Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Options
  • 02-12-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

Just got a copy of this album today. First time I've been wowed by album in a long long time. Absolutely brilliant.

Highly recommended!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Was going to put a pic of a tumbleweed in here but instead I'm gonna check them out. God knows why I trust you Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll drag this up to say... yeah it's pretty good. First album in a while I've actually liked. Go mgmt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

i like it alot,time to pretend reminds me of abba put through the indie dance mill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Tom Dunne is continually playing one of their songs on his show. It's the only one i've heard, but it is rather brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

'Weekend Wars' (track 2 I think) is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

this is a fantastic album - actually listening to electric feel.
    i would encourage people to pick it up and give it a chance, like others have already said it is the first album that has grabbed me in a while.
    i have given the album to a few people now and they havent had a bad word to say about it.
    they are on jools holland tonight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fantastic album! Keep me happy at work for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

They were fantastic on Jools Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

still waiting on the bloody thing! where did you people get it? I pre-ordered it online, first band to get me running for an album in a good while...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i must found it by accident last week in Zhivago Records in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Cracking album, friend of mine texted me to tell me about them. Got the album, loved it.

Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

First time I listened to the album I didn't really like it, Im so glad I gave it a second chance, I can't stop listening to it now!

They did a cool interview with The Guardian:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,2258579,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Sorry to dig up a (not so) old thread but I jsut thought I'd chime in and recommend this album. What the op said; this is the first album to really impress me for quite some time.

<3 Time to Pretend

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭K0K0

bloody hell, this is a pretty unanimous thread... and I ain't gonna change that.
    I'm usually pretty resistant to new bands, they have to win me over and it doesn't happen too often, but I loved this straight away... just really great melodic songs... ace!

Some people have made a video for the track Kids. It's on You Tube and I think it was done as a college project. It is brilliant though! Really worth checking out. I'd link to it here but I don't have You Tube access here in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Good album alright with some of the tracks brilliant while others just ok. Damn it all as well that their next gig with CSS and the Futureheads conflicts with Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

catch--22 wrote: »
    Some people have made a video for the track Kids. It's on You Tube and I think it was done as a college project. It is brilliant though! Really worth checking out. I'd link to it here but I don't have You Tube access here in work!

This it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIEOZCcaXzE

Its really good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Good album alright with some of the tracks brilliant while others just ok. Damn it all as well that their next gig with CSS and the Futureheads conflicts with Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip!!

When are DLS and Scroobius coming back? And where? nevermind found it.

When are DLS and Scroobius coming back? And where? nevermind found it.

I've seen them 3 times now (and loved everyone of their shows) so might edge towards MGMT this time since I missed Saturdays gig due to work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Is that MGMT/ CSS gig sold out?

• Advertisement

biZrb wrote: »

Could be....I can't see it in work. Does it have a boy and girl in Kiss style make-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Could be....I can't see it in work. Does it have a boy and girl in Kiss style make-up?

Yep- had a look at it last night and the makeup was definitely Kiss-esque!

Is that MGMT/ CSS gig sold out?

Looks like it- on Ticketmaster they have 'Currently not on sale' and tickets went on sale last week. You could try the likes of Sound Cellar, Road Records, or City Discs but I wouldn't be too hopefully since they might not have received any if Ticketmaster sold out that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TiTo13

You can still get tickets for that gig from:
    http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?code=302984&userid={B764A463-B93C-4A82-851E-7DA66C979211}&filler1=see&filler2=art-srch

I don't know anything about this crowd though. There was a woman on liveline the other day talking about getting ripped off on Liverpool tickets she never recieved. She was talking about some sort of similar online sold out tickets crowd based in the uk, and this sort of puts me off.

Then again I really want to go to this gig and I think I will buy the tickets anyway. MGMT are the best band I have listened to this year and CSS arn't too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

A quick google for "seetickets" brings up stories of people seemingly ripped off. I wouldnt advise buying from them!

I was at the gig last saturday and it was fantastic, i'd love to pick up tickets for the next gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TiTo13

A quick google for "seetickets" brings up stories of people seemingly ripped off. I wouldnt advise buying from them!

I think I will risk it. It is only €55(not that I enjoy throwing away money) for 2 tickets and I really, really want to go to the gig. If this is the only way then I may as well. I checked them out and they seem to be legit enough, but with awful customer service. On the other hand loads of people seem to have had problems with them in the past, tickets not delivered mostly it would seem.

On an other note, anyone catch the interview with MGMT on phantom tonight? It was pretty good imo, if a little short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but bought Orcular Spectacular today and listening to it alone late at night and no one to tell how bloody brilliant this album is to. It's unbelievably good. As you've all said, first album in a long time to make me go woweeee.Brrrr-illllll-eeeee-ant!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but bought Orcular Spectacular today and listening to it alone late at night and no one to tell how bloody brilliant this album is to. It's unbelievably good. As you've all said, first album in a long time to make me go woweeee.Brrrr-illllll-eeeee-ant!

Ditto. Top album.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DaSchmo

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

K0K0 wrote: »
    bloody hell, this is a pretty unanimous thread... and I ain't gonna change that.

I will. What a horrendous Scissor Sisters tribute act, who have got a little bit of cred because they add a few Flaming Lips covers to the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ekels wrote: »
    I will. What a horrendous Scissor Sisters tribute act, who have got a little bit of cred because they add a few Flaming Lips covers to the album.
    And exactly which Flaming Lips covers would they be? Pray tell.

Advertisement