Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Week #45: "Ys" by Joanna Newsom

Options
  • 26-11-2007 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

This is by far one of my favourite albums of the last ten years so I'm delighted that I get to finish my modship on this note (that's right, I'm stepping down, feel free to cry). I feel this is much stronger than her debut, the lush orchestral arrangements and her voice (which is much stronger here) combine to make an absolutely stunning whole. The presentation of the album (gold leaf!) also adds a bit of class to proceedings. So, what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

I've got to agree with this being one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years (if not longer!). An absolutely astounding piece of work... I actually bought the album on a whim, and was enthralled from the opening line. It pretty much embodies everything that makes music great (in my eyes) and the lyrics are phenomenal. I've been playing this album at least every other day since I got it in February.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An absolute masterpiece, perhaps my favourite album of all time. It took me a few listens to fully appreciate it, but when I did, my mind just expanded with the energy, originality and perfection of the songs. I'd be lying if I said I understood the lyrics, but the whole experience has an other-worldly aura.

Amazing to see live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I adore this album, it pretty much dominated by DART journeys to and from college for the entirety of last year, so it inspires many moods. Mainly tiredness.

In any case, it's an extraordinary piece of music - a good deal better than her debut I think - and undoubtedly one of the strongest albums of the 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

A big thank you I think goes to Uncut last christmas for including Cosmia on their best of 06 cd, thus informing me of the wonder of Joanna Newsom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Fantastic album. Not exactly "Alternative and Indie", but still. Fantastic album.

• Advertisement
Advertisement