Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

technical interview for aircraft mechanic

Options
  • 27-03-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know where I could get info on the technical interview and practical exam for starting an apprenticeship as an aircraft maintenance engineer. My problem is i really dont know where to start.
    Are technical interviews generic for all engineering/technician work or would this one be specific to the job? Would it be a similar to a pilot one? I ask this because I have found books on the pilot technical interview.
    Thanks if anyone has any help and can guide me in some direction it would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

www.pprune.org

There are sections for technicians etc, post your Q there.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

cheers thats exactly the kind of site I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

The technical interview for aircraft mechanic/engineer/technician apprenticeship/traineeship is just basic technical stuff. Presumably you've gotten something at shannon aerospace: The interview will just assess your interest etc in "hands-on" stuff, basically to see you know the difference between a screwdriver, a spanner and flashlight(Which, incidently can all function as hammers ;)). They'll also ask stuff about your knowledge of aircraft, how you think a plane is maintained etc. If you've done metalwork or woodwork at school or even put the chain on yer bike etc you'll cruise through it. With the practical exam you'll get given a box full of bits & an instructional diagram (i.e flatpack shelf instructions ;)) Follow the instructions & again you'll cruise it.

But, bear in mind Shannon Aerospace are so desperate for trainees that you could fail everything & still get the position! And if you happen to be making a guillotine in the practical pay particular attention to the brass piece (it won't find at the end).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Mythago wrote: »
    But, bear in mind Shannon Aerospace are so desperate for trainees that you could fail everything & still get the position!

Why's this - should they be avoided?!
    I had to turn down an interview for this coming thursday - f**king gutted, starting a new job tomorrow.
    If things didn't work out in my new job, I was gonna try Shannon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

land9 wrote: »
    Why's this - should they be avoided?!
    I had to turn down an interview for this coming thursday - f**king gutted, starting a new job tomorrow.
    If things didn't work out in my new job, I was gonna try Shannon again.

Not avoided, but I wouldn't worry about the tech side of the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Shannon aerospace get a new crowd of trainees every 3 months.

But beware, they only train their apprentices to technician standard.

For other options try Aer Atlanta or if you dont want to live in shannon (which isnt that great tbh) try SR Technics and Ryanair/Easyjet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Publius Scipio

Hey all,
    I was wondering if any of you could help me with a few questions. I went for an interview with Shannon Aerospace as a Trainee Aircraft Maintenance Tech last Thursday. It started off with thirty guys in the morning and ended with two left after the interviews and tests were finished. I was sent for the medical and passed no problems. However they have not been in touch with me since. Since I was sent for the medical, does this mean that I will be offered a place? I need to move from Cork to Limerick and I don't want to get there and find that I have been rejected. The course starts on the 5th of next month so I need to get a shift on. How long does it normally take for them to get back to you? Also, does anyone have any information on grants or rent allowance? Thanks for any help you may be able to give me and sorry for babbling on.

only 2 out of 30??? Fair play, I didnt realise it was that hard to get into. What kind of tests were there?
    06137000, thats their number they should have no problem helping you out.

zig wrote: »
    only 2 out of 30??? Fair play, I didnt realise it was that hard to get into. What kind of tests were there?
    06137000, thats their number they should have no problem helping you out.

Hy zig.
    The tests were pretty intense time wise. The first was a maths test where you had to do the equations and find them in a multiple choice context. The numbers given in the multiple choice were only approximate answers so you had to take that into account too. You only have 10 minutes to answer forty questions. I only managed 25 and still passed so I think that the pass level must be around 50 percent. The second test was a kind of spot the difference test where you were given a picture like a circuit and you had to find the difference between that picture and another and then mark their gris reference on the page. Also tough time wise, 15 minutes for 40 puzzles. Got 32 done and passed. The practical assessment was also tough. Lots of small niggly pieces and barely enough time to get it done. Word of advice, DO THE TEST STANDING UP. You can't notice everything when you are sitting down. One guy turned the model up to have a look at it and ended up spraying his pieces all over the room. Needless to say he failed. Then there is an interview. More advice, wear a shirt and tie and know your **** about the company. They will ask. Interiew was half an hour long and they pretty much went over the CV with a fine tooth comb. Then the medical was a straight out medical, noone from the company there. It was stressful but not too bad. I just hope that I got the place, although I can't understand why they would send me for a medical if I didn't get it. Any more questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you.:)

Have you any trade behind you as it stands - fitter or mechanic?

• Advertisement

No, bugger all. They never said anything about needing anything like that. But none of the guys there had anything like that. Why, will that stand against me?

I don't know - I'd doubt it if they made you go through all that in the first place! I think you will have to go through a longer training program without a trade.

I saw the job advertised on fas job bank - but they were looking for fitters or mechanics (me being the latter), but they obviously run traineeships as well for people with no experience.

Yeah I hope not. The training is for 2 years and 3 months. I've been holding off on looking for anything else until I find out because I really am interested in it. Plus I need to find a house for me and the missus.

That's not bad - I was told I needed about 7/8 month training, but after 4 years study done already, it doesn't look so soft!

Yeah but it only qualifies me as a technician. I would have to carry on and do the rest as an apprenticeship to qualify as an engineer or mechanic. I ultimately want to go for the mechanical side of it. 8 months is a long time when you're already qualified though.

Hy zig.
    The tests were pretty intense time wise. The first was a maths test where you had to do the equations and find them in a multiple choice context. The numbers given in the multiple choice were only approximate answers so you had to take that into account too. You only have 10 minutes to answer forty questions. I only managed 25 and still passed so I think that the pass level must be around 50 percent. The second test was a kind of spot the difference test where you were given a picture like a circuit and you had to find the difference between that picture and another and then mark their gris reference on the page. Also tough time wise, 15 minutes for 40 puzzles. Got 32 done and passed. The practical assessment was also tough. Lots of small niggly pieces and barely enough time to get it done. Word of advice, DO THE TEST STANDING UP. You can't notice everything when you are sitting down. One guy turned the model up to have a look at it and ended up spraying his pieces all over the room. Needless to say he failed. Then there is an interview. More advice, wear a shirt and tie and know your **** about the company. They will ask. Interiew was half an hour long and they pretty much went over the CV with a fine tooth comb. Then the medical was a straight out medical, noone from the company there. It was stressful but not too bad. I just hope that I got the place, although I can't understand why they would send me for a medical if I didn't get it. Any more questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them for you.:)

Cheers for the advice, I received a letter for an assessment next week so I guess Ill just try and do a load of aptitude tests in the mean time. Do you mind me asking a few more things though?

What other kind of questions did they ask in the interview? Is it just a typical interview, i.e. teamwork,knowledge of job and company, dealing with annoying colleagues etc? or is there any particular question they asked that might be more specific to the job?

One other thing, do you mind explaining a small bit more about the practical exam, is it a selection of washers, bolts and nuts that need to be used to assemble something?
    Really appreciate the help, it could make the difference thanks!!

Yeah but it only qualifies me as a technician. I would have to carry on and do the rest as an apprenticeship to qualify as an engineer or mechanic. I ultimately want to go for the mechanical side of it. 8 months is a long time when you're already qualified though.

technician, engineer or mechanic - it's all the same job, just depends on what job title you prefer!

I enquired what the difference was when I was talking to the hr department! As it stands, my job title is automotive technician or mechanic - neither really impress the ladies:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

land9 wrote: »
    technician, engineer or mechanic - it's all the same job, just depends on what job title you prefer!

Maybe when it coes to ground vehicles, but when it comes to aircraft there is a difference in salary, training as well as work!

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    Maybe when it coes to ground vehicles, but when it comes to aircraft there is a difference in salary, training as well as work!

That's what the nice hr lady told me!

What is the difference?

Cheers for the advice, I received a letter for an assessment next week so I guess Ill just try and do a load of aptitude tests in the mean time. Do you mind me asking a few more things though?

What other kind of questions did they ask in the interview? Is it just a typical interview, i.e. teamwork,knowledge of job and company, dealing with annoying colleagues etc? or is there any particular question they asked that might be more specific to the job?

One other thing, do you mind explaining a small bit more about the practical exam, is it a selection of washers, bolts and nuts that need to be used to assemble something?
    Really appreciate the help, it could make the difference thanks!!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, Zig.
    The interview was fairly straight forward. If you log onto their website you will get all the info you need about the company. Most of the questions were about past work and about any mechanical experience I had as well as a lot of stuff about how I thought I would do in certain situations such as being unable to find a solution to problems. The practical was a load of nuts, bolts, washers and plates of all different sizes that had to be put together in exactly the same way as the example that you have in front of you. Its not terribly difficult but short on time. I have heard that there are a few different types of models but all in the same general vein. So to sum up. Standard type interview with two interviewers and a practical test that you just need to keep your head about you to pass. DON'T PANIC.
    Best of luck to you and I hope all goes well. Let me know how it goes.

• Advertisement

really appreciate the help, i managed to get through everything today so I have a medical next week, so Im sure I should have it at this stage, she was mentioning getting references etc too.:)

again thanks for the help it came in very very handy and defo helped me get it! Seeing as the weeks were close Ill probably be talking to ya anyway, one thing I forgot to ask them though...when does it start??

for anyone with this coming up id recommend practicing your spatial reasoning and numerical reasoning aptitude tests, i flew through them cause i was practicing all week and they were relatively easy because of that.

really appreciate the help, i managed to get through everything today so I have a medical next week, so Im sure I should have it at this stage, she was mentioning getting references etc too.:)

again thanks for the help it came in very very handy and defo helped me get it! Seeing as the weeks were close Ill probably be talking to ya anyway, one thing I forgot to ask them though...when does it start??

for anyone with this coming up id recommend practicing your spatial reasoning and numerical reasoning aptitude tests, i flew through them cause i was practicing all week and they were relatively easy because of that.

