Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IE Railcars Not Till Feb 2008

Options
  • 08-10-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

wtf!

Does anybody have confirmation and is there any proof beyond what I heard on the radio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

wtf!

Does anybody have confirmation and is there any proof beyond what I heard on the radio?

I had heard some time ago (Late July) that there was issues with some of the electrics inside the units, as well as some problems with the power units. So a roll out date of 2008 for a proper launch would not be out of the realms IMO. Not too sure if driver training has begun yet, though I can find out same in the next few days; that will determine when they will begin in service training trials.

Units are still being delivered and it goes without saying that Irish Rail would not introduce them into service until they are working well (both as single 3 car units and as 6 and 9 car sets) and passed safe by themselves, the manafacturers and the Railway Safely Commission. What radio station did you hear what you heard on, may I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Hamndegger wrote:
    I had heard some time ago (Late July) that there was issues with some of the electrics inside the units, as well as some problems with the power units. So a roll out date of 2008 for a proper launch would not be out of the realms IMO. Not too sure if driver training has begun yet, though I can find out same in the next few days; that will determine when they will begin in service training trials.

Units are still being delivered and it goes without saying that Irish Rail would not introduce them into service until they are working well (both as single 3 car units and as 6 and 9 car sets) and passed safe by themselves, the manafacturers and the Railway Safely Commission. What radio station did you hear what you heard on, may I ask?

I was in the car and a caller into Ocean FM said he heard the new trains were not coming till Feb. The DJ said he would follow up but nothing has been said all day since. So I do not know how true this is. I also spoke to a CIE employee and she said she heard nothing one way or the others and is still expecting them to be in service soon. So fingers crossed it's a false alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Depends what trains you're talking about. The "Regional railcars" have been/are being delivered. There's a bunch sitting in Limerick station and undoubtedly elsewhere. I don't know, maybe these won't be in service till 2008.

However, there are also further big orders of rolling stock to be placed - maybe these are what people are talking about not having been delivered yet. Though afaik, they've only just been put out to tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They were supposed to enter service on the Sligo line last month but according to Platform 11 (or whatever they're now calling themselves when they're not trying to pick fights on this forum) they'll be in service within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The only date Iarnród Éireann ever quoted was "Autumn 2007".

That runs from September 22 to December 21 (the meteorological definition) so there are 2.5 months left yet!

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote:

That runs from September 22 to December 21 (the meteorological definition) so there are 2.5 months left yet!

What annoys me is how IE get your hopes up. 2 weeks back all the local papers were filled with interviews with Barry Kenny going on about how Santa is just about to come down the chimmney for Sligo line users and then suddenly it's all very vague, the trains are missing and everybody is shuffling their feet and whistling. Very irritating I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

KC61 wrote:

I didn't realise Barry Kenny was a meteorologist. In Ireland autumn is August, September and October (admittedly in the rest of the northern hemisphere its Sept-Nov).

loyatemu wrote:
    I didn't realise Barry Kenny was a meteorologist. In Ireland autumn is August, September and October (admittedly in the rest of the northern hemisphere its Sept-Nov).

With all the hot air he blows... (on behalf of others I might add)

Is there any other country in the world were the railway system has a minor celeb who comes on TV every time something goes wrong?

I might be simplistic, but in other countries I have noticed a tendency to fix the problems rather than turn them into a media damage limitation event.

Despite IE's PR machine being on a media blitz in Sligo for months now telling us that the new railcars would be in service 2 weeks ago - it now turns out that the units have been refused their operating certificate or something and get this, Irish Rail are hoping to have them in service for the Christmas Holidays...

Apart from the sheer muppetry of this carry on, you have to wonder if there is a serious fault with these trains considering how long they have been in the country and how long they have been in trials?

So there you have it. Irish Rail now considers Christmas to be "Early Autumn"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

what are you on about T21Fan, sure they're already in service, LOOK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

murphaph wrote: »
    what are you on about T21Fan, sure they're already in service, LOOK!

That picture is so calling out for an add the caption type thread...

D.

Advertisement