Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photobook launch

Options
  • 16-11-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

This thread is for all discussion relating to the photobook launch

taken from other threads:
    ThOnda wrote: »
    I've just got an information, that the bulk order for DDG should be here at the end of this month. And it raises a question, when and where to make it public. Ideo has excellent idea about Thursday the 4th. It won't cross any plans for X-mass parties and we could get published in the Friday or Saturday newspapers.

However it raises few questions. Is the 4th OK for you? Where is it going to happen? Who could make it happen (book a room/lounge), who will help us to create press information (Sineadw and DeVore are working on it a little), who is able and willing to attend (especiallny in Santa's beard) and how much can we spread the information about the unveiling and the book itself?

Please, feel free to post any suggestions, like a banner on Boards page with logo of the book and the date of the event, information about he event on cultural servers and in newspapers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

sineadw wrote: »
    4th should be fine for me :) I'm handling the press release - I'll be writing it and will be finding out who to send it to as soon as appropriate so that's taken care of. I'll post when its sent (usually 2 days before the event) so I don't think there's any need for anyone else to get in touch with the papers. I've also sourced some beards for us from costumeshop.ie (with big thanks :D ) but I have to get final numbers and a date for them. If anyone has any camouflage hats/gear and santa costumes that'd be deadly too :D

I think the launch needs its own topic to sort it out properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Ok, people. Who know an owner or manager of a pub or restaurant in Dublin city center who wants to get free publicity in national newspapers and lots of guests on the 4th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sorry but a thursday night is no good for most non-dubs or anyone outside Dublin working mon-fri

Would a friday not be better - im in dublin most weekends lately but fri and sat only

People might have Xmas parties on the Fri plus everyone in the DDG should be based in Dub so it shouldn't make much of a difference to them. What will make the difference is plenty of notice of the launch - something that I think we should sort out ASAP

Anybody willing to take the helm on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

So is this launch just for the DDG or for everyone who contributed to the book (or simply wants to turn up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was under the impression that it initially started as a way to distribute the books, and then grew legs and is turning into a launch. On that basis, we still have to distribute the DDG books, so Dublin city centre makes sense, as does a Thursday night. I think a number of people are planning on turning up, which is great, but not sure it would be feasible to organise around those people.

I know a pub near the Four Courts that might be willing to let us take over the place - will report backk when I've spoken to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Look if its for publicity for the book let the dublin crowd sort this if people outside can make it well great.I have ordered it at this stage I have not got the book from blurb it takes 6 days to create and it has taken week to get here.
    I would be getting the advertising for this done as soon as possible.

hopefully enough of the Dublin crowd will turn up to make a decent picture for the papers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I doubt that Thurs 4th will be good for me either. Being the 1st Thurs of the month means it's Camera Club Council night.

Would the Bar at the Central Hotel in Georges St where we met for a drink after People's Photography be a good place for a Friday night meet up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i could probably pop along for a while on that thursday (if i'm in the mood, have my driving test that day!), wouldn't be able to stay late though as i'll have school the next day though. a friday would be preferable

Yeah it was initally organised as a way to distribute to the DDG books but given the numbers involved it makes sense as a way to unveil the book! Everybody is welcome anyway!!!!

Would there be a big clash with the launch and the DCC meeting?

And the pub suggestions are all welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Why Night-time?,
    With the month that's in it & people being busy with Party's, work, etc.
    Have it Sat/Sun afternoon.....Then people that want to beer can do so after the Launch...:)

Its getting out the book thats important, on the day.

LP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

That is good idea - Saturday early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Thinking that there is a lot of places that will be willing to open their doors for daytime Launch....Top of my head.... The Trinity bar. Dame St...3 levels..The Fleet at Trinity College ..3 levels.
    Bar upstairs For daytime drinkers....Me!!!!! It means Early Launch for peeps that may have to get back to the Sticks or Work next morning...Me Again!!!!

I could talk to someone as soon as tomorrow to organize any City centre venue/Place, for a Sat/Sun afternoon event...with a bar...:)

Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

saturday afternoon sounds like a good plan!
    great idea l pearse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Saturday day's a great idea actually :D And I think it should be open to whomever can make it - again, the more the merrier!

Sooo.. 29th or 6th? 29th is better in theory but will the books be here? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

sineadw wrote: »
    Saturday day's a great idea actually :D And I think it should be open to whomever can make it - again, the more the merrier!

Sooo.. 29th or 6th? 29th is better in theory but will the books be here? :confused:

I agree with Linda and Sinead about the Saturday launch, we'd be able to get a lot more people to attend, the only downside is the press publications which in fairness to Thonda he had the right idea, but we can't have it every way. It would be nice to have our country cousins up to the smoke for the launch ;)

I know I've no pic in this years book but I've got my santy outfit thanks to Lidl's to help put the show on the road. The 29th would in my opinion be a better run into the christmas for those who wish to purchase the book after the publicity campaign, it would ensure that the delivery would get to them before the christmas cut off for posting. However it all depends on the delivery date.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

29th sounds really good. i'm up in Dublin that weekedn for top gear anyway:D

If we do decide to go with the launch on the 29th we should have the books by then, just so you know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Can we get an idea on numbers attending???

Can we add a poll to the main post asking numbers going - simply are you going to attend the photobook launch: yes or no? Can a mod do this??

probably wont get much of a reply until we firm up a date though, so what options have we got? the 29th, 4th or 6th?

Just looking at the sticky thread there and I wouldn't be too confident about the books arriving in time for the 29th now, seems like a few shipped over a week ago and still no sign!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It's the postage that's really slow though. I ordered mine on Saturday 1st, they estimated it would ship on the 10th, but it actually shipped on Thursday 6th, which isn't too bad. The DDG shipping should be quicker.

and have you received the book yet whyulittle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

No, but I went with the economy shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ideo wrote: »
    Can we add a poll to the main post asking numbers going - simply are you going to attend the photobook launch: yes or no? Can a mod do this??

probably wont get much of a reply until we firm up a date though, so what options have we got? the 29th, 4th or 6th?

Just looking at the sticky thread there and I wouldn't be too confident about the books arriving in time for the 29th now, seems like a few shipped over a week ago and still no sign!?

How about a ticky box poll - what date will you come to (you may chose more than one)

29th
    4th
    6th
    whatever other dates

Leave the poll open for 48 hours, then pick the most popular date. That gives an idea of numbers as well.

Can everybody pls vote on the poll here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055421508

New thread here to gather the numbers of people attending the launch

Advertisement