Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacWorld 2008

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 YsgynMurrion

babypink wrote: »
    Just announced - el Jobso will be giving the keynote at the expo beginning January 14th!! can anyone say "new slim MacBook Pro" :p

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-deliver-opening-keynote-at-macworld-2008/
    I want an AppleTv 2.0 with itunes movie rentals....Oh yeah and a release date for the iPhone over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Ultraportable mac ultraportable mac ultraportable mac ultraportable mac ultraportable mac ultraportable mac ultraportable mac!

Please Steve! ultraportable mac!

*cough*
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hmmm... /me starts thinking of ways to get to SF for the 14th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ultraportable tablet macbook with multitouch screen. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

Ultraportable tablet macbook with multitouch screen. Please.
    Now THAT would be nice :D Of course a full iTunes store (TV, video) in Ireland and an announcement that Apple will forevermore observe currency trends when setting their prices in different countries would also be nice ;)

• Advertisement

Hopefully iTunes will take a leaf from the new Amazon music store and lower their song prices. Wishful thinking eh?:rolleyes:

Excuse the doublepost but Link. I was kinda hoping for a 10" or so screen:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

13.3" is small enough imo. We need something to take the place of the 12" Powerbook. But knowing Apple they'll find some way to cripple it. Everytime I got to buy a new laptop they do something to put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Just announced - el Jobso will be giving the keynote at the expo beginning January 14th!! can anyone say "new slim MacBook Pro" :p

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/03/steve-jobs-to-deliver-opening-keynote-at-macworld-2008/

I was under the impression Steve was always the main man in the mac world when a keynote was delivered. ( i am only a year using mac)

I am waiting to see what apple are going to do with apple tv. If i like what i see i will buy it. If i see no new ideas or something that does not appeal to me i will not buy apple tv. This mac world is all about apple tv to me. Although one never knows what is going to happen........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

rumourmill goodies!!!

-New sub-notebook MacBook Pro.
    -New sub-notebook 50 percent thinner.
    -New sub-notebook employs flash memory instead of hard drive.
    -New sub-notebook to retail for $1500.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/06/apple_sub_notebook_to_retail_for_1500_3g_iphone_by_june_report.html

if this is true........wooooohooooo!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Also rumors of 10.5.2 being released at MacWorld, of a sub-notebook minus any optical drive, and of an iTablet for 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Nice rumours... 3G iPhone rumoured to be released before June at the latest as well.

So I was listening to the year end MacBreak Weekly and Andy Ihnatko mentioned the idea of a "big iPhone". A tablet like device that would be bigger than an iphone but smaller than a laptop, that would hit a 799$ pricepoint. The more the group discussed it (the wantability factor plus the delay of the iPhone SDK) it began to make a lot of sense to me.

It's highly plausible that Apple were so reluctant to even announce the existence of an iPhone SDK nevermind a release date because the SDK was capable of writing programmes not just for the iPhone but for unreleased computers and devices.

If anything though, I for one would be disappointed if Apple released a touchscreen ultraportable (another rumour) and would not even consider purchasing it. Similarly, a tablet/PDA device with no phone capabilities wouldn't even bleep on my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

A new MightyMouse would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Any chance of improvements/price reductions on the 15.4" Macbook Pros? Am thinking of picking one up in March/April.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hoping for a ultra portable MBP as stated, my GF is heading to NYC in Feb and I'd like them to be shipping by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i plan on introducing myself to the world of mac this year, so really anything new would be good for me. i'm keeping a keen eye on any MBP announcements, but normal macbook improvements might be up my alley too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Read a good one yesterday ( google news, it's my main page when i open up safari) -- it went something like this --- ' This years mac world blah blah blah ( my words) will be opened up by Steve Jobs, more blah blah blah . Steve Jobs often opens mac world ... blah blah blah and he uses this as a BULLY PULPIT.

Steve does make you want to buy stuff, he does it so well, sorry i have said this before and i am about to repeat myself, again, I really hope something special is done with apple tv. This product should be good, it probably is, but it lacks an ____ ( can't find the word) with me.

Do you think apple will crack the tablet market that the other companies have failed to do.????

