Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listed an R4 for sale on ebay, got this scary mail??

Options
  • 22-01-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I stupidly listed a DSTT (like R4) on ebay. I said there were no games on it and included my email address, I received this mail and dont know what to make of it - is it genuine or not? cfc.gov doed not seem to work and at the bottom it has that "are you a pc" thing. I've removed the listing and mailed the email address saying I did not realise the cards were illegal. I'm worried :(

Subject: Fraud Commission

Sent By
    "police police" <counteringfraud@live.co.uk> On: 22 January, 2009 2:41 PM

CFC.gov

The Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland CO/REF - A316453

It has come to our attention that you may have been purchasing or selling counterfeit goods via -

Illegal downloading and distribution of Nintendo console games.

This is illegal under section 67 of the Information Technology Act 2000 and

The UK Fraud Act 2006 and if convicted you will face a criminal record for theft and could face a large fine or even a prison sentence.

The Countering Fraud Team works closely with web sites such as eBay and Amazon to detect and prosecute any individual attempting to buy, sell, download and distribute any illegal software.

To date Nintendo and other companies such as Sony and Microsoft have successfully prosecuted and received millions in fines, as the downloading of each individual game is charged at a retail value.

In the next 2 days we will be working closely with eBay, Amazon and other websites to access your account/s and see if you have made any recent purchases of downloading material such as R4 NDS, DSTT and N5 cartridges for use with Nintendo Ds and Ds lite and contacting any person/persons which may have purchased these items from you so we can check the legality.

If we find you to be in breach of any of the above laws the local police will be informed by our office and you will be arrested and prosecuted with immediate effect.

If you are found to be within the law please understand we have to investigate all matters that have been reported and no further action will be taken. For further assistance please contact us at counteringfraud@live.co.uk and quote our reference at the top right of this letter.

Rod Jones

CRB DDT

Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland

Are you a PC? Upload your PC story and show the world Click Here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Knifey_Spooney

I wouldn't worry overly about it. The R4 and its clones were originally designed to allow programmers to run homebrew etc. They're not illegal and thus you've done nothing wrong.

However Ebay working with Nintendo and both are b@st@rds when it comes to the Carts and the email is probably Legit, I wouldn't re-list it if I were you. Otherwise don't worry too much you've broken no laws and really they're trying to locate the major sellers....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As long as you aren't selling the R4 with any games on it you won't be legally prosecuted and if you are you will will win. However Don't expect ebay to look too lightly on it. They could in all likelihood ban you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Cant imagine the police using an email address @live.com.

Probably just someone else selling R4's on ebay at a dearer price trying to scare off the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's a fake email. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The first clue that something is wrong is that it's from a free email address.

It lists a website and organization that doesn't exist.

There is a long list of reason to put that email in your spam folder. Could also be the start a phishing scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Sent by police police"

** snigger **

Oh come on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just spotted that basquille. :)
    Fake fake fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Cant imagine the police using an email address @live.com.

Probably just someone else selling R4's on ebay at a dearer price trying to scare off the competition.

+1

Was it sent to your email address or to your message folder in your Ebay account?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    +1

Was it sent to your email address or to your message folder in your Ebay account?

It was sent to my email address ...... because I stupidly put it in the auction (any questions mail me at x@.x)

A quick google on various key phrases (S67 of the blah blah blah :rolleyes: ) will put your mind at ease. Relax and eBay away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland...

Hmm I googled them, and for some strange reason, they don't appear to exist. :p

This is a scam, nothing more. I am sure that they will ask you for your e-bay account details and passwords to investigate further. Call the police police lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Knifey_Spooney

E-Bay do have an anti R4 rule though and you'll probably have it pulled once someone tries to buy it, just get them to email you the address etc.

This happened to me, I was trying to shift 2 R4 cards I had on Ebay, found a buyer in Dublin, ebay pulled my auction and when I put it back up they threatened to ban me from selling. Luckily I got my phone no. to the buyer prior to ebay pulling the sale and everything was fine.

But yea on closer inspection of of the email I'd just ignore it. And ebay may or may not notice your sale of a single cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

E-Bay do have an anti R4 rule though and you'll probably have it pulled once someone tries to buy it, just get them to email you the address etc.

This happened to me, I was trying to shift 2 R4 cards I had on Ebay, found a buyer in Dublin, ebay pulled my auction and when I put it back up they threatened to ban me from selling. Luckily I got my phone no. to the buyer prior to ebay pulling the sale and everything was fine.

But yea on closer inspection of of the email I'd just ignore it. And ebay may or may not notice your sale of a single cart.

well, i got such a fight i immediately pulled the auction anyway.

thanks to everyone for their opinions btw - until a few days pass i guess i'll still have that uneasy feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Id just ignore the situation, but dont list the item again, it seems to be a warning shot to be honest to scare you into thinking "christ, shouldnt do that" athough to be fairly honest they should have @gov.uk as their email address and not live.co.uk because anyone could create that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Even if they did have a gov.uk address you're in Ireland, they're in the UK. They're not going to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭pulpfictionost

Haha, the 'Countering Fraud Commission UK & Ireland' thingy does not exist!
    hahahah, i would hav been had aswell, scary email for sure!

My guess is another r4 seller sent you this!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would email back saying that no such fraud team exists and that you have reported them to the police & ebay yourself, since posing as a member of a law enforcement agency, real or not, is a criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 iamirish

contacted http://www.consolemodz.com where i got mine about it and set they are totally legal for homebrew soft it depends how u use this is how its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Patricksla

Got this email today, R4's are totally legal. This looks to be from one of the competitors trying to freak people out, I had a guy from NDSmemory.com trying to sus me out last week.

Woudn't worry about it. I'll post exactly who it is when I pull thier IP from their Email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

1. why would there be a UK & Ireland body doing this - we live in ireland & there is no precident for a cross border body as we both have different legal systems...

2. they use a free email address??!?

3. why would they email you to tell you they are going to investigate you - if they were for real they would investigate you & then prossecute you...

Report the email to ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldn't go worrying about an email from someone calling themselves 'police police' TBH.

Now if you get a mail from 'FBI FBI', then you're in trouble...

Advertisement