Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what date is the warriors run on at?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

cheers thinking of doing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Sunday 24th august 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

thanks ch, where did you get that from, don.t doubt u but couldnt find it on website

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ànyone know which direction they're going this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sueme wrote: »
    Up?

And back down again. (Just as important).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

It'll be up and down alright, but it turned right last year (up the Glen) so it'll be turning left up Rathcarrick and back down the Glen to Culleenamore.

Which sucks because it means you've those nice little hills coming into the village to provide a little demotivation in the last couple of miles.

You doing it? Who else? I'm in definitely.

I've done it the last 2 years and I would actually prefer to do it this way... Last year was tough!
    I will be doing it again this year but don't plan on spending too much time training for it.

For the people who don't know: The course changes direction every year - except 2 years ago when they forgot :D

I've done it the last 2 years and I would actually prefer to do it this way... Last year was tough!

I did last year for the first time, it was bloody tough alright, but that was more just a function of me not being fit enough. Planning on going for a much better time this year - ie, actually being fit enough for it.

Try and get in a few dry runs if possible, keep your time also, I wasted too much energy last year on my way up to the mountain by starting too fast and was wake for the second half of the run.

• Advertisement

I know the feeling. I actually did most of the road section the Tuesday prior to it pretty handily, which was probably too much too close to the day. I pretty muched bonked a couple of clicks from the start line, and ran/walk/ran/walk the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

For the people who don't know: The course changes direction every year
    Does it? I've done it for the past 6 or 7 years and it has always turned right at the top of the village except 2 years ago when it was clockwise:confused:

daveboy01 wrote: »
    Does it? I've done it for the past 6 or 7 years and it has always turned right at the top of the village except 2 years ago when it was clockwise:confused:

Only did it last year, but that was the impression I was under. My sister did a few years ago (6-8 years at a guess) when it went clockwise. Maybe the alternation is a new thing.

I was sitting on the wall beside the canon in Strandhill today, eating a huge ice-cream, looking up at Knocknarea, and all I can say is...

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

must try and do this this year, like to challange, and put my body through suffering now and again

:D

Is this a sponsored run? We (I mean ye!) could maybe make a few bob for charity. Boardsies running/crawling for a local charity? If you healthy people were up for it, I wouldn't mind doing the admin side.

Any of you interested?

Is this a sponsored run? We (I mean ye!) could maybe make a few bob for charity. Boardsies running/crawling for a local charity? If you healthy people were up for it, I wouldn't mind doing the admin side.

Any of you interested?

i dont know if its linked to any charitys, if not though, cant see any problem in people doing it for charity, although i was to do it for charity, i'd be doing it for the NW or letterkenny hospice, or the irish cancer society

irish-stew wrote: »
    i dont know if its linked to any charitys, if not though, cant see any problem in people doing it for charity, although i was to do it for charity, i'd be doing it for the NW or letterkenny hospice, or the irish cancer society

+1 Hospice

sobriquet wrote: »
    Only did it last year, but that was the impression I was under. My sister did a few years ago (6-8 years at a guess) when it went clockwise. Maybe the alternation is a new thing.

Supposedly it does, it changed last year, but I don't think it had changed the previous 2 years.

Is this a sponsored run? We (I mean ye!) could maybe make a few bob for charity. Boardsies running/crawling for a local charity?
    Generally I don't think people do it for charity, I know loads of people who pretty much do it on a whim. It's too everyday really, not quite a marathon or anything.

Not opposed to the idea at all though, raising a few bob for NW Hospice (or whoever) would be great. It'd be well worthwhile if it was newbs getting into it though, bigger challenge.
    Supposedly it does, it changed last year, but I don't think it had changed the previous 2 years.

Just remembered a former boss of mine is on the organising committee, I'll drop him a line and find out for sure.

• Advertisement

Well if anyone would be interested in doing it for charity let me know.

Its not a marthon or anything?? I would need a helicoptor full of paramedics to get up there, never mind run up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sue, does this mean you're running the race?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is there a bar at the top? Starbucks? Cakes? Fags? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah... hence my confusion.... :P

Definitely clockwise this year.

So facing the mountain with the sea to your back it goes up the burma hill, out toward town, turns at the protestant church and up the back, coming down the glen to culleenamore and into the village and back down to the seafront.

Here's a link to the course route on Google Maps Pedometer. Should be reasonably accurate.

I know loads of people who pretty much do it on a whim. It's too everyday really, not quite a marathon or anything.

Myself and a mate did the Warriors Run last year and the half marathon after and both found the Warriors Run way tougher. So I think anyone doing it on a whim will have a big surprise ahead of them...

Well if anyone would be interested in doing it for charity let me know.

Its not a marthon or anything?? I would need a helicoptor full of paramedics to get up there, never mind run up!

no, just a half marathon up and down a mountain/big hill :D , dont think i'll be doing it for charity sueme (if i do it), already toying with the idea of doing 110km cycle in july for the irish cancer society, will be 5th time in 8 years, but dont think my body will manage both
    Xiney wrote: »
    Sue, does this mean you're running the race?!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is there a bar at the top? Starbucks? Cakes? Fags? I think not.

have heard mccay d's want to open

:rolleyes:

Definitely clockwise this year.

So facing the mountain with the sea to your back it goes up the burma hill, out toward town, turns at the protestant church and up the back, coming down the glen to culleenamore and into the village and back down to the seafront.

Here's a link to the course route on Google Maps Pedometer. Should be reasonably accurate.

not displaying for me properly

:confused:

Myself and a mate did the Warriors Run last year and the half marathon after and both found the Warriors Run way tougher. So I think anyone doing it on a whim will have a big surprise ahead of them...
    I don't disagree, for anyone like myself (bloody ectomorph frame, pfft) it's murder, but I know and have met people (mind you fit types at the same time) who do it without training for it specifically or doing that kind of distance beforehand.
    irish-stew wrote: »
    not displaying for me properly
    Working fine for me, in Firefox 2.0.0.14. Some tiles are missing but the route and elevation data is there fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I dont run but i am reasonably fit. I want to take up running and would like to have something to aim for.

Does anyone think it would be possible for me to complete this race given the timeframe.

Advertisement