Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judges are at it again with insulting sentences!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0609/courts.html?rss

Story is, bloke kills woman while driving twice over speed limit pleads guilty to a charge dangerous driving, he gets 3 yrs suspended sentence at trial.
    DPP appeals lenient sentence and today the sentence is changed to 120hrs community service!!

Relative of victim who is understandably outraged throws a glass decanter at the wall in the courtroom and may end up with criminal charges and other charges.

Whats the bets he will get more than 120hrs community service for throwing a piece of glass??

Judges and their ivory towers. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gurramok wrote: »

Story is, bloke kills woman while driving twice over the drink driving limit, he gets 3 yrs suspended sentence at trial.
    DPP appeals lenient sentence and today the sentence is changed to 120hrs community service!!

Relative of victim who is understandably outraged throws a glass decanter at the wall in the courtroom and may end up with criminal charges and other charges.

Whats the bets he will get more than 120hrs community service for throwing a piece of glass??

Judges and their ivory towers. :mad:

It says twice the speed limit, not the drink drive limit.

Still a lenient sentence though.

Vehicular manslaughter ftw.(to be used as an offence, not a means of killing people)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Jesus christ !! I'm not suprised that the victims relative could be charged, and again it wouldn't suprise me if he got more then yer man sentenced. The justice system in this country is an absolute joke ! I don't know how any judge could have the nerve to charge somebody with "criminal damages" over a completely justified reaction IMO, if that was me I'd want to thrash the place myself, I guess he actually went for it ! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

That's a disgrace.

I hope he has at least been taken off the road for life?

The justice system in this country is beyond a joke at this stage. Whether it'll ever been amended, God only knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've read the link from RTE and see absolutly no reference about drink driving.
    Confused :confused:

What were they charged with OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭who's yer one?

Stekelly wrote: »
    It says twice the speed limit, not the drink drive limit.

Still a lenient sentence though.

Vehicular manslaughter ftw.

still killed someone, whether he was a drunk idiot or an idiot going too fast. i'd be throwing all kinds of stuff at the wall if that was someone close to me. how do these folk get to be judges? some sort of raffle at the xmas party?:confused:

• Advertisement

Lads, twice the speed loimit not drink drive limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've ceased to be amazed at stories like this, purely in an attempt to keep my blood pressure at a semi normal level.

Last week there was the guy who got in a fight with his mate, went off and got a big, sharp knife and then stabbed him to death. 8 ****in years the accused received. 8 years!

From that sentencing:
    Passing sentence, Mr Justice Paul Carney said he had to balance Green's previous good character and his offer to plead guilty to manslaughter with the fact that he had armed himself with a sharp knife and the effect the killing had on the victim's family.

Good character? He murdered another kid! Retrieved a knife, stabbed and murdered another person. Bah!

As for the OP case, it genuinely does seem like the judge was taking the mickey. The judges seem very much to lean in favour of the accused's character and family background, softening the truth of the actual crime committed.

A person died due to another persons stupidity, the stupid person must be punished accordingly, and the greater public must learn that driving at speed can a) cause death and b) get you banged up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Community service for killing someone while speeding is an outrage. That judge should be sacked.
    micmclo wrote: »
    I've read the link from RTE and see absolutly no reference about drink driving.
    Confused :confused:

What were they charged with OP?

Driving at twice the speed limit is just as bad imo. Read the article and you will see what they were charged with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Driving at twice the speed limit is just as bad imo. Read the article and you will see what they were charged with

Agreed!
    I did read the article and it's different to the OP's post, that's why I was asking. One shows speeding and the other shows drink driving.

But seems to be a typo so all cleared up now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh typo, i misread it as drink driving rather than dangerous driving, i was reading another case about the same time, apologies.

Still this case really takes the mick.

So there we have it, go twice the speed limit, knock over and kill someone with dangerous driving and you get away from community service, thats the message for road safety. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ok, OP changed back to the sentencing...

It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Fu*k gta its more like GTA Ireland edition , do any crime u want rape/murder etc then press down down down lef left Square and the Judge cheat will get u out within minutes!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Relative ease of AH topics in descending order:

1. Skangers
    2. The criminal justice system
    3. Roma
    4. Miscellaneous xenophobia
    5. Bodily functions

Any questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL :D

You forgot threads about random horrific crimes and the recommended equally horrific punishments for the perpetrators.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dudess wrote: »

You forgot threads about random horrific crimes and the recommended equally horrific punishments for the perpetrators.
    "I DEMAND VENGENENANENAGCE!!!!13! BLOOOOD YOU HEAR ME. BLOOD"

Basically, the Evening Herald in internet form, after huffing paint thinners for the afternoon.

Dudess wrote: »

Think thats falls under no2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the judge is most worried about security of the perpertrator, should he be worried aobut his security, they may have been problem with teh trial, but god the jduge better explain himself quick

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm always amazed at how people are so quick to judge without having all the facts. The report doesn't even say how fast he was actually going. Twice the speed limit could have been 30mph. Did the victim suddenly run out on the road? There could be extenuating circumstances for all anyone knows.

The fact is it was an accident, which tend to happen. It could probably happen to any one of us - be it as victim or perpetrator. What interests are served by putting this guy behind bars?

He has to live with this for the rest of his life. Probably the worst punishment of all.

If he had done it on purpose & got off light, then the anger would be warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,142 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Robbo wrote: »
    Relative ease of AH topics in descending order:

1. Skangers
    2. The criminal justice system
    3. Roma
    4. Miscellaneous xenophobia
    5. Bodily functions

Any questions?

Boards.ie - A Real Irish Sunday!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how people are so quick to judge without having all the facts. The report doesn't even say how fast he was actually going.

The fact is it was an accident, which tend to happen. It could probably happen to any one of us - be it as victim or perpetrator. What interests are served by putting this guy behind bars?

He has to live with this for the rest of his life. Probably the worst punishment of all.

Twice the legal limit. That fast enough for ya? I'm always amazed to see people like you defending these people. How many ads are on our screens daily telling us the dangers of speeding? All this judgement does is tell the country that it's not that bad to speed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how people are so quick to judge without having all the facts. The report doesn't even say how fast he was actually going. Twice the speed limit could have been 30mph. Did the victim suddenly run out on the road? There could be extenuating circumstances for all anyone knows.

If he had done it on purpose & got off light, then the anger would be warranted.
    If, for example, the speed limit he broke was 50km so he was doing 100km, should he get a light sentence and just the guilt of having to live with it? It's careless driving, by doing so he showed no regard for his own safety and those of other road users/pedestrians and should be punished accordingly for what his stupid actions caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

To be honest i'd say the accused could now very easily be a marked man. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's pretty cool. A way of legally killing someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

the_syco wrote: »

Whoa, slow down there. He did get 120 hours of painting walls for killing someone. Cruel and unusual punishment or what. He now carries the mark of Cain. How can we be so evil and vengeful?

Shame on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

the_syco wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing, last one to run Enda Kenny over is a rotten egg!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

m83 wrote: »
    To be honest i'd say the accused could now very easily be a marked man. And rightly so.

Rightly so? String him up perhaps? God this is almost a Pythonesque comment. He turned me into a newt.
    Twice the legal limit. That fast enough for ya? I'm always amazed to see people like you defending these people. How many ads are on our screens daily telling us the dangers of speeding? All this judgement does is tell the country that it's not that bad to speed...

No it doesn't say that. Do you think when people read a person died & speeding was involved, they can't make that connection themselves? Do you honestly believe someone will now disregard speed limits because of this case?

I don't know what you mean by "people like you" - do explain.

Also, where do you get off suggesting I condone speeding?

Frankly, I expected responses like this. I should have learned after the Roma thread.

Rb wrote: »
    If, for example, the speed limit he broke was 50km so he was doing 100km, should he get a light sentence and just the guilt of having to live with it? It's careless driving, by doing so he showed no regard for his own safety and those of other road users/pedestrians and should be punished accordingly for what his stupid actions caused.

The judge did punish him according to his actions. He did so based on a set of facts that did not entirely comprise a one page RTE summary.

The lowest legal speed limit is 30kph I think. Who among us can say thay haven't perhaps inadverently driven at 60kph in such a speed zone?

While everyone runs off to grab small piece of stone, here's a handy website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

the judge is most worried about security of the perpertrator, should he be worried aobut his security, they may have been problem with teh trial, but god the jduge better explain himself quick

I think judges are entitled to worry about their personal security?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

clearly the relative didn't see justice being had we don't see it either so it just the judges mind that we all have depend on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Robbo wrote: »
    Basically, the Evening Herald in internet form, after huffing paint thinners for the afternoon.

I still prefer "now ye're talking", but this is a very compelling suggestion.

Advertisement