Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to install a new Hard drive in your Xbox

Options
  • 31-03-2008 5:52pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, follow Longfields excellent softmod and install of XBMC here

Follow the guide until installing the XBMC in step 11. Before XBMC is installed its best to change hard drive. It saves FTPing lots more data then needed.

You will obviously need all the parts mentioned in Longfields guide. Also you will need the EvolutionX (Evox) dash to create a backup of you Xbox drive.

Step 1:
    On your xbox's evox dashboard go to system utils and select backup.
    While this is working away, extract the xboxhdm_v1.9.zip you already have from Longfields guide.
    Now, run your prefered FTP program and connect to your Xbox. Go to your E:\apps\evox\backup and download a file called eeprom.bin to the xboxhdm\linux\eeprom folder on your PCs hard drive. This is where my eeprom.bin file was located. Dig about if yours isnt there.
    Then go to the root of your xbox and download the full contents of the C:\ and E:\ to the xboxhdm\linux folder and overwrite the ones already there.

Step 2:
    Now in the root of the xboxhdm is a file named 'make-iso-win'. You must run make-iso-win and wait for it to finish. Now burn the .iso which was created to a blank CD using whichever burning software you prefer. When it finishes, turn off the PC.

Step 3:
    Disconnect all hard drives from your PC and connect the hard drive which you wish to become your new hard drive to the primary master. Boot up the PC with boot from CD enabled and boot to the CD. You will be given a list of options.

Step 4:
    Choose option 1 and press enter to boot VGA console with xbox-drive utilities. Type 'xboxhd' when asked for a login. Again, choose option1 - Build a new Xbox HD from scratch. It will now begin to format and write the partition table etc. When asked about C:\ E:\ and F:\ type yes, its pretty self explanatory.

At this moment in time you only have an xbox with a different hard drive. It is not softmodded yet.

Step 5:
    Type 'reboot' to reboot the PC. At the moment your hard drive is unlocked so the playing and pausing music technique is unnecessary.
    (im not too sure whether the second CD will suffice here but if it doesnt use the first CD burned at the beginning of Longfields guide)
    When rebooted, choose option 1, and type xbrowser and choose ndure and ndure.txt. Choose option 1 to install ndure. As before this will take about 10-15 mins.

Step 6:
    Now to lock the Hard drive. Reboot the PC and select option 3 to boot linux with locking/unlocking utilities. Type 'lockhd -a'. Type yes to lock it.

You can now continue on to step 11 in Longfields guide and install XBMC on your xxxGb xbox.

Ive tried this on 3 xboxs now and have had no problems at all.

Much credit must go to Longfield for without his guide, id have alot more typing to do, and probably alot harder time modding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nice, thanks. Ill be doing this muchly in the footure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Just to mention, theres a program called chimps which allows you to install a new hd in a softmodded xbox without having to connect it to a pc. Its all done from the xbox and is very handy if you only have a laptop or your pc has no ide connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

That chimps thing looks awful handy to do!

LINK

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Might try chimps out on my last Xbox. Couldnt find the program itself so thanks witnessmenow.

Might try chimps out on my last Xbox. Couldnt find the program itself so thanks witnessmenow.

You need to use something called xbins to download it, just google it, or you could use a torrent site. Some stuff you need to know before you do it, for some reason it only works with the offical xbox controller (dont know why) and secondly it only really works on an xbox thats NOT v1.6. If you have a 1.6 xbox you need to use telnet (i have no idea what this is though).

• Advertisement

And i thought you said it was easy! It just seems to be getting harder and harder as the seconds tick by.
    Actually, its possible as I dont think ive an original Xbox controler.

And i thought you said it was easy! It just seems to be getting harder and harder as the seconds tick by.
    Actually, its possible as I dont think ive an original Xbox controler.

Probably should have said its relatively easy, so long as its not a v1.6 xbox and you can get your hands on an offical controller.

If your pc had no ide connection like mine then this method is still the easiest because the only other alternative is to get your xbox hard modded which is expensive and could fry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

13 euro for a duox2 isnt expensive tbh

Where?

The only thing about modchips is you cant buy them with paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Excellent stuff Black_Knight, just saw this post now, thinking of popping a bigger drive in now myself and following your tutorial :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

I think you can skip the putting evox on your xbox. If you modded your xbox using longfields guide you can do this either.

