Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Sociology

Options
  • 20-08-2007 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

hey,just offered a place in UL. Does anyone know anyone whos done this course and can tell me anything???? Not sure if i want to take the offer but since its my only half decent one i have to.

Any info/advice is welcome!!!

Cheers
    xxxxxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Hey,

A good friend of mine is just after doing Co-Op in this course, and is currently on Erasmus in Finland.
    From what I gather regarding the course, there isnt a load of hours of college each week, something in the region of 12-16 hours max I think.
    The Economics side of it is tough enough apparently, and I say that because I dont like Economics because of my Business course, and I have seen some of the Economics on your course.
    As for the Sociology, I have had the misfortune of taking some of the same modules that are offered on your course [damn Elective in old business course!!!], but if you like this type of social sh!te, it is easy enough to get through.

I would recommend coming to UL, but if you dont like the sound of the course dont take it, I havent been the greatest of help I know, but hopefully it may persuade you to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Most of what I know has been said above. I'm doing the new Business course which shares 3 modules with the economics and sociology course (Microeconomics in the 1st semester, and Macroeconomics and Business Mathematics in the second one). The two economics modules are doable if you've done economics before. You will have seen the majority of what is covered in the 2 modules before if you've done it for the LC. They just go into slightly more detail and there are a small few new concepts introduced. These two modules are 'Principles of Micro/Macro economics', so their main aim is to get all the people who haven't done eco before up to the standard required to study it in more detail.

The maths module was OK aswell. It starts of REALLY easy for the first couple of weeks (like basic algebra and stuff) but gets harder as the module goes on. But there's tutorials and a maths learning centre and stuff so I wouldn't worry about it. I got an A1 in pass maths for the LC and I got a B2 in this maths module so it isn't too bad.

As was said before, the hours are great for yere course; I think it's only something like 14 or something for the first semester.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You might as well accept this offer if you have decided you are definatly not repeating because accepting it does not rule you out from getting one of your higher preference places in the second round if you dont accept then you may end up with nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

thanks for the replies.

im gonna go for it and see anyways. i like the whole sociology side and dont ind maths either as i got a b3 in the leaving.

only done abit of economics through business for the leaving....

cant wait to go :D:D

thanks for all the help
    xxxxx

Advertisement