Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options
  • 29-10-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭

Well seeing as we have a wrestling DVDs thread, maybe we should come up with a books thread. To discuss those that were released before, upcoming releases and general recommendations.

I've read quite a few over the years. Dynamite Kids, The first two Foleys, Bischoff's, Michaels' book, Lawlers and most recently getting stuck into Bret's book with Jerichos and DiBiase's next in the queue to be read.

What about everyone else here?
    Rovert, i know you're a bit of a bookworm, so i'm expecting some decent recommendations from you on this thread. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Ive read most of them.

Id first like to give a warning to some that Sport Publishing is going bankrupt among the Wrestling titles they put out in the past are Dave Meltzer's Tributes I & II books as well as Terry Funk's book. All of which I recommend. Highspots.com was the only online retailer who has Tributes I at non absurd price when I bought my copy. Just dont get stung.

These may never come back into print.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    Ive read most of them.

Id first like to give a warning to some that Sport Publishing is going bankrupt among the Wrestling titles they put out in the past are Dave Meltzer's Tributes I & II books as well as Terry Funk's book. All of which I recommend. Highspots.com is the only online retailer who has Tributes I at non absurd price.

These may never come back into print.
    I've heard a lot about the Tributes books, are they really all they're cracked up to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

The first wrestling book I read was Hogans, And my god was it full of fecking crap. Then I read Flairs which is a good read. I bought Jerichos book in New York last year and laughed my ass off on the plane on the way home, Funniest book I have ever read. Then brought Brets book away with me during the summer and could not put it down, Such a great book,Even the gf read it after me and she doesnt even like wrestling but found it to be a good read, Mainly for all the family gossip in it. Cant wait to get it signed.

Benn told I need to read Foleys first book, I heard nothing but good things about it.

dancor wrote: »
    Benn told I need to read Foleys first book, I heard nothing but good things about it.

His second is worth checking out too. I must get my hands on that. I loaned it to someone, then fell out with em (bet that doesn't surprise anyone! ;)) and the book got caught in the crossfire. I'd be more upset if it was the first one though, as it is ultimately the better book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Here would be my rankings for the wrestling autobiographies I have read:

1. Bret Hart
    2. Mick Foley (the first one)
    3. William Regal
    4. Mick Foley (the second one)
    5. Kurt Angle
    6. Chris Jericho
    7. Ric Flair
    8. Mick Foley (third one).
    9. Eddie Guerrero
    10. Steve Austin
    11. The Rock
    12. Roddy Piper
    13. Edge
    14. Hulk Hogan
    15. Chyna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I've read most of the big name ones and a few like sex lies and headlocks and the death of wcw, finished brets recently and jerichos both I'd recommend for different reasons

Have dibiases on the desk here to start and broken harts on the way I know its going to be biased but what wrestling book isnt I plan on taking it with a grain of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not much of a reader but trying to read a few more titles than normal as I didn't know we had. I work in a libary and have seen a number of titles. Hardcore Diaries, To Be the Man, A Lions Tale, The Stone Cold Truth, Hitman-My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling (we just got in a few copies), Adam Copeland on Edge, King of the Ring (Harley Race). I am particularly interested in the Harley Race one. I plan to go through a few of them soon. :)

I love reading an autobiography myself whether it be wrestling or football. Ive read most of the wrestling books released over the years and ill give you a list of my top 3 and worst 3.

Top 3 Wrestling books:
    1)Bret Harts book- So much detail and I just couldnt put it down.
    2)Have a nice day (Foleys 1st book)- always been a big foley fan and this was a joy to read. Read it 2 or 3 times.
    2)jerichos book- The funneist of all the wrestling book ive read.

Worst 3:
    1)Hulk Hogans book- Lie after lie after lie.
    2)Edges book- I just thought he should have waited a few years before releaseing it because it was way too short.
    3)Hardcore Diarys (foleys 3rd book)- Unlike his other 2 books (except for the final chapter in "foley is good") foley just rants along in every chapter. Its not the fun loveing, joke cracking Mick that we are used too.

Thats my 2 cents on wrestling books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

EdK wrote: »
    and broken harts on the way I know its going to be biased but what wrestling book isnt I plan on taking it with a grain of salt

I'd recommend that 1 too. I completely forgot about it and it would be in my top 5 for sure.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I've heard a lot about the Tributes books, are they really all they're cracked up to be?

