Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon Photos

Options
  • 24-10-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I thought you all might be interested in this one. I've launched a new site (100% free and non-commercial!) for race photos. It's a photo search community and searches for people in various races. Basically it encourages anyone with a digital camera at a race to take a few snaps and upload them afterwards. The photos can then be searched for by the runners in the race by their bib number afterwards. The photos by and large will not be professional, as I'll be taking a lot and as I said anyone with a camera can take them.

Last year in the club I ran with their used to be loads of different people taking photos at cross country events especially. Afterwards you'd get a load of emails from them to look at their albums - which I always did. This is just a way to keep everything in one place and the added bonus of a search facility.

Those of you running Dublin - I hope you have a great time. Those of you supporting and the friends of those running - take out your camera and snap a few pictures and help get the photos into the hands of the people who want to see them.

Check out the site - it's www.racepix365.com

Moderators, I hope this isn't a problem putting this here as it's a non commercial site...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Moderators, I hope this isn't a problem putting this here as it's a non commercial site...

Great Idea. Now, I will personally buy a pint for the first person to get a photo of Amadeus with both feet off the ground in a race :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Like the idea.

Especially when all I may be after a race is a dodgy quality flickr style snap for emailing to prove that I was actually in the event and not pay some daft amount for the "offical" ones in a frame or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

robinph wrote: »
    Especially when all I may be after a race is a dodgy quality flickr style snap for emailing to prove that I was actually in the event and not pay some daft amount for the "offical" ones in a frame or whatever.

Unless someone can strategically place themselves behind the line with a camera the best shot of the race, the finishing with the time above your head shot, will only be on the official photos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and that finishing shot with the clock in it is about the only one that I might possibly consider spending money on. All of the other ones that I keep getting sent emails about suggesting that I've somehow forgotten to buy pictures from other races would only be of use when comparing how knackered me and each of my mates were at various point on the course.

I did get the official prints from the London Marathon in '96. But it was a new company doing the photography that year I think and they stupidly sent out the prints to everyone and asked them to post them back if they didn't want to buy them. Of course nobody sent them back and nobody paid them either. The one of me under the finishing clock was a bit messed up though as someone else was a bit in the way, but there were better ones from other spots which were OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

great idea. hate those ones that charge 30+ for a pic. fair enough its their job but their prices are a joke for a copy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Great Idea. Now, I will personally buy a pint for the first person to get a photo of Amadeus with both feet off the ground in a race :-)

Exhibit A for teh defence M'am, runner 3280 is yours truely levitating home in Rotterdam (note the look of casual grace on the face, showing how effortless this marathon lark is)

SP - fantastic idea, looking forward to seeing the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Amadeus - I see you went for the "pass the guy in the yellow vest" approach recommended on another thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great idea SP. Your about page says ' It will help us to turn 42run into a national phenomenon.' Should probably read Racepix365. I'll see If I can get the OH to take some pictures, and I'll upload them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Peckham wrote: »
    Amadeus - I see you went for the "pass the guy in the yellow vest" approach recommended on another thread here.

An excellent strategy. Hoever I struggled when I ran out of yellow vests. I mean the guy in front was wearing black, whats that all about??

I'll see If I can get the OH to take some pictures, and I'll upload them.

Nice one KC... I'm hoping to be popping around the course and all. I've been trying to get the brother out. I've told him that regardless of being hung over he should be able to crawl down to Kilmainham and within 5 minutes get about 100 shots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i think someone from my family will be around. i'll get them to bring a camera and take as many snaps as they can.

nice to see this being done non profit.

in spite of all the photographers at the half marathon only one terrible photo of me turned up. needless to say i didnt buy it.

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i think someone from my family will be around. i'll get them to bring a camera and take as many snaps as they can.

nice to see this being done non profit.

in spite of all the photographers at the half marathon only one terrible photo of me turned up. needless to say i didnt buy it.
    Wow, you really are Ugly, John. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im not sure i like where you're going with that wink...

but yeah,i like being anonymous on boards so i blacked out the ole' face....that and it might have shattered your monitors.

i look like im about to die. red faced and panting.

im also kinda mid stride so it looks like im skipping.

Hey SP, I have around 90 photos, but can't seem to get them uploaded to Flickr. I've tried several uploaders. Can you filter from Picasa, or is it Flickr only?

You can use the browser uploader as well to get things into flickr. I've occasionally had trouble geting the seperate uploaders to work for a large set without crashing on me althought the browers one is not quite as fancy as some of them it's good enough for just sending a batch at once and tagging them all the same in one go.

I can't get it to upload a single photo (they all went up fine on Picasa).
    They're all 1 Megapixel (so less than 1/2 meg each), standard JPEG. I think it's a comms issue between EsatBT and Flickr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I can't get it to upload a single photo (they all went up fine on Picasa).
    They're all 1 Megapixel (so less than 1/2 meg each), standard JPEG. I think it's a comms issue between EsatBT and Flickr.

I work in EsatBT in networks and it's never BT's fault no matter what goes wrong (or so we say)!!:)

hawkwing wrote: »
    I work in EsatBT in networks and it's never BT's fault no matter what goes wrong (or so we say)!!:)
    grand so.. I'll send you the 40 meg zip file and you can upload it. :)

Hey all. Just wanted to give you a quick heads up on the site. I've been away for most of the last week so haven't really had a chance to give an update.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to those who stuck pictures up that are on this board. In total about 10 different people tagged their photos of the day which is fairly nice of them. Not all that shabby either considering the site launched a few days prior to the marathon. Slogger Jogger even stuck his pictures of the Leinster Novice CC up so there's two races there at the moment, even though everyone is really only checking out the marathon photos.

Over the next while I'll be updating the site as a whole and will be aiming to get as many races as possible up there. I'll keep you posted. Congrats again to anyone who ran in Dublin and hopefully you might have found a picture or two of yourselves on the site.

Finally one of me popped up on the search now. :D

One possible change to the setup you have, is it possible to change the link that takes you to Flickr go to the actual Flickr html page rather than the link to just the image itself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 42run

Great idea SP. Your about page says ' It will help us to turn 42run into a national phenomenon.' Should probably read Racepix365. I'll see If I can get the OH to take some pictures, and I'll upload them.

Looks like someone has been copying our copy! Check out www.42run.com - the original and best...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I only discovered this after the Aware 10k. Thanks for doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 shergar76

What a great site, just found some more pics of me pulling pained faces in the Dublin Marathon!!

Advertisement