Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livery Prices

Options
  • 05-12-2007 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

i have been hearing of some absolutely outrageous livery prices (€60 for grass ???, friend of mine being charged €140 pw for mediocre full livery in West Dublin) recently and was wondering if its just a Dublin phenomenon?

Without naming the yards interested in seeing what various places around the country are charging for full/diy livery. The two yards I ride out of (no horse of my own though:(), both on south Dublin/Wicklow border charge €120 for full, with very good facilities in one and reasonable facilities + superb hacking in the other. Neither offer diy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FLASHDANCE

Clip-Clop wrote: »
    i have been hearing of some absolutely outrageous livery prices (€60 for grass ???, friend of mine being charged €140 pw for mediocre full livery in West Dublin) recently and was wondering if its just a Dublin phenomenon?

Without naming the yards interested in seeing what various places around the country are charging for full/diy livery. The two yards I ride out of (no horse of my own though:(), both on south Dublin/Wicklow border charge €120 for full, with very good facilities in one and reasonable facilities + superb hacking in the other. Neither offer diy.

Hi Clip Clop,

Yeah thankfully i have my own yard at home where i keep my horses which im lucky for, But many of my freinds are in livery yards, they do be telling me some of the prices god its worse than having a mortgage at the end of the month,
    Some yards well 1 in paticular i know of charges for the following,
    Someone to feed your horses, Someone to turn your horse out to grass and to bring them back in, the use of the arena and then lighting on top of that, if the horse is been clipped or attenend by vet / farrier you will be charged for that aswell, and wait for it here is the best i have heard, horse was going to be turned away in september for a month but there wasnt any adequate grass for the horse for the month so the owner had to put the horse in grazing for a month pay for that and then also had to pay for the stable to be kept free for your horse in the livery yard and then they put another horse in the stable and where getting 2 liveries for the 1 stable,
    What a joke its scandalous,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

I've found DIY livery and part livery hard to come by here in Laois.. It's roughly E75 - E80 pw for very basic partlivery - not great hacking either.. At my yard (brand spanking new monarch indoor stabling, international size indoor, huuuuge outdoor, XC course being built atm, lunge ring, horsewalker and grazing. The hacking is fair to good.. all small lanes, some off road hacking with a few mins etc) part livery (they don't ride him but do everything else so is kind of part/full mixture) is E120 .. but he is done beautifully..

I pay for part as they don't do DIY although I still do a lot myself as I like doing it..(and am an anally retentive weirdo) .. I muck out & t/o before work.. rug up, skip out & feed in the evening when I've ridden.. they bring him in at lunchtime, wash off his legs etc, put his wraps on, do haylage/lunch and skip out during the day.. they obviously do everything for him while I'm away or can't get there etc..

It's close to my house (@ 4miles) and I like the atmosphere to.. nicest yard I've found ..

Bx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 vpg

hmm, re livery prices, I would have to agree that some places really do take the mick as far a charging goes (as I have had it done on me in the past) however I think it should not be forgotten that while 60 euro is on the excessive side for grass livery, it should be considered that "if done right" the place offering this service will potentially have the cost of owning/buying the land, fencing, maintenance of fencing, maintenance of the pasture ie(harrowing, fertilising, rolling, re-seeding, topping) & being responsible for the general well being of the animal while on grass livery ie ensuring rugs are not leaking, checking legs, possibly hard feeding in winter, and checking gerneral health oh!! and dont forget public liability insurance in case an owner decides to sue for whatever reason.
    I accept that the above description is probably not how the majority of grass liveries are operated however if I was paying 60 euro that is what I would be expecting for my money and cost would add up in that case.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I haven't found any diy yards in Wicklow area, but the yard that I'm in is fabulous, full livery for 110pw. It has excellent turnout, excellent staff, floodlit arena, tackroom etc. My horse has never been better in himself and never looked better (condition wise). I couldn't ask for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Im paying €100/week for a lovely yard in Sligo, great hacking - beach, mountains and forrest (not that i get to avail of them much as i live in Roscommon!)

Lovely indoor that you are free to use whenever there arn't lessons on and an outdoor thats available all of the time. Theres a small x country course too but its only open in summer. Turnout is not available in winter except in sand arena. Theres great facilities there, locker room, viewing area and bar etc.

For that price they feed, muck out and turn out. I have two friends that look after her other needs and ride her as i dont get down to yard often due to long drive. Unofficially included in that price, you can usually join in one lesson a week for no charge which is great.

Its an ideal place to keep a horse, but for me i wish it was closer to home, or i wish home was closer to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Those prices are not just in Dublin. In the local yard its €140 for full livery (including horse fed, mucked out, excercised if needed, turned out weather permitting, use of arena).
    Thats cheap compared to some yards in Kildare ( I think Kill EC and Jack Doyles yard would be a dearer than that)
    its an expensive time to have a horse allright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The yard where my horse is charges €110 in north county dublin. No turnout but that doesnt bother me as I love going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

€120 per week in dublin/kildare border. Horse turned out during the day, but not touched otherwise (including rug not changed when they come in)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nualini

missloulou wrote: »
    I haven't found any diy yards in Wicklow area, but the yard that I'm in is fabulous, full livery for 110pw. It has excellent turnout, excellent staff, floodlit arena, tackroom etc. My horse has never been better in himself and never looked better (condition wise). I couldn't ask for more.

Would you mind telling me what your livery yard is called? I'm looking for livery for my horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 horsenut

Hi,

i'm looking for DIY yard in Wicklow. I read all the postings, but no-one is giving names or exact locations- are they secret? Or is there just none out there? The yard I have been in for the last 3 years has just been taken over and they dont do DIY only full. Cant afford full livery prices!

Went to see a "DIY" yard last night but there were so many restrictions on times allowed to visit etc that it just wasnt worth it. I am used to doing everything, from organising feed, beeding, hay, stables, grazing etc that I couldnt bear not be so hands on!

Help! I have to leave my yard by Sunday! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

hmm sounds familiar;). Whereabouts are you looking?

I think most people don't want to openly advertise on the internet how much their YO's charge, why don't you pm some of the posters.

As fits said, let us know where your looking and we might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Horsenut is looking for DIY livery around the ashford/roundwood/glenealy/rathdrum area.
    (hope I'm not jumping the gun there)

I'll put the word out, but horsenut if your really stuck I could have a stable spare, to tie you over, i have a lunging ring which does for a little bit of turn out but no grazing at present. I'm only about 10 mins from Rathdrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 horsenut

Hi,

thanks for all your messages. am still looking for local DIY yards but have myself temporarily sorted in a "stop-gap" yard so the panic has abated a wee bit

thx again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Beemz

Hi, would you mind giving me the name of the livery yard in Wiclow please and if you know of any others..thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

I get diy livery in near galway city for 100 quid a month, hay and electricity included!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 walter321

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Im paying €100/week for a lovely yard in Sligo, great hacking - beach, mountains and forrest (not that i get to avail of them much as i live in Roscommon!)

Lovely indoor that you are free to use whenever there arn't lessons on and an outdoor thats available all of the time. Theres a small x country course too but its only open in summer. Turnout is not available in winter except in sand arena. Theres great facilities there, locker room, viewing area and bar etc.

For that price they feed, muck out and turn out. I have two friends that look after her other needs and ride her as i dont get down to yard often due to long drive. Unofficially included in that price, you can usually join in one lesson a week for no charge which is great.

Its an ideal place to keep a horse, but for me i wish it was closer to home, or i wish home was closer to it...
    Hi
    sounds a mega riding yard, where abouts is it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Hi Walter, Its in Carrowroe, just outside sligo. Can PM you with name and phone number if your interested... Let me know.

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Hi Walter, Its in Carrowroe, just outside sligo. Can PM you with name and phone number if your interested... Let me know.
    Hi
    Thank you for any information which you may have
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dimmer

Clip-Clop wrote: »

I have heard of DIY Livery just outside Longford town that is quite reasonable @ €80.00 grass/hay.

Hi
    is that 80 Euros per week or per month?
    Many thanks
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

what part in west dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

In fairness when you calculate the cost of running a yard well you get what you pay for.

Maintaining good turnout all year worm free and well drained. Weed control topping and fertilized fencing maintained to safe horse proof standards costs money.

Upkeep on automatic drinkers general stable equipment door runners feed containers. Stable drains for effluent clearance electrics for lighting and safe wiring. Maintanance of storage and drying areas for rugs grooming equipment veterinary gear.....

To say nothing of the cost of well trained staff to care for the horses every need and the huge cost of insurance.

Oh and presumably we;) would all enjoy an expensive to build and costly to maintain arena to ride in and quality safe fences to jump and dressage letters for schooling.

Its endless I've seen yards break themselves to give horses the best so maybe we should assess that when assessing value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

needadvice wrote: »
    In fairness when you calculate the cost of running a yard well you get what you pay for.

Maintaining good turnout all year worm free and well drained. Weed control topping and fertilized fencing maintained to safe horse proof standards costs money.

Upkeep on automatic drinkers general stable equipment door runners feed containers. Stable drains for effluent clearance electrics for lighting and safe wiring. Maintanance of storage and drying areas for rugs grooming equipment veterinary gear.....

To say nothing of the cost of well trained staff to care for the horses every need and the huge cost of insurance.

Oh and presumably we;) would all enjoy an expensive to build and costly to maintain arena to ride in and quality safe fences to jump and dressage letters for schooling.

Its endless I've seen yards break themselves to give horses the best so maybe we should assess that when assessing value for money.

someone sounds like a yard owner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Worked for a few for my sins:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 taylor_made

hey every1, very new 2 this web site. lol.
    im from northern ireland and have just been offered a livery yard in sligo. im thinkin about. i wud b offerin grass liver. diy and full livery also a clipin service and schoolin and breakin ect. there is an outdoor school and a horse walker. i wud b livin on the site. im bhs qual so wud b doing lessons. but was wonderin if u lot cud give me a hand on wat 2 charge per week and if u have any ideas of wat u wud want from ur livery yard.
    as i said im new 2 this so if u cud email me at <snip> it wud b great and if not just reply on this. every1s veiws and help wud b will appreciated. many thanks xo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ponygal 100

i go to a stables in dublin and they charge a rediculous 140 a week for a PONYand 150 a week for a horse , the paddocks r crappy and the only good thing about the place is the indoor arena does any1 no of any other yards arround dublin that r any better coz the manager is an a**h*le !!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: also its 80 euro a week to live out for a PONY i dunno wat it is for a horse but its just rediculous nd like i no the yard costs allot to run and upkeep but its not being kept well it looks like the yar is fallin 2 bits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

i go to a stables in dublin and they charge a rediculous 140 a week for a PONYand 150 a week for a horse , the paddocks r crappy and the only good thing about the place is the indoor arena does any1 no of any other yards arround dublin that r any better coz the manager is an a**h*le !!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: also its 80 euro a week to live out for a PONY i dunno wat it is for a horse but its just rediculous nd like i no the yard costs allot to run and upkeep but its not being kept well it looks like the yar is fallin 2 bits

what part of dublin are you in?
    I'm in a fantastic yard in enniskerry not too far from south dublin with lots of happy owners and horses!
    drop me a pm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ponygal 100

sorry i only joined this website thing 2day how do i pm ?
    lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement