Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panasonic 2008 Viera TV for Ireland

• 15-02-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Just back from trade show in Spain,

Usual story, different model numbers for Ireland/UK and some UK models not being made for Ireland. (can still be used but won't have the UHF/VHF analogue tuners)

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON PRICES!!! Ball park figures at this stage

all TVs feature Viera Link

First off, Plasma (UK model number in brackets)

4 different ranges

Starting with the best,

PY80 (PZ80)
    available in 42" €1699 / 50" €2649 from May
    FULL 1080p
    VReal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    30,000:1 contrast ratio
    up to 100,000 hours panel life
    3 HDMI, 2 Scart, PC
    24p compatible
    V-Audio
    SD card reader for pictures only
    x.v.Colour
    Eco mode

PY8 (NO UK equivalent)
    42" 1599 / 46" €1999 May
    FULL 1080p
    VReal Pro 2 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    20,000:1 contrast ratio
    2 HDMI, 2 Scart, PC
    24p compatible
    V-Audio
    x.v.Colour
    Eco mode

PV80 (PX80)
    37" €1199 / 42" €1299 march/april
    HD Ready (1080p compatible)
    VReal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    15,000:1 contrast ratio
    3 HDMI, 2 Scart, PC
    V-Audio
    24p compatible
    SD card reader for pictures only

PV8 (No UK equivalent)
    42" €1199 march/april
    HD Ready (1080p compatible)
    VReal Pro 2 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    10,000:1 contrast ratio
    V-Audio
    2 HDMI, 2 Scart, PC
    24p compatible

LCD

LZ85 (LZD85) april
    37" €1599 / 32" €1299
    178 degree viewing angle (H & V)
    full 1080p (1920 X 1080) resolution
    VReal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ motion picture pro 2
    x.v.Colour
    24p
    SDHC card for pictures only
    3 hdmi, 2 scart, pc

LZ80 (LZD80)
    37" €1499 / 32" €1199 march/april
    full 1080p (1920 X 1080) resolution
    VReal Pro 3 engine
    x.v.Colour
    24p
    SDHC card for pictures only
    3 hdmi, 2 scart, pc

LX85 (LXD85) may
    37" €1249 / 32" €999
    hd ready (1366 X 768) resolution
    VReal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ motion picture pro
    24p
    SDHC card reader for pictures only
    3 hdmi, 2 scart, pc

LX80 (LXD80)
    32" €849 / 26" €749 april
    178 degree viewing angle (H)
    VReal 3 engine
    4,000:1 contrast ratio
    2 hdmi, 2 scart, pc

LE8 (LXD8)
    32" €749 26" €649 april
    178 degree viewing angle (H)
    VReal 3 engine
    4,000:1 contrast ratio
    2 hdmi, 2 scart

UK Models available WITHOUT tuners (no prices yet)

PZ800
    42/50 june 58/65 september
    1080p
    Vreal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    Intelligent frame Creation
    30,000:1 contrast
    100,000 hours panel life
    4 HDMI, 2 scart, pc
    24p
    V-Audio surround
    SDHC Reader for picture & AVCHD video
    x.v.Colour
    Deep Colour
    Digital Cinema Colour
    Eco Mode

PZ85
    42/46 april
    1080p
    Vreal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    Intelligent frame Creation
    100,000 hours panel life
    3 HDMI, 2 scart, pc
    24p
    V-Audio surround
    SDHC Reader for pictures only
    x.v.Colour
    Deep Colour
    Eco Mode

PZ81
    42 july 46/50 august
    1080p
    Vreal Pro 3 engine
    100HZ double scanning
    100,000 hours panel life
    3 HDMI, 2 scart, pc
    FREESAT tuner (this thing is feckin savage http://www.freesat.co.uk/home.php)
    24p
    V-Audio
    SDHC Reader for pictures
    x.v.Colour
    Deep Colour
    Eco Mode

also....

that new final profile blu ray DMP-BD30 will be €499 and will be available March/April

a few new DVD recorders, one with a 400GB hard drive

a 3.1 blu ray home cinema system with an ipod DOCK built on the front. extra wireless speakers available for 5.1/7.1

most of the new home cinema systems feature that built in iPod Dock. it flips out from the front.

they also have a new HOME AV cabinet (TV stand with built in amp/speakers)

few lovely new digital cameras, TZ5 & FX35. both shoot 720p video as well as 10+ megapixel. and fx35 has and even wider lens, 25mm.

keep checking www.allianceelectric.ie for more updates on price etc ;)

and yes, they had the 150 incher there as well!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Hi big_moe,

Are these new 2008 Plasma, fully 24p compatible (using 72Hz, 96Hz refresh rate) or still using 3:2 pulldown like the PV, PY70 models.

Everything looks excellent, and prices look excellent if right on PY80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

hi ongarite,

not too sure on the level of 24p, but i'd assume these new ones are fully 24p compatible. details are still a bit scarce at the moment but in the coming weeks i'll have more info.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I have to admit im not a big fan of the PV80 (PX80) look wise from what pictures I have seen online. I think the current PY70 series has a nicer finish. Maybe the Irish/UK versions will differ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭BigFish75

Hey Big Moe,

I was thinking of getting the 50" Kuro but can't stretch to the €5,000 price. Your posting on the new PY80(PZ80) above is very interesting. I'm not in a mad panic and can wait as it sounds like the new PY80 will give me most of what the Kuro offers at just over half the price. Do you have a firm delivery date and if so what would the best price be if I paid for it now? I don't need the stand as I want to wall mount it and if the speakers are optional I can do without them as I have 5.1 surround already in place for my existing Samsung LCD.

BTW is there really a new "Pro 3" engine in the new model?

PM me!!

Big Moe,

One more quick question. Are you guys going to be stocking the 65 inch TH-65PZ850as summarised here http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/01/panasonic_viera_th46pz850_th50.html?

Sounds amazing!! Any idea of price?

• Advertisement

BigFish75 wrote: »
    Big Moe,

One more quick question. Are you guys going to be stocking the 65 inch TH-65PZ850as summarised here http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/01/panasonic_viera_th46pz850_th50.html?

Sounds amazing!! Any idea of price?

they will be UK only models called the PZ800, we will have them though, just with UK tuners.. no problems if you have sky/nlt digital etc.

i'll get back to you about your other request. and yes, they do have a new processing engine in them

Big Moe,

Am seriously interested in pricing and availability for both the PY80 and PZ800 if you can supply it. I have standard NTL digital so that should be fine for the PZ800 as I won't need the internal tuner.

Come back to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Big Moe,

I assume the 65" Big Fish is talking about is going to be mega expensive and more than twice the price of the PY80?

If you do have pricing and availability for the new PY80 please pass it onto me also. As you know I've wired my renovated living room for a decent set up which I will be purchasing soon but could wait a few weeks if the new PY80 will be available soon.

Anything to get the most out of my budget!!

i'll let the both of you know in the next few days

The official NDA is up this weekend AFAIK so I presume all the info for UK, Ireland will be out next week.

• Advertisement

NDA is over, official details here:
    Full HD models (1920x1080).
    PZ800 Series: TH-50PZ800B, TH-42PZ800B
    PZ85 Series: TH-46PZ85B, TH-42PZ85B
    PZ80 Series: TH-50PZ80B, TH-46PZ80B, TH-42PZ80B

HD Ready Models
    PX80 Series: TH-42PX80B, TH-37PX80B
    PX8 Series: TH-50PX8B, TH-42PX8B, TH-37PX8B

Panasonic's Line-Up of VIERA Flat-Panel TVs
    Takes a Step Forward in 2008

– Superior Reproduction of Fast-Moving Images, Easy Operation and Eco-Friendliness –

Panasonic recently announced the launch of its VIERA series of plasma and LCD TVs for 2008. This year's line-up of VIERA flat-panel TVs has been greatly strengthened. A new 46-inch plasma TV has been added to further reinforce the full-HD range. And the addition of a 100Hz double speed LCD TV rounds out the line-up with high-quality images and extra versatility.
    The line-up also comes with four pillars of the Viera concept: impressive picture quality, easy operation, brilliant sound and environmental consciousness. In addition, these superior performance features are moulded into stunning designs to form one of the most attractive TV series ever.

