Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Picnic lineup...what do you think?

• 27-03-2008 6:52pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Well...like it says on the tin...what do you think of the lineup so far?

Is the lineup any good? 156 votes

Useless
    0% 0 votes
    Brilliant
    62% 98 votes
    Atari something something
    37% 58 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No Lost Vagueness (apparently it's gone to commerical for them), that's a big dissapointment and will definatley take from the carnival atmosphere....

No sign of DJ Yoda or Jamie Lidell yet either, hopefully Bodytonic will pull something out of the bag.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

2 bands I want to see. 28 I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I like it. It's not the best lineup ever but I'll have fun. It's not entirely about the bands anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lineup is fairly crap.

about 12 acts i'd be bothered to see, and of them only 5 i haven't seen before, and none of them that i'd really love to see.

not enough quality, far too much mediocrity.

bodytonic and 515 will hopefully save it when they announce their lineups.
    i doubt there'll be any great acts in the rest of the normal EP announcements.

with the overall decline in the festival in the last couple of years, and the lineup as it is, no way is it worth 240+ for a ticket.

personally, i couldn't give a **** about all the other bull**** that's usually on offer, and there's no way i could justify spending €500 on what is basically piss-up for a few days, especially with a sub-par line-up. you could easily get flights, tickets, and spending money to a festival on the continent with a more exciting lineup for pretty much the same cost.

i suppose it's grand if you like to hand over that amount of money to have the craic for the weekend and wander about. personally, i'm not a fan of paying so that there can be cooking workshops and basket weaving classes. i guess EP know at this stage that they can do it and people will still lap it up. a bit like the opposite of what another festival does, keeps people coming back with massive names and quality acts, despite a **** atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Lineup is pretty much what I expected, not the specific artists themselves, just in terms of quality, it's pretty so-so, but there are so many extra things there that'll make it awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Naa with Lost Vagueness gone i dont think I'll even bother,
    Pod and Aiken will have to reef their heads out of their asses and get some decent acts before I even bother to get a ticket for this.

3 days in a field in Stradbally = €250
    6 days on an island in the middle of Budapest = €245

I know which one I'm picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

why are people so upset with no Lost Vagueness???
    do people pay for admission and just sit in LV all day??? Confused...

good lineup (its never 'great'), more pedigree than last year IMO

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a tkt, it'll be brilliant

Regarding 6 days on an island in Budapest...very valid point...but AHEM...factor in travel(flights I assume), transfers, and 3 days more booze/food...at least make the argument balanced...most people comparing EP to these euro-festivals (which are no doubt very good) seem to forget to focus on the associated costs and the difficulties in trying to organising groups to get involved etc...EP despite price hike and 'perceived' lack of music quality its still hugely attractive especially to people who've been before

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Christy Moore is the only person i want to see so far but i got my tickets anyway and will probably hang out in body and soul or the comedy tent.

I hope this year they have a list of names and times of who is playing the in the smaller tents, i missed Bray Vista last year because i couldnt find out where or when they were play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

No Knife or **** Buttons :(

But im still happy enough. I get to tick Sex Pistols and MBV off the list.

Sigor Ross
    Grinderman
    Goldfrapp
    Underworld
    New Young Pony Club
    The Roots
    Conor Oberst
    Foals
    Jape
    Christy Moore

Should all be great. Its really the lower portion of the line up im not so happy with but im sure this will be recitified closer to the date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

One of the Organiser guys said on TV the other night that there would be 173 acts in all for the Festival.
    Not sure weather any more headline acts will be announced but the back end of the line up could be bolstered by some names later in the summer.
    I think last year Sonic youth and the Fall were announced late as well as lots of others, so lets hang in there for a while and see how it pans out,
    you can't please all the people all the time, but some may be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

A poll asking about what we think of the lineup but no lineup linked or pasted?

Nice one.

