Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why 'piercing guns' should never be used

Options
  • 05-05-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

A situation arose recently here on the forum where supposedly a person used a piercing gun to pierce someone's ear lobes. Here I am going to outline as best I can and as simply as I can why guns and home piercing kits should never be used.

Piercing Guns: These instruments of doom are bad for so many reasons

- They cannot be put in an autoclave and cleaned because they are generally made out of cheap plastic. Therefore they are not sterile and not safe for piercing people with because bacteria may be present in/on the instrument. This is bad

- They have too many moving parts, again cannot be cleaned efficiently in an autoclave. This is bad

- Piercing guns use brute force to 'pierce' the lobe. It forces itself through the opening very roughly compared to a standard blade which glides through. The blade that they have in them is not as sharp as a standard blade (one time use) used by a professional piercer. If a gun is used on your lobe expect bruising and scar tissue at the very least, not to mention a nasty infection. This is bad

- Piercing guns come pre-loaded with poor quality jewelry generally unsuitable for lobe piercings. Unsuitable because it is not implant grade titanium or other such material. Again they come pre-loaded with default inferior quality jewelry. Everyone does not have a standard lobe, everyone's is different. If your lobe is thicker than the default jewelry being used your ear will literally 'swallow' the jewelry. This will cause discomfort and a trip to either a professional piercing studio or the local hospital along with some anti-biotics. This is bad, very bad

- Piercing & tattoo studios don't buy autoclaves for the fun of it. They are used for a reason. To eliminate potential microbes and diseases (eg. aids amongst other things) from re-usable instruments. If you use a piercing gun on someone you could potentially be infecting them.
    Following is taken from the BMEzine wiki -
    In terms of body modifications, it is very important that all jewelry, needles, hooks, and other tools that may penetrate the skin or tissue are sterilized and autoclaved. Always make sure when getting a desired modification that all tools used are either new (many artists will take them out of the packaging in your presence) or appropriately sterilized, and that the studio has and uses an autoclave appropriately. Taking these measures will minimize your risk of exposure to these devastating diseases.
    This is bad

- Wearing a pair of latex/nitrile gloves is useless unless you have received proper training in combatting blood borne pathogens, cross contamination techniques and even first aid. If you put on a pair of gloves then lets say, touch the wall. The gloves are no longer sterile/clean. You have touched something that is not clean, if you go on to pierce someone's ear, the next thing you touch (gun/blade/needle) is now also contaminated. This is bad

- Piercing guns should never be used, lobes are barely acceptable. If you have the amazing idea of piercing through cartilage with a gun the effects will be worse. Ear collapse will most likely occur at the minimum. This is bad

- In short, getting a piercing done by a piercer in a guaranteed safe, clean and professional manner may cost a bit of money. (around €30 for both lobe piercings, not that much for peace of mind) It is a hell of a lot cheaper than a trip to your local hospital to be put on anti-biotics or worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

my lobes were done with gun in a local jewelers when i was 8, they use sterling silver and..8crt gold there afair. got a second pair when i was 16, same technique. Luckily enough I never got any infections, but I remember mates of mine in school used to get severe lobe infections...

my mate also had her nose done with a gun, that got infected too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

I remember being put off getting my lobes pierced for YEARS when I was small because I had watched my aunt dig a stud out of my cousin's lobie with a pair of tweezers. The stud was ridiculously tiny and was completely swallowed by the swelling, to the point where the ear had begun to grow over the front of it. Yeah, guns = bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I've had my ears done 3 seperate times with a gun....to this day, I can't wear earrings for any length of time. The 2nd time I awoke to find only one of my gold studs was visible, it had gone inside the piercing. Off to the doc I went to get it popped out....damn guns :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My gf had her nose done twice by a gun... I was shocked and disgusted that someone would do that to another person!!!

Not to mention that the big earring studs just look silly in a nose:) ...wait a sec, I just thought of something - those earrings have a pointy back - they'd be scratching your septum constantly! Owww... And the nose is not a clean place... Guns just sound worse every time I think about them...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Mate of mine got his nipples done with a gun a long while back--in Fibbers no less--there was a bloke piercing anyone who wanted it done with no thoughts as to contamination at all.It didnt so much pierce the nipple,more kinda bunched up the tissue behind it and made a right mess of it altogether.

Worst part was he couldnt get the studs out for week-he was in agony for months after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not to mention that the big earring studs just look silly in a nose:) ...wait a sec, I just thought of something - those earrings have a pointy back - they'd be scratching your septum constantly! Owww... And the nose is not a clean place... Guns just sound worse every time I think about them...
    Ah i since got her proper nose piercing jewellery, something like this:
    31HlWarRNFL._jewelry-buying-guides_.jpg

And Hellrazer that sounds like a nightmare scenario :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I remember being put off getting my lobes pierced for YEARS when I was small because I had watched my aunt dig a stud out of my cousin's lobie with a pair of tweezers. The stud was ridiculously tiny and was completely swallowed by the swelling, to the point where the ear had begun to grow over the front of it. Yeah, guns = bad...

When I was young and naive I had my nose done with a gun. After weeks of near constant nose bleeds I went to the doctor who had to cauterize my nose. The stud had ripped my nose to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Mate of mine got his nipples done with a gun a long while back--in Fibbers no less--there was a bloke piercing anyone who wanted it done with no thoughts as to contamination at all.It didnt so much pierce the nipple,more kinda bunched up the tissue behind it and made a right mess of it altogether.

Worst part was he couldnt get the studs out for week-he was in agony for months after that.

I think we might know the same person. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I think we might know the same person. :D

This is going back at least 8-10 years.
    Good old Fibbers upstairs--you couldnt beat it back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Yeah I was around then, precocious little scamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Original_Sin

One of my housemates had his nipple pierced wiv a gun, i truely felt his pain when he told me about it

But... but... but why?! The stud from the ear piercing gun looks dreadful! From the front (eg on an ear lobe) it looks acceptable, but through a nipple? Yeah, THAT's attractive!

(The image is from the BME review of gun piercings, by the way - http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20030509.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Yep, youth and stupidity usually are the main ingredients for a gun piercing.

11 > lobes
    12 > 2nd hole in lobes
    13 > 3rd hole in lobes
    14 > helix (yes cartilage, yes shattered, yes ouch ouch ouch)
    15 > navel (yes most ridiculous idea ever ever ever)

Finally learned my lesson after I had to get my navel stretched to fit even the most basic of jewelery, stupid fool stretched a fresh piercing.....rip rip rip....argh!!!

Wilburt wrote: »
    If you have the amazing idea of piercing through cartilage with a gun the effects will be worse. Ear collapse will most likely occur at the minimum.

I have the cartilage on my left ear pierced twice.. with a GUN... and I have yet to experience this.. ear collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Lucky you :)
    Wonder if it is pierced at the right gauge... long may it remain trouble free

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

i have 5 things in each ear, the rook and tragus are the only ones i got done with needles. ive 3 lobes and 2 high up cartilage done with the gun, but the person that did the top of my ear messed it up big time and sorta shattered it, and i have a keloid cyst, it was injected to make it smaller which worked but its still a shame...its my own fault, what with being 12... all other body piercing are donw with a needle.

Wilburt wrote: »
    Wonder if it is pierced at the right gauge...

I don't know what that means! :confused::D

I am referring to the thickness of the barbell (or whatever other jewelry you may have in there) in your cartilage. If the gauge/thickness is too small it may cause cheese cutter effect, but upon looking on the wiki seems its only common in ear lobes and nipples

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Cheese-cutter_Effect

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

Guns are bad indeed! I got my eyebrow destroyed by one years ago, the jewelery decided it wanted to dissappear into my eyebrow->short bar+pinched up eybrow= nasty pliers incident:(:D ...of course eybrow piercings just dont seem to stick with me anyway, lost two more due to an MRI scan...D'oh!

• Advertisement

They don't seem to stick with lots of people since there's nothing much holding them in place and always has pressure on the top ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xXxhotstuff xXx

iv had my ear pierced three times with a gun and have never had any problems.. i was going to get my nose pierced with a gun too but the piercing studio told me they dont use a one as they cannot clean it so i got it done with a needle.. i am going to get my ears pierced a good few more times and dont see any reason why i shouldnt get them done with a gun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

lol guns = root of evil ... bad bad bad idea.. nuf said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

i am going to get my ears pierced a good few more times and dont see any reason why i shouldnt get them done with a gun!!

Well, see here's the thing. Wilburt has posted some potential risks in the first post of this thread. Of course, maybe Wilburt is just another idiot on the Internet, so if you can go through every single one of his posts and come up with a sound refutation of them then you can reasonably argue against him.

If you can't, then maybe what he's saying is worth listening too.

Considering that you yourself said they can't be cleaned, I think the latter would seem more likely than the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

a good friend of mine told me a horror story of a guy who, completely intoxicated, went into georges arcade and got both eyebrows, both nipples and the the web of both hid thumbs pierced with a gun. Mind you he told me this while he was doing my dermals so weather he was tellin me that as a joke.......or theres some poor ****er out there with no nipples still remains to be seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Mind you he told me this while he was doing my dermals so weather he was tellin me that as a joke
    Well, that's very much in line with a the sense of humour of one piercer I know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

i think it was a true story!!
    he said that this guy, who was a friend of his,travelled all the up to him in belfast, still pissed, and bleeding heavily from his tits begging for his help!! i just had to laugh!! Apparently, the gon cudnt pierce his nipple properly, the stud just ripped right through!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

i think it was a true story!!
    he said that this guy, who was a friend of his,travelled all the up to him in belfast, still pissed, and bleeding heavily from his tits begging for his help!! i just had to laugh!! Apparently, the gon cudnt pierce his nipple properly, the stud just ripped right through!!

Bleurgh!!! A mate of mine got her bellybutton done in there with the gun years ago when we were still in school (we were 13 BTW) and the day it was done it was horrible, next day there was blood pus and gore, whole surrounding area was roaring red, by the end of the week she could barely go from standing to sitting it was so painful. The skin had started growing over the tiny stud in it and she ended up having to go to A&E they had to cut it out! She ended up on a week long course of antibiotics to clear up the horrible infection she got and a horribly scarred navel.

Toots85 wrote: »
    Bleurgh!!! A mate of mine got her bellybutton done in there with the gun years ago when we were still in school (we were 13 BTW) and the day it was done it was horrible, next day there was blood pus and gore, whole surrounding area was roaring red, by the end of the week she could barely go from standing to sitting it was so painful. The skin had started growing over the tiny stud in it and she ended up having to go to A&E they had to cut it out! She ended up on a week long course of antibiotics to clear up the horrible infection she got and a horribly scarred navel.

If ever there was a reason to not use a gun the above is one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

well heres a little story.

I have my cartilage, tragus and lobe done with a gun.

With my cartilage it was sooo sore after, like actual AGONY if any1 touched off it.

my tragus is still rele rele rele swollen.

my lobe is all lumpy.

STAY AWAY FROM GUNS! PLEEASE!

Advertisement