Impressive Picture Quality
    The new VIERA models reproduce fast-moving images with outstanding sharpness. Their wide-ranging colour reproduction lends rich expression to movie colours, whilst their high contrast ratios create deep, life-like blacks. Picture quality at this level stirs the emotions and adds to the excitement of watching athletes in heated competition, breathtaking multi-coloured sunsets, or vibrantly colourful resorts and other landscapes.

Easy Operation
    In addition to brilliant picture quality, VIERA models offer the easy operation made possible by VIERA Link and the SD card slot1. VIERA Link lets you operate other connected Panasonic AV components using only the VIERA TV's remote control unit. The majority of the VIERA line-up is equipped with a slot for large-capacity SDHC cards. Remove the SD memory card from your digital still camera, slip it in the slot, and you can view a slideshow of your photos on VIERA's big, beautiful screen. In addition, PZ800 series models support the next-generation AVCHD-standard for full-HD moving images, which lets users directly enjoy high-quality full-HD moving pictures with the convenience of a cordless system.

Environmentally Conscious Products
    Environmental consideration starts with the design stage, because Panasonic cares about the future of our earth. Lead-free plasma panels and an improved panel life of up to 100,000-hours are examples of how VIERA production helps to conserve the earth and its resources. What’s more, functions now include a new ECO mode to help lower power consumption.

VIERA TV technologies bring higher levels of quality, versatility and enjoyment to home entertainment in the strongest flat-panel display line-up ever. Users will find attractive enhancements in each plasma and LCD TV offered by Panasonic in 2008. In terms of both features and performance, this impressive new line-up reflects Panasonic's quest to continually improve viewing quality, networking and environmentally conscious manufacturing.

V-real 3 and V-real PRO 3 Technology
    "V-real" is the collective name for Panasonic's black-box imaging technologies, which have now evolved into the V-real 3 and V-real PRO 3 of the 2008 VIERA models. In the process, we redesigned every V-real device. We combined technologies that were originally developed to produce the HD camcorders that relay the excitement of the Olympic Games with technologies that were created by the Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory (PHL) for moviemaking. Image quality was scrutinized from every angle to give VIERA its deeply moving impact.

VIERA V-real 3 /V-real PRO 3 Processor
    This key device processes the video signal it receives, outputting an extremely high-quality signal that helps create the beautiful, high-definition images that distinguish VIERA.

VIERA V-real 3 /V-real PRO 3 Driver
    Our high-performance driver controls the drive power to optimize panel performance. The resulting images show every motion clearly and express each step of gradation in delicate detail.

VIERA Plasma G11 HD/G11 Full-HD Panel
    The full-HD panel (1920 x 1080 resolution) directly displays the 1080p images that are processed by the video circuit to ensure highly detailed 1080p images.

IMPRESSIVE PICTURE QUALITY: Superb Moving Picture Resolution

Excellent moving-picture resolution and smooth playback
    Intelligent Frame Creation
    A still image with 1080 lines resolution always looks brilliant when displayed on a large screen, but as soon as the picture starts to move, the picture resolution can decrease to a minimum of 300 lines. By using Intelligent Frame Creation, Viera PDP accomplishes over 900 lines of moving picture resolution.

Intelligent Frame Creation increases the frame count and allows natural, frame-to-frame transitions, for smooth motion images with high resolution.
     *Only PZ800, PZ85 Series

Flicker-less, easy-to-see images
    100Hz Double ScanA Plasma TV driven at 50Hz can cause an annoying flicker due to a shortage in the number of pictures displayed per second. Therefore, each picture is displayed twice as if the Plasma TV is driven at 100Hz Double Scan, i.e., the number of pictures displayed is increased to avoid any flickering.
    * When IFC is operating, 100Hz double scan cannot be used

IMPRESSIVE PICTURE QUALITY: Images with Genuine Blacks

Clear details even in dark scenes
    High Contrast Native 30,000:1 (Dynamic more than 1,000,000:1)
    The new Real Black Drive system (a pre-discharge suppression system) and the improved panel production processes combine to reproduce outstanding blacks with the outstanding contrast. They accurately reproduce scenes, especially those with a delicate balance of light and shadow.
    * Except PX80, PX8 Series

Glare is suppressed for comfortable viewing
     Natural Vision FilterThis advanced filter keeps images sharp, with minimal glare. Whilst dramatically reducing reflections from external light, it helps to produce clear images. This filter creates a pure and wide range of colours, and crisp images.

 IMPRESSIVE PICTURE QUALITY: Crisp, Clear, Real-Life Colours

Images look just like they do at the cinema
    Digital Cinema Colour
    VIERA's wide colour gamut covers 120% of the conventional HDTV colour standard. The result is a level of colour expression that approaches Digital Cinema. This wide gamut also achieves richer, more vivid colouring from x.v.Colour signals.
    * Only PZ800 Series

Colour reproduction exceeding the HDTV standard
    Wide Colour Gamut Panel with x.v.Colour
    VIERA's large colour space covers 110% of the HDTV colour standard. This wide gamut has been achieved by an advanced panel structure and newly developed filter, and also produces richer, more vivid colouring from x.v.Colour signals.
    *Only PZ800, PZ85, PZ/80 Series

Smooth gradation lends natural expression to images
    5,120 Equivalent Steps of Gradation
    A full 5,120 equivalent steps of gradation smoothly expresses each image. Outstanding gradation performance accurately depicts even the tiniest shades of colour in a sunset. It also supports the Deep Colour ( HDMITM V.1.3 ) standard, which is capable of expressing natural colours, to maximize the beautiful images of high-quality image sources.

 *Except PX80, PX8 Series

IMPRESSIVE PICTURE QUALITY: A Cinema-Quality Experience

Smooth Image Reproduction
    24p Real Cinema
    Increasing the number of frames makes the image smoother. This Intelligent Frame Creation function also works for 24p sources. When reproducing a 24p movie source, the 24p Real Cinema function generates smooth motion transition based on the original 24 frames. Models that do not include 24p Real Cinema are equipped with 24p Playback. The 24p Playback function provides film-like images by using pull-down with up to 96Hz.

 *Only PZ800, PZ85 Series

EASY OPERATION

Control everything with the VIERA remote
    Enhanced VIERA Link
    VIERA Link allows interlinked operation of various Panasonic AV devices using only the VIERA remote control, by simply connecting the devices to each other by an HDMI cable. Now enhanced with new features for 2008.

With a DIGA DVD Recorder
    You can immediately start recording a programme that you are watching on TV with a DIGA DVD recorder by using the VIERA remote.
    • Direct TV Rec. lets you quickly and easily record a programme you are currently watching.
    • Pause Live TV lets you pause a programme you are currently watching, and then watch the remainder later.

With a Blu-ray Disc Player
    The graphical user interface (GUI) makes it easy to operate a BD player or a home cinema system that uses a BD player.

With a Home Cinema Sound System
    The entire Home Cinema Sound System can be turned on with a single press of the remote control button for immediate viewing enjoyment.

With an HD Camcorder
    The VIERA remote control displays a control panel on the TV screen for playback, rewind and other camcorder operations.

Easily view photos on a large screen
    HD Photo Viewer
    The HD Photo Viewer provides a new photo viewing experience. Simply insert an SD Memory Card to display photos directly on the large screen. Photos are much more fun when you can view them on a large-screen HDTV with family and friends in 1920 x 1080-pixel high definition.

Easy enjoyment of HD images
    AVCHD Playback
    VIERA lets you enjoy high-resolution, full-HD video with superb motion-image expression and vivid colours. By simply inserting an SD Memory Card into the SD slot of a VIERA TV, full-HD (1920 x 1080) video clips recorded in AVCHD format with a Panasonic HD camcorder will fill the large TV screen.

What's AVCHD?
    AVCHD is a standard developed jointly by Panasonic and Sony for HD Camcorders. Using highly efficient codec technologies, it records 1080i high-definition signals onto media such as 8-cm DVD discs and SD/SDHC Memory Cards. AVCHD allows an HD Camcorder to make long-time recordings of high-density video information onto a DVD disc or SD/SDHC Memory Card.

ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS PRODUCTS

Making products more easily recyclable
    Lead-Free Panel
    Panasonic is making products more friendly to the environment. All VIERA plasma display panels are lead-free. This reduces the impact on the environment when recycling or disposing of them in the future.
    *Only Plasma TV models.

Reducing Use of Lead by 280 Tons per Year
    About 4 million plasma TVs were produced in 2006. Whilst 2006 plasma display panels contained 70 grams of lead, lead-free VIERA models contain 0 grams. This could constitute a reduction of 280 tons of lead per year.

Optimal, waste-free light adjustment
    Eco Mode
    The TV adjusts the picture settings automatically depending on the ambient lighting conditions. The image brightness changes according to the level of room lighting to achieve an energy-saving operation.

Excellent picture quality for longer use
    Long Panel Life, Up to 100,000 Hours
    The VIERA plasma display panels can be used for up to 30 years or more even when viewed for 8 hours a day. Panasonic is working to maximise resources, based on the motto of developing products that maintain high quality for a long time.
    *Only Plasma TV models.

Safe design
    VIERA Tough Panel
    The front glass panel provides high resistance to impacts and scratches. The front of the plasma TV is covered by a glass panel, for extra assurance just in case something hits it. What's more, the protective panel makes cleaning easier too; simply wipe the panel with a soft cloth when necessary.
    *Only Plasma TV models.

Comfortable viewing
    Gentle on the Eyes
    Eye fatigue is suppressed, so both children and adults can watch TV in comfort even when viewing for relatively long periods of time. In a plasma TV, each pixel lights up, and the lighting intensity is adjusted according to the scene. Because of this, the images are not overly bright.

OTHER SPECIAL FEATURES: Picture and Sound Quality

Colour Viewing Angle
    Images have rich, vivid colours when viewed from any position in the room. Because plasma TVs are self-illuminating, the images are beautiful when viewed from any angle. Black areas do not fade, and colours remain almost identical regardless of where the viewer is located. Measured using the index for evaluating colour viewing angle developed by the Advanced PDP Development Center Corporation (APDC). This ensures that you will get high-quality images even in very large living rooms.

Smart Design Sound System
    The newly developed slim speaker unit allows a thinner design whilst maintaining the previous level of high sound quality. Also, by changing the damper of the woofer unit from cloth to rubber, the thickness has been reduced by 15 mm. This has made the entire speaker unit 38.7 mm slimmer.

Digital Optimiser
    A digital noise detection circuit detects the areas and amounts of noise in each scene, and then applies the optimal noise reduction to combat it. All types of images come through noise-free.

Motion Pattern Noise Reduction
    This function clearly reproduces even high-speed motion images by maximizing the superb gradation capability of the plasma TV. Motion Pattern Noise Reduction detects motion patterns that tend to generate noise, and makes the necessary adjustments to maximise image quality.

OTHER SPECIAL FEATURES: User-Friendly Design

Four HDMI InputsFor future expandability and ease of use, VIERA comes equipped with four* HDMI connector slots, one on the front and three on the rear.
    *Only PZ800, LZD800 Series.

PC Input
    VIERA is also equipped with a PC input terminal. For business users, the PC input lets you take advantage of VIERA's big screen and exceptional viewing quality in presentations and training programs.

Remote Control
    The remote control unit is rounded to fit comfortably in your hand. The buttons are large, easy to press, and laid out for optimum ease of use. The buttons also have colours and markings that make them easy for anyone to identify and use.

PRODUCT DESIGN

Design concept: Horizontal Arch
    Creating a flat surface that resembles the surface of water, the 2008 models feature a "one-sheet of glass design."
    Thin, light and wide. Based on these three key words, this design combines functional beauty with formative art to harmonise with virtually any interior space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Ongarite,

I'm seriously confused about the different models and their attributes.

Is there a model comparison chart you can link to showing how the models compare to each other? Other than the screen size designated in the first 2 digits of the model number I can't understand what the difference between the the various "PZ800", "PZ85" and "PZ80" model ranges are i.e.:-

PZ800 Series: TH-50PZ800B, TH-42PZ800B
    PZ85 Series: TH-46PZ85B, TH-42PZ85B
    PZ80 Series: TH-50PZ80B, TH-46PZ80B, TH-42PZ80B

HELP!!

BenEadir,

read my initial post.

it has the main specs of all the different models - the ones available with irish tuners (PV8, PV80, PY8 & PY80) and the UK models (PZ81, PZ85 & PZ800)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Does anyone know who can supply the TH-65 with an Irish tuner in Dublin?

panasonic dont make the 65" with an Irish tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

thanks big moe, do you know if theres a long lead time on them?

The new PZ800 in 65" wont be here until september.

the current PZ700 shouldnt be too hard to get.

contact alliance electric if ya want to find out more

www.allianceelectric.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

A quick Question on the 42" 1080p TV's

Last year Ireland only had the 42PY70 while the uk had the 42PZ70-both tv's the same- one Irish the other a UK tuner.

however the UK had a 42PZ700 which had a few other features over the PZ70 such as an extra HDMI etc but ireland had no 42PZ700 equivilent.(i.e. no 42PY700)

Will it be the same with the PY80? as in IRL wont have an PY85.

i.e. uk will have PZ80 and PZ85(the 85 taking the place of the old PZ700.

py!!86zewyfgn3839. hope I have not confused anyone

unfortunately, yes. panasonic have added a few new ones as well!!

in plasma in ireland, we will have PV8, PV80, PY8 & PY80
    the uk will have a PX80 (pv80), PZ80 (py80), PZ81, PZ85 & PZ800

at the moment the uk have no plans for a UK version of the PV8 or PY8. there's only a few quid in difference between the 8 & 80 so its not really a seller.

many places, including alliance electric, are going to be selling the UK models (PZ81, PZ85 & PZ800) as the specs of the sets are great.. and the fact that many people no longer use analogue anyway...

adam

Big Moe,

I see you are going to be selling the UK spec PZ's. Can you summarise the key differences between the PY80, PZ85 and PZ81 and will the Freesat tuner on the PZ81 work herre in Ireland with an NTL cable feed or would I have to invest in a dish to use the Freesat service?

Any update on when the PZ's will be available?

Fish

• Advertisement

BigFish75 wrote: »
    Big Moe,

I see you are going to be selling the UK spec PZ's. Can you summarise the key differences between the PY80, PZ85 and PZ81 and will the Freesat tuner on the PZ81 work herre in Ireland with an NTL cable feed or would I have to invest in a dish to use the Freesat service?

Any update on when the PZ's will be available?

Fish

sure,

PY80 (PZ80 in uk)
    available in 42" & 50"
    3 HDMI (ver 1.3 with x.v.colour)
    2 SCART
    FULL HD
    SD CARD
    basic 24p support
    30,000:1 contrast ratio

PZ85 - uk model, no cable tuner. you must have a digital box for this to work.
    available in 42" & 46"
    same as PY80 plus:
    better audio (BBE ViVA HD3D Sound)
    TRUE 24p support (24p Real Cinema) with intelligent frame creation

PZ81 - uk model, no cable tuner. you must have a digital box for this to work.
    available in 42", 46" & 50"
    same as PZ85 plus:
    HDMI supports deep colour
    Freesat tuner & LAN socket for freesat services.
    picture in picture
    picture and picture

the PZ85 & PY80 are available now in 42" and in 50" (PY80 only) in the coming weeks.

the PZ81's will be another few weeks away.

for freesat, you must have a satellite dish pointing at astra2 28.2E, most sky satellites point this direction. it will work in Ireland if your satellite is in the right direction.

adam

Hi Adam,

The 50" PZ81 looks amazing. Is the deep colour a big step forward over the PY80? Does it put it in the Kuro class?

When will the 50" PZ81 be available and what will the ballpark price be? (Won't hold you to it!!) I still haven't made a purchase!!!

yeah the PZ81 sounds like the business alright, to be honest.. havent a clue what the price will be. i'll try find out and get back to you.

it would be quite at the kuro class, but i reckon the better one again, the PZ800 will be in the kuro class.... if not better (and cheaper!!)

Thanks Adam, it's a toss up between the PZ81 and PZ800. Freesat built in Vs no Freesat but better picture? All things being equal (which they never are) I'd say the PZ800 has to be the winner but then there are the small issues of price difference between the two and lead time in availability? If the PZ81 is avaialble in a few weeks could I really wait months for the PZ800?

Please come back with the info and put me out of my misery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

Can anyone clear something up for me. Thinking of getting the Panasonic TH-42PY80EY. I have been looking around a few shops and all show the contrast ratio for this to be 30000:1. Just about to get one wheni did one last quick look around at prices and stumbled upon Peats who have it at €1500 but it says it has aspect ratio of only 15000:1. Its the same model number etc. Phoned peats in case they had it wrong on site but they confirmed it is 15000:1. All other places i have checked have it at 30000:1.
    I tried to check Panasonic UK site which shoes the PZ80B and PX80B which both appear to be 30000:1.
    Can anyone offer any info on this??
    Also cant find much information on reviews etc on the PY80 on web at all so any links or personal recommendations would be great.

the PY80 (PZ80 in the uk) has a contrast ratio of 30,000:1

the PV80 (PX80 in the uk) has a contrast ratio of 15,000:1

peats just have the wrong specs on their website, the guy in the shop was probably just reading from that. im not sure what tv you were looking at, but i just looked at the PZ80 & PX80 on panasonics site and it says 30,000:1 and 15,000:1 respectively.

for reviews, you'll have more look searching for reviews of the UK model, TH-42PZ80

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

HI,

So where can we see/buy these Panasonic TVs in Dublin?

Are there any prices available on them?

I'm starting to look into getting a biggish plasma and the PZ80/PZ81 46" & 50" sets look interesting.

I gather you're a dealer, Adam? Do you (or anyone else) recommend only buying from a bricks-and-mortar Irish dealer, or is it realistic to buy on-line from the UK, or even Richersounds in Belfast?

Komplett have the 46PZ80 for E1807 (excl shipping), but not the 50", nor either PZ81.

Thats getting on for E2000 for one of these sets...

Laskys in the UK have the 46PZ80 for 1130 STG, and the 50PZ80 for 1204 STG (both excl shipping - approx 100 STG to Dublin). So 1230/1304 STG = E1550/1644, respectively at today's rate.

Richersounds have the 46PZ81 for E2000, but aparrently not the 50" nor either of the PZ80s

Can the 46PZ80 be found in Ireland for E1500 - E1600? Or the 50PZ80 for E1600 - E1700?

If not, what (if anything) is against buying from the UK and saving E400 - E500 (that's 20% - 25%! Or it's a Blu-ray player or an XBox...) over the Irish (or komplett) price?

Thanks,

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I was down in Alliance Electric today, they have both tagged 42" PV80 (PX80) for €1,099 and PY80 (PX80) for €1,499. Both are sitting next to each other. I am impressed these are good plasma with 5 year warranty. If you might want to ask the guys there to give a little bit more room for discounts. And, there's 5-year warranty from Panasonic if you buy before end of July!

I think I'm getting one PV80. Don't think the Full HD on PY80 is necessary for me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I just had a look at alliance electric's site.

They're listing the TH-46PY8 for E1800.

http://www.allianceelectric.ie/products/tv/plasmalcd/th46py8.htm

So if the PY is Ireland's equivalent of the UK's PZ (have I got that right?), what's different between them?

Is the description missing the "0" at the end and this is actually a 46PY80, or is this really a PZ8?

I'll call them tomorrow.

Mark

• Advertisement

the PY8 is a different model to the PY80, its doesnt have all the features that the PY80 has, but it is available in the 46" size that the PY80 isnt.

adam

Advertisement