On unleashX or XBMC go to file browser/manager.

Go to your E:\ndts\ and select default.xbe

An unleashX menu should load up, go to "Backup/Restore"

Hit "Backup eeprom", when thats finished you'll find the eeprom.bin file in E:\NKP11

Then follow the rest of black knights guide

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Thanks for the guide Black_Knight, have a new hard drive in the XBox now with XBMC on it.

Getting a strange bug though, when I create a folder on the F drive, either in FileZilla or file Manager in XBMC, it recursively creates a subset of directories, all with the same name.
    ie I create a folder called F:/videos. This creates a subset of directories all called videos, so the directory structure looks like F:/videos/videos/videos/videos/videos/videos/ etc
    If I copy a directory over from a PC on my network it's fine, but creating a new directory always causes this to happen

Anyone experience the same thing?

Thats a good one now... never come across that. I would of suggested trying a different FTP browser but youve covered that.

Im stumped... Maybe try FTPing from a different PC or laptop. Eliminate your variables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

www.modchipstore.com
    13 euro plus feck all delivery payable through paypal

or flash the TSOP which basically is having a modchip.
    cant be done on a 1.6 though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Thats a good one now... never come across that. I would of suggested trying a different FTP browser but youve covered that.

Im stumped... Maybe try FTPing from a different PC or laptop. Eliminate your variables.
    got it sorted, there's a thread on afterdawn about replacing a hard drive on a softmodded XBox (not sure about linking so I'll leave it out)
    anyway, from that thread
    if your HD is OVER 137 gigs, you'll need to format the remaining space with UnleashX for it to be available once you're finished the upgrade.
    The new hard drive I installed is a 500GB one from komplett.
    So I took XBMC off the XBox, and restored UnleashX from an earlier backup. Used the Format menu to format the F drive, and it seems to have done the job. When I create a folder now, only one folder is created.

Ive see the thread, and ive seen the "if your hard drive is over 137Gb then format it" thing. But each hard drive ive installed has recognised all Gb of it.
    2 250Gb maxtor hard drives, and a 500Gb Maxtor hard drive.

Theres a list of hard drives uses and how they fair out somewhere, but ive not the time to go thrawling through my history to find it.
    Maxtors seem to be generally a good choice.

got it sorted, there's a thread on afterdawn about replacing a hard drive on a softmodded XBox (not sure about linking so I'll leave it out)
    anyway, from that thread

The new hard drive I installed is a 500GB one from komplett.
    So I took XBMC off the XBox, and restored UnleashX from an earlier backup. Used the Format menu to format the F drive, and it seems to have done the job. When I create a folder now, only one folder is created.

I think you still need to use xbox partitioner (i dont think im allowed post links to where to download it). If you dont then as soon as you go over 250GB the data becomes corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

You are correct. You need to format your F:\ partition with XBpartitioner with 32K cluster size.
    As you approach filing data up to 250GB, stuff will just randomly disappear off the drive.

You can run Unleashx as an app of xbmc , put UnleashX in your apps folder and navigate to it in xbmc.

Just aswell if anyones Iso is too big for a cd you dont actually need all of your E drive, Just a folder called "TDATA" and "UDATA". They dont even need to contain anything. If you want to keep your game saves there contained in these folders.

Way ahead of ya there witnessmenow. Its just the .xbm (if memory serves me right) file you need to copy isnt it? You can also find the Xbox dash in there somewhere and do the same thing to load up the xbox.

Its very handy, my last xbox wasnt allowing me to enter a static IP in XBMC so i couldnt FTP it. It was freezing everytime I tryed to edit it. So i loaded up Unleash from my Apps folder and its a quick fix.

If anyone has any ideas on a solution other then this im all ears. I might have a minute to try something this weekend but im pretty swamped with moving house at the mo.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You are correct. You need to format your F:\ partition with XBpartitioner with 32K cluster size.
    As you approach filing data up to 250GB, stuff will just randomly disappear off the drive.

So lets say ive put 50Gb of stuff on my Hard drive and all is working fine... when i reach about 250Gb its all gonna start falling to S***?
    Oh shucks!
    Best I found this out now then when ive loads more on it and I start pulling my hair out.

Formating the F: this weekend so.

Correct. better to backup your stuff and run xbpartitioner. Its one of the reasons why I used to only install 250GB HDD in XBOXs.
    FATX, which is the XBOX file system protocol only supports 256GB HDD. It can't address any data above the 256GB limit correctly without bad stuff happening to the data already there.
    XBpartitioner fixes this by formatting the partition with 32K cluster size to let you use 512GB partition, 64K cluster size lets you use 1TB partition.

ongarite wrote: »
    Correct. better to backup your stuff and run xbpartitioner. Its one of the reasons why I used to only install 250GB HDD in XBOXs.
    FATX, which is the XBOX file system protocol only supports 256GB HDD. It can't address any data above the 256GB limit correctly without bad stuff happening to the data already there.
    XBpartitioner fixes this by formatting the partition with 32K cluster size to let you use 512GB partition, 64K cluster size lets you use 1TB partition.

Well if thats the case, 2 of my Xboxes are 250Gb hard drives, so by that logic, they should be ok. I dont need to format them?
    A 3rd one is a 500Gb hard drive, that definatly needs to be formated.

Thanks

Edit: How do you run Xbpartitioner? Through the Xbox as a new dash or application, or from your PC via IDE cables?

They will be fine. No single partition (F:\) is over 256GB, no need to re-format it.

On the 500GB one, you use xbpartitioner to correctly format F:\ so that its 440GB?? size can be addressed correctly as single partition.

The alternative is to have 2 250GB partitions, F & G:\

Way ahead of ya there witnessmenow. Its just the .xbm (if memory serves me right) file you need to copy isnt it? You can also find the Xbox dash in there somewhere and do the same thing to load up the xbox.

Its very handy, my last xbox wasnt allowing me to enter a static IP in XBMC so i couldnt FTP it. It was freezing everytime I tryed to edit it. So i loaded up Unleash from my Apps folder and its a quick fix.

If anyone has any ideas on a solution other then this im all ears. I might have a minute to try something this weekend but im pretty swamped with moving house at the mo.

TBH im not sure, i know the default.xbe (.xbe i think) is the thing you use to actually launch it anyways, prob best to put all the files of the dash in it, not that big anyways.

netscan.exe is very handy too to have , its a free single executable program that scans ip ranges. Great when your trying to ftp an xbox to see if your actually connected to the xbox at all! The best thing to do if your using a router is to click options and then autodetect local ip range, then select your lan cards ip address.

Is it just me or can you not connect to a wireless and a lan connection at the same time? Kinda of annoying!

Is it just me or can you not connect to a wireless and a lan connection at the same time? Kinda of annoying!

Same thing happened with me a while ago, i could never ftp to my xbox when i had wifi on, turned out the LAN and wireless were using the same ip, so just had to change 'em.

@ Ongarite
    Edit: How do you run Xbpartitioner? Through the Xbox as a new dash or application, or from your PC via IDE cables?

Does quoting myself have similar consequences to dividing by zero?

WOW you BSOD my PC by quoting yourself!!

It runs on your XBOX as an app like UnleashX or XBMC.
    Copy it to E:/ and run the XBE.
    First 5 partitions are A: - E:\. DO NOT MESS WITH THEM
    6 and on are the ones you can modify and format.
    Press BACK for options/instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jazzyk

Hi, I just get a blank screen after following this guide.??
    My original xbox HD is softmodded with ndure, unleashX.
    Any ideas???
    No chips installed

• Advertisement

jazzyk wrote: »
    Hi, I just get a blank screen after following this guide.??
    My original xbox HD is softmodded with ndure, unleashX.
    Any ideas???
    No chips installed

When do you get the blank screen? After the whole guide?

Can you FTP your new hard drive?
    Yes: Change the dash it default loads to the UnleashX dash and see does it load.

No: If you connect the HDD to your PC again and load xbrowser you can change it from loading the XBMC dash to load the Unleash dash. (copy and paste the unleash dash)
    Note: In xbrowser the screen on the right is your Xbox, the screen on the left is the CD in your PC itself. As far as I can remember.

Let me know if you can boot up to the UnleashX dash, if so, it sounds like its a problem with XBMC.

As a last option, you could always do it again.

Advertisement