Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R4DS starter pack

Options
  • 03-09-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭

This to help people get the most out of there R4(some of the stuff should work on other cards but i cant verify that) I was amazed by the amount of talk of R4 cards on boards but no real advice on how to use it best! So after many hours trawling the net, i've compiled a starter pack for the R4

EDIT:I've included more info on emulators

It includes:
    1.The latest firmware 1.11 (has a better compatibility, download play now works in most games) and moonshell 1.71

2.A DLDI patching tool (DLDI-tool) including the R4 DLDI device patch (This is something you need to apply to a lot of homebrew applications to get them to work on your R4)

3.A NDS emulator for the PC, to try out homebrew apps before putting them on your R4 card

4.A video converter (Batch DPG v1.2) for watching video on moonshell.

5.A few emulators: Megadrive/genisis (JenisisDS 0.5)- works pretty good , never has sound.
    SNES (SNEmulDS 0.5) - Works good, sound is a small bit glitchy
    NES (NesDS) - Works very well

I've also included my own instructions for everything, I'm far from an expert but they might help!?

I only have a rapidshare link at the moment(sorry!) if anyone wants to host it somewhere else feel free. All the software is freely available (Ask if you want to know where i got anything or if you just don't like rapidshare!.....i'll post up the links for the software) its just so much handier if there all together!

I've tested and verified it all on a DS using a R4(bar the video converter)

You can get it here (its about 15mb and its a .zip file)
    R4DS starter pack by witnessmenow

So let me know what you think, or if you've problems or suggestions or anything of that nature! Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Good work that man!
    Maybe this could/should be stickied!?

Must definately come back to this when I actually get round to getting myself one of these cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Excellent thanks for putting this package together, I'm particulary interested in the PC emu, handy for trying apps :)

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,580 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great idea.

You may want to include this program. It's for getting the 3 in 1 ezflash to work. It's not included with the card and is very hard to find.

(this is the card I am on about. Lets you play GBA 'homebrew' (games are stored on the r4 and written to the other card when you want to play them)works as a memory expansion for the browser and also works as a rumble pak for games which have that feature)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967

Here's the file. Just drop in onto your r4

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zdbao4ukgd

Once your r4 starts up, you can run the 3 in 1 program which will allow you to boot up the other card.

As for emulation, a new version of Jenesis has come out. Is that the one you included? I was using picodrive before I discovered that. Games are running at a great framerate.

Lameboy is also worth checking out. Most games are also running perfect on it. You can fit a LOT of them on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hey guys thanks for the replies! No problem! I've seen one person has downloaded it... how did you get on with it?!

@O1s1n: Ok cool i'll include the next version. Was thinking of getting a 3 in 1 myself!

The emulator are as follows:

Sega megadrive/genisis: JenisisDS 0.5 (its the newest version at the mo)

Snes: SNEmulDS 0.5

NES:Option 1: NesDS (doesn't have a version number, its the one where it runs an emulator on the ds) I recommend this one.

Option 2: NesDS(its an older version which converts NES games to .nds files on your pc, so theres no need for an emulator on the DS)

Wasn't even aware ther was a decent gameboy emulator! I'll include this in the next release aswell. I'll release a new version of this pack prob at the end of the month(when I'm settled in back in college!).

I'll also be starting a thread for best homebrew applications and games , where people can rate and review homebrew application that the find maybe share any info on what they had to do to get it to work, so keep an eye out for that!

Master of the Universe

Excellent :)

Lameboy can play GB and GB colour stuff. Perfectly. With sound. Which as I was saying, are tiny. In the tens of KB. So you can fit a pretty vast library of stuff on.

Actually a readme file with how to get skins working too might be a good idea. I've had a lot of people asking me how to do that.

Nice work anyway. I wish there had of been something around like this when I got my own r4. Would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Great forum for homebrew.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/

Loads of DS homebrew information

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

• Advertisement

ooo were up at 3 downloads!! Yeah great idea o1s1n will definatly include the skin tutorial in the next one. I've only had the R4 for a week so i havent got bored of the other one yet! I second dcemu its where i got most of the stuff from. Some of the stuff is a bit crap at explaining how to get it to work though!

Yeah same with nintendo games the are about 256k so you can fit alot on! Still think i'll be needing a bigger sd card!

Was also thinking for the next one that i'll bring out an "On the go" version (as well as one in this kind of a format) where you literary just extract the pack and put it on your R4 , where everything is organized, DLDI patched and ready to go (completely idiot proof!) any comments (good or bad) or suggestions on this would be appreciated too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do the emulators work?

Great pack.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Hey thanks for this witnessmenow, i really appreciate it.

I'm playing the first ever Metroid, works perfect! Ah the memories.

megadrive emu works no sound but playing Sonic you can sing along :D

Sensible wont work seems only certain games work.

kdjac

Master of the Universe

KdjaCL wrote:

megadrive emu works no sound but playing Sonic you can sing along :D

kdjac

Have you used any of the snes emulators? The inclusion of the sound makes them very glitchy. Leaving the sound out of the megadrive ones got them running really well. Framrate wasn't the best with pico though. I can't believe how good Jenesis is.

Hopefully they'll sort out the sound with later releases. Still though, I'm happy. Means I can finally put my Nomad away :D

• Advertisement

Seems fine with Snes one on DS lite playing ISS Deluxe and it sounds fine, no notable glitches.

The R4 is now the greatest thing ever.

kdjac

Now@10 downloads!

Sorry should have stated this.

Genisis/megadrive emulator - tested with streets of rage 2
    Video ran perfectly. This emulator never has sound.

Snes emulator - tested with f-zero, ninja gaiden trilogy(is really a nes game)
    F-zero:Video ran perfectly. Small skip in sound every 10-15 seconds, definatly managable.
    Ninja Gaiden:Perfect nothing to report

NES emulator - tested with Super mario 2, Mike Tyson punch out and megaman
    Super mario 2 and megaman:Perfect nothing to report
    Mike Tyson: Gameplay was fine but the text was all messed up.

The emulators are in early stages but there definatly promising!

@lee_baby_simms: no problem! I didn't write any of the programs so its the developers you should be thanking! I tried to include the original website in all the readme's.

Any one have feed back on the readmes how they could be improved?

Anyone get the video convertor to work?

Any one have feed back on the readmes how they could be improved?

Unzip the roms before putting them into the SNES folder :o

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Unzip the roms before putting them into the SNES folder :o

kdjac

Cheers exactly the type of feedback i need, im sure theres loads of mistakes like that in them!

The readme has been edited for the next version

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Would anyone recommend the R4 that play.com are selling its called Game n Music? Appreciate any comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

don't bother I've read elsewhere it doesn't work very well I think its in the current argos book as well, I recommend you get the real R4 to many issues with those Games n Music things

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

so basically the nds is simply the coolest thing EVER!! :D:D:D
    woo!
    all you people are amazing! cant wait to get my r4(its on its way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I was thinking of doing this exact same thing!

Would you mind if I posted it over at Wiffy.ie?

I'll give you all credits of course!

Sure , no problem. Was just looking around wiffy.ie yesterday actually and seen you were talking about doing it!

Where is the best place to get a R4 thing thats easy enough to use? Dont want to spend a lot on it in case I cant get it to work. Cheers lads
    Getting bored of my DS and need to inject some life into it

• Advertisement

DonFred wrote:
    Where is the best place to get a R4 thing thats easy enough to use? Dont want to spend a lot on it in case I cant get it to work. Cheers lads
    Getting bored of my DS and need to inject some life into it
    Was helping someone to order this today - here is a summary of the cheapest deals found for the R4 card and a 2GB MicroSD card (All in stock right now):

2GB MicroSD

www.shop4memory.com €33

www.7dayshop.com €25.60

www.mx2.co.uk €19.59

R4 Card

dealextreme €30.72
    ($41.95) (P&P free) (Price has gone up since we first heard about this site - but still good!)

ConsoleUp €33.83

gameyeeeah €32.55
    ($35.95) (+ P&P $5.50)

Went for dealextreme & mx2, total = €50.31

Hope that helps! Git 'em while they're hot! ;)

You will get it to work , were here to help! Am going to put a On-The-Go version of this pack where you do nothing but drag the contents of a whole folder onto your micro sd (everything will be patched and ready to go!). Will probably upload that and a new version of the orginal type pack (1.1 oooooo!!!!) next week. Changes for the new one will include:
    1.Original Gameboy Emulator - Lameboy
    2.Tutorial on how to skin the interface
    3.General improvements to the readmes and such (noticed a few are fairly skimpy on the info, guess i kinda rushed them!)
    4.Who knows, maybe more!! If i find more things i think are useful(Keep posting more suggestions!)

