Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Hunting Poll

Options
  • 28-01-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Just got a text telling me there is a hunting poll on Irish Times on-line.

Cant seem to find it? Only Poll I can find is about high-rise developments in Dublin:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Maybe its a house hunting poll :D

Link to the "Debate"
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/opinion/2008/0128/1201301321169.html

Link to the Poll
    http://www.ireland.com/head2head/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Might it be an idea for anyone planning to vote in this poll (NO!, I hope), that you copy the link from here and paste it into another browser window?

This will prevent the Shooting board from showing up as the 'linked from' site on the poll's server, thus removing the anti's 'orchestrated campaign' excuse when the poll goes against them.

Here's a plain text version of the link, copy'npaste into another browser window-
    [noparse]http://www.ireland.com/head2head/[/noparse]

edited to add-
    It would appear that, in the grand tradition of Irish polls, it's possible to vote 'Early & Often' on this poll.
    No that I would advocate such a thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Good thinking Rovi

Here is a re-direct, it'll take you to the poll by way of Tiny-Url
    http://tiny.cc/nXugn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Running at 71% no, 29% yes at the moment.

Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,280 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think its horseback hunting only.
    That an assault on Ireland's favourite mammal is carried out for entertainment makes fox-hunting especially despicable
    I actually laughed at that part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Now at 76/24

This quote:
    However, the idea of the fox as an agricultural threat has long been dispelled. Both the Department of Agriculture and the National Parks and Wildlife Service concur, for example, that foxes play no significant role, if any, in lamb mortality.

Is total bull. The Dept. say no such thing and the reference is to a thesis done in 1991 based on a survey in 1984 which only included lowland farms when the majority of predation takes place in upland areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

What rrpc? Are you saying that the antis would stoop so low as to misdirect us with a compilation of information to make their point valid??:rolleyes:

cough"sarcasm"cough:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Wouldn't let me read the comments on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

80%/20% now.

Yeah, how are you guys reading the comments?
    Do you have to actually leave a comment of your own before you can see the others, or a do you need to pay the subscription fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

83% against a ban at the moment, that'll be a nice statistic to be able to quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It'll be a meaningless statistic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    It'll be a meaningless statistic though.

Meaningless politicans believe them though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

how do i vote if i shoot foxes, but think the horeback/hound thing is a load of bollox?

revan23 wrote: »
    how do i vote if i shoot foxes, but think the horeback/hound thing is a load of bollox?

Vote for no ban on horse and hounds or shooting will be next :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

75/25 now. The antis are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

BryanL wrote: »
    83% against a ban at the moment, that'll be a nice statistic to be able to quote.

A few links in animal friendly forums will soon stop that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I bet the computers at ICABS and Gormleys office are running hot tonight.

Its dropping fast, now its 72% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

DonJose ar eyou looking for a fight or just some vague social encounter?

go sod off and stop trying to antagonise people

I'm sure even someone like you has somehting better to do

DonJose wrote: »
    A few links in animal friendly forums will soon stop that ;)

Bad post reported to Mod

• Advertisement

Thats 62% and falling!!!
    maglite wrote: »
    go sod off and stop trying to antagonise people

Sod off yourself ;)

Don't feed trolls :mad:

Checked his recent posts he's been posting on other sites advising them that it's on our site and we're voting, he's pushing for ban vote and seems to be a troll !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

feed him some foxs ;):p

60/40 against now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anyone actually spend any time on the ICABS website itself? It's a bit... awe-inspiring... That people involved in this organisation run the country chills the blood a little. It's just shockingly ill-informed at the very least. What I would like to know is, if they're just disseminating misinformation, and the way they pick their false facts suggests that this is the case, why do they keep doing it when in discovering their information, they've also come to realise that it's false? I just don't get it, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ICABS are rather dodgy, to be honest. Any group who'll attempt to get a woman fired for sending an email in support of the ward union to her local TD is distinctly not a group that ought to be supported, regardless of their aims.

Sparks wrote: »
    ICABS are rather dodgy, to be honest. Any group who'll attempt to get a woman fired for sending an email in support of the ward union to her local TD is distinctly not a group that ought to be supported, regardless of their aims.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I actually look at the "opositions" websites a lot, "know thy enemy etc"

They appear to be very, very, very highly strung people. They need to chill, relax, calm their jets. There is no middle ground??

How about a compromise to stag/fox hunting:

Chase the fox/stag with the hounds into a line of guns (Sunday fox drive a la cheveaux

Chase the fox/stag to within 300 meters dismount dispatch with 223 (fox hunting a la buffalo bill)

The so called ripping apart doesn't come into it, fox population contolled a compromise all happy.....:D;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Whatever about being dodgy, but how do they manage to continue with their vitriol when they know it's all bull?

Also, anyone else find it hilarious that they have a problem with mink hunting? Not big duck fans then I guess. :p

What I have a major problem with is the alarmist, emotive language they tend to use in their statements and arguments. If I wanted to be made weep, I'd go to a friggin' opera. Keep the politics political, thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

http://www.ireland.com/head2head/

The fox is making for cover:D:D

Did we all notify it to our vested interests??;)

Advertisement