Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological and Chemical / Genetics

Options
  • 14-01-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi guys, was thinking of doing either biological and chemical science or genetics in ucc next year, cant decide which tho, can anyone give me any info on either regards work load and content and wether ill have a social life ie be able to get wasted..like...alot...?!? thanks in advance any info is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Hi! I did Biological & Chemical.I'm in third micro now but you enter through B&C.In 1st yr the hours are long enough.9am starts every morning until Christmas and 3 or 4 lectures a day.On top of that you'll have tutorials and a few 3 hour labs every week.In 1st year, Genetics and Biological & Chemical do pretty much the exact same lectures but Genetics have an extra genetics module as well.Feel free to PM me with any questions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DavidMyster

thanks man thats really helpful ill let you know if i have any questions! anyone else doin genetics? thats kinda my main interest lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I'm in 2nd year Bio Sciences now, but started through Bio and Chem last year. The geneticists are in practically all the same lectures and labs, as said above, but the genetics class is way smaller, only 25-30 I think. In Biological and Chemical, there's 200+.

Because of this, the genetics class is way closer, in Biochem, you wouldn't recognise half the people in your course. And just to point out, 1st year is tough enough- especially if you havn't done either physics or chemistry before- but 2nd year is better.. I only have 2 early starts now, I'm off Tuesdays, and only one lecture at 12 on Fri!

Have a look at these too...
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4979097634
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7660437141
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DavidMyster

okay and does anyone know the male female ratio in genetics? lol sorry im askin so may questions just im tryin to gather as much info as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

Not actually in Genetics, but what I can see from lectures its about 60:40, girls to fellas.. you wouldn't stand anyway, there's a good few lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mufasa

Hey I'm in 3rd Genetics at the moment. It's a good course but not what you would expect initially. In Secondary school it's all mendel but in college there is none of that. The class starts with 25 people so you make loads of friends in first year! It's really interesting and there's lot of lab work. It's good, fun but hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Im in 1st year biochem. Its a grand course overall. Didnt do physics for LC and im finding it quite tough to be honest. The hours are quite long between normal classes/tutorials/pal session/labs etc. At one point there we had 4 three hour labs a week so if u intend on working getting hours sorted out can be annoying. Just keep up with your work and go to tutorials and pal sessions and u will be ok.

Advertisement