Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda- Personal Qualities Required

Options
  • 27-02-2008 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello,

I am interested in joining the Garda. However I was wondering what qualities are required to make a good law enforcer?

With the help of your replies I can then judge my own attributes and make an informed decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Qualities of a Garda??? Emmmm. This is the qualities I use

1. In some incidents you have to be a talker and other times you need to know when to shut up and listen

2. Sometimes you need to be able to take crap screamed at you and yet other times you need to take action when crap is being screamed at you

3. You need know when to use force and when not to use force

4. You need to be approachable and friendly but you still need to be firm and at times aggressive

5. You need to nosey but not appear too nosey

6. You need to be able to do files while getting detections at the same time

7. You need to be able to absorb information like your a computer

8. You need to have eyes in the back of your head

9. And most important you need to learn how to kick things to touch (I learnt this fairly quickly)

Does that answer your question or make you more confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A cop friend once said he was a "social worker in uniform" if that helps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DisandDat

Thats interesting.

Those points are more related to the job though. From a person point of view, would a garda need to be, honest, benevolent, thoughtful, intelligent and so on, or would a more authorative get the job done using any means method be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

DisandDat wrote: »
    Thats interesting.

Those points are more related to the job though. From a person point of view, would a garda need to be, honest, benevolent, thoughtful, intelligent and so on, or would a more authorative get the job done using any means method be suitable.

Its hard to be 100% honest when you have to be suspicious of everyone. Eyes in the back of your head, so to speak.

You must be able to empathise enough to hint you care, without becoming emotionally involved. Intelligence seemingly is not required, but your intelligence will be tested to breaking point in this job. There are so many sides to every call, its hard to keep up. But you must keep up.

Authority is granted by the job. Lording it over the public will get you into serious trouble with them, and with your colleagues and senior officers.

A garda must be humble where needed, authoritative where needed, empathetic where needed, firm where needed.

As a Garda, you are always wrong, whether in the eyes of the public, the judiciary or the senior officers. If you can't handle that, you may have some thinking to do.

Mao, that post provided some good insights.

I disagree that Garda are always wrong.

When getting trained, are Garda encouraged to be suscipious of everyone, fake emotions and use/abuse their power?

• Advertisement

Mao, that post provided some good insights.

I disagree that Garda are always wrong.

When getting trained, are Garda encouraged to be suscipious of everyone, fake emotions and use/abuse their power?

I never said they were actually wrong. But it's the view that's commonly held by the public, judiciary and senior officers. It's something you must work around. Cover your rear from attack at all times in the job. If you get what I mean!

I never said to fake emotions, simply that we must empathise without becoming emotionally involved. It's very important in more serious, distressing calls or cases you may have to work on.

I never said to abuse power, I said that some Gardaí think they have sole authority and are difficult to work with. This does not serve them well in their work or long-term career, as you can imagine! :-)

And what type of psychological training is provided to garda. My friend joined (tells me great stories, now at Kevin St) and he was telling me that you are encouraged to see yourself as apart form those on civie street, indeed he was even asked at one point if he would have a problem enforcing laws on his family members.

Don't know what they teach now, maybe TheNog or GTC could help. I've been in the job too long now, would imagine the courses have changed somewhat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Agree with all that's already been said above but your question can be answered as briefly as the following:

You will have few problems as long as you have a lot of cop on! Simple as....

And what type of psychological training is provided to garda. My friend joined (tells me great stories, now at Kevin St) and he was telling me that you are encouraged to see yourself as apart form those on civie street, indeed he was even asked at one point if he would have a problem enforcing laws on his family members.

We are trained in assertive presence, talking and listening skills for say emotional situations like a sudden death or a person who is attempting suicide etc. We are also taught how to challenge stereotypical views such Travellers, racism etc

We are told that once we join we are no longer civilians but when I was a student in the eyes of the public we were guards but in the eyes of the guards we were not guards. So where did that leave us?

I will tell ye though that if you join and go out on patrol you will be watching for everything from gougers to drunk drivers to traffic violations etc. All of these things a person with a normal job wouldn't look twice at but I find myself looking for these things even when I'm off duty. It drives my g/f mad sometimes.

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Agree with all that's already been said above but your question can be answered as briefly as the following:

You will have few problems as long as you have a lot of cop on! Simple as....

Shorter again " Use common sense" :p

TheNog wrote: »
    All of these things a person with a normal job wouldn't look twice at but I find myself looking for these things even when I'm off duty. It drives my g/f mad sometimes.

So how would you summarise the duties of a garda. Are they there to keep the peace, basically what I am getting at is, are they there to serve the public or to enforce laws on the public.

I need to get myself in the mindframe of a Garda, because there is no point in myself applying if the job will entail the carrying out of tasks in conflict with my moral viewpoint.

So how would you summarise the duties of a garda. Are they there to keep the peace, basically what I am getting at is, are they there to serve the public or to enforce laws on the public.

I need to get myself in the mindframe of a Garda, because there is no point in myself applying if the job will entail the carrying out of tasks in conflict with my moral viewpoint.

A bit of both I suppose. You will have discretion in some minor offences where you can opt for a chat to the offender in the hope of educating him/her or prosecute.

Can you give us an outline of what your moral viewpoints are?

A bit of both I suppose. You will have discretion in some minor offences where you can opt for a chat to the offender in the hope of educating him/her or prosecute.

I agree, discretion is in my opinion a key to successful policing.
    Can you give us an outline of what your moral viewpoints are?

Fairly standard really.

My big issues would be with the possible abuse of police power and that which you have touched on above, the prosecution and fining of people for minor offences. I may have trouble involving myself in such practices and i would definitely not involve myself in any sort of corruption (not that I believe corruption is widespread by any stretch of the imagination).

Also I was informed that all Officers are encouraged to join a Freemasonic Lodge, I would find this acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭controller

Hello,

I am interested in joining the Garda. However I was wondering what qualities are required to make a good law enforcer?

With the help of your replies I can then judge my own attributes and make an informed decision.

Hi my advice to you would be to enroll in a Garda aptitude preparation course. One of the tests in Stage I is a skills/experience questionnaire, this is to determine your suitability to the job. From these questions you would get an idea of what characteristics are deemed suitable. Plus the course tutor will explain in full

I agree, discretion is in my opinion a key to successful policing.

Remember that discretion is advised in some but not all incidents of minor offences
    Fairly standard really.

My big issues would be with the possible abuse of police power and that which you have touched on above, the prosecution and fining of people for minor offences. I may have trouble involving myself in such practices and i would definitely not involve myself in any sort of corruption (not that I believe corruption is widespread by any stretch of the imagination).

Also I was informed that all Officers are encouraged to join a Freemasonic Lodge, I would find this acceptable.

The abuse of power is frowned upon by management and rank and file gardai. There are alot of guards out there doing great work and building confidences with people only to have it ruined by some upstart who thinks he/she is the best since slice pan. Corruption is again frowned upon by all gardai for the same reason as above.

Prosecuting/fining people even for minor offences still have to be done in Phase 4 and for your probation period otherwise you will not pass phase 4 or you will have your probation extended.

Freemasonic Lodge? never heard of any

I don't mean to offend you but you seem a bit of a pacifist to me. In other words would you get involved in a physical altercation if required? Although most of the job involves talking to people there are some people who just will not listen for various reasons and I am wondering if you are the type of person to lend a hand if no sorry when things get hairy.

The freemsaonic thing was just something that was mentioned to me by my friend from Kevin St. Maybe he was only leading me on as he knows that I intend to join the brotherhood.

I am no pacifist, if anything I would be on the other side of the fence. However I only enter altercations with a valid reason. If the reason is valid, I'd be the first to draw the baton.

Nog, you are painting a fairly positive picture of the Gardai. Thats great to hear.

It is like every other job, it has its good times and bad times. Unlike most jobs it also has its very good times and equally its very bad times.

There is peer support for the very bad times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i dont mean to be cynical but i think disanddat is possibly ripping the pee a bit. you seem to be both asking and answering your questions in the same post.................................and frankly if your more concerned in joining the brotherhood I]sic[/I the police possibly isnt the best option. in my limited opinion it boils down to this................nice people make good gards. however from what i can judge by the interview the Super esp seemed to like the fact that i had the balls to stand him up when he was acting the cnut a little bit. i.e trying repeatedly to throw me and asking end questions. sooooooo............... in summery i agree with THeNog hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Shorter again " Use common sense" :p

Isn't that a dirty word in the GS :D

• Advertisement

i dont mean to be cynical but i think disanddat is possibly ripping the pee a bit
    Not the case. I am sitting on the fence until I can make an informed decision.
    in my limited opinion it boils down to this................nice people make good gards. i agree with THeNog hahaha

Yes, that is the impression I am getting.

It is actually is when it comes to equipment,procedures,practices and anything else put on the guards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Not to put too fine a point on it, but are you taking the piss? Under what circumstances do you envisage apathy regarding abuse of police power being a positive trait in a prospective police officer.

And if you have trouble in 'involving' yourself 'in such practices' as prosecuting people for offences, be they major or minor, then a job in law enforcement isn't for you. Though you will be given the power of discretion as a police officer, as well as a warrant card, it is not up to you to decide which laws to enforce based upon your moral standpoint :rolleyes: As a police you conduct your duty without fear, favour, malice or ill will, regardless of personal views.

Similarly, as an officer in a disciplined service you will expected to follow and carry out lawful orders, regardless of what you personally think of the person giving the order, or what the order entails.

And I find your gusto for joining the Masons, in light of your above comments about the police, somewhat ironic.

Jog on?

metman wrote: »
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but are you taking the piss? Under what circumstances do you envisage apathy regarding abuse of police power being a positive trait in a prospective police officer.

Clearly a misread on your part.
    And if you have trouble in 'involving' yourself 'in such practices' as prosecuting people for offences, be they major or minor, then a job in law enforcement isn't for you. Though you will be given the power of discretion as a police officer, as well as a warrant card, it is not up to you to decide which laws to enforce based upon your moral standpoint :rolleyes: As a police you conduct your duty without fear, favour, malice or ill will, regardless of personal views.
    So what you are saying is, you will blindly follow any instruction handed down to you. That I could not do.
    Similarly, as an officer in a disciplined service you will expected to follow and carry out lawful orders, regardless of what you personally think of the person giving the order, or what the order entails.
    Who writes the laws and for what purpose.
    And I find your gusto for joining the Masons, in light of your above comments about the police, somewhat ironic
    Why? I have merely stated that i would reference my instructions against my personal views, not blindly follow orders. If blind obedience to orders is a requirement of a Garda officer, I must say that the force is definitely not for me.

These are the type of questions that I wanted to have answered.

dude, im almost positive your not going to be forced to enforce any of those minor offences as the odds of you getting through the selection process with that attitude are veeery slim indeed

its funny to make an informed decision one generaly weighs up the advantages and disadvantages of a particular course of action.........yet you are just asking and talking about the downsides and what u dislike about the job..............

By the way did a little digging thought your posts were slightly journalistic like (yes i just made up a word) could u possibly be fishing for info coz of an interest in being a Crime and Policing Analyst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Faheywitane

Whaaaaa??????

Why would you be required to join a freemasonic lodge?????

its funny to make an informed decision one generaly weighs up the advantages and disadvantages of a particular course of action.........yet you are just asking and talking about the downsides and what u dislike about the job..............
    We all know the advantages of being a Garda.

By the way did a little digging thought your posts were slightly journalistic like (yes i just made up a word) could u possibly be fishing for info coz of an interest in being a Crime and Policing Analyst
    Not at all. I am very interested in the whole area of policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Deleted my original post, the above shows this guy is a piss taker or anti-police troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

I don't think you can ''get yourself'' into the mindframe of a police officer.Yes certain traits are good,but your personality doesn't dramatically change once you get to Templemore.IMO,you either have what is required or you don't.It's like any training,they build you for the job.Once your in Templemore,the staff training you will know whether your cut out for it or not.

As an example,there is a fella in my year who is applying for the Gardai.He dosses school,smokes hash,dangerous driver and even refers to Gardai as ''Shades''.Basically,he is the opposite of what you'd expect from a Garda..

OP,this is a pointless thread,imo,as you can't just change your moral views and your mindset so as to become a Garda..you either have what is required or you don't,well that's the way I see it because the interview and your training in Templemore will be the deciding factor of whether your suited for GS.

Why do you want to become a Garda?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement