Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation Broadband Forum

• 24-09-2008 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, here. I am holding a consultation forum in Dublin Castle next Tuesday afternoon on my Department’s recent Next Generation Broadband Policy Paper. If anyone is interested in coming along, perhaps you’d email me at minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie. Spaces are limited but I'd be happy to welcome the first few respondents along. Look forward to hearing from you, Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Merged into a new thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derfen

Fack me, that sounds fackin' great. shiat, I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

To confirm, that is Eamon Ryan above. The event on Tuesday will pair off Civil Service people, telco people, consumers and other demographics into small groups where between them they share their opinions on the future of broadband etc. People should sign up to go if they can even with this short notice. It's worth having your voice heard and it will be listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Fair play to Minister Ryan, and all involved in organising this. Great stuff.

I'm not enough of a broadband geek myself to go, but this place of full of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Nice to see Ministers joining us at Boards.ie! I certainly hope "the next generation" sort out the lack of broadband in western Ireland sometime soon, a 2kb/s upload rate really is tough when you're uploading 2'600 files!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Welcome to Boards Minister Ryan, hope you'll spend some time dwelling over the threads

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sounds like a great idea.

I can't see it happening if he wasn't interested in hearing what people have to say.

maybe a mod could collate a list of the questions asked in this thread to be put to the minister at the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Eamon Ryan wrote: »
    Hi, Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, here. I am holding a consultation forum in Dublin Castle next Tuesday afternoon on my Department’s recent Next Generation Broadband Policy Paper. If anyone is interested in coming along, perhaps you’d email me at minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie. Spaces are limited but I'd be happy to welcome the first few respondents along. Look forward to hearing from you, Eamon

Forget your nextgen how about giving broadband to us people who cant get it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Welcome to Boards, Eamon!

I certainly am happy to see a minister posting on a distinguished public forum, such as this.

I can't attend, because I will be stuck in Tralee, but will there be any records or minutes published on the world wide web once the event has taken place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There is plenty of reading and info on these boards that will tell you how the future of BB in this country should go. Some of the guys on here know more and have better vision than any Telco worker/consultant.

I hope they go along.........we all know who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

For those who are new around here, with high hopes, a little history lesson, and interesting reading

Progress Report on the recommendations made in the Second Report of the Joint Committee - Provision of a national high speed broadband infrastructure
    March 2006

AvAilable here http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Committees29thDail/CommitteeReport2006/sixth_report_CMNR.doc
    To save you the trouble of wading through it here is a summary

List of Members of the sub-Committee on Information Communication Technology

Deputies:
    Noel O’Flynn (FF) (Chairman)
    Denis O’Donovan (FF)
    Fiona O’Malley (PD)
    Bernard Durkan (FG)
    Tommy Broughan (Lab)
    Eamon Ryan (GP)

Senators:
    Brendan Kenneally (FF)

Summary of the Recommendations made in the Second Report of the Joint Committee.

The Joint Committee’s Second Report the Joint Committee made 12 recommendations under the three over-arching themes of ‘Planning to succeed’, ‘Market Failure’ and ‘Broadband Usage’.

Under the Theme ‘Planning to succeed’ the Joint Committee made six recommendations:
    1. Defines broadband as a service that provides at least 512kb connectivity and sets as a target 5Mps connectivity by 2006 with widely available 10Mps connectivity in 2008 being the further target.

2. Develop a workable national broadband infrastructure plan. The current national broadband infrastructure strategy as detailed in New Connections needs to be updated, a role for the private sector needs to be mapped out and detailed implementation plans, timeframes and responsibilities need to be agreed.

3. Appoint a single Minister of State with cross department responsibility for the rollout of a national broadband infrastructure and the development of e-Government services.

4. Encourage closer co-operation between the Government, the telecoms industry and the end-users of broadband services.

5. Mandate that all national, regional, county and city development plans incorporate the provision of broadband infrastructure with such plans.

6. Ensure that all new developments are ‘future-proofed’ for broadband.

Under the Theme ‘Market Failure’ the Joint Committee made two recommendations:
    7. Focus on “bridging of the first mile” as the first key policy issue.

8. Establish the proposed Management Service Enterprise (MSE) to ensure all existing broadband assets are put to full use.

