Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Thread

Options
  • 02-11-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

We really should have our own forum entirely, but I think a thread'll do.

I rather enjoy the relaxed nature of a thread derailment, but in the general public's interest, maybe we should all hang out here.

tl;dr TR032 ARE GO!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Here you go THE ENGINEERING FORUM NOW BOG OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Erm, I meant the TCD Engineers. Curious as to how you came across this thread :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

YAY.. engineering :D

When's the mini meet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

You could go for a large catch-all Engineering thread akin to the BESS thread. You get the glory of starting a big massive popular thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Hi, can anyone help? Im tring to select the correct motor. The motor simply has to pull a weight of 2kg. How would I calculate the required torque? The speed isint important but It probally comes into calulations somewhere? Does it relate to the torque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I really hate large catch all threads. Anything of relevance gets lost. compartmentalising things is betters. That said, baza should learn to stay on topic!.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

We all go off topic.. It is in our nature.. :)

And woo for the thread. :pac:

Hi, can anyone help? Im tring to select the correct motor. The motor simply has to pull a weight of 2kg. How would I calculate the required torque? The speed isint important but It probally comes into calulations somewhere? Does it relate to the torque?

Whats it for exactly?

Second year buggy project by the sounds of it.

180Nm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

catch-all Engineering thread

That caught on quicker than expected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

What is the coefficient of friction between the mass and the surface?

Erm, that person just registered. Thought I'd point that out.

Boston - yeah, I don't like all-in threads, but noone else seemed to be starting one and it seemed to be a necessity.

Boston wrote: »
    Second year buggy project by the sounds of it.

180Nm

We havnt got anywhere near that yet.
    Only doing the bridge now, the Buggy isnt till after Christmas. we hanvt been told anything about it at all...

Baza210 wrote: »
    Erm, that person just registered. Thought I'd point that out.
    Thank you.. Posting off m.boards all night so i cant really see whats going on.. Hence calling for an official engineering thread about 10mins after you started one.

Ok, once everything even remotely engineering related doesn't end up in here. keep this for miscellaneous crap.

Ok, once everything even remotely engineering related doesn't end up in here. keep this for miscellaneous crap.

Yes mammy joe.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Thank you.. Posting off m.boards all night so i cant really see whats going on.. Hence calling for an official engineering thread about 10mins after you started one.

What was that about phone interweb being better? :P

Edit: Are you using Fennec?

mathew wrote: »
    We havnt got anywhere near that yet.
    Only doing the bridge now, the Buggy isnt till after Christmas. we hanvt been told anything about it at all...

That explains why the person doesn't know how to calculate the required torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A thread dedicated for the random offtopic crap that ends up in seemingly every Engineering thread, you say?

Of course, such a thing wouldn't be necessary if people understood the concept and benefits of staying on topic.

• Advertisement

You're just jealous because you have no TP buddies go to OT with ;P

Indeed. I am so very ronery.

Nothing to do with my mod-related dislike of threads going off topic, and the subsequent cleaning up that must be done to put some semblance of order back on the place.

Baza210 wrote: »
    What was that about phone interweb being better? :P

Edit: Are you using Fennec?

A phone is better in a lecture where laptops are not permitted.

I prefer my wsxga+ screen to this qvga yoke.

Fennec?

A thread dedicated for the random offtopic crap that ends up in seemingly every Engineering thread, you say?

Of course, such a thing wouldn't be necessary if people understood the concept and of staying on topic.

It's always like this at the start. A huge degree of off topic posting until people settle down. Think of it as something to keep actually informative threads, like the error cal one, clean.

Indeed. I am so very ronery.

Nothing to do with my mod-related dislike of threads going off topic, and the subsequent cleaning up that must be done to put some semblance of order back on the place.

Wouldn't be a problem if you coaxed the admins into giving us our own forum. :P

And can you not hang out with myth? He did tp for a while.. Then joined the cool kids..;)

This is kind of cool..
    If only windows would change the orientation of my trackpad too, to match the screen..

65834.PNG

Ctrl + Alt + Arrow key, in case you were wondering.

You now have an oversized nintendo ds.

If only I could find a 10.2" touch screen for it.. and an Electronic Engineer who's maybe nearly got a PhD by now.. HEY!

Maybe we don't need an Engineering thread. We just need a Baza210's (pc/phone/whatever related) exploits thread. : p

• Advertisement

My eyes hurt :(

So when is the Engineer Mini Meet, huh?

Advertisement