Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fears legal guns ending up in hands of criminals

Options
  • 14-11-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fears-legal-guns-ending-up-in-hands-of-criminals-1538963.html
    By Michael Brennan Political Correspondent

Friday November 14 2008

THE Garda Commissioner is powerless to stop the increase in the number of legally held handguns -- which could be ending up in the hands of criminals.

The number of licensed handguns has increased from just one in 2003 to 1,800 now due to a relaxation in the licensing rules.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy yesterday said he was unable to give guidelines on the issuing of firearms licences to his superintendents -- and the courts were often over- ruling their refusal decisions.

"On the one hand, we have to licence Glock pistols; and on the other hand, we are seeing known criminals using these Glock pistols to kill people," he said.

According to figures from the Department of Justice, there are also 53,000 rifles and 77,000 shotguns in private ownership -- giving an overall ratio of one gun for every 17 people in the country.

Cmsr Murphy told the Public Accounts committee that careless private gun owners were inadvertently providing some of the firearms being used by gangland criminals. "I'm appalled on occasions to see where four and five shotguns have been stolen from houses. People have been driving around to see if there are gun dogs outside the house and they know there are shotguns," he said.

During the Troubles it was very difficult for private individuals to get licences for handguns in excess of .22 calibre. But the situation has changed due the lifting of a government order and a more permissive attitude to gun licensing in the courts.

Stolen

Cmsr Murphy said that gardai had seized around 800 firearms last year, many of which had been imported illegally but also some which had been stolen from legal owners who stored them "under the table".

"A lot of shotguns used in criminality are stolen. It's incumbent on anybody who has a legal firearm to take precautions," he said.

He is in discussions with Justice Minister Dermot Ahern about whether legislation is needed to allow him to issue guidelines on weapons permits.

Fine Gael TD John Deasy, who got his colleague Jim O'Keeffe to bring up the issue at the committee, welcomed Cmsr Murphy's contribution.

Raises questions about the licensing of handguns doesn't it? Before, up and coming gougers would rob a few shotguns from a farmer in n isolated rural area, now they can rob his Glock too!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Lets hope criminals dont figure out the legal stance this country has on Airsoft Full metal pistols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When was the last time a legally held weapon, even stolen, was used in a crime other than suicide? Illustrate you answer with comparative statistics regarding the use of illegally held/imported weapons in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Hagar wrote: »
    When was the last time a legally held weapon, even stolen, was used in a crime other than suicide? Illustrate you answer with compatative statistics regarding the use of illegally held/imported weapons in crime.

First off, don't get snappy with me, I'm not attacking all gun owners. I do not have statistics to back it up, but it is well established that a lot of blaggers used stolen firearms for armed robberies. It was very popular in the 80's and 90's, and just recently 3 shotguns were stolen from houses in Co.Limerick and Co.Tipp. Tbh, the Garda Commisioner wouldn't highlight it if it wasn't a serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

eroo wrote: »
    First off, don't get snappy with me
    Relax my good man, relax. I don't make personal attacks as a rule. It's not a personal attack by any means.
    Have you ever heard of the premise "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would be interested to hear what posters here think of our firearm laws, I don't own a gun but have fired weapons in a quite a few countries. Personally I think the gun laws are too strict over here, they won't stop a person who abides by the law from getting one.

In my understanding there is no longer a need to be doing gun owners houses to acqiure a weapon now, they are coming in with most drug shipments. I would be interested to know if there was a case of even one of these 1,800 handguns being stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The pistols, SMGs, assault rifles and whatever else is being found in the hands of the criminals are not coming from licence holders. This is a very cynical effort in my opinion, as the Gardai are very well aware of the extremly low level of thefts of licenced handguns in particular.

This seems to be a ploy to dstract from the fact that the criminals seem to be able to obtain and use their illegal firearms with virtual impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

In my view, there are too many licenced shotguns/rifles.
    I would guess that the majority never see the light of day but the owners keep them for security and even sentimental reasons.

Checks are in place to ensure owners have proper safes and limited ammunition but this can't be checked very often by Gardai. Unfortunately, these weapons often end up gathering dust on top of wardrobes or behind the back door and are there for the taking for opportunist criminals who will sell it within hours.

Pistol users, in my experiece, are very responsible and will go to almost any lengths to ensure their weapon is secure.

Gun dealers are also very compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Personally I dont think we have gotten to the level of gun ownership where theft is used as a way of obtaining a firearm. They are getting them far more easily without anyone even knowing they are in the country so why steal them?

Having said that I do think we are going down a road where increased ownership will lead to increased theft of firearms. I also think there are too many licensed guns in Ireland considering a lot of people dont use them. 250,000 legally held shotguns in Dublin alone. What the hell do all those Dubs need shotguns for???

Hagar,
    Are there statistics showing how many illegally imported guns are used in crime? Nope because most have their serials etc filed off or are never located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

It's like the whole story of there being so many thousand baseball bats sold in Ireland each year yet there is only a handful of baseball clubs/societies in the country.

;)

Chris Rock has a good solution for gun control:

Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost $5,000. Because if a bullet cost $5,000, we wouldn't have any innocent bystanders. That'd be it. Every time someone gets shot, people will be like, ''Damn, he must have did something. S**t, they put $20,000 worth of bullets in his ass.'' People would think before they killed somebody, if a bullet cost $5,000. ''Man, l would blow your f**king head off, if l could afford it. l'm gonna get me another job, l'm gonna start saving some money, and you're a dead man! You better hope l can't get no bullets on layaway.'' So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you won't have to go to no doctor
    to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back. ''l believe you got my property.''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

250,000 legally held shotguns in Dublin alone.
    There are just over 233,000 licenced firearms of all types (177,000 of them shotguns) in the entire country.

There's a big thread on this subject over in the Shooting forum:
    Firearms in the media this week

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I do not have statistics to back it up, but it is well established that a lot of blaggers used stolen firearms for armed robberies.
    The gardai have been asked to produce those statistics though dail questions to the minister for justice twice in the last two years by the shooting associations. They don't have them and can't generate them "without disproportionate effort".
    If the gardai, of all people, have no evidence, how can anyone say it's well established fact?

Sparks wrote: »
    The gardai have been asked to produce those statistics though dail questions to the minister for justice twice in the last two years by the shooting associations. They don't have them and can't generate them "without disproportionate effort".
    If the gardai, of all people, have no evidence, how can anyone say it's well established fact?

I said it is a well established that criminals used to steal firearms for robberies. It might not be as prevalent as before, seeing as criminals have easy access to serious firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Is it fair to say that we have the toughest laws aroubd legal firearms in say Europe? Even taking handguns out of the picture we need a license for an air-rifle here whereas in most counties I'm aware of these things are just brough over the counter. I have often hear people speak of a firearms officer who deals with license requests, out of interest is there one in each station?

That's pretty much fair to say Odysseus.

It's like the whole story of there being so many thousand baseball bats sold in Ireland each year yet there is only a handful of baseball clubs/societies in the country.

;)
    A bit like hurley bats being sold in Leitrim.

Rovi wrote: »
    There are just over 233,000 licenced firearms of all types (177,000 of them shotguns) in the entire country.

There's a big thread on this subject over in the Shooting forum:
    Firearms in the media this week

Thats from a letter someone wrote to a paper. Not hard evidence now, also it states how many firearm certificates are issued not how many actual firearms are legally held. You do realise people can and do have more than 1 firearm using a single license arent you?

Anyway, my original point, why do even 50 thousand dubs need a shotgun?

It's from a letter someone wrote to a paper quoting the Minister's reply to a Dail question.
    And in this country it's one firearms certificate per firearm, not per person. The best guess is that 200,000 is a good estimate of the number of people with licenced firearms.
    As to why, reasons range from sport through hunting and vermin control, to humane dispatch (for vets and the DSPCA) and starting races (starting pistols are firearms in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Thats from a letter someone wrote to a paper. Not hard evidence now, also it states how many firearm certificates are issued not how many actual firearms are legally held. You do realise people can and do have more than 1 firearm using a single license arent you?

Anyway, my original point, why do even 50 thousand dubs need a shotgun?

Why should Dublin sporting shooters be excluded?

You seem to have a very Anti Dublin attitude.

And you cannot have more than one firearm on a single license.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Karl, aren't you a Dub??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Personally I dont think we have gotten to the level of gun ownership where theft is used as a way of obtaining a firearm. They are getting them far more easily without anyone even knowing they are in the country so why steal them?

Having said that I do think we are going down a road where increased ownership will lead to increased theft of firearms. I also think there are too many licensed guns in Ireland considering a lot of people dont use them. 250,000 legally held shotguns in Dublin alone. What the hell do all those Dubs need shotguns for???

Hagar,
    Are there statistics showing how many illegally imported guns are used in crime? Nope because most have their serials etc filed off or are never located.

I think you are slightly incorrect with your information. 250,000 legally held shotguns in Dublin?? maybe countrywide. i work in the Dublin area. I know one guy who shoots. i am from the country and every farmer had a min of a single barrelled shotgun, maybe a .22lr or .22wmag.

I own a Glock amongst a few other fire arms. I hunt Duck,Deer,vermin and if it is raining down to the range with my pistol, However I am almost afraid to use it or be seen with it due to the SCARE MONGERING of the media and ill informed FG TD's. most people had to jump through hoops to get a Firearm. The Dubs had to do more due to the crime rate in their area.

I will be contacting my local TD and Minister complaining about all this media hype. It was Limerick Criminals in Bullet Proof Cars and vests!!

These things cannot be legally purchased in this country by Civi's.
    The coast of Cork/kerry and Clare needs more territorial water patrols.

The problems that this country has with gun crime is interlinked with drug smuggling. hence AK47's in limerick seized a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I will be contacting my local TD and Minister complaining about all this media hype. It was Limerick Criminals in Bullet Proof Cars and vests!!

These things cannot be legally purchased in this country by Civi's

Off-topic, but you're wrong there. There's no legal prohibition on the sale, purchase or ownership of bullet-resistant material within the state.
    The problems that this country has with gun crime is interlinked with drug smuggling. hence AK47's in limerick seized a few years ago.

To the best of my knowledge, any AKs seized from criminals have come from subversive stockpiles.

Why should Dublin sporting shooters be excluded?

Are you suggesting that the number of shotguns held equals the number of sporting shooters?

I was born in Dublin, raised in Dublin, live in Dublin and work in Dublin. Now, besides your silly statement, please explain why a Dub living in an apartment genuinely needs a shotgun for vermin control?
    And you cannot have more than one firearm on a single license.

My mistake, I was getting mixed up on the limited / unlimited certs.

Onwards, butchers and vets are entitled to have a firearm without a license so you can add whatever amount of them have firearms into the equation but it seems I got my figures wrong. The whole country seems more plausable but my point still stands.

"over the past five years, 595 firearms of all types have fallen into criminal hands in thefts on private homes and gun dealerships. Of these, the vast majority of thefts were shotguns and rifles, with 11 handguns stolen over the period"
    (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=nav-qqqid=36302-qqqx=1.asp)

So it would appear that a good amount of guns in criminals hands are indeed stolen.
    These things cannot be legally purchased in this country by Civi's.

According to what law? Its perfectly legal to own bulletproof items if you want. Whats wrong with it?
    The coast of Cork/kerry and Clare needs more territorial water patrols.

Agree with that.
    I will be contacting my local TD and Minister complaining about all this media hype.

Why? Does he own or control the media?

I understand your point concerning who is running around shooting people but the simple reality is guns are dangerous items and I find it incredible that we have more and better armed civilians than police!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

One firearm per firearm certificate is the rule. Most shooters would love to see this changed as it's a very inefficient way of doing things, but that's the law here at present (& has been since 1925).

The 200 & something thousand figure for licenced firearms in the whole country has been confirmed in the Dail on numerous occasions.

You think criminals in Dublin and Cork don't wear bullet proof vests, or maybe even have bullet proof cars?? Also, AK47's have been seized all over the country in the last 20-30 years, due to subversive weapons dumps and training camps being discovered by Gardai. Yes, it is believed that some of the gangs have been supplied with AK47's, but these were supplied by CIRA in the city, who work closely with these gangs. This fact has been done to death in the press. So why don't you highlight the facts that an INLA scrote was found to be walking through Dublin city centre with an AK47, or that bolt action sniper rifles were found in a wall in Dublin last year, belonging to criminals?

Are you suggesting that the number of shotguns held equals the number of sporting shooters?
    The number of shotguns held is around 180,000 (the remainder of the 230,000 is split between 1800 or so pistols and the rest rifles).
    Of that 180,000, the bulk are owned by farmers. Sports shooters and hunters own the rest.
    I was born in Dublin, raised in Dublin, live in Dublin and work in Dublin. Now, besides your silly statement, please explain why a Dub living in an apartment genuinely needs a shotgun for vermin control?
    He wouldn't. But he would own one for clay pigeon shooting. The people that own them for vermin control are farmers outside dublin (the 180,000 are the total number of shotguns licenced nationwide)
    Onwards, butchers and vets are entitled to have a firearm without a license
    They might be allowed to do so, but it's not normal practise from what I can see. The DSPCA lads own their own rifles (for cases where they can't get to the animal, such as feral goats stuck on cliffs, which was the example one gave me). As to vets, I know that in the foot and mouth scare they were issued with firearms by the Gardai who took them back afterwards. If they want to keep one for ongoing use, they'd get it licenced.
    The whole country seems more plausable but my point still stands.
    I'm afraid it doesn't.
    "over the past five years, 595 firearms of all types have fallen into criminal hands in thefts on private homes and gun dealerships. Of these, the vast majority of thefts were shotguns and rifles, with 11 handguns stolen over the period"
    (http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=nav-qqqid=36302-qqqx=1.asp)
    That article was flat-out wrong from start to finish, and I don't know why they printed it when they were told it was wrong last tuesday.
    So it would appear that a good amount of guns in criminals hands are indeed stolen.
    No, it wouldn't. Look into the seizure figures for firearms from criminals issued by the gardai last year and you find things like machine guns and CS spray, which are not legal to licence anywhere in the EU except to the police and military. So unless they were stolen from the Army or the Gardai, they weren't stolen (at least not in this country). Also, the fact that Gardai have intercepted firearms being shipped into the country from the continent by these savages indicates precisely where their guns are coming from. And by the way, just one of those intercepted smuggled shipments last year contained more pistols than were licenced in the entire country at the time. Steal from us? Why the feck would they? They can get them far more easily without having to break into a house (bypassing the house alarm) and the two safes te component parts and ammo are in (or the three safes, depending on the setup, oh, and don't forget that the safes are alarmed as well, with eircom phonewatch or a similar company) and making their escape.
    They just get one off one of the other savages down the pub.

And by the way, when you ask in the Dail, as we have done twice now, how many firearms used in crime were stolen from licenced owners, the response is that the Gardai don't have that information and couldn't find out without an excessive amount of time. Which means anyone saying that stolen firearms are a problem in crime is talking through their hat without proof, and I do include the Gardai and the Minister in that.
    I understand your point concerning who is running around shooting people but the simple reality is guns are dangerous items
    And noone disagrees with that. We just would like folks to understand that while firearms are dangerous, cars are more dangerous, as are power tools, kitchen knives and electrical outlets, because more people are harmed every year with any of those things than have been harmed in the history of target shooting (which has had no accidents or injuries since the earliest record we can find of a match, which was in 1844).
    We'd also like folks to understand that these are not handed out willy-nilly to anyone that wants one. There are exceptionally strict controls on their licencing in place, noone gets one who isn't personally vouched for by a Garda Superintendent as being safe to own and use one, and as to what Deasy and Mitchell were saying, well, Fine Gael is meeting with the shooting bodies next week about this and Kenny has already directed Deasy and Mitchell to attend a pistol target shooting range to actually see for themselves how regulated it is.
    I think that kinda spells it out, really.
    and I find it incredible that we have more and better armed civilians than police!
    So do I. As in, I find it not credible. Because we don't have "armed civilians", we have people who have sports equipment, farm equipment, veterinarian equipment, or firearms for hunting. By "armed civilians", you're implying the existance of an armed paramilitary force, and frankly, that's rather offensive given the enormous amount we go through obtaining our licences (background checks, house inspections by the CPO, installing security measures, granting access to our medical records, membership of an authorised range and whatever else the Superintendent asks for) in order to reassure the other members of the public that there isn't a safety risk involved.

And frankly, the Gardai don't have any right to state, imply or suggest we're a safety risk. Under the firearms acts, if the Superintendent feels an applicant cannot own or use a firearm without being a threat to public safety or the peace, he cannot legally issue a licence for one. The courts cannot overrule him, neither can the Commissioner, the Minister, the Taoiseach, the President, the Seanad or the Dail. He's the persona designata, his right to be the sole person making the decision protected by a 2002 decision of the Supreme Court.

So by saying we're a risk, you're accusing Garda Superintendents of breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Karlitosway1978 it amazes me that you are so badly informed when it comes to legally held firearms as are most members of the gardai that I have talked to.

The whole debate about legally held firearms is just a red herring. Some politicians have seen what they perceive to be a stick to beat the government with and the media have just jumped on the bandwagon. We do have a real problem with gun crime, but the root of the problem is illegal firearms, not the licensed ones. Criminals have been found to have RPGs, grenades, AK47s etc. none of these came from licensed firearms holders!! You can be sure that banning pistols will not stop criminals from having pistol, just as it did not in the UK.

One of the disadvantages of defining items such as low powered airguns as firearms under Irish law is that it distorts statistics on the number of firearms licensed, stolen and used in crime. Then the media gets hold of the figures and distorts them further. Then people take what the press has said as fact.

Sparks wrote: »
    No, it wouldn't. Look into the seizure figures for firearms from criminals issued by the gardai last year and you find things like machine guns and CS spray, which are not legal to licence anywhere in the EU except to the police and military

Just because Gardai didn't seize weapons that were stolen, doesn't mean weapons are not being stolen for use in crime. Also, please provide links to these statistics if you could.

Just because Gardai didn't seize weapons that were stolen, doesn't mean weapons are not being stolen for use in crime.
    And just because the Gardai report a firearm stolen, doesn't necessarily mean it was stolen for use in crime. A purdey shotgun, for example, would normally retail for an amount in the five to six figure range. Even a lowly rifle, like my anschutz air rifle (the same model seen here winning the gold medal in Beijing earlier this year), would be worth two grand.

GD8298107@Czech-shooter-Katerin-2230.jpg

So there's the monetary motive; and there's also the motiveless opportunistic kind of robbery as well. Until and unless we see statistics proving that licenced firearms are being targeted to be stolen for crime, saying that that's what's happening is just talking through your hat. Scaremongering.
    Also, please provide links to these statistics if you could.
    You'll find them in the [url=]Parlimentary questions[/url] thread in Shooting. Some of the specific posts are:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2204585&postcount=16
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2323672&postcount=30
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2685139&postcount=48
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3422491&postcount=103
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56529591&postcount=287
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57684580&postcount=303
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53131105&postcount=201
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54285194&postcount=209
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56085351&postcount=231
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56300206&postcount=244

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks,

Just want to chime in and give my 2 cents.

Anyone else think the Commissioner is being a bit silly.

"I'm worried about hand guns, so criminals if you are listening, there are approx 2000 in the country and here's the breakdown by Garda district"

In the last week I have seen the exact number licensed in every district. So if he's worried about theft why the hell is someone publishing their locations to the public :confused:

Advertisement