Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dining in Dublin City

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Lots and lots of requests for good food in Dublin City and the surrounding areas.

I thought I would post up a few of my favorites including value, they are not necessarily in order of preference. I suggest googling for addresses and phone numbers.

Anyone with any suggestions, please join in.

Here is one of the best websites for food in Dublin

www.menupages.ie

Montys of Katmandu - Excellent food, very unusual, consistent and great value, wine is fine, very cheap.

SABA - Brilliant, great atmosphere Thai/Vietnamese food, really really good cocktails. Good value.

Ho-Sen - Great place, not as bling as SABA, but excellent Vietnamese cuisine. Try the Cava, good value.

Kinara - Not exactly in town, but in Clontarf. Pakistani food, amazing but pricey. (I believe they have opened one under a different name in Raheny)

Chapter one - Fine Dining. The Pre-Theatre menu is great great value. Amazing food. Expect to book ages in advance.

Peploes - A favorite of mine, proper French cuisine. A tad pricey, but nice for something special.

Chez Max - Dublins best French Bistro.

Elephant and Castle - The wings are the best in the country.

Venu - Good atmosphere, good food, great cocktails

Town Bar and Grill - Mixed reviews on this on, I liked it.

Fallon and Byrne - Nice, a tad overpriced, but good food.

The Port House - Another one with mixed reviews but I love it, great Tapas, decent wine.

Aqua - Again, out of town, on the Dart route in Howth. Very pricey, but the early menu is excellent.

Market Bar - Great tapas, large portions (for tapas) very noisy, not intimate.

Gotham - Great for lunches.

Bang - Fantastic Irish cuisine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

thanks for that link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some good choices there but I suppose ones I disagree with your view on:

Peploes - I don't think it's that expensive, you can certainly go that way but e10.50-e12 for a main course at lunch is what you'd pay in most places for inferior food.

Dublins best French Bistro I would have said is L'Gueleton (sp?) behind Hogans

Elephant and Castle - is generally overrated

Fallon and Byrne - I hated upstairs, rubbish food but downstairs is supposed to be more relaxed and better options.

Bang has been appallingly bad the last three times I was there. Staff have become increasingly rude too.

Others to note:
    L'Ecrivain - was my favourite restaurant for ages but in its quest for two Michelin stars has taken its eye off the food. Going for a "celebrity" maitre d' (your man who was in Hell's Kitchen with Marco Pierre White) was a much too obvious attempt to gain more kudos. Best sommelier in Dublin though, she's great. Very conscious of your budget as well if you let her know.

Guilbauds - I refused to eat here for years because it's up its own arse but the beef is really good even though the service is way too fussy

Pearl Brasserie, Merrion Row - great food, nice dining room now it's been done up

Ely, Ely Place - infuriatingly inconsistent. Ate there yesterday and their organic beef pie was a case of would you like some beef with your fat

Cafe Bar Deli - mecca for people who think it's good value. I got food poisoning from prawns at their Georges street branch

Sixty6: Overrated I think, strange how their homemade breads taste exactly the same as the La Boulangerie breads you can buy in Dunnes across the Road

Eden - great place for a boozy Friday lunch but can sometimes lack atmosphere and can be very cold in winter. Outdoor terrace is great in the summer if there's no junkies around. Food is good and they make great Bellinis

Il Posto - only ate there once and it was a couple of years ago but food was excellent

Mermaid Cafe - I like this place albeit the dining room style isn't for everyone. They usually have great steaks.

The Winding Stair - have never heard a complaint about the place

Shanahans - overrated I think and most definitely overpriced. If you can make it through a starter and main course the Oreo cheescake will finish you off. It's massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Cheers Jdivision, hadn't been to Bang in a while, agreed about Elephant, the wings are a winner though. Le Gueuleton is fantastic, but I prefer Chez Max.

Thanks for the rest of those recomendations, I can back up the Winding Stair, fantastic place to eat. Couldn't agree more with you about L'Ecrivian and P. Guilbauds!! Excellent (and funny) observations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Don't forget Harrys on Dawson St. Been in a few times and really enjoyed it. Then there's the Dawson Lounge across the road for a few pints after.....perfect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd pop Gruel in there Lightening. Simple, seasonal and earthy food and un-fussed wine in ordinary tumblers. Inexpensive and considerate. (Handy too if Chez Max is full).

Rick's burgers. Fiver for a quality burger in the hand.

Il Pomo D'oro for simple authentic Italian cuisine and service.

Devitt's (camden st.)for best ham and cheese toastie and a pot of tea.

Bad Ass for treating the kid.(Crayons for the little one, pint of beer and a moments peace for the dad).

Boyer's on Talbot st. for an old style sausage, egg and chips experience.

Bruxelles for a big bowl of fresh muscles and somewhere to meet the gang or rest the shopping bags.

Cake Cafe on Camden st. for lunch. A little place doing things differently.

Odessa for a boozy Sunday brunch. Bloody Mary's, decent food and More Bloody Marys.

Davy Byrnes straight forward small snack seafood dishes, pint of plain, crossword and a spot of MILF watching.

Hot fatty, sugary donuts from the kiosk on O'Connell st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

i love toscana on dame street across from city hall, its so tastly and resonable, menupages is a great webpage, never eat out without checking it out

hdunne wrote: »
    i love toscana on dame street across from city hall, its so tastly and resonable, menupages is a great webpage, never eat out without checking it out

Ate there once and I'm afraid never again. Appallingly bad pizzas, fairly poor pasta in my experience.

JDivision is a fairly ruthless critic. I love it. I'm too soft. Have you tied Koh? Heading there myself on Saturday.

http://www.koh.ie

I will let you know on Sunday....

Yes had lunch there, was good. I like the room but the little alcove place is a bit too cramped, not enough space between the table and the chairs. I've heard the queues to be seated can be a nightmare so beware of that, staff not very clued in by all accounts. Restaurant critic i know (the real kind) was left waiting for an hour and it wasn't that busy or so he said!

One other place i haven't mentioned is Town Bar & Grill, hard to get a booking in the evenings, but nice room and food is usually very good. Get a steak, the ribeye in particular is really good but be aware they cook everything a bit rarer than normal. Staff can be hit and miss to put it mildly.

Went on Friday night, there was four of us and we liked it. I'm pretty compact, thought the alcove was fine (for me). I asked the waiter which was the better starter, the oysters or the mussels, he bought me a combo of both! Happy days.

Had the special (halibut) and it was the best dish of the lot. Others had soft shell crab, baby ribs, some chicken stir fry dish.

Great value and nice wine. Go early and have a few cocktails at the bar, this will boost up the bill though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement