Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2008 Thread

• 28-06-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Given that anyone aiming for Dublin in October should be in or around the start of their training schedule, I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where we can all check-in/moan/talk about progress, seek advice, or to keep up each other's motivation when the schedule starts to become a pain in the a$$ and there is still weeks to go until the marathon.

I'm at the end of week 1 of Pfitzinger 18 week, <55 miles per week. Heading out for a 12 mile run now...feeling good about it all, but realising I need some new runners.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not a bad idea, followed the runnersworld thread in 05. I haven't decided whether to run yet though, going to ease into a program and see how I'm feeling this year. Certainly plan to do the adidas race series in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

im on week 4 of brendan o shea's 21 week maratnon programme to finish between 2:30 and 3:00 , im aiming for 2:59:59. i used the hal higdon programmes for the 2 other marathons ive run and i wanted a change and i picked this programme because of the hagher amount of 20 mile or upwards runs in it something i felt i needed and was lacking in the higdon programmes. anyway i was out earlier for a 10 mile run and tommorrow morning its 14 . all is well at the moment and i still have that starting a new programme excitement which i plan on enjoying before it wears off.
    good idea for this as id like to see how everyone else is training/preparing/copeing

im on week 4 of brendan o shea's 21 week maratnon programme to finish between 2:30 and 3:00 , im aiming for 2:59:59. i used the hal higdon programmes for the 2 other marathons ive run and i wanted a change and i picked this programme because of the hagher amount of 20 mile or upwards runs in it something i felt i needed and was lacking in the higdon programmes. anyway i was out earlier for a 10 mile run and tommorrow morning its 14 . all is well at the moment and i still have that starting a new programme excitement which i plan on enjoying before it wears off.
    good idea for this as id like to see how everyone else is training/preparing/copeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Saw Brendan O'Shea's schedule in the Irish runner and thought there was no taper at all. The last 4 Sundays you are running 22, 22, 20 & 20. Even the next schedule down for 3:00 - 4:15 you are running 20, 20, 18 & 18.
    Does anyone else think this is too much running the weeks before a marathon. My last 4 weeks consist of 14, 22, 12 & a mere 8 miles the week before. Before that I'll have done 1 more 22 and 3 20 mile runs.
    I guess as the Irish runner says, it is tried and trusted. I just thought tapering is very important. No?
    Good luck with the training.

Saw Brendan O'Shea's schedule in the Irish runner and thought there was no taper at all. The last 4 Sundays you are running 22, 22, 20 & 20. Even the next schedule down for 3:00 - 4:15 you are running 20, 20, 18 & 18.
    Does anyone else think this is too much running the weeks before a marathon. My last 4 weeks consist of 14, 22, 12 & a mere 8 miles the week before. Before that I'll have done 1 more 22 and 3 20 mile runs.
    I guess as the Irish runner says, it is tried and trusted. I just thought tapering is very important. No?
    Good luck with the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

I agree. Four runs of 20+ in the four weeks before the marathon seems to be asking for tired legs on the day itself. Will be interested to see how it works out, as I also think the plan I'm using is a little light on the 20 milers - 3x20 milers, and nothing over 20 miles. It worked for me last year, and I finished strong, however, I plan on tweaking a little and doing maybe 1 or 2 in excess of 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

I agree. Four runs of 20+ in the four weeks before the marathon seems to be asking for tired legs on the day itself. Will be interested to see how it works out, as I also think the plan I'm using is a little light on the 20 milers - 3x20 milers, and nothing over 20 miles. It worked for me last year, and I finished strong, however, I plan on tweaking a little and doing maybe 1 or 2 in excess of 20.

just because you pick a plan doesnt mean your married to it, i will follow the plan but if i feel im getting burnt out i will change it to suit my needs and i can deffinitely see myself changeing the 2 sundays prior to the marathon to maybe a 16 and 10 respectively before the marathon. for me i look at marathon programmes as a guide and if i can follow them and they suit where i am in my training and my lifestyle then great and if not well what harm

just because you pick a plan doesnt mean your married to it, i will follow the plan but if i feel im getting burnt out i will change it to suit my needs and i can deffinitely see myself changeing the 2 sundays prior to the marathon to maybe a 16 and 10 respectively before the marathon. for me i look at marathon programmes as a guide and if i can follow them and they suit where i am in my training and my lifestyle then great and if not well what harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Does anyone else think this is too much running the weeks before a marathon.

yeah I was looking at that plan myself and I think it's a bit OTT in places. Two 10/12 mile fartleks a week seems absolutely crazy. I don't know what a fartlek is to Mr O'Shea but that one of those sessions could wreck me for the week. As an above poster says a bit of mixing and matching is required for all plans.

Regarding my daily slog. Just did 6 myself today as I had a feed of beer last night :o, got 14 in yesterday though. In fact some of the above threads guilted me into getting off my couch and out the door this evening.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else think this is too much running the weeks before a marathon.

yeah I was looking at that plan myself and I think it's a bit OTT in places. Two 10/12 mile fartleks a week seems absolutely crazy. I don't know what a fartlek is to Mr O'Shea but that one of those sessions could wreck me for the week. As an above poster says a bit of mixing and matching is required for all plans.

Regarding my daily slog. Just did 6 myself today as I had a feed of beer last night :o, got 14 in yesterday though. In fact some of the above threads guilted me into getting off my couch and out the door this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

The Brendan O'Shea programme is tough but it will have you incredibly strong. One problem is that 2.30 to 3.00 is too wide and varying a range. As in 3 hours is almost 7min mile pace while 2.30 is under 6min mile pace. The quality of runner running 2.30 will be a different beast to the 3 hour man. So the 2.30 runner might cope much better on this programme than a 3.00 runner. His programmes are always much the same, but change slightly year by year. I followed it religiously for my first marathon a few years ago and found the marathon quite easy. However, the last 20mile run was 3 weeks before if I remember rightly. I would definitely recommend 3 weeks before for the last long run. Maybe 13-16 2 weeks before and 8-10 the week before. The programme was definitely a bit eaiser the year I did it. More or less -

Mon - 6-8
    Tues - 8-10
    Wed - 6-8
    Thurs - 8-10
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 10
    Sun - About 6 20's and 4 22's

with occasional speedwork on the Tuesday or Thursday, but nothing over the top, concentrating more on speed endurance than raw speed.

Off topic, but Jay Z doing Sunday Bloody Sunday - class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

The Brendan O'Shea programme is tough but it will have you incredibly strong. One problem is that 2.30 to 3.00 is too wide and varying a range. As in 3 hours is almost 7min mile pace while 2.30 is under 6min mile pace. The quality of runner running 2.30 will be a different beast to the 3 hour man. So the 2.30 runner might cope much better on this programme than a 3.00 runner. His programmes are always much the same, but change slightly year by year. I followed it religiously for my first marathon a few years ago and found the marathon quite easy. However, the last 20mile run was 3 weeks before if I remember rightly. I would definitely recommend 3 weeks before for the last long run. Maybe 13-16 2 weeks before and 8-10 the week before. The programme was definitely a bit eaiser the year I did it. More or less -

Mon - 6-8
    Tues - 8-10
    Wed - 6-8
    Thurs - 8-10
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 10
    Sun - About 6 20's and 4 22's

with occasional speedwork on the Tuesday or Thursday, but nothing over the top, concentrating more on speed endurance than raw speed.

Off topic, but Jay Z doing Sunday Bloody Sunday - class

got 10 in today. Was feeling guilty after my night on the beer on Friday so I put the boot down after a couple of miles. Felt great and was pleasantly surprised with my time

got 10 in today. Was feeling guilty after my night on the beer on Friday so I put the boot down after a couple of miles. Felt great and was pleasantly surprised with my time

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi there, just wondering if any of your programs feature hill-work? I am loosely following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II (mixed in with some IMRA races mid-week). My long runs are 20 miles, and my shorter long runs tend to be 13-15 miles with around 3 large hills 100-150 metres climbs.

I'm just wondering if I am benefitting from these hill runs (given that they're not prescribed in the programs), or should I consider dropping them for flatter (less interesting) runs?

Here's an example of today's run:
    get.mb?xy.domain=totalDistance&xy.ranges=elevation&xy.histogram=false&xy.legendVisible=false&xy.primaryRangeAxisVisible=true&xy.secondaryRangeAxisVisible=true&xy.rangeTitlesVisible=true&xy.domainAxisVisible=true&xy.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&episodePk.pkValue=6116602&xy.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&xy.autoFit=true&xy.width=1000&xy.height=450
    By the way, I'm preparing for Longford, but hope to do Dublin also, if I'm sufficiently recovered, and can get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi there, just wondering if any of your programs feature hill-work? I am loosely following Hal Higdon's Intermediate II (mixed in with some IMRA races mid-week). My long runs are 20 miles, and my shorter long runs tend to be 13-15 miles with around 3 large hills 100-150 metres climbs.

I'm just wondering if I am benefitting from these hill runs (given that they're not prescribed in the programs), or should I consider dropping them for flatter (less interesting) runs?

Here's an example of today's run:
    get.mb?xy.domain=totalDistance&xy.ranges=elevation&xy.histogram=false&xy.legendVisible=false&xy.primaryRangeAxisVisible=true&xy.secondaryRangeAxisVisible=true&xy.rangeTitlesVisible=true&xy.domainAxisVisible=true&xy.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&episodePk.pkValue=6116602&xy.plotForegroundOpacity=0.75&xy.autoFit=true&xy.width=1000&xy.height=450
    By the way, I'm preparing for Longford, but hope to do Dublin also, if I'm sufficiently recovered, and can get up to speed.

Hi Krusty,
    I was going to post a thread asking what type of hill work people are doing. To answer your question, I reckon you would benefit from hills as they would strengthen your legs even if Longford is pretty flat. I'm doing Berlin and I think thats as flat as you can get, but wanted to introduce hills for strength.
    What do other people do for hills. I do most of my runs in the Phoenix Park and was going to go to the hill near the magazine and do a few reps of that. It's about 80m, so was thinking maybe X6 or X8?

Hi Krusty,
    I was going to post a thread asking what type of hill work people are doing. To answer your question, I reckon you would benefit from hills as they would strengthen your legs even if Longford is pretty flat. I'm doing Berlin and I think thats as flat as you can get, but wanted to introduce hills for strength.
    What do other people do for hills. I do most of my runs in the Phoenix Park and was going to go to the hill near the magazine and do a few reps of that. It's about 80m, so was thinking maybe X6 or X8?

Hi

I think some hill work is important. When I ran my marathon pb I was incorporating some tough hills into my long run. I will be doing this again this year. There are a couple of inclines around the 20 mile mark in Dublin that shouldn't be underestimated (as I did last year).

I don't know if these type of hills are optimum for marathon training but I could be wrong. I know the hill you are talking about and I think what you are planning on doing might be more suited to an event where explosive speed is important (1500 downwards). At the same time I don't think they would be a total waste of time. I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinion on this

In my opinion a better hill to do would be the Khyber pass, just beside the magazine hill. Its 800 metres long bollard to bollard. Running up and jogging back 4 or 5 times is a great session. Its a tough little cookie and the slow build up of lactic and aerobic stress is great training for the last 6 miles of the marathon when strength is required.

• Advertisement

Hi

I think some hill work is important. When I ran my marathon pb I was incorporating some tough hills into my long run. I will be doing this again this year. There are a couple of inclines around the 20 mile mark in Dublin that shouldn't be underestimated (as I did last year).

I don't know if these type of hills are optimum for marathon training but I could be wrong. I know the hill you are talking about and I think what you are planning on doing might be more suited to an event where explosive speed is important (1500 downwards). At the same time I don't think they would be a total waste of time. I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinion on this

In my opinion a better hill to do would be the Khyber pass, just beside the magazine hill. Its 800 metres long bollard to bollard. Running up and jogging back 4 or 5 times is a great session. Its a tough little cookie and the slow build up of lactic and aerobic stress is great training for the last 6 miles of the marathon when strength is required.

Thanks for that roadrunner. The Kybher pass is exactly what i'm looking for. Never even thought about it. The schedule I was following requires a hill of 400m but for the life of me couldn't think of one. Will be heading there Wednesday evening.

Thanks for that roadrunner. The Kybher pass is exactly what i'm looking for. Never even thought about it. The schedule I was following requires a hill of 400m but for the life of me couldn't think of one. Will be heading there Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi there,

Yes I started my 18week training plan last week for Dublin marathon. I had been training earlier this year for Connemara but had to pull put half way through training with a suspect stress fracture. I am not a fast runner and my goal is just under 5hrs for Dublin. Im trying to balance my training this time around to build strength. So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan? I really really dont want to get injured again and not be able to run. Even with 10k runs I can still feel a decent niggle down along my shin bone and a nice bump where the imjury was 6 months ago...So do I change my running strategy, go to preventative physio or just stick with my exercises, build up my core strength and hope for the best??

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi there,

Yes I started my 18week training plan last week for Dublin marathon. I had been training earlier this year for Connemara but had to pull put half way through training with a suspect stress fracture. I am not a fast runner and my goal is just under 5hrs for Dublin. Im trying to balance my training this time around to build strength. So Im only going for a max of 3 runs a week, with the longer one at the weekend, 2-3 swimming or aqua jogging sessions during the week for non-impact training and 2 gym sessions for core strengthening.

I know nothing will replace the miles on the road, but does this sound ok for a marathon plan? I really really dont want to get injured again and not be able to run. Even with 10k runs I can still feel a decent niggle down along my shin bone and a nice bump where the imjury was 6 months ago...So do I change my running strategy, go to preventative physio or just stick with my exercises, build up my core strength and hope for the best??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"In my opinion a better hill to do would be the Khyber pass, just beside the magazine hill. Its 800 metres long bollard to bollard."

From Google earth this appears to be 0.92k, using the ruler and path tool to where the white bars are in the ground--maybe this is not accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"In my opinion a better hill to do would be the Khyber pass, just beside the magazine hill. Its 800 metres long bollard to bollard."

From Google earth this appears to be 0.92k, using the ruler and path tool to where the white bars are in the ground--maybe this is not accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

hello everyone,

I am new to the boards. Just starting my second week of a 18 week plan for the Dublin marathon. I wanted to do it last year but i over trained and damaged my knee. So i am taking it slow this time around and build it up to stay injury free. I'll have to cut down on the beer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

hello everyone,

I am new to the boards. Just starting my second week of a 18 week plan for the Dublin marathon. I wanted to do it last year but i over trained and damaged my knee. So i am taking it slow this time around and build it up to stay injury free. I'll have to cut down on the beer though!

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »

are the white bars the bollards ? I always thought the full length of the Khyber was just under 1k and would be (pleasantly) surprised if the bollard to bollard measurement was much over 800 metres. I have a metre wheel so I'll look into this over the coming weeks.

Advertisement