Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy old guy in Heuston station

Options
  • 17-12-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

So, was having breakfast in Supermac's this morning waiting for the train. My brother and I were the only people in the place until these three lads (all mid-20s I'd say) came in and sat down. Soon after, this guy comes in and I can't tell if he's drunk or just insane, but he's pretty noisy (in his late 50s/early 60s I'd imagine). So he orders his food, then sits down on the table behind the three lads who had just come in. He then proceeds to spit on the ground, and start talking to himself.

So I tried to ignore him and enjoy my breakfast. Next time I turned around, the young lads were exchanging comments with crazy guy. Nothing serious. I stopped paying attention, and suddenly I just saw the guys get out of their table and bolt straight out the door. The old guy got up and followed them. It was a complete WTF moment, because it was 3 against 1, and I wondered to myself what he could've said to intimidate them.

Went on with my breakfast, and next thing the old guy comes back in, with one of the lads who ran out behind him, absolutely incensed, hurling abuse at him. He was absolutely livid. The old guy sat back down and didn't look at all bothered that the young guy was about to kill him. When I found out what he had done, I understood what the guy was so angry about and why he had ran out the door - the old guy had pulled a fake gun on them!

When they came back in there were a couple of security guys who reached into the old guy's pocket and pulled out the gun. My heart skipped a couple of beats because it looked really convincing. Anyway, the guy who had been shouting at the old fella had to be restrained, at one point he picked up a chair and I thought he was going to hurl it at him. Eventually his friends brought him out, and later we saw the old guy being led away by the Gardai.

Felt sorry for the guys, to have a gun pulled on you and as far as you're concerned it's real. Creepy.

Anyone hear about this? I wonder what happened to the guy, is it an arrestable offence to carry around a fake gun or would they have just confiscated it and told him to feck off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Anyone hear about this? I wonder what happened to the guy, is it an arrestable offence to carry around a fake gun or would they have just confiscated it and told him to feck off?
    It's a serious offence. He'll most likely be charged. What happens after that... who knows? He's probably, as you put it, "crazy".

Fair play to security (Even if they were quite sure it was fake...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Fckíng hell that is crazy,

Breakfast in Supermacs?????

WellyJ wrote: »

ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah I was surprised too, they do a quite tasty breakfast roll :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

That's exactly what i was thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Supermacs should only be eaten while drunk, were you drunk?? :mad:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

He will get the works for that, as the lads thought it was a real gun he will be charged as if it were a real one afaik...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What were the staff like? I used to go out with the manager there, she was a great sh*g, and they used to have a few good looking staff.

Oh, sorry, is this off topic? Sorru, I must be drunk.....

Over-compensating there, eh, galwaygay99?
    But, yes, the staff there is usually quite... pleasant to the eye. That's 200% more pleasant than usual.

Staying on-topic: I too would enjoy hearing about the staff and their reaction to the incident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

zero19 wrote: »
    He will get the works for that, as the lads thought it was a real gun he will be charged as if it were a real one afaik...
    what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

zero19 wrote: »

That can't be true can it? If it is what's the usual punishment for carrying a gun?

I'd say it was feckin scary for those lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I remember something like this happening before and the punishment was sizeable. Also I had McDOnalds for breakfast once, that was a low moment for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    That can't be true can it? If it is what's the usual punishment for carrying a gun?

I'd say it was feckin scary for those lads.

It is true. If you use a fake gun in the commission of an offence then you will be charged the same way as if the gun was real. If he used it to rob a bank do you think he should get a lesser sentence just because its fake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Beano wrote: »
    It is true. If you use a fake gun in the commission of an offence then you will be charged the same way as if the gun was real. If he used it to rob a bank do you think he should get a lesser sentence just because its fake?

Never thought of that actually. But to be fair he didn't commit any crime, I suppose he thought it would be funny to scare a bunch of young lads. Stupid old idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Never thought of that actually. But to be fair he didn't commit any crime, I suppose he thought it would be funny to scare a bunch of young lads. Stupid old idiot.
    He threatened them with what they thought was an offensive weapon, that has to be a crime lol ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

1) Young lads should have ignored the old lad. But, iv been guilty of shouting at one and being chased with a crutch (Good runner to, even without using the crutch :P)

2) Fair play to him for running away - if he didnt know it was real, he could have been shot on the way out.. Cant see why the rest didnt do anything..

