Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post delays?

Options
  • 12-09-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Play.com shipped a package to me last Wednesday. It really should take no more than 5 days for a package to get from Jersey to Dublin but here it is 9 days later and still nothing. I wouldn't complain if not for the fact that this has been happening an awful lot lately. At this point its pretty much a 50/50 split as to whether a package will arrive on time or face two weeks of delays.

Is this happening to anyone else? I rang An Post about it and was assured there was no problem but still this is happening to often for it to be a coincidence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

99% of the time, I never have any trouble with An Post. It's usually down to the supplier telling a pack of lies about when something was actually posted out. Do you have problems with all senders, or is it just Play.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Did it go first class from Jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Allow 10 working days at the most, then start to look into the matter (Although Play are generally faster than this).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I been expecting a letter from Manchester (from an Aunt) for ten days now.
    I take her word that she posted it. This is not the first time letters from her take weeks to get to me.
    AnPost seems to constantly lose then. Your not on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

ejmaztec wrote: »
    99% of the time, I never have any trouble with An Post. It's usually down to the supplier telling a pack of lies about when something was actually posted out. Do you have problems with all senders, or is it just Play.com?

Amazon.co.uk Play-asia you name it over the past few months packages have been mysteriously late. Packages from Amazon generally take only 2 days to get here but last month I had one take over 2 weeks. To add insult to injury it came by swift post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Amazon.co.uk Play-asia you name it over the past few months packages have been mysteriously late. Packages from Amazon generally take only 2 days to get here but last month I had one take over 2 weeks. To add insult to injury it came by swift post.

Perhaps your local post-office has recently taken someone on who shouldn't be there, or one of the old ones has developed some kind of problem. Some postman, not too many miles from here, developed a serious drink-problem. His van full of mail was parked most of the day outside a pub and it was taking a long time for anyone to get their post, if they got it at all.

If there is a problem locally, then they probably wouldn't own up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Hi, I work for An Post, I can tell you theres MAJOR problems with Royal Mail at the moment. Its all very hush hush. Remember the strikes months ago? Well, that was never really resolved.

Hi, I work for An Post, I can tell you theres MAJOR problems with Royal Mail at the moment. Its all very hush hush. Remember the strikes months ago? Well, that was never really resolved.

I would imagine that could well be it I've only been having problems with international stuff. Thanks.

My mother can also confirm that.
    I was telling her about my delays and she said she was expecting something too. She contacted the parcel dept' in our town and they said exactly the same about Royal Mail. They also said it was been kept quiet too!
    Strange misdeeds indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

I can confirm this too. I was expecting package from UK and after a week I didn't arrive. I rang the UK supplier many times and they assured it was posted out on time.
    I followed up with An Post and they confirmed as above that there are major delays with post from UK with delivery taking 2 weeks on average.
    My package did arrive after 2 weeks anyway, not An Post problem but Royal Mail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

What about posting stuff up the North?
    I send and receive a lot of post to/from the North and it can take weeks. If I send stuff from Dublin with An Post is it passed to Royal Mail over the border?

What about posting stuff up the North?
    I send and receive a lot of post to/from the North and it can take weeks. If I send stuff from Dublin with An Post is it passed to Royal Mail over the border?

Sadly, more than likely yes.

If its important I'd use another special delivery service. Otherwise let the person your send it to, know about possible delays.

For those keeping score, still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I had two almost DVDs which shipped Friday before last, one from Play, one from thehut.com, also based in Jersey. TheHut one was on my desk last Tuesday morning, the Play one still hasn't turned up yet.

For those keeping score, still nothing.

Same here. Near two weeks now.

I just ordered a book from Amazon. Will be interesting to see how long that takes to get here.

And once again nothing. I'm am becoming deeply frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Just for the record.

I posted a job application on a Wednesday from the outskirts of Cork City to reach the city centre on the Friday. I received a letter from the potential employer stating they couldn't take my application as it did not arrive till the Monday. That to me is pathetic service.

BTW I couldn't get into town to deliver it personally. I thought a couple of days would have been enough to reach it's destination. How wrong I was!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

I ordered stuff from the US, Cool Dogtags for the kids

Posted Friday 12th Sept 2oz First-Class Intl Parcel Rate for $2.20
    Arrived this morning Tuesday 16th Sept
    4 days including Weekend
    Thats fast ! :D

Musha wrote: »
    I ordered stuff from the US, Cool Dogtags for the kids

Should we be worried about your kids LOL :D
    Only kidding... ;)

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Should we be worried about your kids LOL :D
    Only kidding... ;)

For Kit bag ID 50 Kids with all the new Cul Camp Back Packs at Hurling training :D

Although they are boys and use everything for guns from Sticks to tennis racquets

€13 delivered for two sets, I suppose you could also use them for animals tags

Musha wrote: »
    For Kit bag ID 50 Kids with all the new Cul Camp Back Packs at Hurling training :D

Although they are boys and use everything for guns from Sticks to tennis racquets

€13 delivered for two sets, I suppose you could also use them for animals tags

Pheww... Thats a relief. LOL :D:D:D

LOL :D:D:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Had a similar problem with getting my Leinster season ticket posted out. Arrived only 2 days before the 1st match of the season. Got an e-mail from Leinster Rugby last week saying that the delay was partially caused by "unofficial industrial action" in Blackrock Post Office.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Had a similar problem with getting my Leinster season ticket posted out. Arrived only 2 days before the 1st match of the season. Got an e-mail from Leinster Rugby last week saying that the delay was partially caused by "unofficial industrial action" in Blackrock Post Office.

There was "unofficial industrial action" in the Blackrock sorting centre earlier this year. Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

My season ticket still hasn't arrived. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

for me it works like this:
    Rain - no post delivered except registered post
    Sun - post delivered

No sign again so I got on to An Post. They know nothing about industrial action happening in Blackrock but they did explain whats happening with Royal Mail. Apparently they have opened a new sorting office thats having massive teething problems.

My stuff yet again hasn't arrived either. Thats well over two weeks now.

• Advertisement

Well it arrived. Looking at the stickers on the package its possible to piece together what happened. The package left Jersey and entered Britain, Royal Mail then sent it to BUDAPEST and then it went from Budapest to here.

You know I wish I could say this is the furthest Royal Mail has sent one of my packages by mistake but I once had a package from Canada enter Britain only to be shipped to Queensland New Zealand before reaching me here.

Advertisement