Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 / Quake Live Players in Ireland Say Hello

Options
  • 17-07-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

It is nearly that time again... nearly time for a mini revival in Quakeland. I am surprised by how many decent Irish Quake 3/QL players I see around the place. I think it would be good to see who is currently playing and investigate the feasibility of kick-starting the Irish Q3/QL scene again, in time for the impending spike in activity across Europe. I'm sure there will be new leagues and competitions to cater for all abilities, once QL is released, so it would be good to see some Irish representation there.

Even if we don't get to the stage where there are clans in leagues, we should at least check in to make sure that everyone knows where to find games, what servers to play on, who to play against.

I'm lumping Quake 3 and Quake Live together, because I have not played QuakeLive yet, but I expect that there should be an overlap between the communities of both games, in the early days at least.

I got an internet connection last week, and managed to play a couple of maps with Stev. So that means, people I know who play a bit of Q3 in Ireland include:

I saw on LanParty.ie, the following people signed up to the 1v1 league:

[1] barballs
    [2] bch
    [3] cherryghost
    [4] dardoz
    [5] Hedgepig
    [6] Jazzy
    [7] LowFat
    [8] MarchInnit?
    [9] PPC
    [10] rzelky
    [11] sabre0001

In addition, I know that Stev will play, and Vinnit will probably play a bit if we force him. I think I saw Sk!a popping up somewhere recently. Anyone else? cbs? (I haven't seen cbs in a few years - anyone know if he is in Ireland still?)
    dest? Haven't seen dest in a few years - are you going to be trying out this QuakeLive thing? Any nD heads thinking of having a few games? Bunny? Beast? Zero? ol? Rapp? benjiSPENDLOVE/Horseface/toxicragerabbi/etc? crow? kroNic? Pyro? Any UIE types? Nag? antonio_banderas? melachi?

I don't know barballs/cherryghost/LowFat/MarchInnit or if anyone knows anybody else that is playing away then might as well post here. There must be a few more new players who have sprung up over the past few years.

I recommend idling in some of the Irish Quakeish channels on QuakeNet - used to be #fh or #quake.ie but there seems to be more activity these days in #irish.gaming - I'll be there probably as Hedgepig or killy or something.
    Make sure you have CPMA up to date, and shout out if you want a game. It doesn't look like there are any Irish servers running at the moment. That could change if we demonstrate the need, but there seem to be plenty of empty public servers in the UK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

dracula_lives.jpg

Just let it die Illkillya...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

But didn't you hear about the new game they're releasing called "Quake Lives".

p.s., a reliable source has informed me that "Spaceman" can be added to this list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭rzelky

Yeah i am pretty much playing QL only atm [ wouldnt mind some vq3 action ] ...
    Saw : dest/kRonic/Pyro/dardoz some northies Emsixteen and his friend .. and some moar random irish looking bastids, yeah ska is there ...

And Q3 .. well since i havent played dat in a while i dunno, all i know its not dead -> ESWC Masters was freaking awesome ....

So anyways .. hi, whats up, lets play

Agreed, ESWC Masters was great (even though I didn't see any of the games...) and ESWC Finals will be great too I'd say (can ZeRo4 improve another notch?)

Before that, it was that Czech Nations Cup that got me interested... when I saw all the teams playing 4v4s on q3dm7, I had to go for a game and played vs sabre001, but I could only play from work because I had no connection at home.

I forgot about the northies. I reckon sno will play... maybe casc/chas/z3on/???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

QL isnt working on my PC yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Illkillya wrote: »
    p.s., a reliable source has informed me that "Spaceman" can be added to this list.

Reliable source and Spaceman can't be said in the same sentence

sno will play stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yer all ***** tbh.

I'm around up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Jazzy wrote: »
    QL isnt working on my PC yet :/

What you mean? It isn't out yet right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The beta is out though

What you mean? It isn't out yet right?

Yes, closed beta atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Have QL beta but haven't really tried it. I'm about now and then to play some Q3 when I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

That's wierd, I signed up for the beta months ago :/ What's the verdict anyway?

That's wierd, I signed up for the beta months ago :/ What's the verdict anyway?

verdict on what ? on QL beta ? its a BETA ;)

... its very good

I haven't played it yet, but the reaction seems to be positive from everyone I talk to. This is rare, since usually people slam these games in the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I'm definitely up for some Quake 3 (not quake live yet, at least until they actually make it worth playing) to supplement my QW habit, despite the fact that the extend of my quake 3 experience in the last 7 years amounts to 15-25 minutes each of 4 maps. :)

Be gentle.

stop spamming Stev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

an afterthought!!! you feckin Cork langer ya! Baggsie first kill on PPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

dont forget the pit bull aka Norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hey, first time getting on net in a few days.....Seems to be a bit of interest in Quake coming back, especially with the upcoming release of QuakeLive.

I'm a newcomer to the whole game really and drift in and out of inactivity unfortunately for the moment. Good to see players coming back in and the forum / channel coming back to life.

When I get back to Ireland, expect to see me around a bit more anyway! See ye on the battlegrounds.

Edit - Also having problems getting QL to work. Had to go through FireFox.
    First time of play (v bot) - kept getting script errors that I had to click ok, and then died! (was losing 5-1 and just quit because it was unplayable)
    Second time - on a public server got kicked because of PB (without doing anything!)
    Any other time - crashes at the blue loading screen (can't find autoexec.cfg) and then closes

:(

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Hey, first time getting on net in a few days.....Seems to be a bit of interest in Quake coming back, especially with the upcoming release of QuakeLive.

I'm a newcomer to the whole game really and drift in and out of inactivity unfortunately for the moment. Good to see players coming back in and the forum / channel coming back to life.

When I get back to Ireland, expect to see me around a bit more anyway! See ye on the battlegrounds.

Edit - Also having problems getting QL to work. Had to go through FireFox.
    First time of play (v bot) - kept getting script errors that I had to click ok, and then died! (was losing 5-1 and just quit because it was unplayable)
    Second time - on a public server got kicked because of PB (without doing anything!)
    Any other time - crashes at the blue loading screen (can't find autoexec.cfg) and then closes

:(

Check the QL beta forums aswell as irc channel for solutions and also these information about crashes etc. should not be posted in public forums :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sounds interesting.

Is there pt-4?

zAbbo wrote: »
    Sounds interesting.

Is there pt-4?

i cant tell you whether there is pt-4 or not since its CLOSED BETA aka. u dont talk about the game at all ...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

u don't talk? lol

I'll tell u a bit without giving too much away so as I get my ass kicked out of the beta.

It rocks! its faster than q3 (cos of slightly better air control around corners), the netcode is better, the weapons are more balanced.

Any more than that and I'd be overstepping the mark. But you can pretty much see all this by having a look at the vods from quakecon.

Watch plenty of streaming flv movies here: http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Warblade

anyone have an extra invite for me? Love to get in on the killing.

verticallyrising@gmail.com

Advertisement