Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking mad neighbour!

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

hi there, I am looking for advice about a neighbours dog who is constantly barking. Sometime from 7.30am till evening. It is generally a house dog so is in a t night but on occassion has been out late. We have spoken to her about the issue but are reluctant to go down that route again as she called the guards before claiming intimidation!!! ( her daughter is a gard too) Mmmm......who's being intimidated??? Any way she is not a good neighbour and completely unreasonable and will not stop the barking dog even when she is in her kitchen looking out at the dog. We can neither go out our back or front without the dod barking incessively. to sit out in the garden during the summer is now out of the question. Is there any other route we can take? Should the dog be barking like this all the time? In my mind she is neglecting it by not training the dog to stop. Surely a dog will only bark if it is distressed?

Our Sun morning lie in is ruined every weekend by this problem. We are really getting very intolerant now. Advice greatly accepted. I should also mention that other neighbours complain about it too but in true Irish style will not complain to her or tackle the issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Is the dog taken out for walks at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

on a vary rare occassion that I am aware of. Now she may bring it for walks but I really do not think so. I saw it on the green once for a pooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Poor dog, if he isn't getting any kind of excersize or mental stimulation no wonder he is barking, it's probably a mixture of boredom, frustration and being hyper from having so much energy pent up. Could you not persuade her to take him for walks every day or at least every other day? or maybe offer to take him for a walk for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Can you tell her that if she doesn't start walking the dog so that he's not so bored out of his mind that he has to bark all day you'll be putting a call in to the ISCPA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

okgirl wrote: »
    hi there, I am looking for advice about a neighbours dog who is constantly barking. Sometime from 7.30am till evening. It is generally a house dog so is in a t night but on occassion has been out late. We have spoken to her about the issue but are reluctant to go down that route again as she called the guards before claiming intimidation!!! ( her daughter is a gard too) Mmmm......who's being intimidated??? Any way she is not a good neighbour and completely unreasonable and will not stop the barking dog even when she is in her kitchen looking out at the dog. We can neither go out our back or front without the dod barking incessively. to sit out in the garden during the summer is now out of the question. Is there any other route we can take? Should the dog be barking like this all the time? In my mind she is neglecting it by not training the dog to stop. Surely a dog will only bark if it is distressed?

Our Sun morning lie in is ruined every weekend by this problem. We are really getting very intolerant now. Advice greatly accepted. I should also mention that other neighbours complain about it too but in true Irish style will not complain to her or tackle the issue.

id sudjest you call a dog wardern if no sasifaction call the guardi they have the power to report the dog warden at any time if its ongoing and check for details of the dog eg lincece,where its kept,water,and collars.As the law states any noise from next door neighbours after 11.00 pm is against the law that includes barking,radio,domestic disputes,drunken behaviour etc.
    Or would it be better to ask the neighbour politely to adress the barking noise that you are not getting any sleep???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have talked to a council expert on this. The only way you can stop a barking dog is to take the owner to the district court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Its not the dogs fault.
    If ya have to bring them to court, then do if its annoying you that much that you would kill a dog.
    Or just have mental parties all week long until your neighbours listen to you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Any more posts about animal killing and Im banning the poster permanently.

There will be no further warnings issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Advice greatly accepted.

This should help.

The daughter being a member of the Gardai is irrelevant & if you are feeling intimidated because of this then book an appointment with your local Super to discuss the individuals behaviour, with evidence of this intimidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Solo-Evolution

i havent seen this topic and opened one more...about it....
    maybe we live in the same estate :rolleyes:

Hello guys...I believe this is one of my very first and very few posts, but I need your help!!!
    We moved to Waterford just 3-4 weeks ago and we are not familiar with the town and organizations..However the problem is : we live in Grantstown park and our neighbor is leaving his dog outside for the whole day. The poor thing is there it doesnt matter rain or snow, plus is barking CONSTANTLY !!! Is that normal?? We are a bit fed up with it !!! Im working from home and its impossible to concentrate and my husband is working shifts..he goes to bed at 3 at night...at 8 in the morning he has to get up, because of the dog. IS THAT NORMAL?I understand everybody has his rights, BUT this is not my right...is it?
    Where can I write complain? Can I do that at all?

Thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rach.mcguire@gm

Hi Ok Girl, a dog will not only bark when distressed,is there a presence of cats?is there another neighbours dog in heat?Dogs bark for a variety of reasons, my dogs are walked daily (each evening after 12,I'm a night owl) but will still bark at various intervals throughout the day (he's a dog,thats what they love to do!!!). I'm sure that my neighbours are unaware that our dog is ever walked (except for 1 guy that seems to be awake 24/7) so all is not always how it seems....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

You can't train a dog not to bark. They bark for all sorts of reasons, it could well be barking at birds, the wind, anything like that at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

on a vary rare occassion that I am aware of. Now she may bring it for walks but I really do not think so. I saw it on the green once for a pooh!

To be fair here you can't possibly say that you know how often this dog is walked unless you are sitting in your house having a stake out - either way the ISPCA aren't going to intervene because there is a dog barking. Thats not their job. If it's really driving you mad and you have already tried talking nicely to the neighbour then all you can do is report it to the council but that's a pretty harsh thing to do to a neighbour. If the neighbour reported you for intimidation, is it possible that maybe you confronted her when you were annoyed and it came across that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Zombie thread OP started in Feb 08

Advertisement