Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonball Live Action Movie

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wtf ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

wtf ^^^^
    No, I agree.
    She was a good-looking anime chick.

Still prefer Bulma, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well here she is herself talking about the film and some hot Chichi on Chichi action:

http://io9.com/5029471/dragonballs-chi-chi-shows-us-her-right-hook-and-spills-some-spoilers

She seems like a highly intelligent young actress....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

damn, doesn't show up for me, it's a problem with ff3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Emmmmmmmmmmmy Rossum.. i approve

• Advertisement

Looks like a movie trailer is on the way.

Here's Piccolo:

atrailer3.jpg

atrailer9.jpg

More captures here:

http://www.dragonballmovieblog.net/2008/09/trailer-screen-capturespiccolos-reveal/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Foolinfection Says:
    September 2nd, 2008 at 11:35 pm . . . . . . . . . . .he’s not…green….

i agree

Well it might be a way differentiate Demon King Piccolo from Piccolo Jr. who will be one of the main heroes in any future films and will hopefully be green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

atrailer8.jpg

Not exactly the size I ever imagined a Dragon Ball to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's roughly the ****ty size the earth ones were is it not?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    That's roughly the ****ty size the earth ones were is it not?

Yep. The Earth ones might have been a little bit bigger... but not by much.

Gohan used to have one on the top of his hat.

Gohanchildsclothes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

well at least we know chow yun fat will be in it which is always a plus

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm a bit worried about this one TBH. I never really imagined DBZ could work in a live action setting.
    Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap i dont no ass wall about this one becase a rael film come on

Stephen Chow is involved. Have you people never seen Kung Fu Hustle or Shoalin Soccer? If any human on Earth can make a live action Dragonball movie work it's this guy. He's the only reason I have anything resembling hope for this film.

Advent children style was how i imagined it. It still looks cheesy tbh from the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Finally, the trailer is here: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKUGTwEUegY

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The guy wrote: »
    Finally, the trailer is here: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKUGTwEUegY
    WOW. LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAYS?

Seriously. Do this again and I will kill you. Then I will gather all 7 dragonballs, revive you, and then kill you again.

edit: video resolution is awful but im half convinced this is a real trailer:

edit: This seems far more official

http://dbthemovie.com/category/videos/

As for the 3 movies I imagine Dragonball, The Vegeta stuff, and then the 3rd Movie would be the Freiza stuff, because a lot went down in the namek and freiza sagas.

But without further adieu, here is a nice digest of FAQ for everyone. The first theatrical trailer release will take place on December 12th.
    Distributor: 20th Century Fox
    Director: James Wong
    Budget: $100 million
    Release Date: April 10th 2009 in North America, March 13th 2009 in Japan
    Filming Locations: Mexico City, Durango, Los Angeles

While Fox is keeping most information tightly under wraps, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions that will be updated constantly with new and updated information.

Frequently Asked Questions
    - How did this happen?
    - Why not Dragonball Z?
    - Why is Justin Chatwin Goku?
    - Why will Goku be attending high school?
    - Will there be sequels?
    - Will there be a lot of CGI? What kind of hair will be used?
    - What is Piccolo like in this adaptation?
    - Who will be scoring Dragonball?
    - Will there be humor?
    - What will the fighting be like?
    - Why did Fox move the release date? What is the release date?
    - When will Fox start promoting the movie?
    - When will the trailer be released? NEW

Q – How did this happen?
    A - 20th Century Fox went to Japan to buy the rights for a Dragonball movie in 2002. Since then, very little progress was done on the movie until recently. Regardless, fans were very excited and fake posters and manips began to appear soon after the movie rights were acquired. In 2004, Fox hired Ben Ramsey (The Big Hit) to write the screenplay. After many reports on the movie being cancelled, finally in 2007 we were given some credible information.

Canada.com reported that 20th Century Fox had planned on filming the Dragonball movie in Montreal via green screen, much like the movie “300.” Soon after, 20th Century Fox issued a press release, confirming the director, producer, and stunt company.

Press Release: 20th Century Fox Films

The manga, novels and series bring to the film a rich mythology and exciting, complex characters – all of which have captivated millions of fans, of all ages, around the globe. One of the greatest manga franchises ever created, DRAGONBALL has an enormous online fanbase and is consistently one of the most frequently searched-for terms on Google and Yahoo! DRAGONBALL has exploded into a global phenomenon that has generated more than four billion dollars in merchandising sales. It is considered the gold standard of anime-based video games, with more than 25 different games and over ten million units sold since May 2002. The series – 500 episodes strong – posted top ratings in Europe, Asia and the U.S.

Rising star Justin Chatwin, who portrayed Tom Cruise’s son in Steven Spielberg’s WAR OF THE WORLDS, takes on the lead role of the heroic Goku, a powerful warrior who protects the Earth from an endless stream of rogues bent on dominating the Universe and controlling the mystical objects from which the film takes its name.

Chatwin has already begun a rigorous training regimen under the auspices of the premier stunt performance company, 87Eleven, which has executed or designed some of the biggest action pieces ever seen on film, in pictures such as THE MATRIX, THE BOURNE SUPREMACY, MR. & MRS. SMITH, and 300.

The press release confirmed James Wong was hired to direct, Stephen Chow was hired to produce, and 87Eleven was hired to do the stunts. The reports on filming in Montreal were false, however, and filming was actually done in Durango, Mexico. The film has recently wrapped filming and is now in post production.

James Wong rewrote the previous draft by Ben Ramsey, with help from Stephen Chow who has given James advice and guidance on the script.

The film is currently scheduled for an April 10th, 2009 release in North America and a March 2009 release in Japan. The movie has a budget of around $100 million dollars, and the movie’s runtime is estimated to be about 100 minutes.

Q - Why not Dragonball Z?
    A - This movie is an adaptation of the King Piccolo and Piccolo JR. sagas of Dragonball. However, it will also contain important elements from the first season of Dragonball, such as Bulma meeting Goku, and Goku training with Master Roshi. It’s the most important parts of Dragonball in one movie.

Since Dragonball technically comes before Dragonball Z, it only makes sense to start with it. Vegeta, Nappa, Trunks, and other Dragonball Z-exclusive characters will NOT be in this movie for the obvious reason that they didn’t appear in the beginning.

Q - Why is Justin Chatwin Goku?
    A – Justin Chatwin (War of the Worlds, The Invisible) auditioned for the role and got the part. It’s important to remember that this is an adaptation, and James Wong must have seen that Chatwin could be faithful to his interpretation. Justin seems thrilled to play Goku, too!

I think it is an honor to play Goku. He is a universal character, as if a reincarnation of Luke Skywalker, and a really great character to play. Goku always takes action himself, is positive thinking, helps the weak. He had a great influence on myself.
    - Roadshow magazine, July 7th 2008 issue.

For a complete and detailed look at the cast, visit the cast page.

Q – Goku will be in high school?
    A – Yes, in this adaptation Goku will attend high school for a brief period of time. For comparison, watch the first “Spiderman” movie and count the amount of minutes Peter Parker attended high school in the movie. Chances are, high school will play an incredibly short part in this movie as well.

As proof, Texas Battle (school bully) and other high school extras finished filming in about two days. Two days of filming in a Hollywood movie is a short amount of time. It is estimated that the high school scenes will last around 5-10 minutes, if that.

Q – Why has the character Goku been changed?
    A – Unfortunately, I haven’t read the script yet, and chances are neither have you. Because this is an adaptation, we can only assume the change fits the movie. It is also important to note Goku is 18 in this movie, so he will be graduating (or dropping out of) school, and in sequels school will be non-existent. It’s best to be patient and trust the filmmakers.

Q – Will there be sequels?
    A – It has been stated they plan on making the series into a trilogy. This entirely depends on box office success, so watch the movie upon release if you want to see more!

Q – Will the movie be mostly CGI and defeat the purpose of live-action?
    A – 85% of the movie was filmed in Durango, Mexico. You may think it’s impossible to find landscape that looks like the scenery in the anime, but recent pictures have shown Durango is very capable of providing a realistic recreation of the series. And, of course, green screen can help.

A portion of the film will be shot in Los Angeles (no doubt with green and blue screen). You can expect something great, because the budget is fairly high. The hair will not be CGI, but instead wigs and natural hair will be used.

Q – Who is Lord Piccolo? Wasn’t he a good guy?
    A – Later in the series Piccolo turns good, but originally Lord Piccolo was the baddest guy in town. James Marsters (Buffy, Angel) will play Lord Piccolo, the ancient leader of a demonic race. He will be green, old, and decrepit. But, don’t take my word for it, read what the actor himself has said:

TV Guide: You’re plunging into a big sci-fi feature next. Can you talk about the live-action Dragonball?
    Marsters: Dragonball is the coolest television cartoon in the last 50,000 years. Its only failing is that the female characters aren’t drawn well — we’re going to fix that in the movie. It’s got a Shakespearean sense of good and evil and there are incredible action scenes with characters of unbelievable power. It’s going to be really visually exciting. I was told the budget is about $100 million.

TV Guide: Nice to know you’re so enthusiastic. Who do you play?
    Marsters: Lord Piccolo. He’s thousands of years old and a very long time ago he used to be a force of good but got into a bad argument and was put into prison for 2,000 years. It got him very angry, and he finds a way to escape and then tries to destroy the world. The cool thing is, anybody who has seen Dragonball knows that Lord Piccolo transforms into a character named Piccolo, and that is a whole other ball of wax. That is one of the most popular characters in the whole series. I’ve been told I’m working for people who will just flay me alive if I give too much information, but what I can tell you is the character is green, bald and has pointed ears. Heroic wouldn’t be the wrong term by the end, but it’s a long journey.

James is signed on for two more films. For more information on James Marsters and Piccolo, check out the James Marsters category.

Q - Who will be scoring Dragonball?
    A - We were actually first to confirm that Brian Tyler would be scoring Dragonball. Check out the original post!

Q - Will there be humor?
    A - Like the anime, the movie will also contain humor. It’s too early to tell how much or what kind.

Q - What will the fighting be like?
    A - It’s too early to tell, but since 87Eleven is doing the stunts, it might be similar to “The Matrix.” But, since James Wong is directing, it might be similar to “The One.” When we see a teaser trailer, we will have a better idea. For video comparisons on different fighting styles, check out this post.

Q - Why did Fox move the release date from August 15th, 2008 to April 3rd, 2009 to April 8th, 2009 to April 10th 2009?
    A - It was moved from August 15th, 2008 to April 3rd, 2009 because Fox realized they had no time for post production. It was then moved from April 3rd, 2009 to April 8th because of Easter break (and Gatchaman is being released on April 3rd, 2009). It was then moved again from April 8th to April 10th because the 10th is a Friday.

Q - When will promotion start?
    A - Promotion in Japan, it seems, has already started! As for America, promotion will pick up late 2008 and early 2009. The official movie website can be located at www.dragonballthemovie.com, but at the moment it will only redirect you to the 20th Century Fox website.

Q - When will the trailer be released?
    A - The official theatrical trailer will be released December 12th, 2008.

Overheal wrote: »
    yeah the video you have there is actually clips from dragon wars

• Advertisement

Ah. yes. well. I just ripped the other trailer from that website and its uploading to youtube as we speak:

edit: nevermind. Whatever processing youtube does it automagically flagged the video as FOX property, the cúnts.

Its here anyway http://dbthemovie.com/category/videos/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Video has been taken down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lunar_Wolf

zxk1u8.jpg
    pic3.jpgpic2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

It's... different.

(Is that Nyoibo in the first pic or just part of the vehicle?)

Prime32 wrote: »
    It's... different.

(Is that Nyoibo in the first pic or just part of the vehicle?)
    In fairness Tim Burton's interpretation of Batman was pretty unconventional too, for its time. And it kicked ass.

IMO, better a reinterpretation than trying to do a live action knockoff of the series. You know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Overheal wrote: »
    In fairness Tim Burton's interpretation of Batman was pretty unconventional too, for its time. And it kicked ass.
    Batman has been portrayed in just about every way imaginable.
    IMO, better a reinterpretation than trying to do a live action knockoff of the series. You know?
    At what point does it stop being a reinterpretation of Dragonball and start being another reinterpretation of Journey to the West?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

There, an actual trailer.

I actually approve of the cheesyesque crouching tiger style acrobatics. should prove entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,906 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dont like the fellow who plays goku

cant really explain why

are they keeping to the story that goku is a saiyan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

god it looks rubbish

Advertisement