Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Skimming in Galway City Supermarket

• 14-08-2008 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Not Dunnes Tesco or a German store and apparently the card data was intercepted by skimming INSIDE the store or else by installing a listening device on the modem .

Both laser and credit cards are affected.

Her Bank just rang my sister and her card is now being cancelled and reissued.

Has anyone else heard this story or been contacted by their banks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Nope, that's pretty worrying tho..so someone working there is fitting the device, is that what youre saying?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not Dunnes Tesco or a German store

So either Supervalu or Joyces? Why not name them? Or could the card have been skimmed elsewhere? First time I've heard of this in a supermarket...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The ATM outside joyces was hit a while ago I think. But dear lord if they are doing it from the inside...

At least credit cards are protected from this but if I remember rightly no fraud protection is in place for laser's

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

It's something I wondered about. If your card is skimmed can you get the money back fronm your bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

Could this be what you're referring to?

• Advertisement

I got a friendly phone call from BoI last night telling me my card was one of the cards effected. So card has been cancelled. Only thing they would not say was where the device was. This is something I find out of order. If a shop was bloody stupid enough to let random people "service" their POS card readers I dont want to ever go there again and if I do it will be cash.

The headlines can say it was only 5 stores but not what stores they where ><

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The bank said it will issue affected customers with new cards, after a criminal gang skimmed cards in a small number of retail outlets.

The individuals involved fitted devices to sales terminals while pretending to carry out maintenance work on behalf of banks.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0818/fraud.html

Thing is there are reports are saying the devices where in the north and east and they where tampered with last Thursday. I have not used my laser to pay for anything in Dublin in about 3 weeks. I think this is much bigger than the reports are letting on... Galway would be about 2 weeks ago. Taking out cash yes but unless they also hit ATM's I'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

But why is it only BoI?

Would other banks not also be affected? I find this a little strange...Unless they mean shops that have an ATM inside???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its not only BoI , its every card issuer. Its just that BoI have acted fairly quickly .

The supermarket is not small and is located in the west of the city by the way . Ring your local branch for clarification if you are worried you may have been in there while the devices were in situ .

The skimming was not ATM related skimming but involved skimming on Cash Registers inside shops. The devices were possibly installed by individuals pretending to be bank employees or system maintenance engineers and not by the shops own staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

My sister's card was skimmed after a transaction in a supermaket.

Is there a reason why we can't mention the name of the supermarket? Anyway, it didn't happen in Athenry or Headford.

Her 'card' was used to take out €200 from an ATM in France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Are we talking about the one in Knocknacarra then??

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Is there a reason why we can't mention the name of the supermarket?
    No reason , its just that it wasn't on the front page of the papers last week . It is now .

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0818/breaking84.htm

and they know it happened in Galway but chose not to admit that . They also chose not to admit the skimming went on in July or even earlier .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Just wondering, what happens when i give my Laser Card details to a long-trusted member of the trade over the phone? Who else sees these?
    Is it just a once-off screenpage or could anyone back scroll to those details??

Its all about who he had in to "fix" his system recently not your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That solves that so, cheers..

Funnily enough the bank were quite forthcoming to my sister about where it happened but never said that a cloned card had been used anywhere. They even apologised for all the hassle :p

Staker If 'someone from the bank' has been in to do maintenance in the past 3 months then he should get the terminal suppliers to come in straight away to validate his system.

It would be very distressing for a good reputable business to get caught out by international fraudsters but as I understand it the scam is confined to supermarkets garages pubs and restaurants where the scammers could easily case the gaff , see what was there already and replace with seemingly identical units .

If the card unit is upstairs in an office , out of sight, then they could not have done it without inside information from the TERMINAL supply company .

It is not thought at present that the gang was that well connected but our banks are typically rather economical with the truth in these matters .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

my card had to be cancelled and reissued, i'm almost certain it was from the joyces atm

I said it was not an ATM skim, it was a Till Scanner skim .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

My credit card was done, I usually use my laser, but occasionally have used the cc.
    I am a frequent shopper at a certain Knocknacarra store, and thats where I suspected it - lots of floor staff, visible lack of management any time I have visited.
    Anyway, got told by BoI that there was €250 withdrawn from an ATM on Wed morning in Milan, same again tried on Thurs morning, which they stopped.

Strange thing was, how is 2 withdrawals of €250 from an ATM flaggable as suspicious, I could easily have been on holiday.
    It smacks of them knowing it, yet not doing anything about it.
    At least its covered on the credit card I suppose.

Another weird thing was, the initial contact I had was a txt from a UK number saying this is BoI Security, please contact us on 00353 1.....
    That was at 7.20 am, so I was half asleep - rang the number, then thought hold on, this is a fraud, so had to wait until after 8am to speak to a BoI official on their supposed 24-hr phoneline.
    They put me through to credit card services who told me the story above.

To end a very weird morning, the guy asked me to cut the card in two and post it to BoI in Dublin.
    Now there is no way I'm doing that. Its gonna be shredded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Would you have been covered if you had of used your Laser card? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Would you have been covered if you had of used your Laser card? :confused:

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

It would be handy if everytime you made a withdrawel an instant text message was sent to your mobile phone and if there was anything suspicious you would know straight away!! That idea has to have been floated around to the banks but they are probably to stingy to invest in it. Cowboys, there all cowboys ted.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

baldbear wrote: »
    It would be handy if everytime you made a withdrawel an instant text message was sent to your mobile phone and if there was anything suspicious you would know straight away!! That idea has to have been floated around to the banks but they are probably to stingy to invest in it. Cowboys, there all cowboys ted.;)

That's actualyl a really good idea, but do you think the banks would actually invest in that? ... no a hope. either that or charge us lots for it ie. 10c every time we use our card :eek:

To be honest I'm just waiting for BoI to try and apply a charge for the new card to be issued. I hope to feck they dont but this is a bank we are talking about.

If they did bring in that sms service you can be sure it would be a bit more expensive more like 2euro per message. Even if they did it as a daily/weekly summary it would be good. But with on line banking its pretty easy to keep an eye on whats coming or going.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I heard last night that there are thousands of affected customers in Galway, not just Joyces, but a couple of Dunnes outlets were hit too, and that the figure involved will easily be in six figures.

What really concerns me is the fact that IPSO are saying it isn't connected to what went on in the east of the country over the last few days. Are we to believe its just a bizarre coincidence?

http://www.galwaynews.ie/4694-hundreds-hit-skimming-scam

soundbyte wrote: »
    What really concerns me is the fact that IPSO are saying it isn't connected to what went on in the east of the country over the last few days. Are we to believe its just a bizarre coincidence?

Speaking with BoI today they said it was the same scam. When I asked how long I was told the cards had been skimmed over the past few months but the fraud transactions only started happening last Thursday.

The media seems to be playing this down or at least the info the media is being fed is not complete. Look at the reports and they only mention the east and north east. The devices where only placed in the shops last Thursday/Friday. etc etc. My laser was not used to pay for anything in a store for weeks yet it got skimmed.... go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

2 girls in the office have had calls over the last hour or so letting them know that their cards had been skimmed and in one case that a withdrawl had been made in Canada

Both shop regularly in the Knocknacarra area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

My card was cancelled today, too. Do most of my shopping in Dunnes/Joyces in Knocknacarra. Checked account online, but nothing seems to have been taken :p
    Wonder how long it will take to get a replacement card?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Collegue at work got BOI cards cancelled today...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement