Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving the catholic church, its easier then you think: defecting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thanks for the info. Have been meaning to getting around to doing this for ages!
    An interesting blog -- worth a read for its rare point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

What's the point? The only reason you'd want to do that is if you wanted to change religion. If you're atheist it's really pointless in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wait...if they still claim you as a Christian, then what does this process represent?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait...if they still claim you as a Christian, then what does this process represent?
    It means your unborn kids can't get into certain schools. ;)

Don't think I'd to bothered defecting (to where?) anyhow but thanks for the info.
    Maybe we should make it an A&A sticky. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

Dades wrote: »
    It means your unborn kids can't get into certain schools. ;)

Don't think I'd to bothered defecting (to where?) anyhow but thanks for the info.
    Maybe we should make it an A&A sticky. :D

Well this question has been posed before, so perhaps a sticky isn't the worst of ideas.

As fun as sending a letter to the primate is, a male is technically excommunicated for passing through a nunnery. Which I find quite amusing. People should just hop over the nunnery walls to say a friendly hello to the nuns and to remark to the nuns about how, due to your chance meeting, that you are now excommunicate.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Don't think I'd to bothered defecting (to where?)

The Devil, clearly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well this question has been posed before, so perhaps a sticky isn't the worst of ideas.
    Very true. Therefore I've included a link to this thread in the "Related Links" sticky.
    So any new questions can be referred there initially. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This sounds most unsatisfying.

If you were to leave my church I'd give you a nice framed certificate certifying you to be a hell-bound apostate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote: »

If you were to leave my church I'd give you a nice framed certificate certifying you to be a hell-bound apostate. ;)

Can I get one?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Me too! But only if the cert starts off "In the name of God..." or something equivalent. So I can be sure that I'm getting it from somebody who's qualified to give it. I'd hate to receive something fake from somebody who doesn't believe that they're dictating conditions on behalf of god.

• Advertisement

Actually, there's a possible business opportunity in this. Would it be acceptable for a pastor to bring money in for his ministry through the sale of "Certificates of Apostasy"? Or is it a form of simony?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What address can I send my application to PDN?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

ned78 wrote: »
    What address can I send my application to PDN?
    +1:)
    Zillah wrote:
    The Devil, clearly.
    You have clearly not been paying attention, its Satan:).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

or Santa as secular liberalism refers to him in modern times.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

But you can't even resize a image. I hope your calligraphy is up to scratch!
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Actually, there's a possible business opportunity in this. Would it be acceptable for a pastor to bring money in for his ministry through the sale of "Certificates of Apostasy"? Or is it a form of simony?

Well if you keep all the profits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Zillah wrote: »

Exactly, I mean if you want to leave the church, stop going to mass. Why go to all the trouble of filling out forms and having some priest sign paperwork just so you can know within yourself that you dont belong to the Catholic Church. Surely, if you are that upset and against the teachings of the church you can just stop getting involved, the average suburban household doesnt have that much involvement with their local parish these days anyway unless they choose too

And didnt bible class 101 teach you, above all else, that you have the free will to make this choice yourself and you dont need to fill out forms and get permission from someone else to leave the institution

think of all those in the one in four organisation who, despite the years of constant abuse at the hands of the christian brothers, continued to go to mass. im not a religious person by nature but this just shows that some people just want to make a scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    What's the point? The only reason you'd want to do that is if you wanted to change religion. If you're atheist it's really pointless in my opinion.

whats the point? its to leave the Roman Catholic Church.

christian is description rather then an organisation...?

clericalwhisper is a useful blog, he doesn't comment that much just reproduces articles

the keyword they use in the process is defection rather then apostasy

I was saying on atheist.ie I think the Bishop of limerick used it last week when talking about celebrity culture obviously using it in a negative pejorative tone

you can see on the clericalwhisper blog post above the owner claims that apostate isn't a derogatory word, but I think it is

it is usual that pdn, the bigot fighter that he is would use that word.
    http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?apostate
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apostate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy
    Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy

some may think atheist have to work hard to find a way to insulted but its not so hard when you have the bishops associating secularism with materialism consumerism vainity etc...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/being-an-irish-celebrity-can-be-dangerous-warns-bishop-1213487.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

whats the point? its to leave the Roman Catholic Church.

christian is description rather then an organisation...?

clericalwhisper is a useful blog, he doesn't comment that much just reproduces articles

the keyword they use in the process is defection rather then apostasy

I was saying on atheist.ie I think the Bishop of limerick used it last week when talking about celebrity culture obviously using it in a negative pejorative tone

you can see on the clericalwhisper blog post above the owner claims that apostate isn't a derogatory word, but I think it is

it is usual that pdn, the bigot fighter that he is would use that word.
    http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?apostate
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apostate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostasy
    Apostasy (from Greek αποστασία, meaning a defection or revolt, from απο, apo, "away, apart", στασις, stasis, "standing") is a term generally employed to describe the formal abandonment or renunciation of one's religion, especially if the motive is deemed unworthy

Apostate means to move away from one's standing in the church. I thought it would be something for a real atheist to wear as a badge of honour - absolutely no offence intended.

I enjoy the odd piece of friendly banter on these boards - it would be a shame if we all became too po-faced to permit good natured humour.

I thought it would be something for a real atheist to wear as a badge of honour - absolutely no offence intended.

ah, but wearing it as a badge of honour would legitimise the church we've rejected. 'Look at us, we're not catholics', as opposed to 'we're atheists, you can look at us if you like but it's all just pointless'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Can't you get excommunicated by denying the existence of the Holy Ghost. As far as I know it is a mortal sin that gaurentees eternal damnation. Kind of like god as the Candyman.
    Here are some other things you can do to get kicked out without filling in forms
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication#Automatic_excommunication_.28.22latae_sententiae_excommunication.22.29

From the other side does anyone ever quite like the idea of religion except for all that god stuff? The Unitarians seem really nice and you get to sing nice songs. The Amish down in Waterford are almost annoyingly happy, without tripping over into creepy cultdom. Can you join the Amish if you do not believe in god?

• Advertisement

you could lie....

and we do have the experience of religion without the god stuff, they're called communities.
    that may have come across a tad more abrupt that I had intended, but it's half ten and I'm wasted.

--edit
    Procurement of a completed abortion (canon 1398), or

anyone fancy an abortion?

Mordeth wrote: »
    and we do have the experience of religion without the god stuff, they're called communities.

I hate when people make these sort of mistakes.

"But, religion is good because people need a moral framework."
    "We need religion because without a community we're all much worse off."

Religion =/= morality
    Religion =/= community

a religion in and of itself no, but what do you think organised religion is organising?

we're a community here... I see no reason to deny the god lovers their community either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

well at least you don't run the risk of being murdered for defecting like some other religions/cults that are being catered for in Ireland today, god speed

not these days no, but that's no thanks to christianity. secularists had to beat the catholic church back slowly, and with great difficulty over many hundreds of years for us to enjoy the freedoms from religious bigotry you seem to admire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭smirkingmaurice

past is past,ya catholic church did woeful things and we all know that, what i cant understand is that now a cult is thriving on this guilt and everyone is willing to stand back and watch them politely as they change our world into an even worse place!!

are atheists the cult?

Mordeth wrote: »
    ah, but wearing it as a badge of honour would legitimise the church we've rejected. 'Look at us, we're not catholics', as opposed to 'we're atheists, you can look at us if you like but it's all just pointless'.

Nah, I'd like the full set. Ideally, I'd like a certificate of damnation from every religion and denomination thereof.

ecumenically,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'd like the full set. Ideally, I'd like a certificate of damnation from every religion and denomination thereof.

Yar, you be sigged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Yar, you be sigged.
    i second that motion :D

Advertisement