Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer of Choice?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

As men who clearly love beer I'm interested in your input.

I like Tiger beer, Okochim and Zywiec.

Given the choice of any beer in the world... what would you have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Hmmm, like Tigger, Moosehead, Molsen, proper heineken (not the brewed under licence) and some of the Porter House ones.

Love Dinkel Acker Privat, Sanwald Heiffeweisen and Bitburger Pils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wow, this is a very mood and place dependent question.

Tyskie, Becks Vier for the lager. If neither is available, I'd go for Heineken, but never in bottles, the smell of bottled Heinieken makes me gag.

Large Bottle of Gionness, off the Shelf, is lovely.

Pint of Smithwicks with a Guinness Head. Creamy goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Carlesberg or Miller generally.

If I can get it Pilsner Urquell. Mmmm Pilsner Urquell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Carlsburg, Heineken, Fosters, Tuborg etc...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Miller is usually the brew of choice, but where it's served I like Hoegarden as well. Tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Agree with Des on this one, Heinekin normally, but had a six pack of Tiger the other night as a little treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Anything under 2.38 a litre tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Anchor Steam Beer, Goose Island IPA or Hobgoblin. All quite different and delicious in their own way!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

I am horrified at the preponderance of yellow, fizzy water varieties in this thread so far. Carlsberg?! BUL Heineken?! Fosters???!!!!!

Iffen yiz're gonna drink lager lads, would yiz not at least drink Zywiec or even Budvar?

Ok, that's unfair of me, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with lager, but I wouldn't even call Fosters lager!

And ye call ye'reselves men ;)

Me, I can't pick a favourite. But if I could have any beer in the world (that I've already tried), it'd be Stone Ruination IPA. But you can't get that here. Here, Galway Hooker on draught or Goose Island IPA in a bottle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Schnider Weisse or Franziskaner at the mo. Guinness is also good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

microgirl wrote: »
    I am horrified at the preponderance of yellow, fizzy water varieties in this thread so far. Carlsberg?! BUL Heineken?! Fosters???!!!!!
    Meh. At least nobody mentioned the "B" word.

Heineken ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Thing is with the "fizzy yellow water" varieties like Heineken and Carlsberg etc. the varieties we consume in Ireland are brewed under licence and are not the proper version. Try a Heineken with Imported on the label and see the difference.

As for Fosters and Budw**** bleargh!!!! An affront to the term lager!!!

Also I don't understand why has that bud muck got weiser in the name. It's not even close to being a weissebier!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

smashey wrote: »
    Meh. At least nobody mentioned the "B" word.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I am very Partial to both Guinness and Murphys. I also enjoy German imports from time to time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Don1 wrote: »
    Thing is with the "fizzy yellow water" varieties like Heineken and Carlsberg etc. the varieties we consume in Ireland are brewed under licence and are not the proper version. Try a Heineken with Imported on the label and see the difference.

As for Fosters and Budw**** bleargh!!!! An affront to the term lager!!!

Also I don't understand why has that bud muck got weiser in the name. It's not even close to being a weissebier!!! :confused:
    Students like the cheaper the better :D, Also Carlsburg/Heineken are actually very nice pints? Cans aswell... I wouldnt touch Bud but those 2 drinks are good, Tuborg and Fosters are cheap and decent... :D

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hoegaarden. Freakin' love the stuff. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I really miss good ales like Greene King IPA and Adnams, but a good pint of Smithwick's in an old man's pub can still hit the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

cant beat a good pint of guiness, can be hard to find though! i like Krombacher, Spaten, Francis Karner.....sometimes even the odd pint of carlsberg

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don1 wrote: »

Nothing to do with weissbier. The style of beer it's supposed to be imitating is from České Budějovice in the Czech Republic, or as the Germans call the town, Budweis.

Staropramen is what I drink at home. I was in the Bull & Castle for the first time last week and was delighted to find it on draught there. Other home favourites would be Budvar, Spaten and Anchor Steam. When I'm out it's a pint of Heineken, you usually end up with warm bottles of the likes of Budvar after early evening in most pubs, which puts me off ordering that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

spirit store in dundalk also has Staropramen. Nice alternative to the guinness or Erdinger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ArmedResponse

nothing better than an aul 10 bottle crate of miller!

Definitly the nicest beer!

After that its a tie between heiniken and guiness!

Staropramen on tap in The Cornerstone too.

I enjoyed a few pints last weekend in there :)

nothing better than an aul 10 bottle crate of miller!

Definitly the nicest beer!

You're new to beer drinking then, are you? :D

Actually, Miller ain't too bad in bottles tbh.

Wouldn't be my first choice though.

Can't stomach the stuff, I'd put it in the same category as that other Yank "beer".

Zaph wrote: »
    Can't stomach the stuff, I'd put it in the same category as that other Yank "beer".

Ah come off it Brother Zaph!

< that is the standard for acceptableness

| Miller is about here

|Bud is here

I'm just not prepared to go that far below the minimum standard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Generally Erdinger, or failing that Stella or Guiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ArmedResponse

Zaph wrote: »
    You're new to beer drinking then, are you? :D

I meant to warm up!:D

I think we all should be able to agree that fosters shouldnt be classed as a beer but rather as bottled piss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ive never had it before so I wont question your judgement, but why is Bud looked unfavourably on in these quarters?

Myself, a nice bottle of Hobgoblin will do me the finest. Or a pint of Guinness, but Im very fussy and it must be poured perfectly.

Advertisement