Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

censorship on the politics forum

Options
  • 21-04-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hello there

I would like to report that I believe that a moderator of the politics forum, OscarBravo, is abusing his powers of moderation. This abuse of power is in my opinion, driven by his own political views.

I posted this thread, highlighting political corruption that has been in the very recent news, in relation to the irish eu referendum.

OscarBravo has arbitrarily closed this thread, stating his political views and then directing all further conversation on the matter to the very large referendum on lisbon thread.

I am saying that this is highly unfair and inappropriate, seeing as the the eu treaty is something that potentiates vast discussion in a myriad of areas. For a moderator to insist that all discussion on all aspects of the treaty be lumped into one very long mega thread is without doubt NOT CONDUCIVE to open and ongoing discussion. This is even more ridiculous when you see that the US elections, which are far less relevant to Ireland and Europe, has a Forum of its own with as many threads as you like!!

I am asking that my thread be re-opened and that a directive be given that individual threads discussing the many different aspects of the eu treaty be allowed to continue without this restriction, which amounts to a form censorship.

Many Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

the politics board seems to be a tad right wing conservative and the main views therein seems to change with the wind, and follow whatever happens to be the current trend of popular thinking. I wouldnt take it too seriously if I were you as its not really that political in content .

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

"Megathreads" are very common on many large forums across the entire Internet.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What political views did I state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What political views did I state?
    "You are wrong", it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

jessop1 wrote: »
    For a moderator to insist that all discussion on all aspects of the treaty be lumped into one very long mega thread is without doubt NOT CONDUCIVE to open and ongoing discussion.
    Why not?
    This is even more ridiculous when you see that the US elections, which are far less relevant to Ireland and Europe, has a Forum of its own with as many threads as you like!!
    Request a forum then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Sherifu wrote: »
    Why not?

Request a forum then.

Clicky, just to make it easier :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JOHNSPILLANE

Oscar Bravo is always censoring that forum. Well he is government paid, so what do you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

iamhunted wrote: »
    the politics board seems to be a tad right wing conservative

The Politics mods were accused of being anti-government (i.e. pro-FG/Labour aka more leftist than conservative) in the run-up to the current election.

Jessop1, I don't believe you. YOU SHOULD HAVE TYPED IN CAPS IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Oscar Bravo is always censoring that forum. Well he is government paid, so what do you expect.

I <3 Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yo Spillane, can we try and keep this from turning into a mess again. OP the mod did the right thing imo. Your past experiences with him are clouding your judgement imo.

EDIT: I don't see the problem in the mod posting information regarding the treaty in rebutting your argument.

• Advertisement

And you're new around here.

Oh yes, in answer to your PM question: I am the bitch that banned you from Politics. Why, was there a danger of you contributing something of value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah you're such a bitch Oscar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And you're new around here.

Oh yes, in answer to your PM question: I am the bitch that banned you from Politics. Why, was there a danger of you contributing something of value?
    lol.

I'm with Ibid, I really do <3 Feedback. Best forum on the interweb.

In regards to the op's complaint, in fairness I can only imagine that there's loads of Lisbon Treaty related threads that have been created and covering the exact same things, so keeping them in the one thread. But maybe someone should put in for a subforum to be created? There's a lot of points to be cleared up on the Treaty and having to trawl through a 749 post thread is a little daunting.

humanji wrote: »
    In regards to the op's complaint, in fairness I can only imagine that there's loads of Lisbon Treaty related threads that have been created and covering the exact same things, so keeping them in the one thread. But maybe someone should put in for a subforum to be created? There's a lot of points to be cleared up on the Treaty and having to trawl through a 749 post thread is a little daunting.
    If I thought there was any chance of some reasonable discussion, I might consider it. The US Election subforum contains a number of diverse posters with varying opinions on all the assorted candidates.

The Lisbon thread consists mostly of lies and distortions, mostly from the No camp, and rebuttals from one or two posters, notably Scofflaw. If there was a subforum it would consist entirely of threads like the one jessop1 started, where he isn't interested in a discussion on the facts, but simply wants to push an agenda.

Ibid wrote: »
    The Politics mods were accused of being anti-government (i.e. pro-FG/Labour aka more leftist than conservative) in the run-up to the current election.

"pro-FG/Labour aka more leftist than conservative" - in your world maybe. In real life those two are still pretty right wing.

The Lisbon thread consists mostly of lies and distortions, mostly from the No camp, and rebuttals from one or two posters, notably Scofflaw. If there was a subforum it would consist entirely of threads like the one jessop1 started, where he isn't interested in a discussion on the facts, but simply wants to push an agenda.

do the old boards politics thing there and provide some backing of your claims of " lies and distortions, mostly from the No camp" - considering most people cant make heads nor tails of that treaty nevermind work out what are lies and distortions.

Good man oscar! You've proved to me with that statement exactly what jessop1 was talking about! nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

setmypeoplefree.jpg

do the old boards politics thing there and provide some backing of your claims of " lies and distortions, mostly from the No camp" - considering most people cant make heads nor tails of that treaty nevermind work out what are lies and distortions.
    Why would I bother? Are you interested in a discussion?

Case in point: there was a thread on this topic on Conspiracy Theories, where I pointed out that the "End of Nations" video was packed with lies in the first three minutes alone. Mahatma coat challenged me on this, so I watched the first three minutes again and listed twelve lies and inaccuracies. Strangely enough, Mahatma coat lost all interest in discussing it after that.
    Good man oscar! You've proved to me with that statement exactly what jessop1 was talking about! nice one.
    It's amazing what constitutes proof, when you set your standards low enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you couldn't pay me to mod politics. Tech Fora is bad enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is even more ridiculous when you see that the US elections, which are far less relevant to Ireland and Europe, has a Forum of its own with as many threads as you like!!

