Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPES

Options
  • 13-02-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys, I'm a current sixth year student, and like the rest of us, utterly confused about what to do! I'd really appreciate if anyone could dispense some advice about PPES, if you'd recommend it, is it very difficult, is there the option to study a language (I think there is through the broad curriculum, but I'm not sure.) Also any info on the Political Science courses in general would be appreciated, I was under the impression that they were excellent, but there have been a few dissenting voices on the forum.
    Also European studies, I foolishly chose to study no European languages in school, and have Latin instead, yet I have learnt Spanish to a fairly good degree, and will be able to improve it alot hopefully in Spain over the summer, would I find great difficutly in this course? Whats Russian like?
    Finally, any opinions on History and Political Science, or Law and Political Science? Thanks to anyone still reading this! All correspondence is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Always scroll down the page before posting a thread.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055479429

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Well, to be fair, that thread has nothing to do with the actual course. It seems to be more a debate over the validity of the Leaving Cert.

Anyway, I'm a first year PPES student. I had always thought of doing single honours Philosophy but changed my mind near the end of the year and so went for this, thinking that it would give me more time to decide what I want to do, which it most certainly has.

I think that we drop one subject a year and you can end up doing single honours subject by the end of your four years, OR, you can do a TSM by the end. Don't quote me on that though.

Now, about the course content. It's kinda meh. It's quite bland sometimes with the exception of Philosophy which I do love. I do think this is to do with what courses we are doing in the rest of the subjects. 'Introduction to Economics' , 'Introduction to Political Science' , 'Introduction to Sociology' and then 'Maths and Statistics' whereas in Philosophy we do 'Central Problems in Philosophy' and 'History of Philosophy'. I think that because they're all introduction courses they're bound to be a bit boring. Also to remember, there is quite a lot of Maths in Economics. It's not too hard though, just keep up with the homeworks and you should be fine.

Language wise, you can't do that through the course itself, but Trinity do offer night classes in languages, if you're thinking about doing these, apply ASAP. Literally, the day you get the form. My friend applied pretty much straight away and still didn't get it.

I'm not sure about Political Science. I hated it at first but started to love it as we spoke more about the Israel/Palestine conflict. It's quite dry as it's mostly theory but again, I reckon it'll really pick up in second year. Our lecturer brings in a huge amount of guest speakers which are usually very good and make the course a lot more worthwhile, for example, we had the Israeli Ambassador in a couple of weeks ago which brought about a lot of controversy. There were several bodyguards in the lecture hall!

Feel free to ask me any questions though. I know how annoying it is asking questions on boards and never getting a reply so hopefully I can be off help! Feel free to PM me too.

On a final note, I have found that a lot of people expected the course to be really involving. That they would wake up in the morning and WANT to get up for their daily lectures. I can't see this happening for anyone, in any course to be honest, regardless of how much they love it. People who came into college with this expectation seem to be very underwhelmed. This may happen for you, that you are that involved in the course and college but the chances are it won't. I don't want this to be all doom and gloom because this isn't necessarily a bad thing, some parts of every course you will find very very boring, but then certain parts will really interest you.

Hopefully I've been quite informative, again, any more questions feel free to ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PeterRo

Yeah I checked that post before, It was entirely what I WASN'T looking for. Thanks for the very informative reply, it's really nice to get someone who takes the time out to give an honest evaluatation like that. I think this might be the course for me, It's good to get that tip off about the languages you mentioned, that could really save me alot of bother. I'll be sure to PM you if I have any further questions, I'll need to find said questions first however!
    Thanks a mill,

• Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

well i can't really add much to what Timans said just there, but i would second it. Im in 1st year Philosophy and Political Science, and chose it over PPES because i didn't want to take economics. However, one of the modules I'm required to take in 1st year is "Introduction to economic policy" and its not too bad. Its a different economics course to that which the PPES people take and is much more language based than theirs, so if maths isn't your cup of tea it's not a problem. I'm also taking Sociology as a module, the same as PPES, the only difference being we don't have the option to continue with it next year.
    Definately agree with Timans on the Political Science front; it is quite dry. I chose the degree more so for the Political Science aspect moreso than Philosophy, but I'm finding the Philosophy the more stimulating and interesting of the two. Our lecturer for Political Science is brilliant though, but her lectures are evry theory based, which obviously is very important, but it is the many guest speakers which add the extra dimension of current affairs and opinions to the mix.
    Philosophy is brilliant. We take two modules, as mentioned above, and get new lecturers for each every 8 weeks which keeps it fresh and interesting. I feel people underestimate the value of philosophy as a degree, including myself until I started it, but through it you touch so many aspects of life, from maths to God.
    In Phil/Pol you study both subjects until 4th year and then you can study one, the other or both and I'm pretty sure you get a double degree anyway, no matter which you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey sorry to bump this thread.

I put PPES down on my Cao below Law and Political Science, but honestly I am not really a top class student. I know PPES is really new, what were the points last year, were they far below law (545) or is this a kinda waste of CAO space ?

(Btw I like the look of the course a lot, I just love law more)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I think points for PPES last year were 505.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

errlloyd wrote: »
    I put PPES down on my Cao below Law and Political Science, but honestly I am not really a top class student. I know PPES is really new, what were the points last year, were they far below law (545) or is this a kinda waste of CAO space ?

Don't rank courses on how high the points are. List the courses you want in the order you want them and if you get the points fantastic. If you don't, that's unfortunate.

Yeah don't worry I'm not, I am ranking them based on what Uni I want to go to first, then after that what course I want to do. I really really want to do Law tbh, and after that anything which involves enough Law to get me into Law School without another diploma, then I have PPES.

Can you guys talk tell me about hours, workload and exams in PPES?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am ranking them based on what Uni I want to go to first, then after that what course I want to do.
    Jesus.

The university you go to should be secondary to any course you want. If you get sick of the university you're in, you just need to wait it out. If you get sick of what you're studying, some tough decisions may need to be made.

By that logic I would put down Law in every UNI in Ireland as my top 10 CAO choices.

Trinity
    UCD
    UL
    NUI Gal
    UCC
    NUI Maynooth

Ect, ect, ect.

Sorry that logic doesn't work for me at all, and I am 100% sure that's not what you did. Not only that but your logic fails again, if I am in trinity I have 3 weeks to decide I don't like my course and change, but if I am in UCD I can't decide in the first 3 weeks I don't like my college.

Not only that, but atm I am picking a subject based on very little experience, a few open days and a few prospectus, I am picking a uni based on location, facilities, reputation, student body, what my friends are doing and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Boxaroo

Hi Timans hope you don't mind me messaging.I'm in TY now and considering doing PPES. I'm worried I won't qualify for the course and all my family are say I'll never do it.I was wondering could I know your leaving cert results for an idea of the type of effort that would need to be put in

Advertisement