Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a recommendation...

Options
  • 12-05-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

looking to book for end of jan - start of feb 09 with the below requirements, id appreciate any recommendations going for a good resort...

- shortish transfer (max 2 hrs)
    - high altitude / good snow
    - cheapish nightlife (i.e. not €6 a pint like some places ive been!)
    - Good selection of runs
    - decent accommodation...not 2* france :)

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The only place that I have been that ticks all those boxs would again be Morzine\Avoriaz (My new Fav. Resort!)

Just under 90 Minutes.
    loads of snow
    Prices same as Ireland for Drink/Food
    - Good selection of runs
    Its massive!
    - decent accommodation...not 2* france
    We stayed in a Chalet which was great, all rooms on-suite, XBox, Dvd, Big Screen Tv, loads of couchs, Hottub, 5-10 min stroll from Avoriaz Gondola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Static, care to tell us how much that cost and was it half board or b&b? Also what time of the year did u go?Was it a package with flights or did you DIY?
    Im just trying to sort something for our 09 snow fun, was thinking Chamonix but the 6 euro pints are turning me off:mad:

Sure, Ill post as much details as I can remember

I went DIY in April. Flights to Geneva cost me ~450 return but I only booked them on a Wednesday and left on a Saturday. Bus Transfer from the Airport to Morzine (door to door) cost me €40.

This is where I stayed Chalet Snowboard (They have two chalets both are great though)

You can contact the Chalet and get a price off them. The cost included Breakfast in the morning and a 3 course dinner in the evening. The food is really good too, I'm quite the picky eater and I loved all the meals. They also offer Vegaterian meals every night.

Honestly I know I mention it a lot but I really like this place, Ive already booked the Chalet for next year for 10 of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah Ive heard good things about Morzine & Avoriaz, I must check it out as an alternative to Chamonix, its quite a large resort too so there'd be no lack of boredom after a few days.

Any heads up on the nightlife, lively? Pricey?

The price of pints were the same as in Ireland which was fine I thought, you can even get good Guinness in a place called the Cavern.

They have a lot of little bars around town but they are all in the one area so its very easy to get from one to another. If you go, make sure you go out on the Wednesday night to the Cavern after 9ish, it will get jammed in their later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

mcgrate wrote: »
    looking to book for end of jan - start of feb 09 with the below requirements, id appreciate any recommendations going for a good resort...

- Good selection of runs

Tnx

whistler BC Canada,

Transfer 2 - 2 and a half hours
    snow great in jan feb, lots of powder
    most bars do 4 pint pitchers for average 12.50 CDN (about 10 euro)
    loads of runs - 2 mountains
    lots of accomodation near to lifts

not cheap but if u check out www.whistlerblackcomb.com it will tell you everything you need to know (but there are other options for accomodation not on the site)

flyzoom.com will take you from belfast to vancouver direct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

mcgrate wrote: »

- Good selection of runs

Tnx

So did you book one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

This is where I stayed Chalet Snowboard (They have two chalets both are great though)
    Honestly I know I mention it a lot but I really like this place, Ive already booked the Chalet for next year for 10 of us.

Hey Static - great link - looking into getting the 15 person Chalet for Jan.
    When are you going?? How spacious is the Chalet (have you just been in the 10 ppl one??) Just dont want it to be too cramped and 15 of us falling all over each other!!
    Love the idea of being able to board to the door and the consoles in the chalet - we're looking at getting the bigger chalet witht he outdoor hot tube - to relax the sore bodys after a tough day shredding!!!:p

The big chalet holds 15 people but we only booked it for 10, 15 would be too much I think. The rooms have three single beds in each room so you might be somewhat cramped if you have three per room. You could manage it but 2 per room makes it so much better.. the crew who run it too are really good fun, if its the same guys as last year your sorted, they know all the powder routes :)

Im going over for new years to the big one, you could try and rent both if you could get some extra people, you would only need 3 or 4 more people and it would be perfect.

We emailed them and they said they'd give us the 15 person chalet for 10 people - so we have 10 definates - not too bothered if we dont get 15 now ;)
    Thought that they want to book it out completely as the pricing is per person!
    As you say 10 would be ideal - not too cramped - it looks class!
    Have you any pics from that holiday?? Of the chalet and runs?? How far is it from the village - says they'd arrange lifts there and back!
    Also, what colour run is it back to the chalet - the one closest?? Few beginners with us!!

• Advertisement

The Chalet is about 10 minutes or less from the village but its up a hill so it would take you a good while to walk it. You can get free buses that drop you up and back during the day till about 7:30 then the chalet has a mini bus that can pick you up after that.
    You are about a 5/6 min walk to the bottom of the Gondola and a blue run takes you back to the Chalet, it can be narrow in some parts so I wouldnt take the begineers back on the first day before you check it out.

Ill see if I can dig up some pictures of the area

Thanks for the reply Static M.e.,

Very helpful info! Pics would be great if you have a few!
    Cheers - top man! ;)

Advertisement