Under the Theme ‘Broadband usage’ the Joint Committee made four recommendations:
    9. Introduce measures to widen the ‘reach’ of broadband technologies.

10. Improved broadband access necessitates the skills to make use of it

11. Encourage business to increase their usage of broadband technologies.

12. Fully examine the potential of Government to use broadband.

Very sensible recommendations don't you agree? no rocket science there.

Now, for the Ministers attention, if we call these recommendations the "Mark 1" and NGN the "Mark 9", would'nt your time be better spent implenmenting the "Mark 1", and making real progress now, then at your leisure, your can spend the day wittering on about the "Mark 9" NGN's, Warp Drives and Intergalactic Space Travel.

To those of you attending, enjoy the day, and, witness bull$hit in action

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I wasn't expecting this. The country is in a bad way telecommunications wise no matter what the propoganda tells you.

LLU has failed, the regulator is gutless and seemingly toothless and is walked all over by the incumbant. We have to stop counting 3g connections as broadband.

We need to aim high with our NGN solution. FTTH in every development with 50 or more houses. FTTC for the rest in towns and cities and the best we can do for the rest. We should open up the various fibre networks in the country, what is the point in running 3 or 4 networks side by side? Companies should tender for providing fibre to new areas and then the other companies should pay reasonable fees for access. If we put fibre everywhere it’s as future proofed as it can be. If we go for something cheaper it’ll be inadequate before it’s completed. The M50?

We should be aiming for beyond the recession. High tech jobs is where Ireland’s future lies. Regular manufacturing jobs are going to dwindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

There is plenty of reading and info on these boards that will tell you how the future of BB in this country should go. Some of the guys on here know more and have better vision than any Telco worker/consultant.

I hope they go along.........we all know who they are.
    Yes, like the 13 year olds who post here who have such an outstanding vision of the industry as a whole.

Not to mention all the back slapping that go one here by the Dublin Mafioso.

Good to see a minister taking the time to post on here and try and look for some balanced input. Hopefully he will get some good views from the few adults that bother anymore to post on here but I suspect the kids will ruin it and will once again make the broadband forum a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eamon Ryan

All,

many thanks for all the replies and input above. We have now reached the maximum number of people that can be accommodated at our event on Tuesday. However, I am delighted to welcome along the people who have already responded and would encourage you all to continue contributing to the debate on this issue.

Best regards,

Eamon Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭clohamon

Minister, while you're here you might look at the leading thread in this broadband section; it concerns 3 Mobile Broadband (Hutchinson 3 Ireland). This is the company that will win the NBS contract if Eircom does not.

And perhaps you might also pay a courtesy call to those that don't have broadband at all but who are nonetheless looking ahead.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

With all due respect Eamon, the time for talk has long since passed. Please do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If 3 get the NBS, we will be the laughing stock of Europe :(

eircom are bad enough but at least they have decent service where they are available. 3's service is a joke and everyone who has it is just waiting for something better to come along.

While we are on it, Ice Broadband are cowboys that need to be sorted too and Clearwire. Fleeching Irish Broadband customers and not providing anything much better than dial up for the money they get. Friend on Ice constantly has no service for 30 euro a month becuase he can't get anything else.

lol, didn't believe it was Eamonn Ryan until Damien posted. I wouldn't put it past someone to pull a prank. More ministers should probably reserve their user names here in case someone decides to make them look like fools by signing up and posting nonsense. This board has basically become a consumer forum powerhouse, more powerful than any regulator so far anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I would urge the minister to do something about rural areas and forget the cities. They have failed the people that need the service and line upgrades. Why are so many different companies offering broadband in cities and none in many rural areas??

There should be a massive investment in upgrading rural lines and cables. Many people feel cut off and forgotten and nothing ever gets done. You have to fight and fight with Eircom who dont care about anyone.

Next generation ??? Many are still waiting in rural areas for the first generation !!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Money has to be a factor. Speeds and conectivity are a major issue but I cannot see how line rental charges are justified.

The most expensive line rental in Europe!!! ISP costs are competitive but are dwarfed by the criminal cost of line rental. I would prefer a reducion in line rental even this margin was given back to ISP's to provide a better service, that way at least its money well spent.

The way in which Eircom operate in this country would not be tolerated in any other country. Why do we have to lie down like sheep and except it.

P.S. Hands up to Minister Ryan for a pro-active approach and willing to seek out 'everyday, realistic' opinions and not just consultants who are the cause of these problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What snake oil is this ?? :(

You are the only shareholder in the ESB Fibre network which is an NGN, that is you Ryan the minister who owns the ESB on behalf of the state and the citizen.

You are the only shareholder in the Bord Gáis Fibre network which is an NGN, that is you again Ryan the minister who owns Bord Gáis on behalf of the state and the citizen.

You are about to pull a special dividend of over €500m out of those two companies in the budget next month as you know perfectly well

You have made no effort to ringfence any monies for the extension of these NGN networks such as the empty Bord Gáis ducts along Gas pipes into Mayo and Navan and Mullingar and into other population centres not served by the ESB fibre.

Until you show a fraction ( even 5%) of the vision and competence of Dermot Ahern who forced the ESB to use their ring in a meaningful way and which action by Dermot Ahern was the only useful leverage applied in recent years to progress market based solutions in rural Ireland then please do not come back here ever again .

You were his shadow on the opposition benches at the time lest you forget.

If I find out that you have not ringfenced monies specifically for NGN deployment before you rape the wallets of the ESB and BG in a fortnight I will remind you very forcefully of your myriad failings .Please make sure you abolish Comreg in the same budget and replace them with something useful clearsighted and principled . For example 2 Lollipop ladies could be taken in off the street and would do a better job than the whole lot of them and it would be cheaper.

Nor do I care to attend your NGN round table . This endless prevarication sickens me :(

May I quote your useless predecessor Dempsey at you. Almost a year and a half back he said ( quoted here ) , of NGN !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055075248&highlight=ngn
    We haven’t the luxury of endless discussions, task forces or inter-departmental groups

I said ( quoted in the same link)
    The state ALREADY has an NGN , its called ESB Fibre. All NGN really is 1000base ( Gigabit capable) fibre or 10GE which is 10 Gigabit Fibre.

You have not the first idea of what to do with what you already have. How inutterably sad for any semblance of a 'knowledge' economy that you do not realise what you could do with what you already have and more so with a bit more of the same :(

Gahhh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Eamon Ryan wrote: »

There is a very high probability that this is Bubbles.

/Checks.

/Re Checks.

/Checks a third time.

On the off chance that it is you Minister, Sir. http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Bubbles

Damien Mulley vouched for him otherwise I would agree daithi, feckin Bubbles is probably registering Dick Roche and Pat The Cope as we speak :D

Have a Card

bubbleidcrisis.jpg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Damien Mulley vouched for him otherwise I would agree daithi, feckin Bubbles is probably registering Dick Roche and Pat The Cope as we speak :D

But did Damien really? :eek:

You are probably right though :) He seems to be ahead of the ball so to speak :D

Post number 4 in this very thread Daithí . Can we get back to the NGN that Ryan already has please !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Post number 4 in this very thread Daithí . Can we get back to the NGN that Ryan already has please !

Work away my little Sponge bobbie Friend. You ask question to answers.

I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dellas wrote: »
    I would urge the minister to do something about rural areas and forget the cities. They have failed the people that need the service and line upgrades. Why are so many different companies offering broadband in cities and none in many rural areas??

There should be a massive investment in upgrading rural lines and cables. Many people feel cut off and forgotten and nothing ever gets done. You have to fight and fight with Eircom who dont care about anyone.

Next generation ??? Many are still waiting in rural areas for the first generation !!

yap totally agree rural areas are a joke when it comes to broadband

rural areas are being treated dreadfully

even a petition with well over 200 names doesnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'll hopefully be attending, I've heard back froms someone in his office asking for some more info, but have yet to get confirmation that i'll be allowed to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Pm sent.

barnicles wrote: »
    Pm sent.

Same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

So could people that go, come forward? Please? to ensure it's not a hoax?

And if they have the guts, think about their position they are going to take?

If Eamon is serious here, it's utterly important to debate the State of the Onion. It would be good to have a coherent view of how to handle the next 5 years, NOT to make it into a shouting match how bad the last 5 years were, we all know that...

Advertisement