Anyway, one advice, after watching Steve on the bully pulpit give yourself a week before you decide to buy. You may not need the new stuff.

I also reckon that 2008 will be the year millions and millions of people will see the light and move to mac. That is my prediction of 2008. I reckon this mac world will be awesome. I can't wait for it.

Anyone else think the Mac Mini clearout is testament to Apple dropping it completely from its lineup come Macworld?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Supposedly the beans have been spilt on the new macbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

What terrible timing, I'm flying into San Francisco on the 13th and flying to Vegas on the 14th so I'll miss the whole Macworld (I'm flying back to SFO on the 17th).

I was in SF the year that they released the iPod Shuffle and every lamppost in the city was covered in posters for it, they really love the Mac in SF

Hopefully whatever they release will be in the Apple store in Union Square when I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm hoping for a new Mac Pro (hopefully with a non-crap graphics card for dual-boot gaming goodness!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Anyone else think the Mac Mini clearout is testament to Apple dropping it completely from its lineup come Macworld?

what mac mini clearout? the pc world one is old models and nothing to do with Apple...

Call_me_al wrote: »
    what mac mini clearout? the pc world one is old models and nothing to do with Apple...

Obviously, but with the reports of low stock levels of the mini (and blackbook) could there be a replacement? Seems like a fairly moot point anyway.

Don't think anyone has posted about the supposed iTunes rentals, both appleinsider and macrumors seem to think that this will be a major announcement. Macworld is traditionally where consumer products are unveiled right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Macworld is traditionally where consumer products are unveiled right?

yeah. it's a complete pain in the arse as i want to buy a mbp but there's no point if there's a new one in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 firewire

Also rumors of 10.5.2 being released at MacWorld, of a sub-notebook minus any optical drive, and of an iTablet for 2008.

This is not a rumor, but fact! (opps 10.5.2)

Also 1.1.3 update and new iphone baseband (might be called 1.2.0) - Confirmed as real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

firewire wrote: »
    This is not a rumor, but fact!

Also 1.1.3 update and new iphone baseband (might be called 1.2.0) - Confirmed as real
    By anyone at Apple, or a random person on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

This is not a rumor, but fact!

you've obviously seen the gearlive video too

Fact: firmware update is rumour until announced by Apple, leaked firmware video or not.

Fact: notions of sub-notebook minus internal optical drive are rumour until announced by Apple, analyst guesses or not.

Conclusion: Everything is rumour until announced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 firewire

you've obviously seen the gearlive video too

Fact: firmware update is rumour until announced by Apple, leaked firmware video or not.

Fact: notions of sub-notebook minus internal optical drive are rumour until announced by Apple, analyst guesses or not.

Conclusion: Everything is rumour until announced!

Yes seen the gearlive vid and photos which I didn't believe. Normally you have to take every thing Apple rumor related with a grain of salt, but after a number of days it has been confirmed as being in the hands of the dev team. The source that this information has come from is reportedly accurate, time will tell.

Fact remains that 10.5.2 has been seed to developers and is almost good to go for Macworld
    itunes rental (probably states only) is long anticipated - and a number of studios personal are heading to San Fran specifically for 15th (Steves Keynote).
    Notebook is pure speculation at the moment and only rumor. Might come to pass.
    Iphone update appears to be very convincing and as it has been confirmed by the dev team almost certainly more than rumor. I guess we will know for certain on Tuesday the 15th after steve finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Yes seen the gearlive vid and photos which I didn't believe. Normally you have to take every thing Apple rumor related with a grain of salt, but after a number of days it has been confirmed as being in the hands of the dev team. The source that this information has come from is reportedly accurate, time will tell.

Fact remains that 10.5.2 has been seed to developers and is almost good to go for Macworld
    itunes rental (probably states only) is long anticipated - and a number of studios personal are heading to San Fran specifically for 15th (Steves Keynote).
    Notebook is pure speculation at the moment and only rumor. Might come to pass.
    Iphone update appears to be very convincing and as it has been confirmed by the dev team almost certainly more than rumor. I guess we will know for certain on Tuesday the 15th after steve finishes.
    So, not FACT or confirmed as real at all then...

Advertisement