Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injuries on the job

Options
  • 17-04-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

The thread about two stabbed Gardai got me thinking about injuries on the job. I rememeber reading about first chinese Garda, who during her first week of Phase 2 got her jaw broken, in one of the threads someone mentioned a female gardai beaten with her own ASP, which resulted in ruptured splin.

How often do serious injuries happen? And less serious ones? And what happens afterwards? Who pays medical costs? What happens if in the result of injuries you can't get back to work for ages, or ever?

And if the injuries are less serious? For example are you expected to go on the beat with a black eye?

Also, did anyone hear of gardai being infected wit anything due to contramination with soemoenes body fluids, or being pricked with a dirty needle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

ojewriej wrote: »
    How often do serious injuries happen? And less serious ones?

Serious injury happens from time to time. I know an officer who broke his back after a nasty fall while chasing a suspect across a high wall. Similarly I know of a lad who suffered serious injury to his arm after a response car was involved in an accident and wound up on its roof. As regards injury from assaults, again it happens but probably not as often as you might think. Few guys I work with have had broken noses/bones and a few months ago a colleague got hit in the face with a crowbar, tearing a chunk of of his cheek and breaking the bone, while doing a stop on a very nasty individual. Most officers I know, including myself, have been punched, kicked, headbutted and spat on at various times. I've also been bitten, scratched and had a couple of mad people try to stab me....the last being a female with MH issues off her face on drink and medication who slashed her own wrists then tried to do the same to me, which was nice.
    And what happens afterwards? Who pays medical costs? What happens if in the result of injuries you can't get back to work for ages, or ever?

If I'm injured on duty I'm covered through the job (and a small contribution on my part) initially on full pay for 12 months sick and half pay for the following 6 months. I also have private cover through BUPA (they do a good deal for police) and would recommend private cover to anyone in the job who doesn't have it. Its a bit of peace of mind really.
    And if the injuries are less serious? For example are you expected to go on the beat with a black eye?

Ultimately its up to you if you go off sick with a black eye, but most lads I know tend to get on with it.
    Also, did anyone hear of gardai being infected wit anything due to contramination with soemoenes body fluids, or being pricked with a dirty needle?

You'll come into contact with blood, saliva, snot, sh*t, piss, semen as well as body parts/matter and every combination of the above whilst on duty. Not to mention having to be mindful of TB, lice, scabies, worms....the list goes on. First rule is always glove up and always be mindful of sharps. Most smackheads will tell you they've sharps on them, but some deliberately don't. So its up to you to ensure you stay safe. I've had shots for Hepatitis and TB as a precaution.

And I don't personally know any officers who contracted HIV or Hepatitis but I do know a couple that have been pricked with needles. They were rushed to hospital and given immediate treatment which I hear is very unpleasant. Luckily none of em caught anything.

Its scary stuff but with training and experience you'll learn how to work safely and minimise the risks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

good post metman, its basically the same in ireland! Most gardai will get some sort of injury during the job, anything from spraining a muscle while running to getting hit or in an accident or worse! The gardai can go into the garda health insurance scheme and have it taken from their wages which is a very good scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

If its malicious you can claim compensation from the state and your paid while sick.

As Metman said, bruises and cuts, just get on with it. Not even worth charging over.

I know dozens of guys who have been serously injured on duty. Broken bones, shot, stabbed, etc etc.

In a bad period last year 3 were stuck with infected syringes within 2 weeks, one was stabbed and 3 had guns pointed at them (one had it put in his mouth). Then theres injuries through non-assault situations. Crashes, falls, etc.

Thankfully a hell of a lot of it turns out less serious than it could have been. None of those stuck got infected, the stabbing missed a vital area and none of the others were shot. Obviously Garda Sherlock not being counted. The lads in Raheny all survived with only scars to show for it. If you actually looked at all the recorded sick leave, you can see just how many could have been recorded fatalities and how many minor could have been serious injury but for pure blind luck.

The other consideration is how often the mental issue is not considered. Take being bitten or stuck with a syringe. The physical wound might not be much and you might get the all clear but what about the months of worrying and stress? Not just on you but your family and then theres the treatment, those tablets you have to take are no happy pills and thats a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

metman wrote: »

You'll come into contact with blood, saliva, snot, sh*t, piss, semen as well as body parts/matter and every combination of the above whilst on duty. Not to mention having to be mindful of TB, lice, scabies, worms....the list goes on. First rule is always glove up and always be mindful of sharps. Most smackheads will tell you they've sharps on them, but some deliberately don't. So its up to you to ensure you stay safe. I've had shots for Hepatitis and TB as a precaution.

Is it the same in the PSNI? I'm guessing it will be; maybe PSNI can confirm this wishlist for me?! Sounds like a nightmare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Ultravid wrote: »
    Is it the same in the PSNI? I'm guessing it will be; maybe PSNI can confirm this wishlist for me?! Sounds like a nightmare.

Oh yeah he ain't lying... and he was being nice by only listing men. The list for women is different!

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    Oh yeah he ain't lying... and he was being nice by only listing men. The list for women is different!

Surely you don't spend that much time in toilets on the job (not on the toilet!)?

I am actually serious here!

PS I don't see how the list for women could be all that different!

Surely you don't spend that much time in toilets on the job (not on the toilet!)!

LOL god bless your innocence. The blood, saliva, snot, sh*t, piss, semen as well as body parts/matter you'll either have spat at you, aimed at you, come into contact with through helping bleeding/injured/dying/mad people or fighting with nasty sh*t up merchants who don't want to come out of their cells to go to court so cover themselves in their own feces or throw it at you.....or in strip searching idiots who hide things up their backsides (I've even had one with a can of CS up his arse, though cigarettes and matches are also common as are cuff keys.....mostly though its just drugs) you will naturally encounter unpleasantness :pac: The TB, lice, scabies, worms you're most at risk from when dealing with vagrants and crackheads who simply don't wash and don't care about their physical condition. TB is rampant again.

Hep and Hiv....well obvious how you can get those.

LOL god bless your innocence. The blood, saliva, snot, sh*t, piss, semen as well as body parts/matter you'll either have spat at you, aimed at you, come into contact with through helping bleeding/injured/dying people or fighting with nasty sh*t up merchants who don't want to come out of their cells to go to court so cover themselves in their own feces or throw it at you.....or in strip searching idiots who hide things up their backsides (I've even had one with a can of CS up his arse, though cigarettes and matches are also common as are cuff keys.....mostly though its just drugs) you will naturally encounter unpleasantness :pac: The TB, lice, scabies, worms you're most at risk from when dealing with vagrants and crackheads who simply don't wash and don't care about their physical condition. TB is rampant again.

Hep and Hiv....well obvious how you can get those.

That's disgusting. You've put me right off. Permanently.

PSNI, is it really so bad over here in Ulster?

Think I'll give it a miss. I can do without that sh*t! (Excuse the pun.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

PSNI, is it really so bad over here in Ulster?

It's the same the world over I'm afriad. metman speaks the sad truth.

Well forewarned is fore-armed. If this kind of thing is off-putting to you then best you think about it now as opposed to when you're asked to strip-search a violent crackhead who's been brought in for say public order/assault while off his face and possibly has contraband up his crevice. You won't do this kind of search on you're own, usually it'll be you and you're oppo, but your oppo will be depending on you to back him/her up and preferably not drop your bottle at the first whiff of....unpleasantness!

• Advertisement

Well forewarned is fore-armed. If this kind of thing is off-putting to you then best you think about it now as opposed to when you're asked to strip-search a violent crackhead who's been brought in for say public order/assault while off his face and possibly has contraband up his crevice. You won't do this kind of search on you're own, usually it'll be you and you're oppo, but your oppo will be depending on you to back him/her up and preferably not drop your bottle at the first whiff of....unpleasantness!
    I guess the officer who lets his fellow officer do the dirty work every time would be quickly noticed and not appreciated. Are there 'hands-off' types in the police, and if so, how do they get by? Don't you need medical training to do cavity searches anyway?

I wouldn't be prepared to carry out the search you just described. Therefore I couldn't be a police officer! I think I'll leave you guys to it. I've come to the conclusion that my attraction to police work is rather shallow, and based on a desire to do the 'glamourous' stuff, mainly highways policing, not the dirty jobs and the less desirable tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

I've been head-butted, had my ear bitten and broke my elbow.

Not bad for 18 months service :D

I've been head-butted, had my ear bitten and broke my elbow.

Not bad for 18 months service :D

Yeah but thats only the locker room! :D

I guess the officer who lets his fellow officer do the dirty work every time would be quickly noticed and not appreciated. Are there 'hands-off' types in the police, and if so, how do they get by? Don't you need medical training to do cavity searches anyway?

Cavity searches are carried out by a forensic medical examiner/doctor. Police officers do not do this type of search. However you will do strip searches (well we do) regularly which involves getting people to squat, bend over etc in order to give you a 'view down the barrel' if you will.

Not sure about hands-off types, but I know a few less than proactive types when it comes to this kind of thing. Usually once identified as a bit gun shy, the Skipper will 'volunteer' said person for every search until they show a little more gusto. Generally its just an accepted part of the job and I haven't worked with anyone that saw it as an issue.

Similarly I've had to take someone's dna by force once, which involved pulling hairs from his head while he was kicking off and being restrained by 4 other officers, similarly taking fingerprints by force is a pain as well. Neither of these procedures are pleasant for the suspect or for the police but you just have to get on with it. I'm always very suspicious when someone refuses dna/prints here as it makes me wonder what else they've been up to, so you keep that in mind and get on with it. In this respect sex offenders, burglars etc have been identified and further arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

ok my list is

blood spat in my face
    spit.
    ive had **** and a fridge thrown at me.
    gotten hit with a baton ( i was in plain clothes at the time another member though i was a gouger)

hit with a brick
    full bottle of coke hit me.

and ive been pepper sprayed twice ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

gotten hit with a baton ( i was in plain clothes at the time another member though i was a gouger)

Not laughing at your misfortune, but what were ya doing that merited a batoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

i was blending in wit the crowd.;).. it was warrented though and in the reverse situation id have done the same thing. i laugh about it now though

.....and broke my elbow.

Ouch! Is that going to affect your probation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Ouch! Is that going to affect your probation?

No, thank Science. I have made a full recovery, and was only out of action for 2 months.

And by jaysus, it was a long 2 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

However you will do strip searches (well we do) regularly which involves getting people to squat, bend over etc in order to give you a 'view down the barrel' if you will.

i bet you thought Astronomy was the only career where star gazing was mandatory :D

lads, all jokes aside i say well done. any other career people would take a month off for a simple bruise. you guys have to get up, shrug it off, and get back to work. not many people could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I've been

Kicked,
    Headbutted,
    Punched,
    Spat,
    Hit with a stick,
    Driven at
    Threatened to murder me at home.

The worst was been headbutted and bitten by an intravenous drug user.That was a scary row that turned into some thing way out of hand. I was blood tested for 6 months.

I got jumped one night while walking thru a park with a banner. Three lads tried to knock me to the ground. I got punched in the face numerous times, my nose spouted blood. They did there best to knock me but i knew if i went down it was curtains. The banner (female Garda) called for assistance and they ran away. I went on my break and picked my gf up in town who was out. She was horrified when she got in the car with me. I didnt tell her what happened but unknown to me my eye and nose had swelled up.

Try and lie your way out of that!

They are the downsides to the job but i love it.

Banner = female Garda

yayamark wrote: »
    I've been

Kicked,
    Headbutted,
    Punched,
    Spat,
    Hit with a stick,
    Driven at

That sounds a lot like what some kids will have received from their classmates by the time they reach their 12th birthday!

I got jumped one night while walking thru a park with a banner. Three lads tried to knock me to the ground. I got punched in the face numerous times, my nose spouted blood. They did there best to knock me but i knew if i went down it was curtains. The banner called for assistance and they ran away.
    What is a banner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Does banner = bangarda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Yes sorry should have made that clear.

Banner is Garda speak amongst ourselves.

Yes sorry should have made that clear.

Banner is Garda speak amongst ourselves.

What is that an Irish thing or something - what does it mean?

I thought you were saying you were a PSNI officer parading through a park with a banner - now that is asking for trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Its slang, from the days of female officers being called Ban Gardas meaning woman garda, officers called them banners for short.

Thats where the term banner comes from

Oh and this guy is in the guards not psni

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

opti76 wrote: »
    ok my list is

blood spat in my face
    spit.
    ive had **** and a fridge thrown at me.

hit with a brick
    full bottle of coke hit me.

and ive been pepper sprayed twice ...
    I've been

Kicked,
    Headbutted,
    Punched,
    Spat,
    Hit with a stick,
    Driven at

The worst was been headbutted and bitten by an intravenous drug user.That was a scary row that turned into some thing way out of hand. I was blood tested for 6 months.

I got jumped one night while walking thru a park with a banner. Three lads tried to knock me to the ground. I got punched in the face numerous times, my nose spouted blood. They did there best to knock me but i knew if i went down it was curtains. The banner (female Garda) called for assistance and they ran away. I went on my break and picked my gf up in town who was out. She was horrified when she got in the car with me. I didnt tell her what happened but unknown to me my eye and nose had swelled up.

Try and lie your way out of that!

They are the downsides to the job but i love it.

Banner = female Garda

Ah for crap sake.

I have only been hit with a golf club and it was a bloody 9 iron too. Judge said I could keep it. I said a few more domestics and I'll have the full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

OOO dont tell CAB, thats proceeds of crime isnt it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

The banner (female Garda) called for assistance and they ran away

right I see now what our taxes are paying for... surely she has a baton too ?

• Advertisement

Phototoxin wrote: »
    right I see now what our taxes are paying for... surely she has a baton too ?

What are mine paying for? Me presumable :p

Advertisement