Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lizard pictures

Options
  • 27-07-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple of pictures I took of a lizard I came across yesterday up in the Wicklow Hills (coming down from the summit of Carriglineen down into Glenmalure if anyone knows it). Anyway, I saw the little fellow out of the corner of my eye, and usually they just scupper away into the undergrowth before I get a chance to look at them properly, but this one seemed a bit shocked and stunned for some reason. I suspect that the person walking in front of me might have inadvertently stood on him, but the ground underneath was very soft and forgiving, so maybe the impact was cushioned a bit. Anyway, I picked him up and laid in on my hand, he laid there a bit strangely as you can see from the pics .. his front legs were kind of splayed out to the sides and his head was laying on my hand. He could easily be turned over to see the beautiful colouring on his underside.

I was a bit worried that he may be too badly hurt, but luckily after a few minutes he started to perk up a bit, and lift his head up to look around a bit, then scurried off and jumped off my hand into the undergrowth. I hope he was OK :)

34xf7ts.jpg

2cylbt5.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They are wonderful creatures. Thank you for sharing the images with us.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

lovely pics. its been ages since i have come across a lizard here in ireland, in fact so long i cant remember where i last seen one. anyone know where to keep my eyes peeled in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

stevoman wrote: »
    lovely pics. its been ages since i have come across a lizard here in ireland, in fact so long i cant remember where i last seen one. anyone know where to keep my eyes peeled in the future?
    I see them reasonably regularly when I'm out hiking in the Wicklow Mountains, and have seen more this year than any other year so far.

Oddly enough (to me at any rate) I see more of them in wet slightly boggy surroundings, usually in small gullies. I'd always imagined cold-blooded creatures such as lizards to prefer somewhere warmer and certainly drier than where I usually see them.

Still if you're going to be a lizard in Ireland, I guess you have to learn to put up with damp, cold conditions if you're going to survive!

Alun wrote: »
    I see them reasonably regularly when I'm out hiking in the Wicklow Mountains, and have seen more this year than any other year so far.

Oddly enough (to me at any rate) I see more of them in wet slightly boggy surroundings, usually in small gullies. I'd always imagined cold-blooded creatures such as lizards to prefer somewhere warmer and certainly drier than where I usually see them.

Still if you're going to be a lizard in Ireland, I guess you have to learn to put up with damp, cold conditions if you're going to survive!
    very true. i spend a lot of time on the bog of allen so i i'l keep my eyes peeled there and hopefully i'l get a glimpse of one again! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Great photos. A nice find. Most people aren't lucky enough to come across something like that, and even less of them would appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I see a fair few along the sand dunes and backstrand areas in Waterford.
    They're normally gone in a flash though.
    I never got to see detail like this when I saw them in the wild.

Cheers Alun!

Yes, I was just lucky I suppose that this one was a little shocked and stunned, and "played dead" for a while on my hand. I did try and take some much more close up ones of his scales, but they didn't really come out. Anyway, glad you all like them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I didn't even know there were any lizards in this country. :eek:

I didn't even know there were any lizards in this country. :eek:
    http://www.iwt.ie/lizards1.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

very true. i spend a lot of time on the bog of allen so i i'l keep my eyes peeled there and hopefully i'l get a glimpse of one again! thanks

I encountered one on Carbury Hill a few years ago. I was surprised as I always associate them with mountain areas...

Got the PM stevoman... I am interested in your ideas...

• Advertisement

Yes, I was just lucky I suppose that this one was a little shocked and stunned, and "played dead" for a while on my hand. I did try and take some much more close up ones of his scales, but they didn't really come out. Anyway, glad you all like them!

Are those types of lizards here in Ireland much like gecho's? I just seen from your pictures that the tail area is a shade different colour and as far as im aware its like defence mechanism, where by if you actually catch the tail the can shed it immediatly and it grows back. i think thats what it is anyways. :)

boneless wrote: »

Got the PM stevoman... I am interested in your ideas...
    thanks boneless, no probs. glad to be of some help.

Are those types of lizards here in Ireland much like gecho's? I just seen from your pictures that the tail area is a shade different colour and as far as im aware its like defence mechanism, where by if you actually catch the tail the can shed it immediatly and it grows back. i think thats what it is anyways. :)
    I'm not sure about that .. it's certainly something I'm aware of in some lizards. I did have it in the back of my mind when I was picking him up and kind of scooped him up in my hand rather than pulling his tail in case that happened.

I'm not sure about that .. it's certainly something I'm aware of in some lizards. I did have it in the back of my mind when I was picking him up and kind of scooped him up in my hand rather than pulling his tail in case that happened.

yeah its interesting to know if that would in fact happen. i think i'l look into it on my complete irish wildlife book tonight for further info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

anyone know where to keep my eyes peeled in the future?

If you're in Galway, I spotted one recently running across the Dyke road up near Menlo Castle. First one I ever saw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

They readily shed their tails when threatened. The tail wiggles like a worm to take the focus away from the lizard. The specimen in the photo has almost certainly shed his tail in the past as the ones I have seen didn't have any colour changes in the tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

As far as I know, the only lizard in Ireland is the one in the photo, the lacerta vivipara. I have heard of sightings of Lacerta Viridis on some of our beaches down around Wexford. http://www.club100.net/species/L_viridis/L_viridis_Dojran_Grekland_0005_TS1.jpg
    Never seen one myself tho.
    The are not related to Geckos tho, as Geckos come from a different family of lizards. All Geckos can lick their eyes to clean them, whereas the Lacerta vivipara has a forked tongue like that of a snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Yes lads there's no doubt about it. The tail would come off instantly if you grabbed the little guy by it.
    I have done it in the past.
    They're common on the rocky hills of the West. Surprised you see one in the boggy terrain you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I seen one on my doorstep in Athlone tonight, took pics, never knew they existed here until I lookup and found this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

yeah its interesting to know if that would in fact happen. i think i'l look into it on my complete irish wildlife book tonight for further info!

I can also confirm they will shed their tails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Alun just helped out and ID'd a lizard that now lives in my veg plot having been rescued from the cat.
    Pictures and comments on the little beastie in the garden section of b.ie

Advertisement