Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Heathrow discussion [merged]

Options
  • 05-08-2007 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

From RTE News
    Aer Lingus is set to cease direct flights between Shannon and Heathrow and transfer the link to Aldergrove airport in Northern Ireland.

The official announcement will be made by the Aer Lingus chief executive Vermot Mannion after he meets Aer Lingus personnel in Shannon on Tuesday morning and then attends a news conference at Stormont on Tuesday afternoon.

Cute move by Mr. Mannion, slip it out on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend, this is bad news for the region, how long before the transatlantic routes follow?.

jbkenn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Wow that is bad news.... That flight is usually fairly full too. Doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No need to worry.
    As long as you have the Ft. Bragg - Shannon - Baghdad flights you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭lasno

Always some smart ass around

lasno wrote:
    Always some smart ass around
    I do hope you're not referring to me, Direct personal abuse will result in me reporting your post and you possibly being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Belfast again... (sounds racist but this is not the first time i've heard of them taking our jobs and im sick of it at this stage)

I am also clueless as that flight is always full, I guess we wait till tuesday for the full statement

Oh and Hagar don't go throwing your mod powers around here, you meant to cause hassle by your comment and don't deny it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This will have a real impact to me and the company I work for, anytime I on the Shannon to Heathrow flight it is always full or almost full, it really is a strange one.

Personally, it will add alot of hassel getting to London now as our UK office is located near Reading, very handy to get on the M4/M25 from Heathrow. Flying into Gatwick now means I will have to commute half way across London. Shame on you Aer Lingus!

The real winners here I think will be Ryan Air, flights to Stanstead, Gatwick and Luton will now jump up in price.

I wonder will some other carrier pick up the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Hagar wrote:
    I do hope you're not referring to me, Direct personal abuse will result in me reporting your post and you possibly being banned.

We are talking about matters that may have serious economic implications for the Midwest region.

I will take the ban... Mod or not... piss off you twat

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

So what does this have to do with Limerick City? Are Limerick claiming Shannon Airport as their own, yet again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

testicle wrote:
    So what does this have to do with Limerick City? Are Limerick claiming Shannon Airport as their own, yet again?

that is the most stupid comment I have read on here in ages. Bigger Picture involved. People from all over the mid west should be emailing their opinions to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie
    This will not go down well. make your voice heard!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

TmB wrote:
    Wow that is bad news.... That flight is usually fairly full too. Doesn't make sense.
    The Northern economy is growing...must think there is more potential up there.

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote:
    We are talking about matters that may have serious economic implications for the Midwest region.

I will take the ban... Mod or not... piss off you twat

jbkenn

I've reported you post as personal abuse.

If you are truly concerned about the economic implications that publicity can have on the Mid-West regions report a local drug dealer.

Hagar wrote:
    I've reported you post as personal abuse.

I am quivering in my boots Hagar, if you have nothing of consequence to add to the discussion, take yourself and your infantile humour off somewhere you might be appreciated
    If you are truly concerned about the economic implications that publicity can have on the Mid-West regions report a local drug dealer.

Sorry, don't know any, I do however know many business's and business people in the region this decision will have a severe impact on.

jbkenn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jbkenn wrote:

Sorry, don't know any, I do however know many business's and business people in the region this decision will have a severe impact on.

jbkenn
    No doubt - this is serious news for big business in the Limerick region. London is one of the biggest business hubs in the world...if company executives in Limerick cannot get to and from London...well I am sure some may re-think their involvement in the Limerick/Shannon region.

I would be weary of Dell for example...

I don't expect you to quiver in your boots, I just expect the modicum of respect that would be afforded other posters.

Drop the slagging match or you'll both be banned (Hagar for his childish comment and jbkenn for abuse).

No doubt - this is serious news for big business in the Limerick region. London is one of the biggest business hubs in the world...if company executives in Limerick cannot get to and from London...well I am sure some may re-think their involvement in the Limerick/Shannon region.

I would be weary of Dell for example...

I am not worried about Mickey Dell, when Mickey decides to go, he will go, I am more concerned about local business and new startups in the region, have a look at the Shannon Airport website and see where you can go from Shannon, not great, at least with onward connections from Heathrow you can travel the world.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hagar for god sakes would you just leave this topic, you are totally deriving from the point and you started it all with your comment
    'As long as you have the Ft. Bragg - Shannon - Baghdad flights you'll be fine.'
    you meant to cause a stir by that message

Now back to the topic at hand people

As mentioned before this will be a more than good enough reason for ryanair to increase prices

jbkenn wrote:
    I am not worried about Mickey Dell, when Mickey decides to go, he will go, I am more concerned about local business and new startups in the region, have a look at the Shannon Airport website and see where you can go from Shannon, not great, at least with onward connections from Heathrow you can travel the world.

jbkenn
    Im thinking of everyone too, don't get me wrong at all.;)

But everyone should be worried about big companies like Dell (It was an example) - if they go the local economy has the potential to be ruined...everyone will feel the backlash. Of course the same can be said for other companies. Its just if Dell and other big business leave...it will not look very good for those thinking of starting up in Limerick/Shannon.

And I know where you can and where you cannot go from Shannon.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

shannon has decided to get in the ryanair bed and has failed to attract other carriers or maybe hasnt tried.....

both virgin and gb both gave up on shannon.

sad to say that there are nearly as many military routes as pax routes ex shannon which maybe shows where aer riata muppets expend their shmoozing skills.

Excuse me, here is the sum total of my posts in this thread:

No need to worry.
    As long as you have the Ft. Bragg - Shannon - Baghdad flights you'll be fine.
    I do hope you're not referring to me, Direct personal abuse will result in me reporting your post and you possibly being banned
    I've reported your post as personal abuse.

I don't expect you to quiver in your boots, I just expect the modicum of respect that would be afforded other posters

If you intend to ban me for that, I must inform you that I will take the matter to feedback.

• Advertisement

vkid wrote:
    that is the most stupid comment I have read on here in ages. Bigger Picture involved. People from all over the mid west should be emailing their opinions to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie
    This will not go down well. make your voice heard!
    Bertie is down in Kerry enjoying the err...rain?;)

Anyway - On Tuesday I am sure we will hear a lot of complaints on this issue.

KEEP ..... IT ..... ON ..... TOPIC.
    Last warning.

Hagar - you're original post started the whole issue, so put your halo away.

1huge1 wrote:
    Hagar for god sakes would you just leave this topic, you are totally deriving from the point and you started it all with your comment
    'As long as you have the Ft. Bragg - Shannon - Baghdad flights you'll be fine.'
    you meant to cause a stir by that message
    I'm prepared to leave as long as I'm not relevent.
    Is there any truth in what I said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Wow, Hagar, you'd think a mod of the humour forum would actually have sense of humour.

This is very bad news for the entire region, and Connacht too. This is a massive blow to the Western Corridor. I'm extremely disappointed by this but ultimately not surprised.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I do not understand it at all.

The route is busy as is.

I do indeed have a sense of humour.

But if you look closely I'm also Mod of Military and therefore cannot claim to be totally ignorant of the Military implications of the US in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I´ve flown in and out of Shannon several times recently and couldn't help noticing that about 80% of the flights on the boards were Ryanair. It´s great that they are providing the services but it´s not good for the airport to have all it´s eggs in Michael O´Leary´s basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This is terrble news...really terrible news.
    My uncle takes that flight about 2 times a month and alot of his colleagues do too...some take it 3 times a week.

Why do they have to take away Shannon's flight to one to Belfast? :confused:

This is what is going to happen in future if Ireland becomes "united"...and it doesn't stop at Transport. Things are looking good in NI and business is booming. ROI have to be seen to be helping NI boom thus Aer Lingus moves into Belast. If Ireland is a "whole" again. The Irish Government will have to fund NI with alot of things including Social Welfare/Unemployment Benefit of which NI has a high demand. The Irish Government will have to focus on the 6 counties and not the other 26 for social issues, transport, health and basically the same things they had to focus on for ROI...doing this will kill our economy and create more things like the removal of the Shannon-Heathrow Route to give it to Belfast but in every sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

The Irish Government will have to focus on the 6 counties and not the other 26 for social issues, transport, health and basically the same things they had to focus on for ROI...doing this will kill our economy and create more things like the removal of the Shannon-Heathrow Route to give it to Belfast but in every sector.
    So have you always been a Unionist, or just since it was suggested that your uncle might have to travel with Ryanair?

Seriously, I'm not sure that you're taking into account just how much business Ireland lost as a result of Shannon's piracy on transatlantic routes. The Mid-West was given a massive advantage at great expense to the rest of the country - and at a time when, frankly, we needed the money. If the region failed to turn that into something sustainable, then our piles are bleeding for you, but tough. It cost the country enough and if you want to put a human face to what it cost try listening to Fairytale of New York. I think its time to give someone else a chance.

The move to Belfast is actually quite interesting, and offers the potential to shift some mindsets in addition to contributing to rebuilding what was our industrial heartland. I really hope that protests from Shannon supporters get the shrug-off they deserve, despite the signs in early media coverage of a desire to spin this as Shannon's loss rather than an all-Ireland gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Schuhart wrote:
    I'm not sure that you're taking into account just how much business Ireland lost as a result of Shannon's piracy on transatlantic routes.

I searched through your post for a link or evidence to this - but found nothing substantial..

Care to expand your declaration of Shannon's piracy?

Advertisement