Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But Digiweb DO use a Webwise type system!!!

Options
  • 02-10-2008 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

After having numerous problems with my Digiweb broadband connection, very odd traceroutes and strange cookies and asking the right question,

Digiweb wrote to me: With regard to your query: ' Does Digiweb use any Deep Packet Inspection, traffic management or monitoring systems on services provided under account number **REDACTED**' Please be advised, not specifically customer by customer, but there is this capability for the overall operation.'

Oh yes folks, straight from the horses mouth. I read that to mean network wide and I have evidence to demonstrate that it has been active for some time now. Digiweb customers should have a close look. I looked, I'm horrified. I think this is important enough to have its own thread even though this message is a dupe of a reply under a different thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Traffic management is not the same as Phorm. It's well known that to give the majority of users a good experience that heavy users that go over quota are throttled.

VOIP / SIP is an important part of Digiweb's Metro Product, so of course traffic is examined so as to ensure QOS for the UDP voice data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The_User_Name

Hi Watty,

Keep up the interesting work.

Does Digiweb use any content manipulation system? Does it or did it tamper with HTTP traffic for instance? Can you briefly explain why a client was getting cookies that the server didn't serve? Can you outline why certain websites sometimes incorrectly report the client IP address?

I'm all for traffic management but not so keen on content manipulation. I am not talking about restricting customers who are trying to get more than they are paying for.

Does Digiweb have any advertising system partners?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi Watty,

Does Digiweb use any content manipulation system? Does it or did it tamper with HTTP traffic for instance? Can you briefly explain why a client was getting cookies that the server didn't serve? Can you outline why certain websites sometimes incorrectly report the client IP address?

I'm all for traffic management but not so keen on content manipulation. I am not talking about restricting customers who are trying to get more than they are paying for.

Thanks

Most big websites use caching services to hold their content, that includes cookies, as well as advertisers who often also add their own cookies. This doesn't mean there's any nefarious traffic manipulation going on.

I don't think that websites use caching systems though upstream network providers do.

Advertisers set cookies all the time, in fact most websites set cookies.

I'm talking about a client getting a cookie from a website that doesn't serve cookies, it gets it from somewhere but not from the website or the server hosting the site.

I'm not talking about third party cookies or cookies that for instance Google sets when you are visiting rte.ie or whatever.

There are a number of reasons that cookies may appear unexpectedly, usually down to a dodgy toolbar like My Web Search for example. I am not referring to this type of activity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I don't think that websites use caching systems though upstream network providers do.

Yes, they do.

Advertisers set cookies all the time, in fact most websites set cookies.

I'm talking about a client getting a cookie from a website that doesn't serve cookies, it gets it from somewhere but not from the website or the server hosting the site.

I'm not talking about third party cookies or cookies that for instance Google sets when you are visiting rte.ie or whatever.

There are a number of reasons that cookies may appear unexpectedly, usually down to a dodgy toolbar like My Web Search for example. I am not referring to this type of activity.

Then the domain name that served the cookie will be in the cookie, so just check that to see where it came from.

• Advertisement

I thought that webservers stored the site and caches cache regularly used content a little closer to the client. I thought that a cache was primarily used to save bandwidth and it wouldn't serve much of a purpose that I can think of if it was co-located with the web server. I learn something new every day, sometimes two things. Could you explain further if you have the time and interest please?

A cookie was forged to indicate that it originated from the domain in question.

I thought that webservers stored the site and caches cache regularly used content a little closer to the client. I thought that a cache was primarily used to save bandwidth and it wouldn't serve much of a purpose that I can think of if it was co-located with the web server. I learn something new every day, sometimes two things. Could you explain further if you have the time and interest please?

A cookie was forged to indicate that it originated from the domain in question.

I'll explain in a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Hi Watty,

Thanks

I've never heard of ANYTHING other than throttle speed (by changing Modem settings, no comcasat jiggery pokery) and enhanced QOS for Digiweb's own built in phone service.

There is no advertising partner I've ever heard of.

Digiweb is a great believer in selling a connection. What you access and who provides content on the Internet is not the business of an ISP. The role of an ISP is to provide a connection. The Mobile Operators with demise of services such as WAP, iMode and the failure of "walled garden " services are learning that.

There are lots reasons nothing to do with ISP for wierd cookies. One pixel can be another website...

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

With regard to your query: ' Does Digiweb use any Deep Packet Inspection, traffic management or monitoring systems on services provided under account number **REDACTED**' Please be advised, not specifically customer by customer, but there is this capability for the overall operation.'
    I wouldn't assume that they're using Phorm from this. DPI has many uses.

Check this out:
    http://www.allot.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=611&Itemid=88888929.

Hi Watty,

Thanks for your response. Digiweb isn't a huge company and I'd guess that tech staff are familiar with most if not all aspects of their network. I'd describe Digiweb tech staff as being very proactive and 'on the ball', so if there was something to be heard you'd have heard it. I understand that a lot of tech people prefer precision and not to be a smart alek but did you read anything of this?

Would you go as far as to state that Digiweb does not manipulate content and does not have a 'man in the middle' system and never forged cookies or work with a partner who did or does these things?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks for the PM Spear, reply sent by PM.

I note that I'm the only poster here reporting unusual Internet behaviour with Digiweb over the Summer.

Some people have helpfully pointed out how the issue could arise in a benign way.

This morning, I replicated one behaviour that concerned me and it looks to me that the specific behaviour replicated has nothing to do with Digiweb.

Advertisement