Will try post links to the extra material and such so people who downloaded the first pack dont have to download the next one.

People here obviously cant help you with one major aspect of an r4 (its against the rules & the law for that matter!) but there's plenty of place on the net that can! It's almost too easy!:rolleyes:

So basicially I have to buy first a R4 card then a memory card separtely MicroSD??

Master of the Universe

DonFred wrote:
    So basicially I have to buy first a R4 card then a memory card separtely MicroSD??

Most of the R4 deals on sites have a microSD included with them.

Ok lads is this ok an R4 with a 1gb Kington TF for 56.90euros from dealextreme??
    Just about to buy it......

DonFred wrote:
    Ok lads is this ok an R4 with a 1gb Kington TF for 56.90euros from dealextreme??
    Just about to buy it......

jebus it was 34 there with the card, i have 4 of them in our DSes that exact pack, as simple as drag and drop to setup and thats it.

kdjac

Sorry that was in dollars, it actually cost me 42euros so please with that. wAs people complaining about why price went up but DS are selling like hot cakes now. Cant wait to get it now but probably wont be able to use it but I be back here!!

Hey guys I've some of the stuff written up for the next pack was wondering will a few of ye give it the once over, see if it can be improved and stuff!

Oh and i've an email setup for this very cause , its included in the text files.

Cheers!

What a  R4 can do.txt

How to set up a R4.txt

Info.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Prob gonna get one, they look damn good

Hey guys just letting you know i'm still planning on putting up the next one on monday, just adding a few new things at the moment!

By the way if you can avoid never open your ds!! I only got my ds back yesterday from my brother ( i havent used it well over a year, was using my sisters one with the R4) I ordered a new housing of dealextreme as the hinge was broken and i replaced the old one , I charged the ds up and went to turn it on his morning... turned straight back off! After a good few times trying it eventually stayed on.... but the top screen displayed nothing! I've figured out that the turning on and off is a power fuse problem and i can either replace it or i can short it. But if any one has a bricked old style ds and they want to donate/sell there top screen that would be great! I can buy it off dealextreme but it wont be here for 3 weeks, and it mightn't even be a case of replacing it!!
    I dont know if the ds was broken before i opened it but if some one does want to go against my warnings and open the ds , if you drop me a line i'll do my best to help!!

• Advertisement

Hey guys. Heres the packs i promised, would have had them up earlier but i forgot to include the 3 in 1 tool and i had it written all over the documentation that it was there! Anyways here we go!

R4DS Starter Pack V1.10 by witnessmenow

Updates since the last pack:

1. Major improvements on the readmes and the inclusions of a general readme which will tell you what
    to do in the right order.

2. Added Original/Colour Gameboy emulator

3. Tutorials on how to install/make your own skins

4. Inclusion of 3 in 1 expansion pack tool

5. Tutorials on how to use cheat codes.

6. I actually mentioned the fact that the new firmware auto DLDI patches!

What the pack includes:

1.The latest firmware 1.11 (has a better compatibility, download play now works in most games)
    and moonshell 1.71

2.A DLDI patching tool (DLDI-tool) including the R4 DLDI device patch (This is something you
    need to apply to a lot of homebrew applications to get them to work on your R4)

3.A NDS emulator for the PC, to try out homebrew apps before putting them on your R4 card

4.A video converter (Batch DPG v1.2) for watching video on moonshell.

5.A few emulators:
    Megadrive/genisis (JenisisDS 0.5)- works pretty good , never has sound.
    SNES (SNEmulDS 0.5) - Works good, sound is a small bit glitchy
    NES (NesDS) - Works very well
    Orginal/colour gameboy (Lameboy) - Works very well

6.A tutorial on how to install new skins and instructions to make your own

7.The 3 in 1 expansion pack tool - A program to let you boot the 3 in 1 card from the R4 menu
    (thanks to o1s1n @ boards.ie for this)

8.A tutorial on how to use Action Replay codes on your DS

And as i promised an On-The-Go v1.0 by witnessmenow

The latest firmware and moonshell
    Snes, NES, Gameboy, Megadrive emulators

To install simply drag the contents of "MAIN" to the root of your micro sd.

As always i want to hear some feed back from you!! And ENJOY!!

Advertisement