People always say that Dave’s best writing is his obituaries of Wrestlers. When a wrestler dies the first reply to the thread about it is RIP or whatever and then the second is usually OMG! cant wait to read the Observer this week!, bad I know. The thing about his older obituaries is that they aren’t as good as newer ones, Dave as gotten better over time at writing them. On balance the second is better than the first but the first is still worth getting. Tributes II comes with a DVD. But reading about all those drug deaths is mighty depressing, the description of Louie Spicoli’s corpse is horrific and OTT IMO. The photos in both are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I would highly reccomend Regals book, I really really enjoyed that one. He's unbelieveably honest in it, you really gain a new respect for him after reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Read several but been dissapointed with most of them with the exception of Foley's first one, The Regal one looks good as he has a very interesting background and was a legit shoot fighter. Might get Bret's one since it seems to be well recommended, was most dissapointed with Bobby Heenan's, loved his commentary but his book was boring.

I forgot all about the stone cold book. I would change my worst 3 list and put in Austins for edges. The only chapter in the Austin book of intrest is the chapter about the weekend of wrestlemania 19. Theres nothing else in the book that I didnt know about already and I hate the chapter about Vince McMahon and why hes so great.

Vince, how Chyna even got into a ranking is beyond me, that was one of the worst books i have ever read! That along with The Stone Cold Truth.

Ruu wrote: »
    King of the Ring (Harley Race). I am particularly interested in the Harley Race one.

I dont want to colour your view before you read it but I was every disappointed in that one. Just too short.
    I'd recommend that 1 too. I completely forgot about it and it would be in my top 5 for sure.

Pain & Passion pisses all over Broken Harts from a great height.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I would highly reccomend Regals book, I really really enjoyed that one. He's unbelieveably honest in it, you really gain a new respect for him after reading it.

Very, very underated book. It pissed me off the he has got caught for drugs twice since the book came out.
    nhughes100 wrote: »
    was most dissapointed with Bobby Heenan's, loved his commentary but his book was boring.

His second one is better. Still no great shakes
    I forgot all about the stone cold book. I would change my worst 3 list and put in Austins for edges. The only chapter in the Austin book of intrest is the chapter about the weekend of wrestlemania 19. Theres nothing else in the book that I didnt know about already and I hate the chapter about Vince McMahon and why hes so great.

You learn nothing about Austin in that book.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

wrestling bios dont usually get released too early except a few, but it sickens me in bookshops to see Lewis Hamilton and other nothing ( as yet) people looking back at me biographies are for the end of a career unless the career justifies a couple of books

Just a kind of related opinion

wrestling bios dont usually get released too early except a few, but it sickens me in bookshops to see Lewis Hamilton and other nothing ( as yet) people looking back at me biographies are for the end of a career unless the career justifies a couple of books

Just a kind of related opinion

I though Lita's, Hardyz & Edge's were worth the read.

Most of them are worth the read but some of the younger wrestlers have achieved alot more after they are released

One thing bios need is honesty and unfortunately many of them are written to protect an image like batistas big bad book of excuses and hogans lies, brets is very honest jerichos is relatively honest and I haven't gotten to regals yet but I hear he is quite honest even if recent events highlight his stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

batistas big bad book of excuses

That was a truely horrible book, the only wrestling book that I couldn't stomach finishing.

Side Note: Today I celebrate my Boards one year anniversary. Go Me!:)

• Advertisement

How much of your sanity has ebbed away since you joined? ;)

His sanity was long gone before he ever joined

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

His sanity was long gone before he ever joined

Reported for being an ass...... Only joking about the report, but not the ass bit.;)
    How much of your sanity has ebbed away since you joined? ;)

Not that much surprisingly enough.:)

To get back on topic. I actually enjoyed Dynamite Kid's book, has anyone here read it at all, or have any thoughts on it?

To get back on topic. I actually enjoyed Dynamite Kid's book, has anyone here read it at all, or have any thoughts on it?

Wanted to get it off the book depository the other day but it was out of stock looking forward to getting it though cuz dynamite is a mad man

Some crazy stories. Especially when Sheik was busted for using someone elses urine to submit for the roid tests. Only to find that the guy's urine he'd used also tested black too!

Vince says to Sheik "You've tested positive for steroids", to which Sheik responds "Thank you very much!" :D

Dynamite is a madman, but Sheik is just plain nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've only read Foley's first 2 books. Second one is a bit lousy and I wouldn't read it again. First one is great though, I loved it. That was what led me to "smarten" up

That was a truely horrible book, the only wrestling book that I couldn't stomach finishing.

I liked Batista's book well the first half anyway

Fookin mate

Im so annoyed that the American version has a glossary of Bristish terms and slang to explain it all. Fookin Yanks

Im going to try to put a list of all the Wrestling books I read sometime tonight.

rovert wrote: »
    Im so annoyed that the American version has a glossary of Bristish terms and slang to explain it all. Fookin Yanks

In fairness, if anyone needs it, it's the Yanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Batista calling his wife lazy and all made me sick..Saying she should have helped around more, even if she did have cancer..

Advertisement