Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday Night Lights

• 31-10-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone else watching this and what do they think of it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I've seen the first season and thought it was very good. The cast is excellent. The reviews from America are almost all glowing, but the ratings are low unfortunately.

I like American football (and hey, cheerleaders) so that was the angle that hooked me at first, but the football is really secondary to telling the story of a small Texas town.

Haven't seen any of the second season yet, so can't comment on that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah the first 2 episodes of the second season are a little dissapointing but the first series was indeed very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

The second season hasnt been as good, but it's still better than most things on TV. The 3rd and 4th episodes did improve on the first 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

quality show, hope the ratings pick up in the states as the ratings S1 got would not usually be enough to save such a show. It got huge critical acclaim and many of the viewers it did have started petitions ect to save the show/create awareness of its existence. infact the uncertainty around if it would get a second season is said to be the reason S1 ended as it did
    Coach taylor taking the college coaching job and the team winning state. The season stood alone and left no questions to be answered in Season 2 as there might not be one, also why they won state (might not get another chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm watching it, 2nd season is different than the first but still enjoying it...

It's quality show, when i started watching it first i was expecting the football to be at the front, but it's not, it doesn't revolve fully around every game, more the people instead...

Are RTE still showing it at some ridiculously late time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

very similar in style and camera work to the movie it was based on but a small bit lighter in terms of content. I really enjoyed the first season but the second has been slow to take off so far, storylines don't really seem great so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well I think it's really going to get moving after Ep3 haven't watched the 4th one yet though. The slightly outrageous storyline involving Landry has me a little annoyed but I'll see where they go with it.

Overall though it's very good and I hope it stays on the air.

It's shot using 3 handheld cameras with no rehearsals or walkthroughs so the cast just say their lines or make them up as they go along and walk around the place and just have the cameras follow them.

It really cuts down on costs and is a cool way to make a show. Even though I heard that in a season the production is worth $33 million to Austin (where it's shot)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kevmy wrote: »
    Well I think it's really going to get moving after Ep3 haven't watched the 4th one yet though. The slightly outrageous storyline involving Landry has me a little annoyed but I'll see where they go with it.

Have to agree here, what were they thinking with that storyline. Pointless sidetrack

Overall though it's very good and I hope it stays on the air.

It's shot using 3 handheld cameras with no rehearsals or walkthroughs so the cast just say their lines or make them up as they go along and walk around the place and just have the cameras follow them.

It really cuts down on costs and is a cool way to make a show. Even though I heard that in a season the production is worth $33 million to Austin (where it's shot)

Class class show. I have been to Austin when I drove from west to east coast of America and Austin was the number 1 city for me. Just a great place. Largest domed state capital building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

I actually really want to see it. It's got some of the most positive critical buzz I've ever read last year and it looks very watchable. Pity RTE dumped it where they did..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I watched the first two eps of the first season and really enjoyed it so I've put it down for the DVD box set for chrimbo...dvd buying veto is now in effect as its Nov or I would pick it up meself. Looking forward to a couple of chrimbo days lying in the couch watching this!

• Advertisement

I actually really want to see it. It's got some of the most positive critical buzz I've ever read last year and it looks very watchable. Pity RTE dumped it where they did..

That's one of dreams running RTE for a month I'd sort out sh1t lively enough put the good programmes on at proper times and cut all the crap. Viewership figures and the nations' happiness would increase at a stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I loved the film and was looking forward to watching the series, until RTE put it on at 2 in the morning. I will probably end up getting the box set as it is getting such good buzz.

They have Veronica Mars and Smallville in the same death slots on the schedule. Did they get these shows for free or something?
    I'd have thought TG4, TV3 or Channel 6 would be able to put those shows on in much better slots so I can't understand why RTE picked them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

They just get them really cheap, so they just use them as total filler. It is slightly understandable with Friday Night Lights though. It's very easy to assume that a show about a high school American football team wouldnt appeal to an Irish audience. Sure, most of America have just assumed that they wouldnt like it, and dont watch because of that.

The boxset is pretty cheap.I'm not sure how much the region 2 version will be, but they sold the region 1 boxset at $20 to try get new viewers, so I doubt it'll be expensive over here!

Apparently (it was mentioned here before) RTE buy up shows in groups... So they get maybe 2 or 3 (i don't know) shows in one package.

So they get whatever big show they want, and the rest are kinda thrown in for free... So they might as well show them somewhere, hence the stoopid-ass graveyard slots...

Hopefully they'll cop on and put these kinda shows somewhere sensible, and stop filling up space with repeats of Father Ted & Naked Camera... (amongst others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 memberofpublic

Is the second season online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The missus got the box set and from what i've seen it's pretty good.

Loved the movie though...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Loved the movie, have watched the first two episodes of the show and I'm dying to watch the third!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

Absolutely love the show. Much better than everything else out there. Season 2 is really beginning to pick up

Is the second season online anywhere?

If I say anything about anything I'll get banned but lets say I've seen some of the 2nd season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Season 1 was incredible. I've watched the first eps of season 2 and I'm liking it so far. Yeah that story line did seem unnecessary but its not all that terrible, I just hope it doesn't over shadow everything else thats going on.

I love the way the characters constantly challenge your opinion of them, everyone in it is flawed. I'd say it has the most character depth of any show currently being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

at least according to tv.com it is.
    October on direcTv first and then february, I think, on NBC.
    Excellent news seeing as season 2 ended without any conclusions
    due to the strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

sweetie wrote: »
    at least according to tv.com it is.
    October on direcTv first and then february, I think, on NBC.
    Excellent news seeing as season 2 ended without any conclusions
    due to the strike.
    that's 6 months away :( think i'll watch it all over again from the start

Excellent news re. FNL...

Reading all the reports around the place over the last few weeks it's clear that while the critics love it, it's not so popular with the public...

But roll on season 3. Wonder what they'll do with the players going to college and stuff... And the fact that the season ended before the football season in series did...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Where can you see it, what channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Season 1 is available on DVD. It was shown on ITV4 and more recently on RTE2(at 4am).
    Season 2 will be available on DVD in America later this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

gary hobson eh? was delighted to see early edition on television there a few days ago, but it was this instead, pretty good also.

Where can you see it, what channel?

It looks like Channel 6 will be showing the series from the beginning, starting Sunday April 13th at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Don't know how I missed this thread! I'm very glad that FNL has been renewed by NBC as it was looking pretty bleak at one point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Best thing on TV. Can't wait til it starts back. Damn you, writers strike!

Advertisement