Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Insect pics from today... C&C & advice. Arachnophobes beware...

Options
  • 20-08-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭

It was pretty much raining all day long down here. It let up and I decided to take my doggz and camera for a walk.

Please tell me what you think. They're quite plain actually but I still like em!

This guy was funny. He was minding his own business, cleaning himself, and when I got closer he stopped, turned around and stared straight at the camera until I was finished snapping. A perfect model.
    2781525115_11d121a6f5.jpg

This guy wasn't as helpful, scooted off once I got too close.
    2782373528_730d294b14.jpg?v=0

2782389316_efd848be14.jpg?v=0

Could you tell me which one of these bumble bee pics you think is better? Just say if I there was a competition for "your best bumble bee photo!":pac:. I always end up with like 5 pics of the same subject and end up trying to decide which is best. I've winnowed it down to two....
    2781491889_e8bcfeab97.jpg?v=0

2781497141_bd291cb670.jpg?v=0

Also, last question. Does this pic do anything for yez?? I like the curves from left to right, and of course the nice ol' droplets. But it's only a leaf... and is the white in the back a bit distracting? What do ye think? I like it. But I'm a bit cracked so.....
    2782363592_31d573121a.jpg?v=0

Thanks in advance:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Great shots. Really like the set. Fair play for going out in the rain, the risk payed off.

What camera and lens did you use for these? The colours are brilliant, its all very sharp, and the DOF is really nice too.

My favourites are #4 (which i think is the better of the 2 bumble bee shots, and an excellent picture) and 6.

/edit: just looked at your flickr page, theres lots of great shots there too, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

the first bee picture is fantastic.

the water drop is really good. maybe make it a non-standard crop and get rid of some of that white at the top??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Love #4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

Cheeeeers!:pac:

kgkiller, I used a 40d and sigma 17-70. The sigma is the first lens I ever got, and it's a workhorse, I always have it out with me.

And that bee pic is my fave too!

How did you get to my flickr though? I didn't link directly to the page did I? Thanks for the feedback anyways!

And crazydaize, what do you mean by a non standard crop? Do you mean position the water drop off-center?

By the way, how do I link the pics back to the actual picture on my flickr? In case some folks want to see it in detail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

WOW never knew the "tomy my first camera" had such good dof :pac:

I like 1 3 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I think your first bee is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Bombus pascuorum I think.

Bombus pascuorum I think.

Indeed.
    WOW never knew the "tomy my first camera" had such good dof

HAHA! Can you believe that it's actually f/1!!!!

Yea bee no.1 seems the best. You see I'm trying to tidy up my flickr at the mo, I have so many pics of the same thing, like ten sunsets over the exact same bridge from the exact same night:confused:

I just want it a bit tidier. It was ridiculous at one stage, messy photos from housepartys on it and all! Found them a new home on bebo though.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The first bee shot is brilliant, well impressive. And the water drop one at the end is really lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

0utpost31 wrote: »
    Cheeeeers!:pac:

How did you get to my flickr though? I didn't link directly to the page did I? Thanks for the feedback anyways!

You left a comment on my flickr earlier, different name (soundbeans), but i recognised the bee :)

• Advertisement

Good detective work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Excellent set. The first bee shot is the better of the two: the flowers are very well composed but to get the bee in there as well is brilliant. Those kind of flowers (don't know what they're called) are great for attracting bees, and they look good on their own too, like here.

The last photo is also very good. Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

trophy.jpg& the Winner is No. 1 bumble bee. Its really, really good.
    :pI love this kind of photography, so simple & right on your door step.:p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29172058@N07/

Advertisement