Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressers

Options
  • 01-12-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Yes i have done a search but can't find any recent recommendations :P I'm not happy with my current hairdresser and want to try somewhere new, mainly for a good cut, somewhere they'll pretty much do what you want but with helpful suggestions - any place that fits the bill?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I usually go to Zenith on Eyre Street.

I like them but I never get anything fancy done, just your common or garden wash cut & blow dry.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I only go twice a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Thanks DK appreciate the reply - anyone else go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Danica in Momento on High Street, next door to the Kings Head.

There's also a tiny place behind Park House hotel called Angel, owned and run by some Polish girls, and I have to say they have a real talent. Just bring in a photo, they don't speak much English but they do really great haircuts and very reasonable too.

There's also a tiny place behind Park House hotel called Angel, owned and run by some Polish girls, and I have to say they have a real talent. Just bring in a photo, they don't speak much English but they do really great haircuts and very reasonable too.[/QUOTE]

Not feeling quite that brave :D

Fair enough, you just asked for recommendations of hairdressers,don't see what the difference would be if youre lookng for someone new..

• Advertisement

Fair enough, you just asked for recommendations of hairdressers,don't see what the difference would be if youre lookng for someone new..

Hey I wasn't trying to cause offence, I meant not feeling brave enough to go to someone with very little english and only a photo as a guide. I'd prefer to go somewhere I can at least explain to the person what i think i want and to get some feedback IFKWIM :confused:

Absolutley sorry didnt mean my message to sound offensive!!:( I hope you find someone, cos i know how hard it is and how scary it is sitting in a new chair!

Absolutley sorry didnt mean my message to sound offensive!!:( I hope you find someone, cos i know how hard it is and how scary it is sitting in a new chair!

Thanks LadyPennyworth

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sinorita

Hi there,Why not try Visage down Market Street, Galway? I found it to be a nice and friendly salon. The lady i had listened intently to what you would like and offered her oppinion but only carried out what you wanted. You feel like a queen while you're there. Price is average, i was expecting to pay alot more because of the service.

sinorita wrote: »
    Hi there,Why not try Visage down Market Street, Galway? I found it to be a nice and friendly salon. The lady i had listened intently to what you would like and offered her oppinion but only carried out what you wanted. You feel like a queen while you're there. Price is average, i was expecting to pay alot more because of the service.

Thanks Sinorita, i'm willing to try anywhere people recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Who do you go to at the moment??

I have heard and seen good things by Cathal in Barrys, seems very talented and does both cut and colour very well.

Personally I can't say enough good about Ronan in Toni&guy, pricey but so worth it. He has never given me a cut that hasn't grown out fantastically, even if I've gone months without a haircut, or that I cant manage myself with ultimate ease. I have always found him professional and pleasant, but some would say that he is moody, but as long as he cuts good hair, i'm not too bothered tbh. Anne is very good for colour there also. Yes, they are expensive, but I do think you get what you pay for. I have sent friends of mine to Ronan and they have been very impressed.

A lot of people rave about Velvet in Barna, hard to get an appointment apparently there so I assume thats a good sign.

Trevor or Zac in the hut ain't bad either, and Pamela is pretty good for colour.

I hope this helps!!!

MH

Manuka I go to a place in Oranmore but have been having problems, a few months ago i wanted to go lighter in colour (grey coming through too quickly) and she reckoned there was no need to yet. Last time i went in for a cut it wasn't great and i ended up having to pop into Peter Marks in Dublin 2 weeks later to get a further trim :mad:

Now if you could all have agreed on one place/hairdresser the decision would be a whole lot easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

I absolutely adore John in David Martin. He's great.

I too have heard a lot of good things about velvet in barna but its hard to get an appointment. there is a girl called tara who used to work in toni and guy and was brilliant. she is out in velvet now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Grainne in the hut
    Ronan in Toni and Guy
    Went to Velvet in Barna last week not happy - but my mam swares by them. Subjective really!!

pseudonym1 wrote: »
    Grainne in the hut
    Ronan in Toni and Guy
    Went to Velvet in Barna last week not happy - but my mam swares by them. Subjective really!!

Is Ronan the main guy in Toni & Guy? If so I went to him a couple of years ago and he made a complete hames of my hair :(

It is totally subjective but i figured if at least a few people went for the same place I might get a better idea :p So far it seems to be Momento and Velvet -although the negative one for Velvet probably cancels out the positive vote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

no velvet is great. I went from having super long hair to short in one go there and the cut was so nice i didn't even get that after shock affect!

Looks like Velvet is the winner here - I had a search on Beaut.ie as well and there's a lot of recommendations for Zenith so it'll be whichever on can give me an appointment.

Thanks for the replies

Just wanted to come back on this. I ended up going to Emma in Zenith last week and she was really good. The colour and cut are fantastic, what i wanted with a bit a tweaking from Emma. I've definitely found my new hairdressers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Yea i find Zenith really good. i usually ask for Helena shes really good, couldnt get an appointment with her for next week though so have emma instead but i dont mind cos ive heard good things about her too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I went to Angel behind the park house! One of the hairdressers hasnt the best english but the nail technican and the other girls have good english and help you out. The cut and manicure i got was super and only cost €60 for the both together. Am due to go back to get hair coloured!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Zenith are great

I go to Bernie in there, shes good for when you want something new done. Really talented IMO ! Iv heard good stuff about Barrys and The Hut aswell!

Best of Luck with it!

Angelandie wrote: »
    I went to Angel behind the park house! One of the hairdressers hasnt the best english but the nail technican and the other girls have good english and help you out. The cut and manicure i got was super and only cost €60 for the both together. Am due to go back to get hair coloured!

I went there on Thursday with a photo from a magazine of what I wanted, the hairdresser is called Basha and doesnt have english but with the help of the photo and the other girls who speak english she gave me EXACTLY the photograph haircut. Even down to the wispy bits put in for fancy effect..and it came to 35 yo yos..there was another irish lady there who said half of the staff in the hospital go there as she is so highly recommended. She's now my new hairdresser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

when my hair is all cut, why does the hairdresser always ask do i want some gel or wax?? i mean yes my hair and neck and clothes are full of cut hair i would love for you to gel it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

I used to go to Barry's, i loved their massage chairs but my last hair cut wasnt the best and it cost €20 more than the time before that. Also one of the girls who works with me went there recently and it cost her €88 for wash, cut & blow dry. What a rip off. Apparently they've put in prices that vary depending on your stylists experience!!! Dont they know there's a recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shinnydan

Hi, am looking for a good hairdresser in Galway. My own has emigrated to Australia, had been going to her for over 3 years. Have long hair with highlights which look quiet natural.

Any suggestions for a good hairdresser for cut and colour??

See that Zenith are recommended a lot...are they really that good??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i know i recently said bernie in zenith was good,and she still is , but recently got a new hairdresser quite by accident too!

Max, senior stylist out in David Martin in Knocknacarra. Hes good! got a whole new style done with him and also got highlights done! Very Happy!

Youre best to read back over this thread as you'll find we are repeating ourselves! Danica again in Momento tho not for colour..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Hi all, can anyone give any recommendations for DavidMartins opposite Joyces in Knocknacarra? She wants to get her hair done in the next day or two, her usual not available. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

My last haircut was in Visage and it was a very disappointing experience. I asked the girl to shape my layers at the front of my face, and instead of a gentle curve, she just chopped a front section off. The shock of it!

So i went back in the next day and asked if someone could fix the fringe (yes, i now had a fringe) and instead of fixing it, yer wan just chopped another bit off the end... not what i meant....I left the place with a tuft. :pac:

Advertisement