For all non-psychic people:

2008 INITIAL LINEUP:

Sex Pistols,
    Sigur Ros,
    Franz Ferdinand,
    Gossip,
    Candi Staton,
    George Clinton & The P-Funk Allstars,
    My Bloody Valentine,
    Duffy,
    Grinder Man,
    Goldfrapp,
    Christy Moore,
    Wilco,
    Underworld,
    Tinariwen,
    CSS,
    Tindersticks,
    New Young Pony Club,
    Josh Ritter,
    Lisa Hannigan,
    Cathy Davey,
    That Petrol Emotion,
    The Breeders,
    Michael Franti & Spearhead,
    Sinéad O’ Connor,
    The Roots,
    Kilá,
    Micah P Hinson,
    Hayseed Dixie,
    Juana Molina,
    Turin Brakes,
    Faust, Midnight
    Juggernauts,
    Mark Geary,
    Teitur, Blitzen
    Trapper, Absentee,
    Tartit,
    Conor Oberst,
    Tobias Froberg,
    Boss Volenti,
    Concerto for Constantine,
    Yacht,
    Lionheart Brothers,
    Noisettes,
    Dublin Gospel Choir

I haven't even heard of most of them. This festival has gone really down-hill in the last few years.

Does anyone remember how much the lineup improved last year by the end after the intial lineup was announced?

compare this to the 2006 or 2005 lineup:

2005: FINAL LINEUP

* Kraftwerk
    * Fatboy Slim
    * The Flaming Lips
    * Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    * Röyksopp
    * Mercury Rev
    * Arcade Fire
    * Soulwax / 2 Many DJs
    * Damien Dempsey
    * Lemon Jelly
    * Laurent Garnier
    * Dublin Gospel Choir
    * The Human League
    * LCD Soundsystem
    * Audio Bullys
    * Doves
    * Vitalic
    * JJ72
    * The Rakes
    * Hot Chip
    * Boss Volenti
    * James Blunt
    * Be Your Own Pet
    * Ben Watt
    * Channel One
    * Goldfrapp
    * The Subways
    * The Chalets
    * Clor
    * The Unabombers
    * Mr Scruff
    * De La Soul
    * Stereo MCs
    * DJ Format
    * Mixmaster Mike
    * Matthew Herbert Big Band
    * The Kills
    * Toots and the Maytals
    * The Herbaliser

2006: FINAL LINEUP

* Groove Armada
    * New Order
    * Basement Jaxx
    * Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    * The Frames
    * Massive Attack
    * Bloc Party
    * Pet Shop Boys
    * Josh Ritter
    * Laurent Garnier
    * Rufus Wainwright
    * Elbow
    * Paul Noonan
    * Belle & Sebastian
    * Jape
    * Amadou & Mariam
    * Minotaur Shock [7]
    * Tom Vek
    * Aberfeldy
    * The Archie Bronson Outfit
    * The Swell Season
    * Damien Rice
    * Super Furry Animals
    * Antony and the Johnsons
    * DJ Shadow
    * PJ Harvey [8]
    * Graham Coxon
    * Mogwai
    * Devendra Banhart
    * Sparks [9]
    * Yo La Tengo
    * David Kitt
    * Mundy
    * Broken Social Scene
    * Messiah J & The Expert
    * Dancepig
    * Laura Izibor
    * Tapes 'n Tapes
    * dEUS
    * The Skatalites
    * Cora Venus Lunny
    * Gary Numan
    * The Rapture
    * Hot Chip
    * Tilly and the Wall
    * Saul Williams
    * Soulwax / 2 Many DJ's
    * Tiefschwarz
    * Dublin Gospel Choir
    * Francois K
    * Coldcut
    * Spank Rock
    * Modeselektor
    * Tadhg Cooke
    * Semifinalists
    * Vyvienne Long
    * Gang Of Four
    * Michael Franti
    * David Geraghty
    * Cut Chemist
    * Hystereo
    * Mad Professor
    * Hexstatic
    * Warlords of Pez
    * Nouvelle Vague
    * Zen Hussies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

Perhaps you should change those other years to the initial announcements not the complete lineups. Practically every EP initial announcement has been met with people giving out. Once the Nokia trends, Foggy Notions and Bodytonic lineups get thrown into the mix then will be the time to judge if its worth it.

I think people are just more upset about the quality of the lineup this year because of the unexplained price hike and a coy approach to what the capacity actually is this year. The promoters in the past have been usually very straight about what they're doing in those regards but this year are taking a very standoffish approach which needs to be addressed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Toast wrote: »
    Perhaps you should change those other years to the initial announcements not the complete lineups. Practically every EP initial announcement has been met with people giving out. Once the Nokia trends, Foggy Notions and Bodytonic lineups get thrown into the mix then will be the time to judge if its worth it.

I think people are just more upset about the quality of the lineup this year because of the unexplained price hike and a coy approach to what the capacity actually is this year. The promoters in the past have been usually very straight about what they're doing in those regards but this year are taking a very standoffish approach which needs to be addressed.

Why has capacity increased again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a terrible line-up, full of has beens and weedy acoustic indie crap. Where's the Electric gone?

€250 for that kind of line-up is robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

lordgoat wrote: »
    Why has capacity increased again this year?

The website had a statement on it before the redesign saying that capacity was going to be the same as 2007 at 35k. However the 2007 website had a statement saying that THAT year the capacity would stay the same as 2006 at 32500. On top of that Im pretty sure the 2006 stated capacity was 30k though I cant find anything official from the promoters to back that up. Personally I think the site was big enough last year to have a couple thousand more people but I dont like the lies.

Toast wrote: »
    The website had a statement on it before the redesign saying that capacity was going to be the same as 2007 at 35k. However the 2007 website had a statement saying that THAT year the capacity would stay the same as 2006 at 32500. On top of that Im pretty sure the 2006 stated capacity was 30k though I cant find anything official from the promoters to back that up. Personally I think the site was big enough last year to have a couple thousand more people but I dont like the lies.

I'd say more people could have been accomodated for but i think it's just he right size, granted i'd prefer less people there but it's still pretty accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

garthv wrote: »
    Naa with Lost Vagueness gone i dont think I'll even bother,
    Pod and Aiken will have to reef their heads out of their asses and get some decent acts before I even bother to get a ticket for this.

3 days in a field in Stradbally = €250
    6 days on an island in the middle of Budapest = €245

I know which one I'm picking.

What's this about a party on an Island in Budapest, Is there something I don't know?????

Tell Me more!!!!

or Roskilde in Denmark:

http://www.roskilde-festival.dk/2008/frontpage/about_the_festival/

€314 for 4 days plus 3 "warm-up" days.

A full week of drinkin and music!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Leinster

garthv wrote: »
    Well...like it says on the tin...what do you think of the lineup so far?

Not up to scratch. I'm sure you're happy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Leinster

Pretty damn awful line-up this year. A couple of good acts alright. But hardly worth paying €246.50 :eek: for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

seems good enough for me :D

for those that reckon the line-up interests them, can you recommend some of the artists. I might listen to them and see what I think before picking up a ticket.

quarryman wrote: »
    for those that reckon the line-up interests them, can you recommend some of the artists. I might listen to them and see what I think before picking up a ticket.

Wilco (Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), Sigur Rós (Takk), My Bloody Valentine (Loveless)
    Grinderman (Grinderman), Tobias Froberg (not sure if he has an album, -myspace)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

quarryman wrote: »

Sigur Ros - Takk, ()
    Grinderman - Grinderman
    Goldfrapp - Black Cherry, Felt Mountain or Seventh Tree
    New Young Pony Club - Fantastic Playroom
    The Roots - Tipping Point
    Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes) - Im Wide Awake Its Morning, Cassadega, Fevers and Mirrors
    Foals - Antidotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Some good stuff there: THE BREEDERS would definetly be the star attraction!!!!:D:D Kim Deal = Goddess!!!
    I've always wanted to see CSS live...Lovefoxxx is my hot hot sex! (see what i did there?:))
    Goldfrapp, Duffy, Cathy Davey, Franz, Grinderman and The Gossip should all be class too.
    And Tinariwen....they sound cool!!!

I....am excited

that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

Weres the electric acts? What's the story? :crying alot: :(

Gary Numan, he's fairly electric isnt he? Anyway, I think they're trying to cut down on the electricity bill, the environment etc :) Come to think of it maybe they should rename the festival, 'Renewable Energy Picnic' or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SRFC Ultras

Regarding 6 days on an island in Budapest...very valid point...but AHEM...factor in travel(flights I assume), transfers, and 3 days more booze/food...at least make the argument balanced...most people comparing EP to these euro-festivals (which are no doubt very good) seem to forget to focus on the associated costs and the difficulties in trying to organising groups to get involved etc...EP despite price hike and 'perceived' lack of music quality its still hugely attractive especially to people who've been before

If I'm going by last year in which I done by Sziget and EP then spending money wish overall it worked out at around the same, probably more for Sziget but not by much for a fair superior festival in every way than EP

Booked to go again this year
    Tickets €100
    Flights €170
    Food and drink money around 300/350 (and the cc should I need it) should easily cover the 6 days. Its a really cheap festival

Advertisement