Congratulations, Zig. I got my reply the other day too and I got the position so all good there. It starts on the 12th of May, at least thats what I was told. All they need is the medical and once you pass that you're in the door. They test for drugs so if anyone is thinking of having a few spliffs and then going in, forget about it. The nurse that does the medical is a serious hottie so try and keep your pecker from poking her in the eye. Anyway, congratulations again and I'll see you on the 12th.

If anyone else needs any more info on the selection/interview process, I'll be more than happy to help out. Just post your question here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wojas25

hi
    I have the exams on 24 of october... will give me more details with what should i practic to get in .... like to got true with alle that things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 andygori72

Hi my name is Andres and i'm an aircraft mechanic I obtain my degree in my Country (Uruguay) and i will like to know if anybody know what i have to do here in Irland in order to work as it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jmcc42uk

How are the guys above getting on that got into Shannon?

Thinking of doing it myself but unsure of which places to apply for

Just reading through my old posts on this thread from a few years back and I cannot believe how naive I was at the time. I was actually worried about getting this course and proud of the fact that I passed the assessment day. I can honestly say that taking this course was one of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life. I finished it about a month ago after working my arse off for Shannon Aerospace, getting abuse and strife off the Production Trainers every day for the last 2 years and 3 months. And I mean actual abuse. Not just treated badly but verbal abuse. One guy was actually pinned in a corner in the corridor and berated for 20 minutes in front of the whole place for daring to go for a cigarette on his cigarette break. We were expected to carry the can for every mistake made on most stations and pressured into covering weekends and evenings, working unsupervised on aircraft. I mean, guys who couldn't even tie their shoelaces were given the job of removing and inspecting engine parts, with no supervision whatsoever. We were told throughout the training that even though we would be leaving as unlicenced mechs, we would have no trouble finding work as the Shannon Aerospace cert was recognised as a qualification by every maintenance place in Europe. Since I left, I haven't talked to one person who recognises the cert as a qualification and I have applied almost everywhere. There are NO jobs out there for anyone leaving this course. I have just wasted 2 years and 3 months of my life and I can honestly say that everyone on the course would say the same. I strongly urge anyone reading this who is thinking of going to Shannon Aerospace to stay well away. It is a scam for free labour aided and abetted by FAS and nothing more. Oh, and when you leave Shannon Aerospace, you only qualify for Jobseekers Benefit in the amount of 123 euro. So basically, if I was on the dole for the last 2 years and 3 months, I would be infinitely better off than I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Badger the witness

Just reading through my old posts on this thread from a few years back and I cannot believe how naive I was at the time. I was actually worried about getting this course and proud of the fact that I passed the assessment day. I can honestly say that taking this course was one of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life. I finished it about a month ago after working my arse off for Shannon Aerospace, getting abuse and strife off the Production Trainers every day for the last 2 years and 3 months. And I mean actual abuse. Not just treated badly but verbal abuse. One guy was actually pinned in a corner in the corridor and berated for 20 minutes in front of the whole place for daring to go for a cigarette on his cigarette break. We were expected to carry the can for every mistake made on most stations and pressured into covering weekends and evenings, working unsupervised on aircraft. I mean, guys who couldn't even tie their shoelaces were given the job of removing and inspecting engine parts, with no supervision whatsoever. We were told throughout the training that even though we would be leaving as unlicenced mechs, we would have no trouble finding work as the Shannon Aerospace cert was recognised as a qualification by every maintenance place in Europe. Since I left, I haven't talked to one person who recognises the cert as a qualification and I have applied almost everywhere. There are NO jobs out there for anyone leaving this course. I have just wasted 2 years and 3 months of my life and I can honestly say that everyone on the course would say the same. I strongly urge anyone reading this who is thinking of going to Shannon Aerospace to stay well away. It is a scam for free labour aided and abetted by FAS and nothing more. Oh, and when you leave Shannon Aerospace, you only qualify for Jobseekers Benefit in the amount of 123 euro. So basically, if I was on the dole for the last 2 years and 3 months, I would be infinitely better off than I am now.

Sorry if im bringing this up again but thats awful, i was really considering this course, what are you doing now?

I have applied for apprenticeships with air atlanta and ryanair now

Sorry if im bringing this up again but thats awful, i was really considering this course, what are you doing now?

My advice, stay well away. Try to get into Ryanair or Aer Lingus, because this course is no good. Still no work and I've applied all over the world. Haven't worked since I left the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Shannon Aerospace are not interested in your development as an engineer. They want you to do the few years there and leave so they can keep the sys going with low cost labour. If you are kept on, they have no interest in you holding any higher qualification than an A License. If you are already in Shannon Aerospace, use the opportunity to do all the exams to B1 or B2 standard despite what they say and get your full license. Guys come out of here and into other companies and they're amazed to find out guys their own age in other companies have licenses and approvals under their belt. I've seen really good and hopeless guys coming from here.
    The Ryanair apprenticeship is one of the most recognised and diverse. It is over four years as you are trained to full B1/B2 standard. Most lads come through it with a dual B1/B2 license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

The problem is about ryanair that they are only taking 4 apprentices, atleast that's what is written in fas website. So the chances of getting it is really low.

Advertisement