3) That individual young lad completely lost the head. Needs anger management.

4) Breakfast in supermacs? Christ, its like eating rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Eh...

He committed several crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sully wrote: »
    2) Fair play to him for running away - if he didnt know it was real, he could have been shot on the way out.. Cant see why the rest didnt do anything..
    They all legged it out, not just the one guy.
    3) That individual young lad completely lost the head. Needs anger management.
    I dunno, I completely understood why he lost it. For all he knew the gun was real and he was about to be shot. I think he was well within his rights to hit the guy.
    4) Breakfast in supermacs? Christ, its like eating rubber.

As I said, wasn't too bad! Although I was pretty hungry and facing a 3 hour journey :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If someone pulled a gun on me, id **** it. If I realised it was fake, I wouldnt have a big hissy fit and start picking up chairs or trying to do wrestling moves on the guy.

Id pick up the phone, ask for a cowboy garda, and walk out the door knowing im still alive. I may or may not, depending on my rage level, hit him. However, I dont normally use violence unless REALLY pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If someone pulled a gun on me, id **** it. If I realised it was fake, I wouldnt have a big hissy fit and start picking up chairs or trying to do wrestling moves on the guy.

Id pick up the phone, ask for a cowboy garda, and walk out the door knowing im still alive. I may or may not, depending on my rage level, hit him. However, I dont normally use violence unless REALLY pissed off.

Obviously you don't understand anything about adrenaline.

Obviously you don't understand anything about adrenaline.

Obviously you dont understand anything about controlling anger, even in the worst situations.

Obviously you dont understand anything about controlling anger, even in the worst situations.

Doesn't work like that. Wait until something like it happens to you.

So your telling me, that if I picked 10 people and pointed a gun at them - they would start roaring at me, shouting abuse, threating me, and then pick up a chair to beat the lard out of me.

Suuuuure.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you then told them it was a fake and u were just scaring the living sh!t out of them for the craic, I'd say they'd fairly lose the rag alright!! I know I would!!:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I got into a taxi in swords once, sat in the front seat, and turned round to him to tell him where I wanted to go, and I see, what looks to me like a small walther ppk(im familiar with guns), and he says "Does this look real to you?". To which I reply a mumbled answer sounding like mwahh-huh? And he continues, "some kid left it behind, but it looks really realistic, its even got a clip the comes out at the bottom. Now where are you off to?" I spent a minute to remember where I was going and off we went. It was a jarring experience, but i didnt scream and shout and fling chairs around. With time I got annoyed, but I got over it. At least I know what my reaction would be if someone pulled a gun on me.

So your telling me, that if I picked 10 people and pointed a gun at them - they would start roaring at me, shouting abuse, threating me, and then pick up a chair to beat the lard out of me.

Suuuuure.

Pfft! The lad in the story obviously found out the gun was fake and thats why he ran
    after the crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

syklops wrote: »
    I got into a taxi in swords once, sat in the front seat, and turned round to him to tell him where I wanted to go, and I see, what looks to me like a small walther ppk(im familiar with guns), and he says "Does this look real to you?". To which I reply a mumbled answer sounding like mwahh-huh? And he continues, "some kid left it behind, but it looks really realistic, its even got a clip the comes out at the bottom. Now where are you off to?" I spent a minute to remember where I was going and off we went. It was a jarring experience, but i didnt scream and shout and fling chairs around. With time I got annoyed, but I got over it. At least I know what my reaction would be if someone pulled a gun on me.

Not the same. And.. are you actually trying to prove you're somehow better than the younger guy who went mad? Seems that way.

I don't think he should be critized. The old crazy guy should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 m3boy

all guns in ireland require a licene and im not just talking about the ones that fire, even if its a replica or a disabled firearms you must have a licence, my house was raided and my c .45 conviscated even though it had been temporarly deactivated, i was brougt to court, i would have faced very big peneltys only for i had proof of applying for a licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The guys reaction is perfectly acceptable. Imagine one second thinking your about to be killed, and the next finding out some idiot was just doing it for a kick.

Advertisement