Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you report posts?

• 05-02-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Just wondering if any of you ever report posts?

And if you do, what generally is the reason?

I think in my time here i reported a post once.

Why? I was having my period and misunderstood the context of what was said.

I'd imagine some ppl are serial post reporters, do you feel moderators wont see a questionable post or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

One word: Too Lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I reported one in feedback where someone implied he was living in hope that another poster would get her throat slit, just cos it was pure f*cking evil. Apart from that not usually.

Usually it's just spam that bugs me but the mods always get it pretty quick so I don't report it, no point in bugging them about something they've probably already noticed before I did

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes I report posts. The button is there for a reason so why not use it. I use it when I feel a post deserves moderator attention. Sometimes a mod can miss over a post when reading through a thread. I see it as a way of helping keep the forums running smoothly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, generally report posts all the time. Mostly because they're spam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, too many to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I think it's far more rewarding to report peoples unauthorised Sigs.
    I came across a poster yesterday whos sig was 7 pixels too high. Can you imagine, like? I quickly notified the authorities.

Kudos for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yeah, generally report posts all the time. Mostly because they're spam though.

Spam as in commercial spam, or spam as in wtf is that guy thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Only if it really really deserved it, like the one that orestes reported. That's just unnecessary. Otherwise I'd feel it's a bit like running to the teacher.

Never reported a post.
    Also it did take me year to figure out where the button was.

Actually I'd also be eternally grateful if someone could explain how to use multi quote.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    I think it's far more rewarding to report peoples unauthorised Sigs.
    I came across a poster yesterday whos sig was 7 pixels too high. Can you imagine, like? I quickly notified the authorities.

Kudos for me

Kudos! *high 5*

Those bastards will ruin the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah I report them now but only if it's glaringly obvious.

Poll?

Moonbaby wrote: »

Yea.. thats what he said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

snyper wrote: »
    Spam as in commercial spam, or spam as in wtf is that guy thinking?
    Commercial spam.
    You'd be amazed at the amount of crap that's posted here in the guise of a great deal.

When I'm using a decent pc, I read all the posts on AH.
    At the moment I'm using a crappy one that's pretty much like using dial-up even though I'm on a 3mb line and I rely on reported posts, so that I can clean up the crap, move stuff and ban people.

Yea.. thats what he said ;)

more like
    Dun laoire wrote: »
    One word: Too Lazy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Never reported a post.

Actually I'd also be eternally grateful if someone could explain how to use multi quote.
    Click the multi-quote button (between the quote button and the quick reply button).
    When you have clicked on all the posts you want to quote, click on the post reply button (bottom of the last post on the page/thread). This will open the full reply option and then you can reply to each quote individually.

I hope I explained that clearly.

The report post button is this one.
    If you want to report a post, just click it, give a brief explanation of why you are reporting the post and then hit submit.
    I get notifications immediately and deal with them ASAP.
    There is usually always an AH mod on-line to deal with reported posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Got banned because someone reported a post where I called Bertie Ahern a "twat". The mod banned me and, when i questioned it via pm he told me I was reported and he banned it without reading the thread. When i questioned that, he said it was "personal abuse". He said to pm him in a week to get back, but needless to say I didn't bother my h@le. I have better things to be at than pleading for clemency from coniving posters with a FF fetish and mods who ban people over such an innoculous comment, appently without reading it.
    So no, I don't report posts as too many people make a pastime out of trying to get people into sh1t with mods and if i don't think a comment is worth debating or commenting on, I ignore it.

Yes.

Terry wrote: »
    Click the multi-quote button (between the quote button and the quick reply button).
    When you have clicked on all the posts you want to quote, click on the post reply button (bottom of the last post on the page/thread). This will open the full reply option and then you can reply to each quote individually.

Your a star Terry :)

I hope I explained that clearly.

The report post button is this one.
    If you want to report a post, just click it, give a brief explanation of why you are reporting the post and then hit submit.
    I get notifications immediately and deal with them ASAP.
    There is usually always an AH mod on-line to deal with reported posts.
    Ok. Here's a chance to test it.

I'll give a half hour window.
    If you want to report a post, but are unsure of how to do it, report this one.

Abuse of this will lead to a permanent ban from AH.
    You can't really mess it up. It's pretty much the same as replying to a post, so I won't accept 'oh. I made a mistake' as an excuse.
    You know Amp's idiot filter thread? This will work along the same lines.
    You have half an hour from the time this post is submitted. After that, prepare to be banned permanently. I'm sorry that I have to say all that, but there are dicks who will abuse it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I only report people for being a twat.
    Well.... I only report people other than me for being a twat. Its no fun reportng yourself.
    That and any kind of racism and I just see red, and when I wake up in the morning my shirt is ripped to pieces and my boards.ie background has mysteriously changed overnight into an angry green colour.

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    Got banned because someone reported a post where I called Bertie Ahern a "twat". The mod banned me and, when i questioned it via pm he told me I was reported and he banned it without reading the thread. When i questioned that, he said it was "personal abuse". He said to pm him in a week to get back, but needless to say I didn't bother my h@le. I have better things to be at than pleading for clemency from coniving posters with a FF fetish and mods who ban people over such an innoculous comment, appently without reading it.
    So no, I don't report posts as too many people make a pastime out of trying to get people into sh1t with mods and if i don't think a comment is worth debating or commenting on, I ignore it.
    When a mod asks you to PM them in a week, they are just asking you to remind them to lift the ban. They are not asking you to beg for anything.
    We ban a lot of people and tend to forget who was banned and when they were banned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm still banned from pet issues. I think I made a crude joke subtly suggesting besiality was soon to take place. The mod told me to remind him in a week but I never PM'd him because I am too weak. To be honest, If I am ever unbanned from pet issues, the thrill of making a crude allusion to bestiality yet again would be too much for me to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think in my time here i reported a post once.
    You've reported 6 posts.

Gordon wrote: »
    You've reported 6 posts.

Ah ok.. 6 in 2 years would make me a serial "reporter"

@ terry: if you mod in the giving up smoKing foru,, how can you test the reporting in AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭rigormortis

One should never tout.

Ah ok.. 6 in 2 years would make me a serial "reporter"

@ terry: if you mod in the giving up smoKing foru,, how can you test the reporting in AH?
    Ahem.

<<<<<<<<<<<

i was reported many times whenn i started here first, particularly for posting offensive jokes, which led me getting access to lolocast.

I was reported and banned from the LL, a member was asking about how similar we are to our parents and she asked if "you see yourself in your mother"

I replied stating that i try not to picture myself in my mother.

Ban was warrented i suppose.

Ahem.

<<<<<<<<<<<

lol.. doooooooooh!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i was reported many times whenn i started here first, particularly for posting offensive jokes, which led me getting access to lolocast.

I remember that. It was a funny week or so in the reported posts forum.

• Advertisement

So one reported post came in. Requesting that I be banned, no less.
    Hmm. Should I ban that person for abuse of my generous offer?
    After all, they have reported posts before.

I'll see how the next 6 or 7 minutes pan out.

Advertisement