Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Otter in the City

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Following up on the earlier thread about otters here's an observation i made today 20/02/09. I was walking from Heuston Station to the city along the quay oppsotite the Guinness factory when i noticed something in the water. From a distance i was sure it was a cormorant but as i got closer i couldn't believe my eyes it was in fact an otter. I've attached some pics from my camera phone (not the greatest quality) but what a great start to the day. When you think it's all doom and gloom regarding the economy an encounter like this really lifts the spirits...enjoy the pics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Sorry forgot to attach the pictures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Cool. Great endorsement of our quality of life here in Dublin. How many capital cities in europe would you see this? Obviously fond of the black stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

They're brilliant!

Wonder if he escaped from the zoo overnight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That is amazing! Fair play OP, going to link this thread to Dublin City, some of the people there would love to see that...

Hope you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

Linguo wrote: »

Wonder if he escaped from the zoo overnight:D

Au contraire ....

Otters!

Apparently Dublin may be the only european city with otters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

lightening wrote: »
    That is amazing! Fair play OP, going to link this thread to Dublin City, some of the people there would love to see that...

Hope you don't mind.

I'd never have seen this thread if you hadn't. That's brilliant. Nothing like a bit of wildlife to lift the spirits. Cheers, OP.

Remember seeing a whole family of them in Lourdes. Stood on that bridge for about half an hour watching them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Great photos. Sadly only seen one dead before, walking up from the Pepper Cannister to Baggot Street, that stretch of canal, a car had just hit one, it had steam still rising from it when I stumbled across the body. Amazing fur\tail\claws, not something you'd forget in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wow Great Photos!!!

I actually spotted one last month walking along the Liffey between the War Memorial gardens and Chapelizod. Unfortunately I did not have my camera at the time. There are lots around between Island Bridge and Chapelizod. Just have to keep your eyes peeled ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Nice pictures stevens , well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Even more stunning than the now extinct celtic tiger, some luck to see it and get pictures.
    Bryan

• Advertisement

Thanks for the messages. Yes it was great to see, I've seen Seals up there before but never an otter although i did see one under O'Connell bridge last year. Hopefully it's a sign that the river is less polluted and who knows it might become more frequent sight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Would you be interested in getting these pictures in the paper?

You can do with them what you like....although the quality isn't great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

This is really brilliant thanks for the pics,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Excellent pics and news. I have been hearing reports of the creatures from canals in the city but you made my week with these. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've been watching the Lee in Cork for a couple of years for these:

3343248559_8cc5810718.jpg

3343257869_aacf1b6f3b.jpg

Finally caught them this morning, I just wish I'd had a longer lens with me.
    I'll start carrying it and wait another couple of years :)

Fantastic shots. I'm originally from Cork myself and have seen them at the Regional Park in Ballincollig along the River Inniscarra. Whereabout along the Lee did you these 2?

I've been keeping my eye for the one I saw in the Liffey but no luck yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

stevensi wrote: »
    Whereabout along the Lee did you these 2?

the stretch by Jurys/UCC. I'll probably never see them again :)

Advertisement