage is good). This will also give you strenght to keep the pace for the final 4 miles after the hill. The hill is tough, it is the last 4 miles thats the killer.

For the hill itself:
    Apart from elite mountain runners most people will walk some of the main climb.
    Half way up the climb the gradient steepens. If you walk from here it is only about 7-8 mins to the top. It is worth practising steep uphill walking odd as it sounds. This can be done by practising during a hillwalk and/or by doing some long runs on hilly trail/mountainous ground, walking the steep parts with hands on knees using shoulders to help legs. For descending try to relax without slowing down. If you can do this you will get recovery on the descent and gain a valuable advantage over those around you heading into the final road section.
    For the runnable parts of the long runs try and keep running to the top even if it means going very slow. This will give climbing endurance to your legs. You can attack the shorter ones with more pace.

Do easy runs between these sessions with aforementioned core work.

For the race itself.
    Id recomend running steady enough till you reach the big road climb after 2 miles. There is plenty of time to make ground from this point.
    During the mountain climb once the pace is reduced to walking there is a tendency for the general effort to ease off a bit. Try and keep working to the top: The recovering should be done on the way down.
    A tip to help here: It is quicker to climb on rock than grass so pick your line up the steep slope by standing on stone and rocks. This should keep you focused and keep you positive and working.
    For the descent its brain off, brakes off. For the steep part the technique is like running fast down a long flight of stairs. Fast controlled steps and trust your feet. For the shallower lower section, dont force it, stay relaxed and recover but without slowing.

As a crash course do the Imra Trail race this wednesday and next wednesday if you can, (details on their their site). The mountain section of the race causes tiredness not found in other types of running. If you have a little practice either by hill racing or a couple of long runs on the hills the mountain wont take as much out of you before the extremely hard finishing 4 miles.

The above training would be the ideal in my opinion but take whatever suits out of it at this late hour and dont underestimate the hillwalking!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

great first post T runner. as you say, experience of hill runs is where you learn how you cope with the mtn part. the imra runs are a great way of getting this experience.

Haven't gotten around to doing any of the IMRA runs as I was away on holidays, the bad news is I havent trained in 1 & 1/2 weeks. But the good news is I started on fast 30 min session last night and that went fine. So I've gotta get my ass in gear now!

Also T Runner some great advice there, I'm going to try get out for a short dry run this weekend but looks bad so I may just have to do a good hill session...

has anyone else heard anything Alano mentioned about the race going counter-clockwise this year?

Mountain section is same. Road section is other direction. Same metres climbed and descended.
    Race a bit tougher because road hills slightly steeper this way and mainly because tough 4 mile road section to finish as opposed to easy 3.5 mile section.
    One hill session with practice of steep walking should be enough at this stage. Get the runs in for the road if possible.

Haven't gotten around to doing any of the IMRA runs as I was away on holidays, the bad news is I havent trained in 1 & 1/2 weeks. But the good news is I started on fast 30 min session last night and that went fine. So I've gotta get my ass in gear now!

Also T Runner some great advice there, I'm going to try get out for a short dry run this weekend but looks bad so I may just have to do a good hill session...

has anyone else heard anything Alano mentioned about the race going counter-clockwise this year?

Was out last Sat - mainly to familiarise myself with the course, did alright though... Everyone else was running the opposite direction :D

Gonna head out again this Sat for another go, plan on doing at least 7 miles of the course. Was going to do the entire course but think its a bit too much for the week before the race, also over did it this week in the gym and can bearly walk today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭donaghs

Hey, their website is crap. Any definitive info on when it starts, and the registration time? I'm hoping to get an early train from Connolly to Sligo. Thanks!:) In time to register and so on...

As per e-mail I recieved form their website:
    Greetings from The Warriors Festival Committee

As a past entrant in The Warriors Run, we would like to let you know about
    this years race which takes place on Sunday 26th August at 3pm.

This year we have made a number of improvements to the Warriors Run.

Firstly you can register online at our website www.warriorsfestival.com or
    download an application form and post it on to us.

Secondly, this year we are introducing Chip Timing for instant and
    accurate results for all finishers. Gone are the tear off tags and
    luminously clothed marshalls bugging you for your number as you try to
    catch your breath. We hope you can take part again or if not come along
    and cheer the other runners on.
    Cant find when the registration closes though...

I'll PM you the organisers e-mail address I have mailed him a few times and he's very helpful.

Hi, on their site

Click "About the Warriors Run" and then "Registration details"

Closes 2.30 on the sunday half hour before start at 3pm.

• Advertisement

Just got this mail:

Dear Runners,

The online registration for this year's Warriors Run
    (www.warriorsfestival.com) will close at midday Friday 24th.

If you haven't already registered and still wish to do so then please
    register online. Otherwise we will be taking registrations in Strandhill
    between 14:00-16:00 on Saturday 25th and 12:00-14:30 on Sunday 26th.

Good running and enjoy your day.

The Warriors Festival Committee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

How did you get on in this race? Just read the above posts atoday and it sounds like good craic. I know a few lads who did it in the past and they loved it. Hope it went well anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭donaghs

An amazing race! Tough going on the way up the hill, incredible views. Great fun basically. Got in 1hr 29mins.

Finished in 1hour 17 mins and 59 seconds... But If anyone asks 1hour 17mins :D
    Was a great race, really tough, the sun was out for the first time this summer - typical, bit disappointed as I lost a bit of time on the mountain, got a really bad stitch coming down and couldn't recover from it.
    I'm fine today though 2 of my toe nails have gone black, which just goes to show, never wear a new pair of socks when doing the warriors run :D

Edit: the results are up on the website: http://www.warriorsfestival.com/2007-results.html

well done...did ya make it to the damien rice concert as well??maybe the black toes are from being walked on at that :p

Had a good run and really enjoyed it. I found it muggy which made it important to pace. Was a couple of minutes off the hour which was my goal but had a PB for the race so very happy. Found the downhill tough and was definately too hesitant, have the sore quads to show for it. Had a great night at the President's Ball afterwards where the real downhilling was happening!:o

Made it to the Damien Rice concert alright he was great, he actually rocked out which surprised me, though I only got back to Sligo at 3am that night so not the best race preporation....
    How did you get on T-runner?

Hill training for this years Warriors run taking place from Knocknarae Carpark at 10am this Saturday. All abilities welcome-bring a snack and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Will this be a regular training session I am usually in Sligo every 2 weeks and would be interested in trying out this event.

• Advertisement

Stomochtas,

Im in Sligo only once a month but will post any time im heading down. There are hill races/training in Dublin also. Look at the events page on www.imra.ie for races and the forum on same site for people training.

Advertisement