Ha, thats not even the half of it :D

http://www.indecision2008.com

Besides the forum made sense considering the entire election campaign has been going on for over a year already with another year to go. How long is this Lisbon Treaty going to be on the table? hmm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i fully agree with jessop and in fact myself and ALOT of others have fecked off to politics.ie because of the facist tactics of oscar bravO and his mate tristrame.

if ANYONE is in doubt just take a cursory glance of how often he jumps in to threads for no reason whatsover just to lord it over people . indeed he's closed threads , such as the tribunal one, on spurious grounds THREE TIMES !

the persons a clear example of "god complex" and the quicker this is addressed the faster genuine debate can resume on the politics board. as it stands its way, WAY behind on P.ie.

I feel a tagline change coming on.

constitutionus, not being allowed to get your own way all the time isn't fascism.

Why would I bother? Are you interested in a discussion?

Case in point: there was a thread on this topic on Conspiracy Theories, where I pointed out that the "End of Nations" video was packed with lies in the first three minutes alone. Mahatma coat challenged me on this, so I watched the first three minutes again and listed twelve lies and inaccuracies. Strangely enough, Mahatma coat lost all interest in discussing it after that. It's amazing what constitutes proof, when you set your standards low enough.

hang on - are you telling me you CAN prove these spurious lies people are apparently coming out with? Good man yerself there! A lesser God couldnt! (BTW - you cant though. Im sorry to have to break it to you)

And yes, its true about proof - but really a point was brought up about the way you can, should we say, be flippant about things? - and then on que ...there you were being flippant about the No camp ... perfect timing oscar, perfect timing. I applaud your impecible timing in this regard. well done.

abusing your power is. many many people have been banned from politics under dubvious circumstances and no ones ever been called on it.

how come its always YOU doing the banning? theres other mods on politics and TBH i cant actually recall the last time any of them did the deed.

your a little hitler, youve been caught by the bollock, and here you are crying foul.

i wont come back to your disgusting little realm its so offensively biased, but i'll happily back up the claims of the OP. because theyre the truth.

your pushing your political agenda and for a mod to abuse their powers to remove dissenting voices thats unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

your pushing your political agenda and for a mod to abuse their powers to remove dissenting voices thats unacceptable.

If there's proof of this (though I certainly don't doubt constitutionus) then the admins should really look into it as it's something that shouldn't be tolerated in a forum such as politics.

I'm sitting on the fence though because I don't use the forum often, and when I do it's mere lurking.

hang on - are you telling me you CAN prove these spurious lies people are apparently coming out with? Good man yerself there! A lesser God couldnt! (BTW - you cant though. Im sorry to have to break it to you)
    Go read the Lisbon thread and come back to me if you have something interesting to say.
    And yes, its true about proof - but really a point was brought up about the way you can, should we say, be flippant about things? - and then on que ...there you were being flippant about the No camp ... perfect timing oscar, perfect timing. I applaud your impecible timing in this regard. well done.
    Did I say something that's untrue? If so, please point it out.
    abusing your power is. many many people have been banned from politics under dubvious circumstances and no ones ever been called on it.
    And yet, shockingly, you haven't cited any examples.
    how come its always YOU doing the banning? theres other mods on politics and TBH i cant actually recall the last time any of them did the deed.
    What's your point?
    your a little hitler, youve been caught by the bollock, and here you are crying foul.
    I'm not the one crying here. I'm actually laughing out loud.

If you really feel I've done something wrong, go find some examples, bring them to the admins and ask them to de-mod me. Go on, I dare you.

In the immortal words of Mr Blond: are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite?
    i wont come back to your disgusting little realm its so offensively biased, but i'll happily back up the claims of the OP. because theyre the truth.
    Oh please come back to us, please! I'm on my knees here!!

Not.
    What political agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's a pretty wide spread of political opinion between the politics mods in as much as I know my co-mods political beliefs. We're certainly not a FF, FG, Labour, PD, EU or Chinese cabal as we are often collectively accused of.

If people are too idiotic to realise the difference between debate and pontification that's not our problem.

rb_ie wrote: »
    If there's proof of this (though I certainly don't doubt constitutionus) then the admins should really look into it as it's something that shouldn't be tolerated in a forum such as politics.

I'm sitting on the fence though because I don't use the forum often, and when I do it's mere lurking.

thats all ive been doing for the last couple of months to keep abreast of things. in a strange way comparing P.ie and our politics forum is like an online version of the mail vs the sindo. im only here to support the OP who had a valid complaint in his treatment.

by the way oscar bravo. done. i made the complaint like you asked. i presume an administator will be in contact in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

a) Nice Godwin

b) to be a little hitler, you'd have to be very small indeed. Wasn't he a bit of a dwarf himself

also constitutionus - politics.ie?! that is the most-biased discussion forum i think i've ever had the misfortune to read. at least debate on our politics forum is kind of non-biased. although nearly all political discussion makes me a little bit sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

a) Nice Godwin

b) to be a little hitler, you'd have to be very small indeed. Wasn't he a bit of a dwarf himself

I think he was saying "a little hitler" as in "you're a little bit Hitlerish". You know, like an adjective. It's still a case of Godwin's law but it means your point b) above isn't really relevant. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement