Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray] - £25.47

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000SKNIWE/findhotelinth-21

Reviews
    Amazon.co.uk Review
    Not only is Planet Earth one of the most jaw-dropping, ambitious, nature documentaries the BBC has ever produced, it’s now taken on another role: as a superb demonstration disc for the potential of HD DVD and Blu-ray.
    Spread over a good ten hours, the series charts life and nature in dozens upon dozens of differing locations around the earth. Diligently and warmly narrated by Sir David Attenborough, Planet Earth calmly goes close in on its subject matter when required, and then pulls out some stunning perspective shots that are simply breathtaking. It’s hard to come up with the right superlatives to do the photography on the programme any kind of justice, and that it’s married to such fascinating subject matter is all the better.

And if you think the original broadcast of Planet Earth was something special, or you were gobsmacked by the picture quality on DVD, just wait until you see it in 1080p HD glory. Particularly some of the broader shots here are all but without parallel, and it’s a real reward for those who have invested ahead of the crowd in high definition technology.

Presented over five discs, and matching wonderful content to spot-on visual presentation, Planet Earth is now not just a landmark in nature documentary film making. It’s also a chartermark of quality for just what HD DVD and Blu-ray can offer. A stunning release, in more than one sense. --Jon Foster

DVD Description
    From the team behind the multi-winning Blue Planet comes this epic series celebrating the Earth as never before. Embracing the world’s incredible landscapes and fascinating wildlife, Planet Earth takes the definitive look at the diversity of our planet.

Four years in the making, with a budget of unprecedented proportions, Planet Earth has stretched the boundaries of natural history television. High definition photography, revolutionary ultra-high speed cameras and detailed images from the air enabled the series to capture the most amazing footage ever seen.

This stunning television experience combines rare action, unimaginable scale, impossible locations and intimate moments with our planet’s best-loved, wildest and most elusive creatures. From the highest mountains to the deepest rivers, this blockbuster series takes you on an unforgettable journey through the challenging seasons and the daily struggle for survival in Earths most extreme habitats. Prepare to be overwhelmed by the beauty of Planet Earth.

Including: Natural World: Desert Lions & Snow Leopards
    The BBC’s flagship natural history series Natural World has consistently produced amazing wildlife stories with breathtaking imagery. These two gems from the series feature incredible footage of these rare, beautiful and magnificent big cats.

"Expect everything from underwater elephants to mountains of guano and a snow leopard in attack mode… Pure Class"-- The Guardian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I'd say that is absolutely amazing on bluray... pity I have neither a bluray player or a HD tv :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I have the HD version of this series and it's stunning. At this price you'd be mad not to buy it if you have a HD setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Shoot,I played €160 for this on dvd last xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

At that price it's almost as cheap as the DVD version. Saw the DVD set for €27.99 in Golden Discs yesterday. Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Excellanto ! ,been wanting this for a while and this price is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

dubtom wrote: »
    Shoot,I played €160 for this on dvd last xmas.
    What? :D

I have it on bluray, looks amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet and I bought it. :)

Price goes up to £26.91 when you login for some reason, total £29.19 including shipping. Sterling and the euro are damn near parity at the moment so a great buy at around €31.

Thanks OP!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

dahamsta wrote: »
    I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet and I bought it. :)

Price goes up to £26.91 when you login for some reason, total £29.19 including shipping. Sterling and the euro are damn near parity at the moment so a great buy at around €31.

Thanks OP!

adam

Bought this amongst other blurays (Dark Knight is awesome) 2 weeks ago. The reason it goes up in price is due to an automatic 6.5% adjustment for Irish VAT rate once you've entered an irish address (AFAIK).

Some stunning visuals (about 80% of it shot in HD, rest SD) - 3 people in my house sat there in silence with mouthes open for a good 3 hours watching it last weekend.

Got this ,this morning. Nice one OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Ordered Thursday afternoon, arrived this morning. Wasn't expecting it until after Christmas.

Came all the way from Dublin 17!! Didn't even know Amazon had a presence here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭viv.ie

Just ordered,thanks to the original poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah Order this Saturday Great find i must say.Amazon are after getting very good with Deals at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

No blu ray and no intention of getting one so bought the dvd box set for £15.99 delivered.

Not a bad deal cheers OP :D

Order this Sat and arrived today :) Thanks again OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Great find! I use my DVD box set in school. The children love watching it. I'm gonna leave that set in school and get this one just for me at home.

Excellent.

Was the series actually recorded with Blueray/HD in mind?

Was just about to Post it 1080i rather than 1080p which is abit straight. I think Top Gear Polar Special was also in 1080i maybe thats what BBC Film in?

Was just about to Post it 1080i rather than 1080p which is abit straight. I think Top Gear Polar Special was also in 1080i maybe thats what BBC Film in?

Gotta go look up what that means lol.. I'm such a HD baby.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/28/hdtv-high-definition-tv-1080i-vs-1080p/

Most People wouldnt notice it but i am a HD head so would.

No one has had complaints about the 1080i though ,it's suppose to be a very good production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Although it says 1080i on the box my tv goes to 1080p when I play the discs.

• Advertisement

Yeah i have been reading that also, Meh still ment to be one of the Best HD Content Available.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Although it says 1080i on the box my tv goes to 1080p when I play the discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It's now only 21 squid !!!
    about 26 euro delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eamon_mccabe

Do they deliver to the republic or is just another one of those "Amazon Anti-climax's"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000SKNIWE/findhotelinth-21

Reviews
    Amazon.co.uk Review
    Not only is Planet Earth one of the most jaw-dropping, ambitious, nature documentaries the BBC has ever produced, it’s now taken on another role: as a superb demonstration disc for the potential of HD DVD and Blu-ray.
    Spread over a good ten hours, the series charts life and nature in dozens upon dozens of differing locations around the earth. Diligently and warmly narrated by Sir David Attenborough, Planet Earth calmly goes close in on its subject matter when required, and then pulls out some stunning perspective shots that are simply breathtaking. It’s hard to come up with the right superlatives to do the photography on the programme any kind of justice, and that it’s married to such fascinating subject matter is all the better.

And if you think the original broadcast of Planet Earth was something special, or you were gobsmacked by the picture quality on DVD, just wait until you see it in 1080p HD glory. Particularly some of the broader shots here are all but without parallel, and it’s a real reward for those who have invested ahead of the crowd in high definition technology.

Presented over five discs, and matching wonderful content to spot-on visual presentation, Planet Earth is now not just a landmark in nature documentary film making. It’s also a chartermark of quality for just what HD DVD and Blu-ray can offer. A stunning release, in more than one sense. --Jon Foster

DVD Description
    From the team behind the multi-winning Blue Planet comes this epic series celebrating the Earth as never before. Embracing the world’s incredible landscapes and fascinating wildlife, Planet Earth takes the definitive look at the diversity of our planet.

Four years in the making, with a budget of unprecedented proportions, Planet Earth has stretched the boundaries of natural history television. High definition photography, revolutionary ultra-high speed cameras and detailed images from the air enabled the series to capture the most amazing footage ever seen.

This stunning television experience combines rare action, unimaginable scale, impossible locations and intimate moments with our planet’s best-loved, wildest and most elusive creatures. From the highest mountains to the deepest rivers, this blockbuster series takes you on an unforgettable journey through the challenging seasons and the daily struggle for survival in Earths most extreme habitats. Prepare to be overwhelmed by the beauty of Planet Earth.

Including: Natural World: Desert Lions & Snow Leopards
    The BBC’s flagship natural history series Natural World has consistently produced amazing wildlife stories with breathtaking imagery. These two gems from the series feature incredible footage of these rare, beautiful and magnificent big cats.

"Expect everything from underwater elephants to mountains of guano and a snow leopard in attack mode… Pure Class"-- The Guardian

Cheers OP. Just ordered it.

Mine arrived last week. Its stunning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GerTipp

Cheers OP, just ordered it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just ordered it:

Subtotal of Items: £18.23
    Postage & Packing: £1.88
    Total before VAT: £20.11
    VAT: £4.33
    Total: £24.44
    Promotional Gift Certificates: -£0.00
    Total for this order: £24.44

They charge VAT at the Irish rate

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Thanks to the OP

Got this for €31.76 incl. VAT and P&P. Worth every penny! Ordered on the 11th, got it on the 14th!

Advertisement